Counter-Strike Turns 25

A post on X announces it is the 25th anniversary of the launch of the original Counter-Strike modification for Half-Life. Looks like we missed the initial launch here, as our first story on the mod was a week later, reporting on the first beta patch. Here's the completely objective post from the CS2 account:
Happy 25th birthday to the greatest video game ever made, Counter-Strike.

A Half-Life mod which has spawned communities, created memories, and established the greatest esport of them all. We're grateful to have the most passionate players in gaming.

Here's to 25 more! 🎂🎉
View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25
Jun 22, 2024, 07:35
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 22, 2024, 07:35
Jun 22, 2024, 07:35

Sepharo wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 03:55:
Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2024, 07:46:
I loosely befriended Cliffe and ended up spending a lot of time in the CS chats before the CS release. I played it, and will take credit for the knife, even though I'm sure the idea was there before I let people know it was an obvious way to fix the issue of everyone running out of ammo.

This is an absolutely wild statement... but I believe you... and will tell your tale and share your glory.

There's supposed to be some sarcasm there, where 19 year old me was convinced, because the message board denizens were, but now I'd wager any amount of money Gooseman was already working on it or had the idea.

Jun 22, 2024, 04:01
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 22, 2024, 04:01
Jun 22, 2024, 04:01

I think the 25 year anniversary thread for CS is definitely lacking this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Xdi4T8mgI
So now that's rectified

Jun 22, 2024, 03:55
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 22, 2024, 03:55
Jun 22, 2024, 03:55

Beamer wrote on Jun 20, 2024, 07:46:
I loosely befriended Cliffe and ended up spending a lot of time in the CS chats before the CS release. I played it, and will take credit for the knife, even though I'm sure the idea was there before I let people know it was an obvious way to fix the issue of everyone running out of ammo.

This is an absolutely wild statement... but I believe you... and will tell your tale and share your glory.

Jun 21, 2024, 09:46
Slick

Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 21, 2024, 09:46
Jun 21, 2024, 09:46
 Slick

theglaze wrote on Jun 20, 2024, 17:29:
Slick wrote on Jun 20, 2024, 15:46:
There's always another way in, always a way to outthink your opponent. And it rewards creative thought more than raw aim.
Great points, and I understand your perspective. I'll try out the 5vs5 mode tonight with my buddies and see how it goes.

But I still think the invisible light class is silly and unnecessary! It's already difficult to remember the layout styles of the buildings, much less where all the furniture is, and then to distinguish the slight distortion of a dude cloaked? Getting whacked to death by a katana from an invisible babe in a brides dress who moves faster and has a double jump, makes me feel so newb lol

I suppose it's like the AWP in CS. It's a frustrating weapon to go up against until you learn its range and weaknesses.

I'm flattered that you see my point of view enough to give it a go. I don't think you understand, people don't "change their minds" on the internet

The counter for invis is the "thermal vision" toy for light btw. Also you just learn what to look for when it comes to shimmering outlines the more you play. Every weapon and gadget has a weakness.

In the same way choosing to only have a sniper rifle (there's no secondary weapons in this game) makes you extremely vulnerable to someone closing distance with an SMG... the same can be said for every gadget, nothing is un-counterable.

There's even an elemental system. Can't push a point cause of toxic gas? Use fire grenade on the gas and it will combust. Wanna put out that fire? Throw a smoke on it, it'll put the fire out. Even if you didn't remember to bring those grenades, there are barrels and canisters of all the elements littered around every map.

I could go on and on...

Jun 20, 2024, 18:30
Osc8r

Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 18:30
Jun 20, 2024, 18:30
 Osc8r

I enjoyed CS back in the beta days, but Quake was far superior IMO.

I don't really enjoy any of the modern FPS games anymore, the TTK is ridiculously low there's limit time to re-act or counter play. It's the same with The Finals.

Fortnite was the only recent one that I enjoyed, but they royally ruined it as well.

And yes, i'm old.
/rant

Jun 20, 2024, 17:29
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 17:29
Jun 20, 2024, 17:29

Slick wrote on Jun 20, 2024, 15:46:
There's always another way in, always a way to outthink your opponent. And it rewards creative thought more than raw aim.
Great points, and I understand your perspective. I'll try out the 5vs5 mode tonight with my buddies and see how it goes.

But I still think the invisible light class is silly and unnecessary! It's already difficult to remember the layout styles of the buildings, much less where all the furniture is, and then to distinguish the slight distortion of a dude cloaked? Getting whacked to death by a katana from an invisible babe in a brides dress who moves faster and has a double jump, makes me feel so newb lol

I suppose it's like the AWP in CS. It's a frustrating weapon to go up against until you learn its range and weaknesses.

Jun 20, 2024, 15:46
Slick

Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 15:46
Jun 20, 2024, 15:46
 Slick

theglaze wrote on Jun 20, 2024, 11:58:
As for the Finals... they're close to figuring out something new. But they have to get rid of invisibilty. And reduce level conplexity to make it more tactical and less chaotic. Which also means reducing the amount of level destruction. It plays too much like a giant demolition derby to most players. I suppose that's the appeal I guess.

No thanks.

There are plenty of options for "tactical" games out there, which to me means indestructible walls, plus limited, predictable and repeatable methods of ingress/egress.

The Finals does away with all that noise. There's always another way in, always a way to outthink your opponent. And it rewards creative thought more than raw aim.

It's the videogame version of the famous Mike Tyson line: "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

It's a game for people who like to improvise instead of meticulously plan pixel-throwing grenades over the same wall match after match. It's always been the signature of these devs, just now cranked up to 11 as EA held them back.

Jun 20, 2024, 15:11
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 15:11
Jun 20, 2024, 15:11

Miss the VIP mode, wish cs2 had it.
Currently setting a record for most edited posts, 1 reply at a time.

Jun 20, 2024, 12:14
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 12:14
Jun 20, 2024, 12:14

QWTF was the best. Such great times.

Jun 20, 2024, 12:05
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 12:05
Jun 20, 2024, 12:05

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jun 20, 2024, 11:20:
Yeah, I played this like 8 hours a day when it came out. Back then I was on dialup, and so like most high ping weenies, I had to learn techniques to deal with low ping bastards. It came down to NEVER getting close to your opponent. You were at a severe disadvantage if they got close to you because they could get behind you in the time between a frame refresh, and stab you in the back to add insult to injury. I got pretty good at holding my own against low pingers.

When I got access to a T1 line at work, it was a blessing. I'd stay at the office after hours to game for a long time, until I finally got DSL at home.

Yes, dial up was 1 issue, though here was another advantage. If your PC sucked, you could feel the frame rates dip as you're approaching someone. It gave you a heads up that someone was nearby, lol. This didn't always guarantee a kill because then you had the dial up issue to contend with and even though you knew someone might be around, they could still pop you before your connection caught up, lol.

The opposite end of that was running the game and having it look like a potato. Everyone was trying to run it as high graphics which was rough to do back then since unless you had an absolute elite graphic card, it wasn't going to run good while looking good. I would in the end turn my graphics down to potato level and get max FPS which gave me a nice advantage. It was like, you had to come up with solutions to hardware limitations back then. Something nowadays most people have no clue about since even a budget graphic card is pretty damn good.

Jun 20, 2024, 11:58
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 11:58
Jun 20, 2024, 11:58

Slick wrote on Jun 20, 2024, 09:17:
The greatest success story in FPS history is also the most tragic to me. It was the death knell of the arena FPS genre.

Counter-Strike introduced the concept of punishing the player for having the audacity to shoot and move at the same time.

Calling someone a camper used to be considered an insult, now it's "holding an angle", and is the most 1337 of maneuvers a gamer can dream of.

I'm actually pretty good at CS, but I've played for maybe 100 hours total over 25 years. It's just too depressing. To be it's a total bastardization of the promise of the competitive FPS genre.

On that note, back to "The Finals", the real love-letter to oldskool FPS heads. Season 3 is fantastic! (And coincidently, the new "ranked" mode is the 5v5, one-life, "counterstrike" mode, just with arena FPS movement, battlefield-style gadgets... OH! And it doesn't punish you for moving and shooting at the same time. Imagine that.)
You should see me wield Mac10, MP9, and shotguns and demolish the crouch+sprayers. And back in 1.6 and CS:Source days, any player who mastered the left/right straff while single-bullet-tapping was a god in a pub (even though it was a standard move in higher tiers of comp).

From what I've seen of CS2, yes, bulletpunch is devasting to player movement. So even crafty plays with pistols while moving can be easily thwarted once the opponent lands a direct hit.

As for the Finals... they're close to figuring out something new. But they have to get rid of invisibilty. And reduce level conplexity to make it more tactical and less chaotic. Which also means reducing the amount of level destruction. It plays too much like a giant demolition derby to most players. I suppose that's the appeal I guess.

Jun 20, 2024, 11:20
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 11:20
Jun 20, 2024, 11:20

Yeah, I played this like 8 hours a day when it came out. Back then I was on dialup, and so like most high ping weenies, I had to learn techniques to deal with low ping bastards. It came down to NEVER getting close to your opponent. You were at a severe disadvantage if they got close to you because they could get behind you in the time between a frame refresh, and stab you in the back to add insult to injury. I got pretty good at holding my own against low pingers.

When I got access to a T1 line at work, it was a blessing. I'd stay at the office after hours to game for a long time, until I finally got DSL at home.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Jun 20, 2024, 10:47
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 10:47
Jun 20, 2024, 10:47

Long Live Goose.

I remember watching my cousin play Counter Strike version 1.3. At that time I didn't have a PC. I believe I got my PC however when 1.4 dropped. I was hooked all day every day. I got buddies from middle school/high school hooked. We'd get into matches after school every day. It was a blast. 1.5 introduced the riot shield which ended up getting scrapped. The MP5 was probably the most utilized gun in the game for its all around usefulness back then. Skins were free and you could download them from tons of websites. Skins that would change the entire look of weapons. It was fun wielding a gatling gun to sub for the Negev or M249.

So many good memories. Happy to see it still alive and kicking to this day. Granted, skins are a big scam, but otherwise, the gameplay itself hasn't changed much in 25 years and rather has gotten more refined and precise.

Jun 20, 2024, 09:30
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 09:30
Jun 20, 2024, 09:30

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 19, 2024, 20:33:
Leahi84 wrote on Jun 19, 2024, 20:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 19, 2024, 20:07:
Old enough to have a beer.

the greatest video game ever made
See, it's already started drinking. Drunk
Back in the day, a lot of people would have agreed with that statement. I knew a lot of people back in the 2000s who played CS all day, every day.
I knew some that only played everquest and some that only played wow and some that only played tribes.
https://www.ign.com/articles/the-best-100-video-games-of-all-time
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Super Mario World
3. Portal 2
52. Counter-Strike 1.6

I was mainly an MMO player (FFXI) but also played Unreal Tornament - Capture the Flag - many good memories of a really nice community. Also a bit of Tribes 2 although I kept accidentally lobbing mortars into my own base, and I'm about as good at skiing in that game as I am in real life (ie just about good enough not to break a leg).

Didn't play CS much but the main maps are well designed and the community seemed nice - never had a bad experience although TF2 was a lot more fun. I guess it was one of the first tactical shooters, and that's not a bad thing.
Kittens!

Jun 20, 2024, 09:17
Slick

Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 09:17
Jun 20, 2024, 09:17
 Slick

The greatest success story in FPS history is also the most tragic to me. It was the death knell of the arena FPS genre.

Counter-Strike introduced the concept of punishing the player for having the audacity to shoot and move at the same time.

Calling someone a camper used to be considered an insult, now it's "holding an angle", and is the most 1337 of maneuvers a gamer can dream of.

I'm actually pretty good at CS, but I've played for maybe 100 hours total over 25 years. It's just too depressing. To be it's a total bastardization of the promise of the competitive FPS genre.

On that note, back to "The Finals", the real love-letter to oldskool FPS heads. Season 3 is fantastic! (And coincidently, the new "ranked" mode is the 5v5, one-life, "counterstrike" mode, just with arena FPS movement, battlefield-style gadgets... OH! And it doesn't punish you for moving and shooting at the same time. Imagine that.)

Jun 20, 2024, 09:16
Slick

Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 09:16
Jun 20, 2024, 09:16
 Slick

CS has done more damage to our scene than anything else. I wish it finally died out...

Jun 20, 2024, 08:45
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 08:45
Jun 20, 2024, 08:45

Damn, a lot has changed in 25 years. I played CS heavily during the LAN parties I would host at Intel and I also remember downloading the original release off of Fileplanet. Hard to believe that was so long ago.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jun 20, 2024, 08:13
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 08:13
Jun 20, 2024, 08:13

Leahi84 wrote on Jun 19, 2024, 20:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 19, 2024, 20:07:
Old enough to have a beer.

the greatest video game ever made
See, it's already started drinking. Drunk
Back in the day, a lot of people would have agreed with that statement. I knew a lot of people back in the 2000s who played CS all day, every day.

I love the "I only consume the one thing because it's the best of the entire category and haven't looked at other stuff in a long, long time" crowd. They disprove the validity of their claim by making it.
If you don't play games other than the one... you don't know.
You may enjoy it, and that's great, but you have no room to compare.

Jun 20, 2024, 07:46
Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 07:46
Jun 20, 2024, 07:46

PHJF wrote on Jun 20, 2024, 06:31:
Think I got everyone beat as I played the first public CS release. I was getting really into mods and that early in HLs life there weren't many, the best was probably War in Europe. I don't think even TFC was out yet. The first map was this terrible desert map, basically just a plain with some rocks in the middle.

I'm with you. As a huge AQ2 fan, and while waiting for AHL I loosely befriended Cliffe and ended up spending a lot of time in the CS chats before the CS release. I played it, and will take credit for the knife, even though I'm sure the idea was there before I let people know it was an obvious way to fix the issue of everyone running out of ammo.

Funny thing is, I thought AHL would ultimately be the winner. Then it came out and just felt dated. We're all wrong sometimes.

Jun 20, 2024, 06:31
PHJF

Re: Counter-Strike Turns 25 Jun 20, 2024, 06:31
Jun 20, 2024, 06:31
 PHJF

Think I got everyone beat as I played the first public CS release. I was getting really into mods and that early in HLs life there weren't many, the best was probably War in Europe. I don't think even TFC was out yet. The first map was this terrible desert map, basically just a plain with some rocks in the middle.
Steam + PSN: PHJF
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older