DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced

Bethesda Softworks officially announces DOOM: The Dark Ages, confirming the rumored title of the next installment in id Software's first-person shooter series. This is expected next year for Windows, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5, and Game Pass. The announcement trailer reveals it as a prequel, and along with familiar DOOM elements it shows several changes that take the action in new directions. One of them is skyward, as there's what appears to be dragon riding. We also see a throwable chainsaw shield and a demonic mech suit. Update: The game's Steam Listing and Official Announcement are now live (thanks Frans), so here's a better description:
Wage war as one man matched against Hell’s legions in a dark fantasy setting expanding the DOOM universe. Witness the origin of the Slayer’s rage and his rise from a kingdom’s last hope to Hell’s greatest fear in this pulse-pounding, cinematic prequel to DOOM (2016) and DOOM Eternal.

Go medieval on battalions of demons, made up of all-new threats as well as familiar foes reforged from DOOM’s classic bestiary. Bring their malicious forces to heel with heavy duty shooter combat in a heroic story of epic proportion, powered by the latest idTech engine.

Blast, bludgeon, bisect and break through the enemy ranks using the Slayer’s superhuman strength, lethal arsenal and unmet tenacity. Supplement your trusty Super Shotgun with The Dark Ages’ new weaponry, including the face-shattering Flail and revved-up, throwable Shield Saw.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages
Jun 14, 2024, 05:34
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Jun 14, 2024, 05:34
Jun 14, 2024, 05:34

El Pit wrote on Jun 10, 2024, 13:12:
Okay, how about we forget that Doom Eternal even exists, id Software, and you go back to letting the player choose and use his favorite weapon instead of you forcing him to use the weapon you want. And also, please less Doomky Kong because "It's a me, Super Space Marine" is not what I was looking for. A game like Doom (2016) but a bit more with Medieval influence would be most welcome in my home. But keep your "NintenDoom" for yourselves, please.

I couldn't agree more! I hated the rock/paper/scissor combat in Doom Eternal; if I want to play the entire game using my favorite weapon i.e. the shotgun, I believe a shooter like Doom especially should let me. I also hated going from one arena to another. I liked Doom 2016 way more.

I have high hopes for Doom: The Dark Ages, because they write about a story-driven game. Just like Doom 2016 was. Only a most flexible acrobat would consider Doom Eternal story-driven.
Where are the adults?

Jun 12, 2024, 09:57
Flo

Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Jun 12, 2024, 09:57
Jun 12, 2024, 09:57
 Flo

El Pit wrote on Jun 10, 2024, 13:12:
Okay, how about we forget that Doom Eternal even exists, id Software, and you go back to letting the player choose and use his favorite weapon instead of you forcing him to use the weapon you want. And also, please less Doomky Kong because "It's a me, Super Space Marine" is not what I was looking for. A game like Doom (2016) but a bit more with Medieval influence would be most welcome in my home. But keep your "NintenDoom" for yourselves, please.
Everything you said but the opposite
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Jun 10, 2024, 14:59
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Jun 10, 2024, 14:59
Jun 10, 2024, 14:59

The checkpoint save system ruins this iteration of Doom for me. I hate having to replay huge sections of a game because of one little mistake. I will say I appreciate how they've kept with the aesthetic from Doom 3.

Jun 10, 2024, 13:12
El Pit

Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Jun 10, 2024, 13:12
Jun 10, 2024, 13:12
 El Pit

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Jun 10, 2024, 10:35
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Jun 10, 2024, 10:35
Jun 10, 2024, 10:35

I'm all in for medieval Doom... as long as there's no f'ing parkour.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced
Jun 10, 2024, 02:29
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 10, 2024, 02:29
Jun 10, 2024, 02:29

MacLeod wrote on Jun 9, 2024, 18:00:
So is Doom Guy being a Space Marine completely out the window now? What about the lore of his rabbit being killed?

I loved Doom 2016... but stopped playing Doom Eternal fairly early. Couldn't deal with the Super Mario platforming sections and combat loop felt off for me... mechanics got in the way of it. Should have kept it working like the previous game.

Same here. The over the top villains of Eternal, and story exposition ruined the horror and subtle humor that was present in all the previous games. It's like the game became a parody of all things "Doom". Which is ironic in a way, because Doom itself is a parody of mainstream sci-fi horror/fantasy tropes. This kind of looks the same, so I don't really know what to think. Why can't we just go back to hell of Earth?

This comment was edited on Jun 10, 2024, 03:15.

Jun 9, 2024, 22:46
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 22:46
Jun 9, 2024, 22:46

Beamer wrote on Jun 9, 2024, 19:02:
The game did a great job making you feel like an eternal, supernatural demon killer.

I really enjoyed Eternal too. Once you got into a groove, you could really zoom all around taking everything out. It had a few things I wasn't a fan of, like the Marauders and having to time your attacks. Especially when you are fighting several at a time on Nightmare. That was my own dumb fault though.

I look forward to the new one.

Jun 9, 2024, 22:13
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 22:13
Jun 9, 2024, 22:13

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jun 9, 2024, 19:55:
So is Doom Guy being a Space Marine completely out the window now? What about the lore of his rabbit being killed?

It's still intact, I believe. From what I recall, the "Doom Slayer" originally arrived in the fantasy world, in strange armor, battered and blooded as if from a war, and amnesiac; the implication was that he was the original "Doom Guy" teleported to a new realm after the end of the second game. His supreme (perhaps supernaturally endowed) fighting abilities had him rise to prominence from prisoner to war-leader. This new game apparently is telling that part of the story.

So, yes, the death of Daisy remains canon.

Oh wait, now that you said that , I vaguely remember that lore mentioned in the 2016 game (or maybe the beginning of Eternal that I did play). Thanks for the refresher.

Jun 9, 2024, 21:48
MDB
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 21:48
Jun 9, 2024, 21:48
MDB

I loved Doom 2016... but stopped playing Doom Eternal fairly early. Couldn't deal with the Super Mario platforming sections and combat loop felt off for me... mechanics got in the way of it. Should have kept it working like the previous game.
The combat loop was wack. Forcing the player to constantly rotate through 5 different weapons while doing in-air acrobatics made killing things feel like a chore. I loved the point and shoot simplicity of the earlier Dooms.

Jun 9, 2024, 21:22
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 21:22
Jun 9, 2024, 21:22

Meh. After the last one, I'll wait for a deep discount. I was not enthused about the last one due to the eleventyhojillion different types of currency or the frenetic jumping sections meant for meth addicts.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jun 9, 2024, 20:19
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 20:19
Jun 9, 2024, 20:19

Same, there was one platform jump I just could not make. Ended up ragequitting and uninstalling. Seriously bad fucking design. This looks like fun...if you're a teenage twitch monkey with ADD.

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 9, 2024, 19:55
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 19:55
Jun 9, 2024, 19:55

It's still intact, I believe. From what I recall, the "Doom Slayer" originally arrived in the fantasy world, in strange armor, battered and blooded as if from a war, and amnesiac; the implication was that he was the original "Doom Guy" teleported to a new realm after the end of the second game. His supreme (perhaps supernaturally endowed) fighting abilities had him rise to prominence from prisoner to war-leader. This new game apparently is telling that part of the story.

So, yes, the death of Daisy remains canon.

Jun 9, 2024, 19:02
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 19:02
Jun 9, 2024, 19:02

They brought in more that he's a supernatural demon hunter in 2016.

I loved Eternal. The "Mario" sections didn't work for many, but were short and not unpleasant to me. The rest of the game was near perfect, with the exception of like 18 currencies that unlocked stuff only occasionally useful, and too much lore, but both those were ignorable. The actual gameplay was fantastic to me.

The game did a great job making you feel like an eternal, supernatural demon killer.

Jun 9, 2024, 18:00
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 18:00
Jun 9, 2024, 18:00

Jun 9, 2024, 16:58
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 16:58
Jun 9, 2024, 16:58

Uh... Didn't see that coming. I wonder what Romero thinks about it, considering it was either Doom or Quake that he wanted in a similar setting back then.
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Jun 9, 2024, 16:03
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 16:03
Jun 9, 2024, 16:03

Lol, a gun that grinds up skulls and shoots the pieces out.
Sold
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Jun 9, 2024, 13:55
Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 13:55
Jun 9, 2024, 13:55

You had me at "dragon riding."
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 9, 2024, 13:44
Jivaro

Re: DOOM: The Dark Ages Announced Jun 9, 2024, 13:44
Jun 9, 2024, 13:44
 Jivaro

sold.
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older