DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August

Black Salt Games and Team17 announce The Iron Rig is coming to DREDGE on August 15th, adding a second DLC to DREDGE, the sinister fishing adventure. This will require the base game, and will add new equipment, new characters. and new hazards, headlined by the kind of mysterious ooze that rarely turns out to be good news. Here's the Steam Listing, a Release Date Announcement Trailer, and some details:
As the drilling operation on the rig intensifies, something stirs in the primordial depths. A dark liquid begins to seep into familiar and once-safe areas of the game, transforming them into perilous zones. Players must carefully assess the impact of this mysterious substance on local fish species, unveiling peculiar specimens from the abyssal depths as they go about adding more than 50 new fish to the game’s encyclopaedia. The Iron Rig expansion adds a new tier of fishing equipment, as well as new characters to interact with, new hazards to overcome, and new world events and lore to uncover.
View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August
Jun 10, 2024, 16:55
Kxmode

Re: DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August Jun 10, 2024, 16:55
Jun 10, 2024, 16:55
 Kxmode

Beamer wrote on Jun 10, 2024, 11:57:
Kxmode wrote on Jun 10, 2024, 09:28:
Beamer wrote on Jun 10, 2024, 09:18:
Unpopular opinion: Dredge was the most disappointing game I've played in ages.
It's not unpopular. Care to provide a reason?

Mostly, I felt that the player had no influence over the game. You went to point A when the plot said to go to point A. You went to point B when the plot said to. You caught fish A in spot A and fish B in spot B. You found resource A in resource spot A. It didn't feel like I was actually exploring, it felt like I went to the prescribed point on a very rigid map and did exactly what the game wanted me to at that exact time.

Most games like that fill the map with side quests and other activities to create variety. Generally, a company like Ubisoft or CD Projekt Red has the budget to develop such a comprehensive game. However, a small indie studio might have to focus primarily on the main narrative. Does that change your view of the game? 🙂
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Jun 10, 2024, 12:39
Re: DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August Jun 10, 2024, 12:39
Jun 10, 2024, 12:39

I didn't feel it was all that linear, except in the beginning where you need to do certain things just to get the better motor needed to reach the more distant islands without growing old. Matter of fact I purposely did things very out of sequence in the mid game, going to areas I wasn't quite ready for, and got killed a lot, but it was fun.

The game will let you go to areas you really shouldn't go yet, and will let you do a lot of things without the recommended equipment, it's just harder.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Jun 10, 2024, 11:57
Re: DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August Jun 10, 2024, 11:57
Jun 10, 2024, 11:57

Kxmode wrote on Jun 10, 2024, 09:28:

Mostly, I felt that the player had no influence over the game. You went to point A when the plot said to go to point A. You went to point B when the plot said to. You caught fish A in spot A and fish B in spot B. You found resource A in resource spot A. It didn't feel like I was actually exploring, it felt like I went to the prescribed point on a very rigid map and did exactly what the game wanted me to at that exact time.

Nothing was hard. Nothing was challenging. There weren't really puzzles to solve. It was just traveling along. I loved the graphics and the vibe, but just felt like there was absolutely nothing to the gameplay. It felt immensely shallow. For a game that kind of looked like the Jaws NES game, it had less gameplay depth than that one did.

Jun 10, 2024, 10:40
Re: DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August Jun 10, 2024, 10:40
Jun 10, 2024, 10:40

I enjoyed the hell out of it. Surprising indy gem IMO.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Jun 10, 2024, 09:28
Kxmode

Re: DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August Jun 10, 2024, 09:28
Jun 10, 2024, 09:28
 Kxmode

"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Jun 10, 2024, 09:18
Re: DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August Jun 10, 2024, 09:18
Jun 10, 2024, 09:18

Jun 10, 2024, 01:10
Re: DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August Jun 10, 2024, 01:10
Jun 10, 2024, 01:10

The Iron Rig - This too sounds like an ad for my Johnson.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 9, 2024, 16:55
Kxmode

Re: DREDGE: The Iron Rig in August Jun 9, 2024, 16:55
Jun 9, 2024, 16:55
 Kxmode

"On behalf of BP, I just want to say we are deeply sorry."
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older