Out of the Blue

I thought I had a nature tragedy outside my office this morning when I saw a robin lying on the grass just outside. Its wings were splayed out awkwardly and I was sure it was likely dead, or injured at best. I went out to see if it could be helped, and when it heard me it immediately startled awake. It hopped to its feet, gave me a glance, and flew off. I've never seen a bird "napping" on the ground, and it's hard to imagine this is what was actually happening. I think it's more likely it ran into a window or had some other mishap that left it stunned. Either way, I'm happy it was okay, and glad if I helped it awaken, because laying around like that seems like an easy way to become a snack.

Obituary: Howard Fineman, veteran political journalist and former MSNBC analyst, dies at 75. Thanks Devicer.

Snacky Round-up
Thanks Ant, Neutronbeam, and Max.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Media

Creature Features

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Tragedy averted
Jun 14, 2024, 10:37
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 14, 2024, 10:37
Jun 14, 2024, 10:37

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jun 14, 2024, 10:16:
Paywall bypass for that Titan Submersible article on Wired. Interesting read:
Link
Not that interesting, only made it about half way through. But mostly because I've read enough about it there really weren't many surprises to me. Basically Rush got what he deserved. Unfortunately, he took others with him,
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jun 14, 2024, 10:30
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 14, 2024, 10:30
Jun 14, 2024, 10:30

The Flying Penguin wrote on Jun 14, 2024, 10:16:
Link
Turns out Stockton Rush was a deadly snake oil salesman of the lowest kind who could have known /s
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 14, 2024, 10:16
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 14, 2024, 10:16
Jun 14, 2024, 10:16

Link
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Jun 14, 2024, 09:48
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 14, 2024, 09:48
Jun 14, 2024, 09:48

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 14, 2024, 03:54:
1badmf wrote on Jun 13, 2024, 22:35:
Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2024, 14:47:
A few weeks ago, I spent two weeks in Peru. One of those weeks was deep in the Amazon, basically with soaking wet shoes, covered in spiders and mosquitos, hours away from the nearest hot shower (or internet!), hunting caiman by moonlight.

If anyone is interested, I took a ton of photos. Here are a few, including some anaconda, gargantuan and pink footed tarantula, frogs, dolphin (which are surprisingly everywhere), sloths, monkeys, and more: https://imgur.com/a/ectSFYU

what was the purpose of your trip? surely there aren't just tourist jaunts deep into dinosaur territory. also you're a talented photographer.

I assume he did what he wrote he did. Hunt caiman by moonlight. Though it would be out of character for flaming liberal like Beamer to engage in the "holy" republican act of hunting animals for sport.

Ha! I mean, by "hunt," I just mean "find." Although our guide did pull two out of the water so we could see them.

1badmf, nope, totally just tourism. We stayed here: https://treehouselodge.com/ then here: https://www.rainforestcruises.com/cruises/delfin-i-amazon. For the second one, we had 6 passengers and 15 crew. Kind of crazy.

Also, the photos are only good because they're like 15 out of 500 taken, haha. Digital cameras make capturing something well so much easier. But I appreciate the compliment, haha.

Jun 14, 2024, 03:54
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 14, 2024, 03:54
Jun 14, 2024, 03:54

1badmf wrote on Jun 13, 2024, 22:35:
A few weeks ago, I spent two weeks in Peru. One of those weeks was deep in the Amazon, basically with soaking wet shoes, covered in spiders and mosquitos, hours away from the nearest hot shower (or internet!), hunting caiman by moonlight.

If anyone is interested, I took a ton of photos. Here are a few, including some anaconda, gargantuan and pink footed tarantula, frogs, dolphin (which are surprisingly everywhere), sloths, monkeys, and more: https://imgur.com/a/ectSFYU

what was the purpose of your trip? surely there aren't just tourist jaunts deep into dinosaur territory. also you're a talented photographer.

I assume he did what he wrote he did. Hunt caiman by moonlight. Though it would be out of character for flaming liberal like Beamer to engage in the "holy" republican act of hunting animals for sport.

Jun 13, 2024, 22:35
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 22:35
Jun 13, 2024, 22:35

Jun 13, 2024, 19:56
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 19:56
Jun 13, 2024, 19:56

edit: double-post

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2024, 20:29.

Jun 13, 2024, 19:54
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 19:54
Jun 13, 2024, 19:54

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 13, 2024, 13:28:
I hate it when a bird hits the window. A pigeon hit one so hard where I was house sitting that it died, and scared the sh1t out of me.
I figure it was trying to avoid a bird of prey as it is rare for that window on the entryway porch to be struck.

Unfortunately, bird rehabbers believe that a majority of birds that strike windows ultimately die - even those that seem to recover and fly away - due to head trauma and bleeding.

FWIW - a very inexpensive and easy way to discourage bird strikes on windows that they are more prone to fly into is to simply cut printer/copy paper into vertical strips of about an inch width and tape the top of each strip on the glass with about 4-6 inches between each strip. The fluttering paper makes birds more aware that there is something there - even with reflections of greenery that they think is safe to fly toward - and the closeness of the strips makes them unlikely to try to fly between them.

Feather Friendly has what is probably the most effective bird-window-strike deterrent. The white squares are still very visible to birds and not very distracting toward folks looking out the windows.

https://featherfriendly.com/collections/small-scale-diy

Jun 13, 2024, 19:47
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 19:47
Jun 13, 2024, 19:47

jdreyer wrote on Jun 13, 2024, 18:13:
95% Success Rate: Scientists Develop New, More Effective, and Non-Toxic Way To Kill Termites. Non-toxic. Except for the insecticide.

Termites are currently swarming here. I had an infestation of drywood termites when I bought the place, and had it treated by a guy using non-toxic (for people) orange oil injection. I still have a nest or two somewhere in the house still though, and last week I had hundreds of flyers inside. I set up light traps (glow sticks in pans of water with dishsoap) and used the vacuum to get the rest that had dropped their wings and were walking around on the floor. The house itself is built of treated wood, and I'm not seeing any termite poop anywhere, so I'm still trying to figure out where the nest is. It has to be in one of the walls, but that raises the question of what they're eating since the studs are all treated wood. Luckily, drywood termites are pretty slow eaters, so damage should be minimal. But I will likely have to have the house tented, which will be expensive.

Drywood termites will eat the cellulose paper backing on drywall and even tunnel through the drywall itself - both of which weaken the drywall.

Jun 13, 2024, 18:15
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 18:15
Jun 13, 2024, 18:15

Colorado Man Died From Venomous Gila Monster Bite, Autopsy Confirms.

Huh, knew they were poisonous, didn't know the bite could be fatal.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jun 13, 2024, 18:13
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 18:13
Jun 13, 2024, 18:13

95% Success Rate: Scientists Develop New, More Effective, and Non-Toxic Way To Kill Termites. Non-toxic. Except for the insecticide.

Termites are currently swarming here. I had an infestation of drywood termites when I bought the place, and had it treated by a guy using non-toxic (for people) orange oil injection. I still have a nest or two somewhere in the house still though, and last week I had hundreds of flyers inside. I set up light traps (glow sticks in pans of water with dishsoap) and used the vacuum to get the rest that had dropped their wings and were walking around on the floor. The house itself is built of treated wood, and I'm not seeing any termite poop anywhere, so I'm still trying to figure out where the nest is. It has to be in one of the walls, but that raises the question of what they're eating since the studs are all treated wood. Luckily, drywood termites are pretty slow eaters, so damage should be minimal. But I will likely have to have the house tented, which will be expensive.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jun 13, 2024, 18:05
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 18:05
Jun 13, 2024, 18:05

Those orange frogs look like good eating.

Looks like an awesome trip.

Jun 13, 2024, 17:23
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 17:23
Jun 13, 2024, 17:23

That kid's idea seems really overengineered - and I'm sure he'll make a great one one day - when you could simply leave a flotation device in the pool or stay out of the deep end, or not have a deep end.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 13, 2024, 15:49
Prez

Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 15:49
Jun 13, 2024, 15:49
 Prez

Yeah I am jealous! I always wanted to do something like that but I was always too much of a coward and too much of a procrastinator. You're a true man of adventure now! I bet you had a blast.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 13, 2024, 15:46
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 15:46
Jun 13, 2024, 15:46

Great photos! I see at least three and maybe four monkey species in those - Howlers, Capuchins, Squirrel monkey and Tamarind?
Kittens!

Jun 13, 2024, 15:24
Prez

Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 15:24
Jun 13, 2024, 15:24
 Prez

‘The Blair Witch Project’ Actors Call Out ‘Reprehensible Behavior’ After Missing Out on Profits for Decades

Regardless of what they did or didn't receive for the film, surely they will be compensated for the continued use of their likenesses? That's always been a pretty stringent rule in Hollywood I thought.

But I feel bad for them. All I can say is that you should never rely on any business to do what is right. They didn't pay you royalties because they don't have to. Money makes everyone's greed come out. No matter how small the role is or how niche the movie might be, get a contract, in writing, so your rights are protected. Get royalties guaranteed. That doesn't do them any good since they were just kids back when the movie released, but hopefully it is a lesson for anyone else. Their only chance now is public pressure forcing the company to do right by them. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 13, 2024, 15:02
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 15:02
Jun 13, 2024, 15:02

Great photos Beamer, every one of those could be a postcard or in a travel brochure.
Sounds like a great vacation.

A few weeks ago, I spent two weeks
I'd noticed you'd went dark.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 13, 2024, 14:50
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 14:50
Jun 13, 2024, 14:50

A few weeks ago, I spent two weeks in Peru. One of those weeks was deep in the Amazon,
Congrats on making it back home alive!
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jun 13, 2024, 14:47
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 14:47
Jun 13, 2024, 14:47

Jun 13, 2024, 13:28
Re: OotB: Tragedy averted Jun 13, 2024, 13:28
Jun 13, 2024, 13:28

Hot, Bothered, and Parasite-free: Why Birds Sun Themselves https://www.audubon.org/news/hot-bothered-and-parasite-free-why-birds-sun-themselves
https://www.birdspot.co.uk/bird-brain/why-do-birds-sunbathe
https://thebirdidentifier.com/why-do-birds-lay-down-and-spread-their-wings/

I hate it when a bird hits the window. A pigeon hit one so hard where I was house sitting that it died, and scared the sh1t out of me.
I figure it was trying to avoid a bird of prey as it is rare for that window on the entryway porch to be struck.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older