View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Sunday Metaverse
May 27, 2024, 08:45
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 27, 2024, 08:45
May 27, 2024, 08:45

Shteve wrote on May 27, 2024, 07:52:
Google changes their algorithm all the time. This is why there are SEO jobs around where they're trying to find what are the things that the search engines are targetting to get higher up the results list. It seems pretty daft of that company to have rested on their laurels that they were the top hit, and then to get rid of staff once they weren't any more rather than employing someone (or trying themselves) to change their position.

Yes, but they used to prioritize information readiness. Over the past 24 months, it's shifted to product purchasing. It's gotten worthless

May 27, 2024, 07:52
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 27, 2024, 07:52
May 27, 2024, 07:52

Google changes their algorithm all the time. This is why there are SEO jobs around where they're trying to find what are the things that the search engines are targetting to get higher up the results list. It seems pretty daft of that company to have rested on their laurels that they were the top hit, and then to get rid of staff once they weren't any more rather than employing someone (or trying themselves) to change their position.

May 27, 2024, 07:02
Bub
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 27, 2024, 07:02
May 27, 2024, 07:02
Bub

Google melds the craven must sell advertising mania of how they started search together with the obsession of more clicks = engagement = more eyeballs = more advertising revenue of Youtube ushering them at light speed into the final stages of enshittification. They operate using negative information retrieval methods. Now their new AI is set to promote the least factual and incorrect information they have scraped which they then grind, pound, crush, mash, and bruise that into a crude facsimile they can sell advertising off that will prevent the clueless from ever having to bother leaving Google's site for information elsewhere.
==================================================
Bubb Stubbley
... I miss BBS..
"There is a sucker born every minute." - PT Barnum
==================================================

May 26, 2024, 19:26
Prez

Re: Sunday Metaverse May 26, 2024, 19:26
May 26, 2024, 19:26
 Prez

Flatline wrote on May 26, 2024, 17:34:
Prez wrote on May 26, 2024, 14:39:
I imagine that this might be true if Google=the Internet. It certainly doesn't for me.

Google funnels enough traffic around the internet that it can easily destroy competition and pick winners. It can absolutely reshape the internet, and reasonably quickly at that. It's been doing that steadily since about 2019. The person promoted to the head of search around then (Ironically the same guy who destroyed Yahoo's search a decade or so earlier) has, in emails from DOJ's suit against Google, shown that he was okay with search returning shitty results so that you kept coming back to google so they kept getting ad revenue. Google's SEO also seems to favor AI generated content too. It's rewarding flooding the internet with shit and will 100% have an impact on the greater net.

I have to admit that you are exactly right. Most people will definitively see a different internet because of how much control of it that Google has bought itself. I'm an ornery old bastard who goes out of his way to make sure that I use the Internet specifically to avoid interacting with anything that Google has it's dirty paws in. But it takes a lot of effort (and even then it's basically unavoidable even for me) and most people aren't stubborn, ornery old bastards like me and will not go to the lengths that I do. When you get as big and as rich as Google, you no longer need to stifle competition because there won't really be any. I don't like it, but I have to concede the point.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 26, 2024, 17:34
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 26, 2024, 17:34
May 26, 2024, 17:34

Prez wrote on May 26, 2024, 14:39:
I imagine that this might be true if Google=the Internet. It certainly doesn't for me.

Google funnels enough traffic around the internet that it can easily destroy competition and pick winners. It can absolutely reshape the internet, and reasonably quickly at that. It's been doing that steadily since about 2019. The person promoted to the head of search around then (Ironically the same guy who destroyed Yahoo's search a decade or so earlier) has, in emails from DOJ's suit against Google, shown that he was okay with search returning shitty results so that you kept coming back to google so they kept getting ad revenue. Google's SEO also seems to favor AI generated content too. It's rewarding flooding the internet with shit and will 100% have an impact on the greater net.

May 26, 2024, 17:21
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 26, 2024, 17:21
May 26, 2024, 17:21

Bi(n)g thanks to Google.

May 26, 2024, 16:21
Re: Sunday Metaverse May 26, 2024, 16:21
May 26, 2024, 16:21

Was the internet ever at risk of staying the same?
“If we didn’t run at 60hz, boy, your reputation was shot.” - Ed Logg

May 26, 2024, 14:39
Prez

Re: Sunday Metaverse May 26, 2024, 14:39
May 26, 2024, 14:39
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older