MechWarrior 5: Clans in October

The Official Reveal Trailer for MechWarrior 5: Clans mentioned yesterday turns out to be officially named the Release Date Reveal Trailer, as it concludes revealing the "invasion begins October 3rd" for the new standalone installment in the series. Here's more on the clip and the plan:
Stewards to the MechWarrior franchise’s modern era Piranha Games have announced that MechWarrior 5: Clans‘ standalone, story driven campaign of tactical action will release Oct. 3 across PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. A completely new, standalone entry to the storied franchise designed as a linear campaign with pick-up-and-play combat, MechWarrior 5: Clans’ launch date has been revealed in a release date trailer: https://youtu.be/cuORqjXoRhE

The footage sets the stage for a coming invasion while joining the five-person group (a “Star”) of mech pilots central to MechWarrior 5: Clans’ narrative, intended to deliver the most human storyline ever seen in a MechWarrior video game. Composed of recent graduates from the Smoke Jaguar cadet program, this Star faces incredible stakes in a pivotal moment within the MechWarrior universe as they mobilize to aid their clan through a full-scale invasion of a region of space known as the Inner Sphere.
View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October
Jun 13, 2024, 13:36
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 13, 2024, 13:36
Jun 13, 2024, 13:36

bjack wrote on Jun 13, 2024, 10:32:
Everyone sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAJbbxlaZC8
Indeed. If humanity was ever to colonize the stars I think Battletech Universe is the more likely outcome rather than Star Trek universe. Call me pessimistic.

Jun 13, 2024, 10:32
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 13, 2024, 10:32
Jun 13, 2024, 10:32

Jun 13, 2024, 05:58
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 13, 2024, 05:58
Jun 13, 2024, 05:58

Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2024, 14:45:
Overon wrote on Jun 12, 2024, 14:32:
Clan Smoke Jaguar are fascist baddies and fighting House Kurita's Draconis Combine is like 2 fascist baddies fighting each other.

I'm a Battletech lore newb but aren't all of the factions sheltering many skeletons in their closets? Maybe not as bad as in Warhammer where every race is just evil in their own way, but I feel like all factions are kind of dicks.
Yes but some are bigger dicks than others :p

Jun 12, 2024, 18:56
Prez

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 18:56
Jun 12, 2024, 18:56
 Prez

Yeah indeed I meant Warhammer 40K. Woops.

As far as MW5 goes, as it happens I am using mods that improve the AI, have better Mech customization, provide better mission structure, and improve enemy spawns. I am experimenting with ones that tweak the visuals so I can find which one I like the best. The hardest part is making sure all of the mods play nice with each other but the mod manager is very good at pointing out conflicts. I'm actually liking it quite a bit.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 12, 2024, 18:15
Osc8r

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 18:15
Jun 12, 2024, 18:15
 Osc8r

RogueSix wrote on Jun 12, 2024, 10:24:
bjack wrote on Jun 12, 2024, 07:58:
RogueSix wrote on Jun 12, 2024, 04:27:
As someone (moi) who is only interested in the single player, I'm sure this is gonna be complete garbage due to the multiplayer focus. But I haven't even fully played through the original game yet (just dabbled), let alone the DLCs so don't really care about this entry anyway. We'll see what the user reviews are going to say about the single player viability of 'Clans'. Then I might grab a complete edition a few years down the line.

Multiplayer is just single player w/coop, unless they announced PvP somewhere and I missed that.

That's just the problem though. As soon as coop enters the equation, you have to make sure that all players can skip dialogues and cutscenes as soon as possible and the levels need to be designed in a way that you have choke points where the party can gather before venturing forth.

Coop/multiplayer focus has very direct consequences on the quality (or lack thereof) of the story and characters (they will be an afterthought) as well as the world/level design. I mean, they have not named this 'Clans' for nuttin'. It's supposed to attract the multiplayer crowd who don't give a crap about story, characters, lore or anything of the sort but only the gangbang action.

No really, the previous Mechwarrior games had co-op didn't they? And some of the best and most story driven games in existence have co-op, including BG3.

Just like the people saying that Shadow Warrior 2 was terrible because they wasted all their resources on multiplayer/co-op... so in Shadow Warrior 3 they focused on the story / single player experience, and how'd that turn out?

A crap game is crap game, and multiplayer generally has nothing to do with it, regardless of what the loners would have you believe.

As for this game, i have little hopes. MW5 was a average at best, the AI was atrocious, the mech customisation was terrible, the missions were poorly done, and most of your time was spent killing the endless spawns of choppers and tanks.

Jun 12, 2024, 17:50
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 17:50
Jun 12, 2024, 17:50

Clan Smoke Jaguar are fascist baddies and fighting House Kurita's Draconis Combine is like 2 fascist baddies fighting each other.

Comstar is the real enemy.

Jun 12, 2024, 15:34
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 15:34
Jun 12, 2024, 15:34

Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2024, 14:45:

I'm a Battletech lore newb but aren't all of the factions sheltering many skeletons in their closets? Maybe not as bad as in Warhammer where every race is just evil in their own way, but I feel like all factions are kind of dicks.
I don't think any of the BattleTech factions are Tolkien-level good guys, but in the first BattleTech sourcebook I ever picked up (Technical Readout 3025) House Kurita was the one committing all the war crimes against civilians in the little glimpses of background. I assume they've tried to flesh that out since then to make them more nuanced, but I remember in some of the books I read back in the '80s that they were basically '80s comic book Japan -- Kuritans said "honor" a lot.

And you're talking about Warhammer 40K. Warhammer without the 40K usually refers to Warhammer Fantasy where the "order" races aren't as far gone as in 40K. They're not perfect, either, but by and large I think their histories come across better than most real world nations.

Jun 12, 2024, 14:45
Prez

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 14:45
Jun 12, 2024, 14:45
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 12, 2024, 14:33
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 14:33
Jun 12, 2024, 14:33

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 12, 2024, 03:14:
MW5 is easily the worst entry in the franchise. Since Piranha is doing this game as well; I don't really have high hopes for this either. The earlier games had really inspired mission and map design, great voice acting, and amazing atmosphere and immersion. This was all severly lacking with MW5: Mercs. I don't know if they fixed some of that with the later expansions, I gave them my money on day one and was extremely disappointed that they made a game that was in every way worse than the game it is a direct sequel to: MW2: Mercs.

I really hope I'm wrong, and this game turns out great. I'm a huge Battletech fan, and love all things Battletech inspired.
I too pray for the day that the Mechwarrior license goes to a better developer than Piranha Games. They are just not good at anything narrative.

Jun 12, 2024, 14:32
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 14:32
Jun 12, 2024, 14:32

Jun 12, 2024, 12:01
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 12:01
Jun 12, 2024, 12:01

The old MechWarriors had co-op, not sure why that's an issue. The main issue for me is that this franchise, while it is appreciated that 'someone' is trying, its really stagnated especially when you just allow one company to play around with the franchise. I feel like it could be so much more than it is as a Mech "Sim".

Jun 12, 2024, 10:24
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 10:24
Jun 12, 2024, 10:24

bjack wrote on Jun 12, 2024, 07:58:
As someone (moi) who is only interested in the single player, I'm sure this is gonna be complete garbage due to the multiplayer focus. But I haven't even fully played through the original game yet (just dabbled), let alone the DLCs so don't really care about this entry anyway. We'll see what the user reviews are going to say about the single player viability of 'Clans'. Then I might grab a complete edition a few years down the line.

Multiplayer is just single player w/coop, unless they announced PvP somewhere and I missed that.

That's just the problem though. As soon as coop enters the equation, you have to make sure that all players can skip dialogues and cutscenes as soon as possible and the levels need to be designed in a way that you have choke points where the party can gather before venturing forth.

Coop/multiplayer focus has very direct consequences on the quality (or lack thereof) of the story and characters (they will be an afterthought) as well as the world/level design. I mean, they have not named this 'Clans' for nuttin'. It's supposed to attract the multiplayer crowd who don't give a crap about story, characters, lore or anything of the sort but only the gangbang action.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Jun 12, 2024, 08:40
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 08:40
Jun 12, 2024, 08:40

That's some pretty rough acting. I see Piranha is splurging for top talent. I hope that's just advertising and not actually in the game.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jun 12, 2024, 07:58
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 07:58
Jun 12, 2024, 07:58

Jun 12, 2024, 04:27
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 04:27
Jun 12, 2024, 04:27

-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Jun 12, 2024, 03:14
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 12, 2024, 03:14
Jun 12, 2024, 03:14

MW5 is easily the worst entry in the franchise. Since Piranha is doing this game as well; I don't really have high hopes for this either. The earlier games had really inspired mission and map design, great voice acting, and amazing atmosphere and immersion. This was all severly lacking with MW5: Mercs. I don't know if they fixed some of that with the later expansions, I gave them my money on day one and was extremely disappointed that they made a game that was in every way worse than the game it is a direct sequel to: MW2: Mercs.

I really hope I'm wrong, and this game turns out great. I'm a huge Battletech fan, and love all things Battletech inspired.

Jun 11, 2024, 21:45
Prez

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans in October Jun 11, 2024, 21:45
Jun 11, 2024, 21:45
 Prez

I was actually hoping that it would be sooner. Oh well - I will try more MW5 mods instead
- Mahatma Gandhi
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older