Out of the Blue

I ignored news of overclocking issues with 13th gen Intel CPUs like mine for as long as I could, but I got a couple of BSODs yesterday, so I finally did turn off the overclock suggested by my motherboard, which is indeed from ASUS. This fixed the crashing. It also fixed an odd error I still can't figure out, but the overclock seems to have been the cause of the spellchecker in my HTML editor to identify properly spelled words as typos, which is some real wtf stuff right there. The follow up set me to troubleshooting a couple of other issues. I'm pretty careful about adding and removing programs, and this install of Windows 10 isn't that old, but I was shocked to find so much garbage to clean up. In fixing one program that wouldn't launch at startup I found a shocking number of traces of partially uninstalled programs all over the place. The good news is that I didn't break anything while removing stuff. There's a reason there are third-party uninstallers for Windows programs out there, and this illustrates that. I'm pretty nervous about using one of those, but considering how happily Windows will break itself, I should probably be more nervous about not using one.

Nervous Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Story

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Creature Features

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Nervous
May 24, 2024, 11:48
Re: OotB: Nervous May 24, 2024, 11:48
May 24, 2024, 11:48

I knew about damaging your eyes from rubbing, from talking to the eye surgeon that did my Dad's Cornea replacement.

I have tried very hard to avoid doing it ever since. Hard habit to break in the morning. I use eye drops right after waking, and, before bed, and any time my eyes feel gritty. I've also been using an eye lid wipe in the mornings, as recommended by my eye doctor, the Occusoft Lid Scrub Plus.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

May 24, 2024, 11:36
Re: OotB: Nervous May 24, 2024, 11:36
May 24, 2024, 11:36

Another vote for Revo Uninstaller. I generally don't like those utilities, and yes there are scripts you can use to uninstall built in Windows uninstallable apps, and you could do your own registry cleaning, but Revo is so much easier.

Needless to say, get Revo directly from their website: https://www.revouninstaller.com/

I used it recently to get rid of all the Windows apps on my workstation and gaming PC, and a few apps I'd installed that seemed to linger with references in the startup and services despite having uninstalled them the official way.

For some apps it will give you three options for registry removals (safe, recommended, extreme, or something like that). I opted for recommended. Registry entry removal for apps is kind of a black art. Most aren't necessary. In the past I would delete every entry that mentioned the program, but sometimes that can be problematic.

Needless to say, backup your registry first (Revo does a Windows Restore point save before every removal). I go even farther and use Macrium Reflect to image the entire C and boot partitions, just in case.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

May 23, 2024, 21:22
Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 21:22
May 23, 2024, 21:22

I can't remember what turned me off about Revo uninstaller. I used it only once and then wiped it. Maybe I got it from a bad source or something?

May 23, 2024, 20:10
Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 20:10
May 23, 2024, 20:10

To remove Windows 10/11 crapware, I always use the PowerShell command line stuff. Any 3rd party apps simply execute those very same commands but those 3rd party apps might come with their own crap like telemetry or ads. I like it clean and manual with full control (as far as we can talk about something like this with Mickeysoft involved) over what's going on.

For example, here is a decent list of PowerShell commands to get rid of just about every built-in crap app. If you copy & paste these commands to the PowerShell command line, it is a quick and easy affair and done in less than five minutes.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

May 23, 2024, 19:45
Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 19:45
May 23, 2024, 19:45

More monkey business.
The brutal heat in Mexico is causing howler monkeys to drop dead from trees
at least 147 monkeys died amid excessive heat raging in the states of Tabasco and Chiapas
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

May 23, 2024, 17:35
Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 17:35
May 23, 2024, 17:35

Another vote for Revo, use it at work (my home system is no longer Windows due to all the issues).

May 23, 2024, 17:20
Wilhuf

Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 17:20
May 23, 2024, 17:20
 Wilhuf

Boeing is blowing the doors off it's competition.

May 23, 2024, 16:42
Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 16:42
May 23, 2024, 16:42

RedEye9 wrote on May 23, 2024, 16:36:
Steele Johnson wrote on May 23, 2024, 15:22:
You should check out Revo Uninstaller. It's 100x better than Windows Add/Remove programs. I use the free version and it is quite good
I second the motion.
I will, thanks guys.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

May 23, 2024, 16:36
Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 16:36
May 23, 2024, 16:36

Steele Johnson wrote on May 23, 2024, 15:22:
You should check out Revo Uninstaller. It's 100x better than Windows Add/Remove programs. I use the free version and it is quite good
I second the motion.

Boeing, wtf are you doing.

Why are there wild monkeys in Florida
https://www.thetravel.com/what-to-know-about-the-silver-springs-monkeys-in-florida/ /snippet
"The macaques arrived in Silver Springs State Park in 1938 when a tour boat operator released six rhesus macaques onto a small island (now inside the park). The operator had planned to set up a Tarzan-themed attraction on the little island, but it wasn't long until those plans fell through. It turns out that macaques are strong swimmers, and just within hours of being placed on the island, they had escaped into the woods."

"Undeterred, another six macaques were brought in as replacements, but they, too, made a runner. "

“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

May 23, 2024, 15:22
Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 15:22
May 23, 2024, 15:22

May 23, 2024, 14:56
Prez

Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 14:56
May 23, 2024, 14:56
 Prez

Which Movies Popularized (or Tarnished) Baby Names?

If I could do it all over again, I would name both of my kids "Karen". And one of them is a guy.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 23, 2024, 13:59
Re: OotB: Nervous May 23, 2024, 13:59
May 23, 2024, 13:59

the spellchecker in my HTML editor
I've been looking for an alternative to Prime95, thanks blue?!!1
I've been watching Ron "But I Digress" Rogers, former Air Force & United Airlines Pilot, youtube videos.
I remembered Captain Sully saying he forget to hit the ditching switch. Of course the co-pilot failed miserably that day, Sully had asked him to restart the engines.
Damn! Did I forget the ditching switch? Miracle on the Hudson. Airbus 320 ditching.
The ditching switch is on the third page of the Ditching Checklist, a couple items down from Gear Up -which I would think should at least be on page 2.
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older