Out of the Blue

We're heading into the Memorial Day weekend here in the US, a three day affair that's considered the unofficial start of summer. Furiosa opens today, and I'm set on this being my first visit to a theater since before the pandemic, but I am not so hyped I need to run out and see it this weekend. On the other hand, Dune 2 is now on Max, and since I didn't get out to see that, I'm greatly looking forward to catching up. MrsBlue has already been warned this will entail a double-feature with the first movie, so we're all set. We don't have any other plans, and that's not really a problem from our standpoint. But many do, of course. There will be a lot of travelers this weekend, so if you're among them, stay safe and have fun!

Obituary: Kabosu dies: Shiba inu dog was meme and face of Dogecoin. Thanks Devicer and brother19.
Obituary: Morgan Spurlock Dead- 'Super Size Me' Director Was 53.

Cinematic Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Science

Media

Creature Features

Follow-up

View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: On the movie
May 24, 2024, 23:42
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 23:42
May 24, 2024, 23:42

Mr. Tact wrote on May 24, 2024, 12:02:
I have no gripes with suits in general, but neck ties? Absolutely hate neck ties. Another good reason to dislike France(mostly kidding), for spawning that heinous attire on the rest of the world. Last time I wore a necktie was 1995, pretty sure it will always be the last time I wore one.

My two bits exactly. I honestly believe the neck tie is the stupidest fashion accessory in history right behind the drake. Suits without ties look great. I have yet to meet the woman who doesn't like to see a man in a suit - 'Wow! You clean up really nicely!' I use to have a black linen suit in the late 80s. Loved that thing. Met so many women wearing it and they loved it. I miss Don Johnson and Miami Vice.
Race
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

May 24, 2024, 21:42
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 21:42
May 24, 2024, 21:42

RedEye9 wrote on May 24, 2024, 20:31:
Does the book explain what pushes the worms forward when they are on the surface. I'm not concerned with how they swim when submerged in sand.
No explanation of what action is propelling them forward, only that they are forced to stay on the surface by exposing the tender areas under the ring segments by lifting the front of the segment. They rotate to keep the exposed segment at the top away from the sand.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 24, 2024, 20:31
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 20:31
May 24, 2024, 20:31

Does the book explain what pushes the worms forward when they are on the surface. I'm not concerned with how they swim when submerged in sand.

Snakes slither on the surface. As they move they create a series of undulating waves that press on the sand around them, in effect creating a net force forward which propels them forward.
Earthworms move like a slinky, they compress some body segment and expand others.
info from How Dune's Sandworms Swim
https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/28141/how-do-the-dune-sandworms-move
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

May 24, 2024, 20:04
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 20:04
May 24, 2024, 20:04

Just finished with Dune 2. Of course there were many things left out or changed. But even as someone who honestly believes Dune is the single best science fiction novel of all time, possibly the best fiction novel of all time, and read the novel at least a dozen times -- I have to say I doubt you do much better in the time allotted.

The two things which stood out the most to me was Alia not being born prior to Paul becoming Emperor, meaning a much faster timeline. In the novel I think Alia was like 3 or 4 at the time Paul seized the throne, and she dispatched the Baron. The second thing was the speed of the sandworms. I'd I have to go back and check but I don't think much is really said about the speed which they travel on the surface, but I never had the impression they were as fast as indicated in the movie.

All in all, I'll need time to reflect, but I suspect I'll think of the two films as a single thing and they will definitely have a spot in my top 10 science fiction films of all time.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
May 24, 2024, 18:24
Prez

Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 24, 2024, 18:24
May 24, 2024, 18:24
 Prez

I kind of like the look of a proper gentleman in a suit. I'm kinda old fashioned though. Humans have been dressing up for occasions for a very long time; the formal dressware has changed somewhat but surprisingly little over the last few centuries. Regardless, compared to how women used to dress up for formal occasions (thinking the 18th and 19th century formal British and colonial extravaganzas) guys have had it pretty easy I would say.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
May 24, 2024, 17:57
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 24, 2024, 17:57
May 24, 2024, 17:57

jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2024, 15:21:
I wonder how Spurlock's various movie stunts contributed to his death, like Supersize Me and the one where he tried to live on a dollar a day for food.
I think the chronic alcoholism since he was 13 years old contributed?

May 24, 2024, 15:37
Tom
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 15:37
May 24, 2024, 15:37
Tom

Dune 2 was not as crap as the first one, but still pretty crap IMO. Serious snoozefest, still hate what they did with Lady Jessica, this Chani would've been a better fit in Twilight, Christopher Walken was a cool guy but barely held it together to play the emperor - sadly they gave him trash dialogue just like everyone else, etc. Josh Brolin redeemed himself a little bit, maybe. I give the first movie 3 out of 10, second one 4 out of 10. Lynch gets 7 out of 10.

May 24, 2024, 15:21
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 15:21
May 24, 2024, 15:21

I wonder how Spurlock's various movie stunts contributed to his death, like Supersize Me and the one where he tried to live on a dollar a day for food.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

May 24, 2024, 14:05
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 14:05
May 24, 2024, 14:05

Drew Carey REALLY Loved Phish
Crap, not only is it bleeped but they're also blurring his mouth.
SIGH

Google it for some of his tweets about the concert, etc. It was so good he'd stick his🍆in a blender.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

May 24, 2024, 13:50
mch
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 13:50
May 24, 2024, 13:50
mch

sauron wrote on May 24, 2024, 12:51:

Blue, you should definitely see Dune Part 2 - watched it with my kids and it is excellent.

Seconded - Dune 2 was fantastic.

May 24, 2024, 13:04
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 13:04
May 24, 2024, 13:04

Roy Rogers Ronald Reagan would roll over in his grave if he could see today's republican party.

May 24, 2024, 12:51
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 12:51
May 24, 2024, 12:51

Mr. Tact wrote on May 24, 2024, 12:02:
I have no gripes with suits in general, but neck ties? Absolutely hate neck ties. Another good reason to dislike France(mostly kidding), for spawning that heinous attire on the rest of the world. Last time I wore a necktie was 1995, pretty sure it will always be the last time I wore one.

Heh, not like we need additional reasons to make fun of our French cousins (just kidding).

Blue, you should definitely see Dune Part 2 - watched it with my kids and it is excellent.
Kittens!

May 24, 2024, 12:48
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 12:48
May 24, 2024, 12:48

Sabine Hossenfelder goes full cosplay, and I'm loving it!

The Physics of Portals (Made With Love)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cox7481IE6o
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

May 24, 2024, 12:16
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 12:16
May 24, 2024, 12:16

I'm with you on that, Tact.

Thankfully, although I do attend a few black tie affairs, and the rare business meeting, no one really cares if you wear a tie anymore. I've done the black tee under a black suit if I'm in a casual mood. If I wear a dress shirt, it's generally open collar, but I might button up the collar if it's something formal like a funeral, but no tie, just a jeweled button cover on the top button, which Tom Hanks made fashionable a couple of decades ago (and for which I will forever thank him): I have a few that look something like this:

https://www.morcouture.com/morcouture-swerve-collar-shirt-and-swarovski-button-cover.html

This comment was edited on May 24, 2024, 12:35.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

May 24, 2024, 12:02
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 12:02
May 24, 2024, 12:02

Re: Suits are the perfect garment. Why have they lost their power
May 24, 2024, 12:01
Re: Suits are the perfect garment. Why have they lost their power May 24, 2024, 12:01

Simon Says wrote on May 24, 2024, 11:53:
I instantly distrust anyone in a suit.

Nowadays it's just a sign that you either:

- Take yourself way too seriously.
- Your main focus is making money and you want mine.
- Some other scummy reason.
- You're a narcissist asshole.

Only legitimate reason I might wear a suit is for a marriage and only if it's required, that's it.

Also:

- You're an attorney

But that can also come under your reasons 2, 3 & 4 : )

Re: Suits are the perfect garment. Why have they lost their power
Re: Suits are the perfect garment. Why have they lost their power May 24, 2024, 12:01

Simon Says wrote on May 24, 2024, 11:53:

Only legitimate reason I might wear a suit is for a marriage and only if it's required, that's it.

These days, at least in cities, it's kind of the opposite. The people making money no longer need suits. Suits are often those not making money. Car salesmen, loan officers, bank tellers, etc. When I see someone in a suit, I usually kind of pity them. They're forced to wear something kind of expensive and hard to maintain, and doing so with awful shoes with rubber soles that neither look good nor are comfortable.

There are exceptions, and lots of rich people still in suits, but in NYC at least, I'd wager more people under 6 figures in them than over.

Suits are the perfect garment. Why have they lost their power
May 24, 2024, 11:53
Suits are the perfect garment. Why have they lost their power May 24, 2024, 11:53
May 24, 2024, 11:53

May 24, 2024, 11:29
Re: OotB: On the movie May 24, 2024, 11:29
May 24, 2024, 11:29

NCAA settlement a historic day for paying college athletes.
The nearly $2.8 billion settlement that has been approved by the NCAA and the nation’s five largest conferences is a historic step toward a more professional model for college sports.
The plan, which still needs approval from plaintiffs and a federal judge, calls for paying damages to thousands of former and current college athletes who say now-defunct NCAA rules prevented them from earning endorsement money.
It also calls for setting up a first-of-its-kind revenue-sharing system for college athletes, which will impact hundreds of schools across the country as early as fall 2025.
Astronomers are wasting their time.
Counting Crows
I put out hamburger on the second floor terrace for the 3 ravens that hang around the ranchette where I housesit. They are amazingly smart flying dinosaurs, but a little wary.
One morning I was wrapping up the watering when I heard one. It lit on top of a half telephone pole, harassed by a bunch of smaller birds. I immediately took some hamburger to the upstairs snack bar, and then went to the upstairs bathroom to grab tissue to wipe my hands (it was raw meat, I washed them later). The second I walked out of the bathroom The Raven was flying away and the meat was gone. All in about a minute.
SuperSizeMe was more of a spoof than a documentary. Supposedly Morgan lied about his previous health conditions.

This comment was edited on May 24, 2024, 11:43.
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older