Out of the Blue

I've been fighting with my email this morning, and so far it's been winning. There's an intermittent outage at my provider, so hopefully this is being worked through. It reminds me of how much more reliable the internet and its workings are than when this site began. Server outages were one thing, but I also had some epic crashes back in the POP days when Eudora and later Outlook just ate my whole mail history. So I really shouldn't complain. But I will, because along the way email has become such a low priority that I can't even find a client I really like, much less a provider.

Provided Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

Creature Features

View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Outage outrage
Jun 6, 2024, 14:11
Prez

Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 14:11
Jun 6, 2024, 14:11
 Prez

My old supervisor in Memphis was an avid hunter. He would feed the deer on his property (he had several acres) and cared for them when it wasn't hunting season. When it was, he would go out, kill any deer he came across (he was an excellent shot), and donate his kill to a local soup kitchen to feed the homeless. I've seen both kinds of hunters. There's a way to do almost anything responsibly and compassionately.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 6, 2024, 11:40
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 11:40
Jun 6, 2024, 11:40

Prez wrote on Jun 6, 2024, 11:03:
Most of the he hunters I used to know would be real fast to tell you that the killing of deer and other game was necessary, but it was a thin mask they hid behind so they could continue to practice their bloodlust. I heard enough stories about deer that they wounded and how long they followed the blood trail before they gave up and went home. I heard enough to last a hundred lifetimes.

Those were shitty hunters and even shittier shots. Though I have rarely hunted deer (never saw the point, we raised chickens and cattle for protein), I have thinned coyote, deer, and javalina populations for the health of the ranch I grew up on. One round = one kill. It was something both my dad and my grandfather drilled in to my skull growing up. If you can't guarantee the kill, don't take the shot because causing an animal undue suffering is cruelty. We did eat what we killed, deer wise, so that it wasn't wasted. I didn't do a clean shot once and I was about 13. "Don't come home without that deer" I was told. I tracked it down and the fear and pain I saw was enough to sear the reason for the one round = one kill in to my soul forever. Also, dragging 150 pounds of dead weight for a couple of miles helps to underscore it as well when you're 13 and not yet fully physically developed.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jun 6, 2024, 11:03
Prez

Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 11:03
Jun 6, 2024, 11:03
 Prez

Beamer wrote on Jun 6, 2024, 10:25:
Prez wrote on Jun 6, 2024, 09:44:
EDIT: Oh and about your nemesis, being an animal lover obviously I hope that you can settle your issues peacefully, but if not make it quick.

No chance. I'll have someone raise the fences. They've overdeveloped here, and we didn't have deer here when I was a kid, but they're everywhere now. I'm on the front lines, so they're overpopulated and underfed. They eat nearly everything. Catmint seems to be the only thing they don't touch, even other mints get at least grazed. So my front yard is not really well landscaped, because my initial attempts were eaten the night I planted things.

My backyard has mostly been good, except for this one deer. I can identify that it's this particular deer at least 50% of the time it's in the yard, and I'd guess it's 100% of the time that single deer. I'll get 20 running through behind the fence at a time, but I think only one jumping the fence. It'll eat so much so quickly, leaving nothing for the bees.

The deer do a lot of environmental damage when they get this overpopulated. The foxes, too, I notice we have no bunnies anymore, because the environment can support a huge number of foxes but not a huge number of rabbits, so the rabbits get eaten quickly. I'd wager the reason why the environment can't support more bunnies is the deer, as well, eating all that rabbits would otherwise graze on. And the deer... absolutely destroying the woodlands through their overpopulation and overgrazing. It's a hugely controversial discussion in my town, because people not near woodlands get the occasional deer, and can have full gardens in their front yard, but people like me have an enormous abundance of deer (and deer poop, come late fall my front yard is more deer poop than not deer poop) see how they've eaten the underbrush of all the woodlands.
Not that there's any easy solution. My backyard is up against not just a different town, but a different county. If my town were to find a way to eradicate every deer within it tomorrow, ones from the other town would be here in a week. If my county were to do it, the same from the other county. Even statewide, they'd just come in from other states. Staten Island has something like 20,000 deer, all from ones that swam across the river.

But something needs to be done. The woods are really going to take a long while to recover from having all the underbrush eaten every year.

Because of the overpopulation and other factors that lead to negative consequences as you mentioned, I am not strictly against culling animal populations down only because it leads to a better existence for other creatures in the ecosystem. I don't like it, but I believe there is a difference between death and suffering. Most of the he hunters I used to know would be real fast to tell you that the killing of deer and other game was necessary, but it was a thin mask they hid behind so they could continue to practice their bloodlust. I heard enough stories about deer that they wounded and how long they followed the blood trail before they gave up and went home. I heard enough to last a hundred lifetimes.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 6, 2024, 10:59
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 10:59
Jun 6, 2024, 10:59

Prez wrote on Jun 6, 2024, 10:31:
*SIGH* Leave it to BoP to come in and complicate things. 😜

<Grins> Sorry-not-sorry.

Prez wrote on Jun 6, 2024, 10:31:
In the simplest sense, the Xenomorph can no longer be a horror movie antagonist. But as you pointed out, there are ways that it can still be done. By the time 'Alien Isolation' came out, I was already thoroughly familiar with the Xenomorph. By the skillful application of tension and psychological manipulation, that game still scared the shit out of me. I just have zero faith that we have directors that can still do that. Or be allowed to by the pathetic goons running Hollywood who constantly think that they know better because they drive a nicer car and live in a bigger house.

Aliens: Isolation is probably one of my favorite horror games of all time for the exact reasons you mentioned. Funnily enough, my dad and I were talking about that game last night during dinner. Although he is not typically a fan of horror games (FPSes and racing sims are his usual go-tos), he absolutely loves that game and was glad I had recommended it to him. Though he did mention he had to stop a few times because it was triggering his CPTSD. "It reminded me too much of the VC" was his comment. I had to stop and think about it for a second. Hadn't thought about through that lens previously but it makes sense.

I think there is a great opportunity still left within the Alien universe but you're right, creative direction needs to be kept away from the hands of suits that are clueless.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Jun 6, 2024, 10:31
Prez

Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 10:31
Jun 6, 2024, 10:31
 Prez

*SIGH* Leave it to BoP to come in and complicate things. 😜

In the simplest sense, the Xenomorph can no longer be a horror movie antagonist. But as you pointed out, there are ways that it can still be done. By the time 'Alien Isolation' came out, I was already thoroughly familiar with the Xenomorph. By the skillful application of tension and psychological manipulation, that game still scared the shit out of me. I just have zero faith that we have directors that can still do that. Or be allowed to by the pathetic goons running Hollywood who constantly think that they know better because they drive a nicer car and live in a bigger house.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 6, 2024, 10:25
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 10:25
Jun 6, 2024, 10:25

Prez wrote on Jun 6, 2024, 09:44:
EDIT: Oh and about your nemesis, being an animal lover obviously I hope that you can settle your issues peacefully, but if not make it quick.

No chance. I'll have someone raise the fences. They've overdeveloped here, and we didn't have deer here when I was a kid, but they're everywhere now. I'm on the front lines, so they're overpopulated and underfed. They eat nearly everything. Catmint seems to be the only thing they don't touch, even other mints get at least grazed. So my front yard is not really well landscaped, because my initial attempts were eaten the night I planted things.

My backyard has mostly been good, except for this one deer. I can identify that it's this particular deer at least 50% of the time it's in the yard, and I'd guess it's 100% of the time that single deer. I'll get 20 running through behind the fence at a time, but I think only one jumping the fence. It'll eat so much so quickly, leaving nothing for the bees.

The deer do a lot of environmental damage when they get this overpopulated. The foxes, too, I notice we have no bunnies anymore, because the environment can support a huge number of foxes but not a huge number of rabbits, so the rabbits get eaten quickly. I'd wager the reason why the environment can't support more bunnies is the deer, as well, eating all that rabbits would otherwise graze on. And the deer... absolutely destroying the woodlands through their overpopulation and overgrazing. It's a hugely controversial discussion in my town, because people not near woodlands get the occasional deer, and can have full gardens in their front yard, but people like me have an enormous abundance of deer (and deer poop, come late fall my front yard is more deer poop than not deer poop) see how they've eaten the underbrush of all the woodlands.
Not that there's any easy solution. My backyard is up against not just a different town, but a different county. If my town were to find a way to eradicate every deer within it tomorrow, ones from the other town would be here in a week. If my county were to do it, the same from the other county. Even statewide, they'd just come in from other states. Staten Island has something like 20,000 deer, all from ones that swam across the river.

But something needs to be done. The woods are really going to take a long while to recover from having all the underbrush eaten every year.

Jun 6, 2024, 10:13
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 10:13
Jun 6, 2024, 10:13

I take a different approach.

The Xenomorph has never been a monster in the closet. If anything, it's a re-interpretation of Grendel. The first and second movies' currency is tension, like all great horror movies. The rest of the movies all forget that and try to turn the Alien movies in to a monster in the closet series. They all are therefore lesser affairs because of that attempt. Fede Alvarez, on the other hand, understands tension and its fundamental presence and need in a horror movie. His two movies that I mentioned upthread prove that.

Think about it for a second. Place yourself in situation where it's you and the Xenomorph in a constrained space. Take everything you know from the Xenomorph with you. You're not some badass future space marine or anything else. You're just schlubby you. What is going to drive your greatest fear? That it has acid for blood? That it can throat rape you with its offspring? That it has a secondary set of jaws that protrude from its primary set? Or is it knowing that your odds of survival are very low because, although you know a bit about is biology, you have very little understanding of it and it is far, far better at killing you than you are it? I'd wager that it is the latter.

And that's why it's Grendel. Grendel is the existential threat we all face. Our death in the face of the unknown and unknowable. How it manifests is rather irrelevant in my opinion. I concur with Beamer about world building vs explanation. The explanation is meaningless and that's why all the movies after Aliens have been hot garbage. It's why Covenant and Prometheus are worse than Resurrection. They're explanations masquerading as world building and they introduce stupid, meaningless concepts to try and tie the Blade Runner universe in. Predator 2 and Aliens v Predator did the same thing. It was meaningless and worthless, diluting the basis of Alien far more than enhancing it.

Take the Xenomorph back to being Grendel and you'll have worthwhile movies to watch.

Jun 6, 2024, 09:44
Prez

Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 09:44
Jun 6, 2024, 09:44
 Prez

'Aliens' wasn't a horror movie, no. The first was. Aliens worked because there was an air of mystery and horror still left to explore about the Xenomorph. (And Cameron hadn't forgotten how to make a good movie yet...)

I agree with your synopsis. My mention of horror specifically is because the Romulus trailer is very obviously telling me that this is supposed to be a horror movie.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2024, 09:59.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 6, 2024, 09:33
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 09:33
Jun 6, 2024, 09:33

Prez wrote on Jun 5, 2024, 19:57:
What makes a horror movie is being denied information. It's scary to be hunted by something you don't understand. When it can be anywhere, and terrifying things keep happening that you don't know are coming and don't understand what is going on and why.

At this point, is there any mystery left to the Xenomorph? What it is? What it wants? Where it comes from? Does it have any weaknesses? Can it be killed? How can it kill you? How it moves, where it can hide? Etc

I feel like I have seen so much of the Xenomorph that we're on a first-name basis. It is scary in the way a lion is scary - there's no mystery, but you know that it is powerful and can easily kill you. Lions aren't cast in horror movies though (unless you count the terrifying live action remake of "The Lion King")

Michael Meyers stopped being frightening about 10 movies ago. Jason Vorhees was scary for about 1 movie. Even with the "Aliens" movie, you got to see more of its life cycle and seeing the Alien queen for the first time was terrifying.

There's a reason why Carpenter's "The Thing" was left at one movie (and one pointless, inferior rehash but we don't talk about that). Let me think of a horror movie villain and be scared, not bored. Please stop with the 'Alien' movies.

I'd argue that Aliens wasn't a horror movie so much as an action movie. Does it have horror elements? Absolutely, but it shifted from a haunted house flick to a war movie. That shift in genre worked really well for it.

I haven't watched all the Aliens movies that ruined Aliens. I know that AvP makes them on Earth in present day, which is ridiculously stupid and unnecessary, and that Prometheus makes them a weapon made by Michael Fassbender, which is also ridiculously stupid and unnecessary, though in different ways. You're right that, if left canon, both those things really damage the mystique of the unstoppable killing machine.

I'll never get why people shift from world building to explaining. I mean, I have a singular deer that keeps jumping my fence and eating hundreds of dollars of native plants that should be feeding birds, bees and butterflies all summer long. I don't need to know its backstory, or where it came from. It's designed to eat, it smells food, and it's hungry. That's enough to make it my arch nemesis.

Jun 6, 2024, 09:20
Prez

Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 6, 2024, 09:20
Jun 6, 2024, 09:20
 Prez

Conceivably another 'Alien' movie could work. Not as a horror movie however. The problem is that trailer clearly communicated that they are trying to advertise this as a horror movie.

As a sci-fi action thriller, possibly. But considering the level of writing and dialogue studios pass off as acceptable and given the track record of 'Alien' movies since the second, it seems more likely that I will see someone walk on water today. The least interesting character in the original 'Alien' or 'Aliens' had more depth and characterization to them than any of the characters in any of the 'Alien' movies since (with the exception of Leonard Dillon in 'Alien 3' - too bad he was cast in such a weak movie). Ripley herself became terrible past 'Aliens' because she had no direction.

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 2024, 09:31.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 5, 2024, 23:08
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 23:08
Jun 5, 2024, 23:08

Prez wrote on Jun 5, 2024, 19:57:
What makes a horror movie is being denied information. It's scary to be hunted by something you don't understand. When it can be anywhere, and terrifying things keep happening that you don't know are coming and don't understand what is going on and why.

At this point, is there any mystery left to the Xenomorph? What it is? What it wants? Where it comes from? Does it have any weaknesses? Can it be killed? How can it kill you? How it moves, where it can hide? Etc

I feel like I have seen so much of the Xenomorph that we're on a first-name basis. It is scary in the way a lion is scary - there's no mystery, but you know that it is powerful and can easily kill you. Lions aren't cast in horror movies though (unless you count the terrifying live action remake of "The Lion King")

Michael Meyers stopped being frightening about 10 movies ago. Jason Vorhees was scary for about 1 movie. Even with the "Aliens" movie, you got to see more of its life cycle and seeing the Alien queen for the first time was terrifying.

There's a reason why Carpenter's "The Thing" was left at one movie (and one pointless, inferior rehash but we don't talk about that). Let me think of a horror movie villain and be scared, not bored. Please stop with the 'Alien' movies.

It can still be done if done well. The reason Alien worked was because, yeah, it was new and a new experience. It was also a slow burn and creeping horror as the realization dawned on them all they were fucked. I still love Ash's observation to this day....

Ripley: What was your special order?
Ash: You read it. I thought it was clear.
Ripley: What was it?
Ash: Bring back life form. Priority One. All other priorities rescinded.
Parker: The damn company. What about our lives, you son of a bitch?
Ash: I repeat, all other priorities are rescinded.
Ripley: How do we kill it, Ash? There's gotta be a way of killing it. How? How do we do it?
Ash: You can't.
Parker: That's bullshit.
Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.
Lambert: You admire it.
Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Parker: Look, I am... I've heard enough of this, and I'm asking you to pull the plug.
Ash: Last word.
Ripley: What?
Ash: I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Aliens worked because they still didn't believe Ripley and the Marines were all arrogant assholes who thought they could take on anything.
Hudson Is The ULTIMATE Badass!

Alien Resurrection? Same premise, arrogance. I still quite like this film mostly because of the cast though.

This new one? Looks like a typical jump scare horror film. Not what Alien is about.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 5, 2024, 22:56
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 22:56
Jun 5, 2024, 22:56

AlexSledge wrote on Jun 5, 2024, 17:46:
I've gotta say the same.... I want to bail on Google, but I honestly only need it for license recovery and bill pay confirmations. I set up a protonmail account at one point, and Google is syncing over to it, but eh. There's a whole lot of work waiting for me, for very little ROI working on the full switch.

I use ProtonMail - and ProtonVPN - for my important things, anything medical, really personal, banking, etc. Hotmail for less spammy shit. And Gmail for spammy shit.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 5, 2024, 19:57
Prez

Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 19:57
Jun 5, 2024, 19:57
 Prez

This comment was edited on Jun 5, 2024, 20:14.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 5, 2024, 17:46
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 17:46
Jun 5, 2024, 17:46

I've gotta say the same.... I want to bail on Google, but I honestly only need it for license recovery and bill pay confirmations. I set up a protonmail account at one point, and Google is syncing over to it, but eh. There's a whole lot of work waiting for me, for very little ROI working on the full switch.
I should be coding.

Jun 5, 2024, 17:29
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 17:29
Jun 5, 2024, 17:29

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 5, 2024, 14:35:
I have heard good things about Fastmail.

I've been using Fastmail for almost 8 years and it's been pretty solid for me.

Jun 5, 2024, 15:19
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 15:19
Jun 5, 2024, 15:19

That rock is a hazard. It's way to low to the ground so it's not going to be visible at all if the driver is near by. It's no suprise that people keep hitting it. There's a reason protective poles are usually tall and painted yellow.

Jun 5, 2024, 14:35
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 14:35
Jun 5, 2024, 14:35

Huh. Never had an issue with Eudora. I nearly cried when I was forced to switch to Outlook. Although, as much as I hate to say it, over the years Outlook wasn't really that bad for office use. As far as providers go, I don't have personal experience, but I have heard good things about Fastmail.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jun 5, 2024, 13:12
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 13:12
Jun 5, 2024, 13:12

Giraffe grabs toddler in Texas
https://fossilrim.org/animals/
I'd pay to watch them drive through the "lions, tigers and bears" part of the park.
oh my
Why it's so hard to get back in touch with old friends.
if you don't want to make an account/login http://archive.today/SmP3J
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 5, 2024, 13:06
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 13:06
Jun 5, 2024, 13:06

Nullity wrote on Jun 5, 2024, 12:54:
Alien: Romulus - Official Trailer.
*sigh* It's long past time to take this franchise away from Ridley Scott. He hasn't had any mojo for quite awhile. Put your ego away and let Neill Blomkamp take his shot.

They did. Scott's production company is the only Scott related involvement. Fede Alvarez is the director. The trailer gives off a real Alien:Isolation vibe which I like. Plus Alvarez directed the Evil Dead remake and Don't Breathe, both of which I enjoyed.

I'm not going to get my hopes up but I think the film has a better chance of being an actual Alien flick than the two turds that Scott churned out.

Jun 5, 2024, 12:54
Re: OotB: Outage outrage Jun 5, 2024, 12:54
Jun 5, 2024, 12:54

Alien: Romulus - Official Trailer.
*sigh* It's long past time to take this franchise away from Ridley Scott. He hasn't had any mojo for quite awhile. Put your ego away and let Neill Blomkamp take his shot.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older