Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case

Some posts from Stephen Totilo on X reveal Bungie has prevailed in its lawsuit against Aimjunkies and Phoenix Digital for selling cheats used in Destiny 2. The award was $63,210, as it's explained this is based on profits, not damages, and legal costs don't seem to be part of the ruling. Stephen notes this may be the first time a case based on cheats went to a jury, and that the jury rejected Aimjunkies' counterclaim alleging Bungie illegally accessed one of its computers. This post adds that Phoenix Digital founder David Schaefer says his group will fight this, moving for a dismissal or appeal, disputing whether Bungie proved this involved a copyright violation. For perspective, he re-adds the following note:
Game companies have been getting default rulings against cheat-makers for years, often with giant, multi-million-$ awards. This was the rare case where cheat-makers pushed back, said their actions weren't illegal and it was left for a jury to decide
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case
May 26, 2024, 08:24
Prez

Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case May 26, 2024, 08:24
May 26, 2024, 08:24
 Prez

And my problem is that when a company does things that cheat customers, we make excuses for them. It's not that the dude paid the price for bad behavior; it's that companies who do just as gross shit as he did are excused time and time again. The double standard doesn't work for me, sorry.
I'm assuming that either no one remembers or has not bothered to look up just how shitty Bungie has been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq05MgGMVMM

They cheated players to make money. They lied about it until they got caught. But it's okay for them - corporations will have excuses made for them while we vilify people who aren't rich companies.

They vaulted shit that I paid for so I couldn't play it anymore. One DLC locked part of what I bought behind a paywall, saying that I would have to pay for it again. That is THEFT in my world.

But it was 6 years ago, and gamers tend to forgive and forget when the next shiny comes out. Not me; I'm a stubborn fucker and I hold grudges when corporations are thieves.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 26, 2024, 07:59
Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case May 26, 2024, 07:59
May 26, 2024, 07:59

From my perspective it doesn't matter whether Destiny 2 is/was trash or not, nor whether Bungie were the ones making it a shitty experience.

To me the important part is that people who tried to profit from selling cheats for a multiplayer game lost in court.

May 26, 2024, 07:05
Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case May 26, 2024, 07:05
May 26, 2024, 07:05

Guys who make a business out of making cheats for an online competitive game make car salesmen look like saints.

May 25, 2024, 23:12
Prez

Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case May 25, 2024, 23:12
May 25, 2024, 23:12
 Prez

I'm not being disingenuous, and I'm not making an argument. They lied to players and did a lot more than just "ran their business their way". Asshole or not, this cheat maker is just like you and me because he is not a monolithic corporation that is allowed to do whatever they like without repercussions as Bungie is. I don't give a shit about some cheat maker; all I know is that he didn't kill my enjoyment of Destiny 2, Bungie did by doing shady shit. You're just going to have to excuse me if I don't have any sympathy for them given how they think it is okay to treat paying customers in order to make money.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 25, 2024, 22:49
Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case May 25, 2024, 22:49
May 25, 2024, 22:49

Prez wrote on May 25, 2024, 18:51:
This doesn't sit right with me even if the cheat maker is an asshole. Look at some of the disgusting shit that Bungie has done in Destiny 2's history. They have actively been caught lying more than once. They have deliberately disappeared content that I paid for. They have exploited their user base for monetary gain many times, but that is considered shrewd business. The little guy does it and gets branded as the scum of the earth.

It's their property to do with as they please. You'd be singing a different tune if some parasite were costing you money. This isn't about Bungie, it's about scumbags who are breaking the law AND ruining gaming for everyone else.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

May 25, 2024, 21:52
Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case May 25, 2024, 21:52
May 25, 2024, 21:52

Prez wrote on May 25, 2024, 18:51:
This doesn't sit right with me even if the cheat maker is an asshole. Look at some of the disgusting shit that Bungie has done in Destiny 2's history. They have actively been caught lying more than once. They have deliberately disappeared content that I paid for. They have exploited their user base for monetary gain many times, but that is considered shrewd business. The little guy does it and gets branded as the scum of the earth.

Trying to equate a cheat maker with the noble 'little guy' is a disingenuous argument. This isn't someone making cheats for a single player game, this is someone trying to profit off of making other people's game experiences shittier. I hope this sets a precedent that allows game companies to sue every multi-player game cheat maker into the ground.

May 25, 2024, 18:51
Prez

Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case May 25, 2024, 18:51
May 25, 2024, 18:51
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

May 25, 2024, 15:58
Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case May 25, 2024, 15:58
May 25, 2024, 15:58

They calculated it on profits not damages, because even the most egregious cheating will do 0 damage to the non-existent fun in that game.
“If we didn’t run at 60hz, boy, your reputation was shot.” - Ed Logg

May 25, 2024, 11:06
Re: Bungie Prevails in Cheating Case May 25, 2024, 11:06
May 25, 2024, 11:06

Cheat makers are trash. They exist to ruin games for legit players, and then hide behind flimsy arguments as to why what they're doing isn't wrong.

"Hey man, I just make tools whose only use is to break into people's houses. I don't use them myself! I just sell them to people, what THEY do with them is their personal business, not mine!"
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older