Out of the Blue

After thinking we wouldn't, we did end up dropping by a local Italian restaurant yesterday for another celebration of MrsBlue's birthday. We timed this well enough between lunch and dinner that we were not overrun by Father's Day celebrants. All Early Bird Special jokes aside, this worked out really well and we had a fine old time.

Obituary: Hiram Kasten, comedian and 'Seinfeld' regular, dies at 71.

Fine Old Round-up
Thanks Ant, Neutronbeam, and Max.

Stories

Science

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Tripling up
Jun 18, 2024, 08:00
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 18, 2024, 08:00
Jun 18, 2024, 08:00

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2024, 00:33:
Sure Tact, let me know when you're ever right about anything even once.

JFC it's not easy being right most of the time. When will you people ever learn?
Pure troll. Not sure why you continue to hang out here Cutter where there are so many of us idiots who don't know anything and can't learn anything. Hoping to get sainted?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jun 18, 2024, 06:41
Prez

Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 18, 2024, 06:41
Jun 18, 2024, 06:41
 Prez

Lots of piss and vinegar in here. Where's my popcorn?

EDIT: I found some Cheetos instead. Good enough.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 18, 2024, 06:37
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 18, 2024, 06:37
Jun 18, 2024, 06:37

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 18, 2024, 06:25:
Beamer wrote on Jun 17, 2024, 17:03:
Ah. The Rupert Murdoch/Rush Limbaugh approach.
Really? I thought that it was them digging their own grave for the last 25 years. Who knew that their own actions could come back to bite them in the ass.

Guess that would be the "Progressive/Left Wing" approach to modern journalism, when you screw up attack the audience. When you review a game and it fails, attack the audience. When you do investigative journalism in video games, lie, mistranslate, and when caught lie some more. When the paper you work for is failing because nobody is reading it, and someone comes to fix the issue? Attack the new boss and launch investigative pieces, while ignoring your own decades of failure.

And last but not least, maintain no accountability.

Hmm. That sounds a lot like modern translations for video games too. Localize it(aka change it), when you break the translation lie and claim that it's what people really wanted. When called to account on it, lie. Then act surprised and shocked when you're fired for destroying original creative works and fundamentally changing the content of entire stories. What a play!

Wow. You feel really under attack. I'm sure being so marginalized by society isn't easy

Jun 18, 2024, 06:25
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 18, 2024, 06:25
Jun 18, 2024, 06:25

Really? I thought that it was them digging their own grave for the last 25 years. Who knew that their own actions could come back to bite them in the ass.

Guess that would be the "Progressive/Left Wing" approach to modern journalism, when you screw up attack the audience. When you review a game and it fails, attack the audience. When you do investigative journalism in video games, lie, mistranslate, and when caught lie some more. When the paper you work for is failing because nobody is reading it, and someone comes to fix the issue? Attack the new boss and launch investigative pieces, while ignoring your own decades of failure.

And last but not least, maintain no accountability.

Hmm. That sounds a lot like modern translations for video games too. Localize it(aka change it), when you break the translation lie and claim that it's what people really wanted. When called to account on it, lie. Then act surprised and shocked when you're fired for destroying original creative works and fundamentally changing the content of entire stories. What a play!
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Jun 18, 2024, 02:57
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 18, 2024, 02:57
Jun 18, 2024, 02:57

We grew up on a smallholding, nothing like the size of US farms. We had a few hundred hill sheep. The thing is, we have lots of water here, I mean LOTS of fresh water, im sure people have said there is enough water to give to the world in our country alone. So farming, even water intensive livestock, is no problem whatsoever. What we have a problem with is land to do so as we are mainly hills and fjords, friends have said we are very similar to Montana.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Jun 18, 2024, 01:36
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 18, 2024, 01:36
Jun 18, 2024, 01:36

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 18, 2024, 01:27:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 17, 2024, 21:08:
Really? You are going to waste your time correcting Cutter. Better clear your calendar.
BoP will just have to relearn the old adage.
When you wrestle with a pig you both get muddy, but only the pig likes it.

But...I don't mind being muddy. Hell, sometimes getting muddy is a total blast.

A more apt phrase is "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jun 18, 2024, 01:34
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 18, 2024, 01:34
Jun 18, 2024, 01:34

Cutter wrote on Jun 18, 2024, 00:33:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 17, 2024, 22:15:
Really? You are going to waste your time correcting Cutter. Better clear your calendar.

No, but I am going to spend the time to fight disinformation so someone else doesn't read it and think it is true.

Sure Tact, let me know when you're ever right about anything even once. And you're wrong on all of that BoP. The data is all out there and easy to find if you're so inclined. Those were just ballpark figures. I presumed most people would be smart enough to understand that - silly me. And the history of us being a primarily vegetarian species is absolute. That we were primarily hunters instead of gatherers - per-agrarian - is laughable at best. As an agrarian, omnivorous species we're still mostly vegetarian. Those who aren't get cancer and are culled very quickly from the gene pool. I'm rather amazed you didn't know that.

Edit: What’s the beef with water?

JFC it's not easy being right most of the time. When will you people ever learn?

Yep, totally wrong. Didn't spend the first two decades of my life raising cattle and dealing with the business of it. I'm sure your vast decades of experience in raising cattle dwarfs my own. Rolleyes

Oh, what's that, you're relying on bullshit statistics from the internet? <Gasp> Someone would do that? Just go ahead and spew bullshit on the internet to push an agenda? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

But here's the deal. Your link makes a statement, without any data of its own, and references a third party, FoodPrint. Now, naturally, FoodPrint doesn't have their own study. Because of course they don't. Science is hard, yo! What they do, however, is shotgun a bunch of different links while cherry picking the data they want. One of the studies they do mention doesn't even mention cattle but is instead entirely focused on foodcrop production. Good vetting there! Also, the study from Cornell? Yeah, Cornell's own site says the study doesn't exist. Let's look at another link provided by FoodPrint, this time from the USDA. Whoops! No mention of water usage in cattle raising there! Hmmm....they seem to spam links to this site called waterprint.org. Let's go check them out.

Oh, wait, hold up. Waterfootprint.org isn't a scientific entity. It's a business entity and they're pushing a product, "waterprint." Some rando came up with this "measurement" and is selling the consulting services of his organization to businesses. If you can't trust a guy giving you a sales pitch, whom can you trust? Am I right?

Do you have any direct links to scientific studies by reputable sources to backup your claims or are we going to continue to rely on third parties who don't link to actual datasets? Because I can put up a website by tomorrow that says raising cattle cures cancer, makes sure the toilet paper roll is automatically put on correctly, and will singlehandedly cause the great singularity where mankind merges with its technological godhead. I'll even include spinning gifs for the old time nostalgia feel.

Now, let's get on to the development of humanity. See, I have a deep interest in the neolithic and earlier eras of human development. In my opinion, that's probably when we were at our best. So right here we have evidence that early hominins were scarfing down meat starting about 2.6 million years ago and, man, did they eat meat as much as they could. Starting off by scavenging what they could from carrion and then moving on to hunting and processing their kills. Since reading isn't everyone's forte, there are pictures.

Next, we have an anthropologist right here confirming that same information. It's short but I'll highlight the important part "We know that our ancestors, early Homo, were regularly eating meat sometime before two million years ago."

Finally, here's a direct link to a study that unequivocally proves that not only were we regular meat eaters, we owe our brain size to that very same meat eating.

It's probably not a wise idea to question the intelligence of others when you're showing your ass.

You're pretty much never right but at whatever future date you finally manage to be right about something for the first time, we'll all clap for you. Maybe even give you a gold star.

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Jun 18, 2024, 01:27
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 18, 2024, 01:27
Jun 18, 2024, 01:27

BoP will just have to relearn the old adage.
When you wrestle with a pig you both get muddy, but only the pig likes it.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 18, 2024, 00:33
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 18, 2024, 00:33
Jun 18, 2024, 00:33

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 17, 2024, 22:15:

No, but I am going to spend the time to fight disinformation so someone else doesn't read it and think it is true.

Sure Tact, let me know when you're ever right about anything even once. And you're wrong on all of that BoP. The data is all out there and easy to find if you're so inclined. Those were just ballpark figures. I presumed most people would be smart enough to understand that - silly me. And the history of us being a primarily vegetarian species is absolute. That we were primarily hunters instead of gatherers - per-agrarian - is laughable at best. As an agrarian, omnivorous species we're still mostly vegetarian. Those who aren't get cancer and are culled very quickly from the gene pool. I'm rather amazed you didn't know that.

Edit: What’s the beef with water?

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 17, 2024, 22:15
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 22:15
Jun 17, 2024, 22:15

Jun 17, 2024, 21:08
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 21:08
Jun 17, 2024, 21:08

Jun 17, 2024, 20:45
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 20:45
Jun 17, 2024, 20:45

Cutter wrote on Jun 17, 2024, 19:59:
1 pound of vegetables takes about 10 gallons of water to produce. 1 pound of beef? 2000 gallons of water. It's not fucking rocket science. It's also why as a species we've mainly been vegetarian for most of our existence and most people in the developing world still are.

lolwut? Not even close. This is the derpiest of derps.

A pound of vegetables takes significantly more than 10 gallons of water unless you specifically limit the definition of "vegetables" to exclude anything not maintaining a high moisture content. For example, corn grown in a 10'x10' plot requires 60 gallons per week until fully mature and ready to be harvested. Depending on the variety, tomatoes can require up to 90 gallons per bush plot as another example. Let's not even address beans, cabbage, broccoli, or lettuce which are also incredibly water intensive throughout their growth cycle. During the spring growth season, I will expend all 450 gallons of stored rain water I have to water my gardens before I touch the tap and then I'll rely on the early summer rains to refill them.

Your beef estimate is wildly overstated as well and you likely pulled it from some rando post you found on Facebook. A pound of beef can require a vast range of water and the "2000" number is from a really badly done study that included precipitate and natural water sources without specifically segregating that data out so they could make their rather wild claim. See, I grew up on a functioning cattle ranch. As in we had several hundred head of cattle. There is not a chance in Hell we could have ever turned a profit if each pound of beef sold required 2000 gallons. Let's do simple math here, so you can follow along. See, the beef you eat is 99.999% coming from bulls. We raised Beefmasters. Average weight of a bull is 2600 pounds. Let's be reallllllly generous and deduct 400 pounds for the skeleton and hide. So our average weight is now 2200 pounds. So that's 2200 x 2000 which is 4.4 MILLION gallons of water per bull. Now let's say I had about 10 bulls. That would mean I would require 44 MILLION gallons of water per season and there are two seasons per yer for a grand total of 88 MILLION gallons of water per year. There's not a chance in Hell that even our commercial jet well could have kept up with 1/100th of that water demand. Now our bulls were free-ish range and most of their water content came from grass. We did have water troughs around the ranch but nowhere near 44 million gallons worth of them! I'd need 67 Olympic sized swimming pools to hold that much water.

You're also dead wrong about mankind being "mainly vegetarian" for much of our existence. This is modern day nonsense invented and pushed by the scientifically illiterate. We can specifically trace our growth and development as Homo Sapiens to the fact that we are meat eaters. It was the extra red protein that we ingested and metabolized that allowed for the growth and expansion of the human brain. It also allowed for us to grow taller, stronger, and broader. We humans are omnivorous and are naturally inclined, when cultural preferences are removed, to eat both meat and plant matter as circumstances permit. We also have a genetic predisposition to crave red meat because it is rich in iron, Vitamin B, and dense red proteins that our bodies use to build and heal itself. This is millions of years evolution at work telling us what to do to keep ourselves healthy and strong. Grokthog didn't drag his ass out of the cave so he could gnosh on celery stalks or harvest them to keep Grokthog Jr alive.

Jun 17, 2024, 19:59
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 19:59
Jun 17, 2024, 19:59

Years of over-extraction to serve farmers and booming populations, along with climate change-fueled heat and drought, have taken a toll.

NFS. Quit farming in the fucking deserts. There's no shortage of good farmland in the US and Mexico that aren't in deserts. Stop subsidizing meat production and let society pay the true cost. 1 pound of vegetables takes about 10 gallons of water to produce. 1 pound of beef? 2000 gallons of water. It's not fucking rocket science. It's also why as a species we've mainly been vegetarian for most of our existence and most people in the developing world still are.

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 17, 2024, 17:52
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 17:52
Jun 17, 2024, 17:52

Frang wrote on Jun 17, 2024, 17:22:
It isn't the reporters, it's their handlers. US main stream news media is nothing but propaganda and programming. All of it is ultimately owned by only 5 corporations, yet there are those who would tell you I'm a conspiracy theorist and there is absolutely nothing to see here, nope, they aren't being given a tailored message to give to the public.

Conspiracy for three reasons:

1) because the majority aren't doing "propaganda." Even if they're doing huge spin, propaganda requires some input from the government. They're not doing that. Most are simply chasing dollars.

2) because this is often used to write off all reporting, when there is still good news out there

3) because this is largely a right wing conspiracy, but utterly ignored that Sinclair is the biggest offender of exactly this, and it's far right, and ignores Fox, which is right, and AM radio, which is far right.

Jun 17, 2024, 17:36
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 17:36
Jun 17, 2024, 17:36

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 17, 2024, 15:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 17, 2024, 12:21:
Every 80 Years
Do the Nova’s know about this schedule?
The fall of mankind will be directly traced to the rise of social media and people turning to twitter/TikTok for their news. imho
ignored
Yessir. Call everyone and everything Fake News.
Somewhere there's a meme for that.
Described and annotated by John Stewart [timestamped] https://youtu.be/uIkAbY5EX7g?si=BmKuKW6gSFc5m73h&t=1510
Jon Stewart, Desi Lydic, Michael Kosta, Ronny Chieng, and Jordan Klepper talk about their unique shared experience hosting The Daily Show in this Emmys FYC (For Your Consideration) panel moderated by entertainment journalist Matt Belloni.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 17, 2024, 17:22
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 17:22
Jun 17, 2024, 17:22

It isn't the reporters, it's their handlers. US main stream news media is nothing but propaganda and programming. All of it is ultimately owned by only 5 corporations, yet there are those who would tell you I'm a conspiracy theorist and there is absolutely nothing to see here, nope, they aren't being given a tailored message to give to the public.

Jun 17, 2024, 17:03
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 17:03
Jun 17, 2024, 17:03

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 17, 2024, 15:46:
Every 80 Years
The fall of mankind will be directly traced to the rise of social media and people turning to twitter/TikTok for their news. imho
Or maybe it could have something to do with reporters and news agencies deciding they want to change the world and shape public opinion instead of being reporters and letting people make choices on their own, while driving mass clickbait. Which has driven them to other avenues for the news.

Jun 17, 2024, 15:46
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 15:46
Jun 17, 2024, 15:46

Every 80 Years
Or maybe it could have something to do with reporters and news agencies deciding they want to change the world and shape public opinion instead of being reporters and letting people make choices on their own, while driving mass clickbait. Which has driven them to other avenues for the news.

News media failing is a creation of their own failures. They were the ones leading the charge that the Internet was a fad after all, and still hold the belief in their own infallibility.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Jun 17, 2024, 14:02
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 14:02
Jun 17, 2024, 14:02

Every 80 Years
Don't know if the Nova knows, but we do.

It has been recorded multiple times through history. It is a white dwarf which is siphoning material off a red giant. Once the mass reaches a certain level this "nova event" happens. Kinda cool. Or is it super hot?

Jun 17, 2024, 13:54
Re: OotB: Tripling up Jun 17, 2024, 13:54
Jun 17, 2024, 13:54

I hate the media so very much.

"Hiram Kasten, comedian and 'Seinfeld' regular"

He appeared in 3 episodes of a show that ran for 9 seasons and 180 episodes... "regular" Speechless
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older