ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Released

FromSoftware has cast the Shadow of the Erdtree with the launch of this first DLC for ELDEN RING, the action/RPG co-designed by author George R. R. Martin during his free time. Available on PC and consoles, it adds new content and challenges to the already challenging soulslike. The Official Launch Trailer features a cinematic introduction of what to expect. The Windows edition is on Steam at bust-out retail pricing with no launch discount. Here's word:
ELDEN RING Shadow of the Erdtree adds an expansive new experience to ELDEN RING, the intriguing world created by FromSoftware, Inc. director Hidetaka Miyazaki and George R. R. Martin, author of the fantasy series "A Song of Ice and Fire.”

In ELDEN RING Shadow of the Erdtree players step into the Realm of Shadow to embark on a new adventure full of mysteries and danger, setting off on a journey where they will confront threatening bosses and discover new spells, abilities, weapons and armor. Following in the footsteps of Miquella, the once tarnished legions who rose to Elden Lord may now need to leave their grace behind, as they enter a sinister new chapter and unravel the dark side of the ELDEN RING story.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree
Jun 24, 2024, 08:19
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 24, 2024, 08:19
Jun 24, 2024, 08:19

Elden Ring had this weird effect on my memory of it: I loved it while playing it, but I remember it as "Meh, it's basically just combat in a beautiful world that's just a shallow backdrop for it". So when I think about the DLC, I'm thinking of just more combat and that's not enticing.

The cult of the Elden Ring is legion, though, and the praising reviews got my wallet buzzing.
Where are the adults?

Jun 23, 2024, 05:42
Flo

Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 23, 2024, 05:42
Jun 23, 2024, 05:42
 Flo

coldcut wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 05:02:
Frijoles wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 14:42:
I regret purchasing the DLC at this time. Locking it behind not just an optional boss, but one that's a pain in the ass to kill, is evil.
Believe me, Mohg is much easier than basically anything in the DLC
Did not plan on buying the DLC since I was pretty much done with Elden Ring after one playthrough.
Turns out I started a NG+ with my char last year and I'd have to go through Radahn and Mogh again to access the DLC.
No way
Anyway, I ploughed through Radahn and Mogh and arrived in the Shadow Lands at about lvl 135. Hot damn this is NOT a walk in the park even with my Uchigatana +25.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Jun 23, 2024, 00:01
Kxmode

Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 23, 2024, 00:01
Jun 23, 2024, 00:01
 Kxmode

Meanwhile I'm just trucking around the shadow realms laying waste to everything. After all, I am an Elden God. 😁
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Jun 22, 2024, 05:09
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 22, 2024, 05:09
Jun 22, 2024, 05:09

Frijoles wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 21:48:
RogueSix wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 16:09:
And you, Sir, need to git even gudder!

I'm happy to say, after 12 attempts, I have gotten gudder and killed the boss. With help. Ok the other guy did most of the work, but I healed myself real well.

Gratz, dude ... and now delete your save and do it again solo to prove that the gud gittin' is real and sustainable!
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Jun 22, 2024, 05:02
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 22, 2024, 05:02
Jun 22, 2024, 05:02

I regret purchasing the DLC at this time. Locking it behind not just an optional boss, but one that's a pain in the ass to kill, is evil.
Believe me, Mohg is much easier than basically anything in the DLC

Jun 22, 2024, 00:24
Jim
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 22, 2024, 00:24
Jun 22, 2024, 00:24
Jim

Frijoles wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 21:48:

I'm happy to say, after 12 attempts, I have gotten gudder and killed the boss. With help. Ok the other guy did most of the work, but I healed myself real well.
what type of build are you using? Last game I used a flames of the redmain build and he went down fairly easily. Of course that had been nerfed since and I was at the beginning of NG+ so I just started up a new build.
But in terms of builds he was always weak to bleed and that still is effective, although the last patch nerfed a lot of the stance break of heavy weapons.

Jun 21, 2024, 21:48
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 21:48
Jun 21, 2024, 21:48

Jun 21, 2024, 19:11
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 19:11
Jun 21, 2024, 19:11

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 16:57:
phinn wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 16:54:
Simon Says wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 16:48:
Open worlds like this just aren't for me, I prefer the labyrinthine daedaluses of the Dark Souls serie in particular.

You should check out the DLC, it's more vertical and more compact, they don't really show it in the videos, but it feels more labyrinth as if it's Dark Souls 4 to me. I of course hope they make another game in that series someday, or even more so a Bloodborne 2 but probably never will. DS3 DLC had the perfect ending to the trilogy. I still gotta play AC6, I heard their newer engine now does up to 120fps which is nice.

They call it out specifically in the store description, the DLC features open fields as well as "dense new legacy dungeons."

Might be worth checking out then. *crosses fingers*
Thanks a lot for the info despite the previous cynical comment.

Cheers!

Jun 21, 2024, 16:57
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 16:57
Jun 21, 2024, 16:57

phinn wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 16:54:
Open worlds like this just aren't for me, I prefer the labyrinthine daedaluses of the Dark Souls serie in particular.

You should check out the DLC, it's more vertical and more compact, they don't really show it in the videos, but it feels more labyrinth as if it's Dark Souls 4 to me. I of course hope they make another game in that series someday, or even more so a Bloodborne 2 but probably never will. DS3 DLC had the perfect ending to the trilogy. I still gotta play AC6, I heard their newer engine now does up to 120fps which is nice.

They call it out specifically in the store description, the DLC features open fields as well as "dense new legacy dungeons."

Jun 21, 2024, 16:54
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 16:54
Jun 21, 2024, 16:54

As an aside, it's amazing this game blew up on Steam Charts again, it's showing #3 most played game right now which I just love. It's very apparently with all the funny messages on the ground in game, and like tons of people helping with every boss.

Jun 21, 2024, 16:48
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 16:48
Jun 21, 2024, 16:48

Looks like more of the same.

And since I didn't even finish the original game *shrugs*.

Edit: Seems like I might find some labyrinthine fun in the DLC according to comments above, I'll look into it.

Still waiting for Dark Souls 4 or Demon's Souls 2.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2024, 19:12.

Jun 21, 2024, 16:42
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 16:42
Jun 21, 2024, 16:42

RogueSix wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 16:07:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 14:05:
... need to reattempt that first ghost knight miniboss a bit though, he feels tankier than anything else I've come across yet. :|

git gud

You could also try more skill than luck. That might help, too!

Believe me, I would if I could... getting a bit old for just getting good at this point. This guy feels like some people will have a very easy time with him, if they can just keep responding correctly to his heavy attacks... I can do a few and get some hits in, but it's chipping away at the iceberg of his health. No summons here either, for some reason. so I eventually mess up the blocking dodging and die in 2-3 hits. Overall poise break seems to be nerfed across the board, or these enemies just have insanely high poise. I'll try some other weapons on him later, had to take a break from playing to do some house work, go to the store, etc.

Same thing for the new fire giant/fire basket guys... dodge/jump perfectly like 10 times, do about 3% damage with a maxxed weapon on him, eventually mess up the jump order and die.

I am tempted to just skip these guys and just farm the DLC level up shards, but I've cleared the first boss, the caster giant miniboss, bullshit scorpion groups, hammer knights, etc. got to one soft-lock wall on the West side, need to go back East now, but I'll try to clear this machine gun ghost knight bastard and first fire basket giant first.

*EDIT* Had to change up my Physic potion, went Stamina + Stamina Regen to just Block Blackgaol Knight 400 times in a row and counter him, finally won. Killed the first Fire Basket Giant, with about 300 swings of the ice axe. Also went full heavy armor, tower shield, Dragoncrest Greatshield Talisman, plus Greatshield Talisman, plus maxxed out katana. Blood Cheese + Block. You do get a pretty cool looking armor set from the knight though!

*EDIT 2* Scratch that, awesome looking armor set, that has the highest poise in the game? Excellent. I am still at med encumberance to, barely.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2024, 20:50.

Jun 21, 2024, 16:41
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 16:41
Jun 21, 2024, 16:41

I just finished attempt #10. 3 out of the 10, I died. The other 7 times, the other person died. It's fucking stupid, as expected of FromSoft. Combined with no fixes for the shitty keybinding, worse than lack of widescreen (drawing it and then covering it), and shit performance... I don't know what I expected. The game is fun, but FromSoft does everything they can to get in the way of that. Of course, I could just be speaking due to frustration of wasting time on the fucking boss that nobody can kill.

Are you talking about Mohg? He wasn't too bad just summon a mimic tear or better yet jolly co-op, I had already beat him 2 years ago not sure if he's buffed but been helping people summon online lots of downs (which gives you a massive amount of souls for easy leveling btw). There are a couple main tips that make the fight easier: (1) Mix into Physick a Purifying Crystal Tear, use during phase 1, as it says in the item, it mitigates blood loss, this will save you heals going into phase 2. (2) use Mohg's Shackle in phase 1, it'll stun him to let you get a bunch of quick hits in.

You will notice very quickly in Shadow how weak you feel, you will start leveling with these things called Scadutree Fragments. And quickly start powering up, I didn't read much about it yet, but it basically gives you +5 stats with each one or something. After a few of them at the bonfire you start feeling a lot stronger.

Performance is great imo, once you get used to 60fps, yea it would be nice to run at 150fps or whatever but who cares.

Jun 21, 2024, 16:09
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 16:09
Jun 21, 2024, 16:09

Seeing the amount of people summoning online jolly coop outside Mogh is just amazing,

I just finished attempt #10. 3 out of the 10, I died. The other 7 times, the other person died. It's fucking stupid, as expected of FromSoft. Combined with no fixes for the shitty keybinding, worse than lack of widescreen (drawing it and then covering it), and shit performance... I don't know what I expected. The game is fun, but FromSoft does everything they can to get in the way of that. Of course, I could just be speaking due to frustration of wasting time on the fucking boss that nobody can kill.

Sheesh... what a feckin' n00b show, man...

... says the dude who hates souls-likes with a passion and would have wrecked his apartment like a bulldozer after ten (or more) attempts .

Jun 21, 2024, 16:07
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 16:07
Jun 21, 2024, 16:07

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 14:05:
... need to reattempt that first ghost knight miniboss a bit though, he feels tankier than anything else I've come across yet. :|

git gud

You could also try more skill than luck. That might help, too!

Jun 21, 2024, 15:38
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 15:38
Jun 21, 2024, 15:38

Kxmode wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 15:18:
Placing the entry point at a ER boss is a skill gauge to ensure "you are prepared!" for the Shadow realm.

This was my thought as well. Dying here means I'm not ready for the DLC (level 150). I'm mainly just frustrated. Wasting materials to summon someone who dies in the first half of the boss fight is really annoying.

Jun 21, 2024, 15:18
Kxmode

Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 15:18
Jun 21, 2024, 15:18
 Kxmode

That's literally how Fromsoft creates their games. Everything is hard, even tracking quests. This also speaks to the rumored difficulty of the DLC, which is more challenging than the base game's content. Placing the entry point at a ER boss is a skill gauge to ensure "you are prepared!" for the Shadow realm.

However, all that is moot if you use a cheat/trainer.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Jun 21, 2024, 14:42
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 14:42
Jun 21, 2024, 14:42

Seeing the amount of people summoning online jolly coop outside Mogh is just amazing,

Jun 21, 2024, 14:05
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 14:05
Jun 21, 2024, 14:05

Unknown wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 13:35:
Sadly, still no native Ultra-Wide Monitor support.

Yes, but if you can tolerate playing offline (offline is a bonus to me ) you can use the Ultra Widescreen and Black Bar remover mods on Nexusmods. I haven't had any mods broken by this new patch + DLC, actually.

I've killed the first boss (lion head guy) and cleared a decent amount of the first couple of zones... need to reattempt that first ghost knight miniboss a bit though, he feels tankier than anything else I've come across yet.

Jun 21, 2024, 13:35
Re: ELDEN RING: Shadow of the Erdtree Jun 21, 2024, 13:35
Jun 21, 2024, 13:35

Sadly, still no native Ultra-Wide Monitor support.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older