Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO

Arrowhead Studios announces Shams Jorjani as its new CEO, revealing Johan Pilestedt is stepping down from the role, but will remain chief creative officer and chairman of the company he founded. This follows the breakthrough success of Helldivers 2, and Pilestedt explains how this is a positive step for both the company and himself:
“I’ve been thinking about the journey ahead for Arrowhead, the future games we’re going to be making, and running the organisation beyond the 120 or so developers we have currently,” he tells us. “I realised that running an organisation of over 100 people to however large it is going to get… it means I will [have to choose] between deepening my love for game creation, or the business track.

“Over the last year going to launch of Helldivers 2, I’ve been pulled more towards the business side of things, and not able to focus as much on the creative side. That made me realise I needed to make some decisions, both for the success of the business but also myself.
View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO
Jun 5, 2024, 20:14
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO Jun 5, 2024, 20:14
Jun 5, 2024, 20:14

RogueSix wrote on May 23, 2024, 04:08:
Razumen wrote on May 22, 2024, 21:16:
RogueSix wrote on May 22, 2024, 12:35:
“Over the last year going to launch of Helldivers 2, I’ve been pulled more towards the business side of things, and not able to focus as much on the creative side.

One can tell. In fact, Helldivers 2 is the exact definition of creative bankruptcy. You always have to be careful about superlatives like "most" but I'm having a hard time figuring out what other game might be the most overrated piece of shit in the history of video games.

It's kinda sad that gamers' standards have hit such new all-time lows that they are so easily pleased with something as trite and shitty as HD2. The even sadder part is that this is only a stepping stone down the path towards even more dumbed down, banal, trite, boring, shitty games that will still find an audience.

And to think that things seemed to be looking up recently... BG3 is not that long ago and there was this universal hope (at least according to shitfluencers) that more games would strive to achieve certain standards. As expected, it was only a short-lived fad though. BG3 is already long forgotten while low quality trash like HD2 dominates the news and the charts...
Comments like this just show that you're opinion on what makes a game good or not is completely irrelevant.

* your ... and Helldivers 2 is low quality trash which is a fact that is about as relevant as it gets.
Go back to your MLP games, trollolo

May 23, 2024, 09:17
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 23, 2024, 09:17
May 23, 2024, 09:17

In addition to those who've already said they're working on improving balance and the weapons they've nerfed, they've also said that the spawn rates for less than a full squad are bugged (no pun intended) and is getting fixed, so it won't be as difficult for smaller groups.

May 23, 2024, 04:08
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 23, 2024, 04:08
May 23, 2024, 04:08

Razumen wrote on May 22, 2024, 21:16:
“Over the last year going to launch of Helldivers 2, I’ve been pulled more towards the business side of things, and not able to focus as much on the creative side.

One can tell. In fact, Helldivers 2 is the exact definition of creative bankruptcy. You always have to be careful about superlatives like "most" but I'm having a hard time figuring out what other game might be the most overrated piece of shit in the history of video games.

It's kinda sad that gamers' standards have hit such new all-time lows that they are so easily pleased with something as trite and shitty as HD2. The even sadder part is that this is only a stepping stone down the path towards even more dumbed down, banal, trite, boring, shitty games that will still find an audience.

And to think that things seemed to be looking up recently... BG3 is not that long ago and there was this universal hope (at least according to shitfluencers) that more games would strive to achieve certain standards. As expected, it was only a short-lived fad though. BG3 is already long forgotten while low quality trash like HD2 dominates the news and the charts...
Comments like this just show that you're opinion on what makes a game good or not is completely irrelevant.

* your ... and Helldivers 2 is low quality trash which is a fact that is about as relevant as it gets.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
May 23, 2024, 03:46
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 23, 2024, 03:46
May 23, 2024, 03:46

I hadn't played for a few weeks, so I was behind and I didn't have very many Super Samples either. But I still had a blast - in fact, I decided to "role play" a little bit by using the basic strategems and loadouts you could get at level 25 a week after the game's launch, using some stuff from the first warbond (1000 super credits).

Still fun. Pro-tip: scout armor and you can run away from most things if needed (well, at least the bugs). I've saved many teammates by kiting the mobs away from them haha.

May 22, 2024, 21:36
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 21:36
May 22, 2024, 21:36

Simon Says wrote on May 22, 2024, 19:04:

Tweet from Pilestedt confirming his "demotion" is to fix the balance issues, among others:

https://i.redd.it/bx1abtto202d1.jpeg

BTW, he suspects the problem is that TTK is too high, expect buffs.
It's more likely he's referring to the nerfs to some weapons that have made them rather pointless to bring - which is what most people's complaints are about, like the crossbow or Erupter.

May 22, 2024, 21:16
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 21:16
May 22, 2024, 21:16

This comment was edited on May 22, 2024, 21:32.

May 22, 2024, 21:15
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 21:15
May 22, 2024, 21:15

HoSpanky wrote on May 22, 2024, 14:52:
I've lost interest in HD2 until I can get Super Samples at a lower difficulty. The difficulty levels required to get ANY samples at all are just not fun...especially now that they've bumped up patrols for less-than-4-players. Seriously, it's like they just don't want people to have FUN.

If only people who are experts at the game get to make progress, then they've effectively told us that the game is only FOR people who devote a ton of time to it. Weekend Warriors? Fuck right off. Somehow they decided a co-op game that would be (and is, at lower difficulties) a hilarious, bombastic good time just can't be that. They nerf weapons that gave non-pros a chance of getting out with Super Samples. Who gives a shit about balanced weapons in a co-op ONLY game? I don't mind a challenge, but Suicide difficulty is too fucking much.

I really, REALLY enjoyed playing this for a while there, but now that progress is at a standstill due to the impossibility of success on missions that I CAN get progress in...why play at all?
Level 7-8 missions are a lot of fun and what I usually play at. I don't know what to say, other than if you're having problems there, you either need to practice more on the lower difficulties, are trying to play with less than a full squad, or your squadmates are also not that experienced.

There are lots of weapons still that work well on the higher difficulties even with the nerfs to some of them. They're not really the issue, though I do agree with some of them being too over-correcting. Hopefully Pilestadt's comments about the balance issues will bear some fruit.

Other than that, it would defeat the purpose of the samples to allow super-samples to appear on anything less than diff-7. You don't need those upgrades for lower difficulties, and you do not need nearly as many super samples as you do the other sample types (2-3 missions is all you need for any one upgrade requirements). But if you're having trouble a good squad can essentially carry you if you REALLY need them.

May 22, 2024, 19:04
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 19:04
May 22, 2024, 19:04

Tweet from Pilestedt confirming his "demotion" is to fix the balance issues, among others:

https://i.redd.it/bx1abtto202d1.jpeg

BTW, he suspects the problem is that TTK is too high, expect buffs.

May 22, 2024, 17:39
Prez

Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 17:39
May 22, 2024, 17:39
 Prez

Flatline wrote on May 22, 2024, 17:28:
Prez wrote on May 22, 2024, 16:10:
Flatline wrote on May 22, 2024, 14:48:
RogueSix wrote on May 22, 2024, 13:48:
Kxmode wrote on May 22, 2024, 12:54:
Good decision and I agree. A creative person wants to create. They don't want to sell what other's create.

Wrong company for this decision though. What is there to "create" for HD2? More lame bug types? Yay? More boring, barren, deserted planets? More shitty simpleton cookie cutter missions? More loading screens? More stupid "for democracy" one-liners? What?

The game itself and everything about it and its core features is so far removed from being anything remotely creative that I find it hard to imagine that any real talented creative person would spend more than five minutes at Arrowhead. Who (actual creative talented person) would be seriously attracted to making games where all you do is shoot bugs in the face and the ass? Right. No one. Ever.

LOL which person at Arrowhead slept with your wife? This passes beyond "I didn't like it" or "not for me" into personal vitriol that seems out of line with your assessment that the game is, essentially, bland.

He's seemingly like that about most everything that he likes or doesn't like. If he likes it it's thus beyond reproach and anyone who doesn't is a less intelligent simpleton. If he doesn't like it then it's the apex of bad; the culmination of everything terrible in existence absorbed into a singularity. Once you realize his simplicity in binary thinking it becomes quite amusing actually.

Right? When I realized he's comparing Suicide Squad positively to HD2 I just started laughing.

I don't feed into the live service ecosystem but from what I have seen Helldivers 2 is far and away the better game. They took a group of exceptionally interesting characters and made a boring shoot-bang looter shooter out of it. It takes skill to make the Suicide Squad boring. To each his own, but no one from either dev team slept with my mom so I am not that upset about either. 😁
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 22, 2024, 17:32
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 17:32
May 22, 2024, 17:32

HoSpanky wrote on May 22, 2024, 14:52:
I've lost interest in HD2 until I can get Super Samples at a lower difficulty. The difficulty levels required to get ANY samples at all are just not fun...especially now that they've bumped up patrols for less-than-4-players. Seriously, it's like they just don't want people to have FUN.

If only people who are experts at the game get to make progress, then they've effectively told us that the game is only FOR people who devote a ton of time to it. Weekend Warriors? Fuck right off. Somehow they decided a co-op game that would be (and is, at lower difficulties) a hilarious, bombastic good time just can't be that. They nerf weapons that gave non-pros a chance of getting out with Super Samples. Who gives a shit about balanced weapons in a co-op ONLY game? I don't mind a challenge, but Suicide difficulty is too fucking much.

I really, REALLY enjoyed playing this for a while there, but now that progress is at a standstill due to the impossibility of success on missions that I CAN get progress in...why play at all?

I'm more or less there too ultimately. I played it a *lot*, enjoyed it, but don't want to play full pick up games and don't have enough people who like HD2 to make up a full squad so the game has become un-fun for me and I moved on. I feel like I got my money's worth out of it so I am not bitter but yeah, I don't know when I'll be coming back.

In my experience, sooner or later live service games end up focused on catering to hardcore gamers. I think it might be an inevitable endpoint for live services. Destiny 2 got there and I dropped it when I realized to make progress I had to essentially play the game like a second job. I guess it's more profitable to focus on a small core of sweaty players that burn through content in hours than appeal to a larger audience. At first it felt like HD2 aimed at the more casual player but the changes feel a lot more like they're eventually just going to reward sweat.

May 22, 2024, 17:28
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 17:28
May 22, 2024, 17:28

Prez wrote on May 22, 2024, 16:10:
Good decision and I agree. A creative person wants to create. They don't want to sell what other's create.

Wrong company for this decision though. What is there to "create" for HD2? More lame bug types? Yay? More boring, barren, deserted planets? More shitty simpleton cookie cutter missions? More loading screens? More stupid "for democracy" one-liners? What?

The game itself and everything about it and its core features is so far removed from being anything remotely creative that I find it hard to imagine that any real talented creative person would spend more than five minutes at Arrowhead. Who (actual creative talented person) would be seriously attracted to making games where all you do is shoot bugs in the face and the ass? Right. No one. Ever.

LOL which person at Arrowhead slept with your wife? This passes beyond "I didn't like it" or "not for me" into personal vitriol that seems out of line with your assessment that the game is, essentially, bland.

He's seemingly like that about most everything that he likes or doesn't like. If he likes it it's thus beyond reproach and anyone who doesn't is a less intelligent simpleton. If he doesn't like it then it's the apex of bad; the culmination of everything terrible in existence absorbed into a singularity. Once you realize his simplicity in binary thinking it becomes quite amusing actually.

Right? When I realized he's comparing Suicide Squad positively to HD2 I just started laughing.

May 22, 2024, 16:49
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 16:49
May 22, 2024, 16:49

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 22, 2024, 11:22:
Sounds like a guy who knows what he wants. Biggest issue i have with the game (other than the drama) is the weird balance changes they've been doing. They should have left most weapons alone and buffed the under performers and tweaked enemies.

He's been tweeting about time to kill being too high and that this move to step down was to have more time to make the game better. Doesn't need a genius to conclude we're in for some weapons buffs or enemies nerfs.

He's onto the balancing problem and will undoubtedly look into it and fix it. After all HD1 has a very good balance and the weapons aren't pea shooters.

May 22, 2024, 16:10
Prez

Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 16:10
May 22, 2024, 16:10
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

May 22, 2024, 15:16
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 15:16
May 22, 2024, 15:16

I just got sick of the constant nerfing... the buffs never matched up to anything they nerfed, and it just homogenizes (in a poor way) the guns, without allowing them to excel. It's supposed to be a fun couch coop romp killing aliens and robots, I thought?

Well, I guess the crashes also have been a big problem for a while. So many crashes right before extraction, which also significantly diminished my desire to play, sadly. They also ramped up enemy patrols in games with less than 4 players, which was very unnecessary. I only play with friends, so we're often short 1-2 people, and it felt like punishment.

May 22, 2024, 14:52
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 14:52
May 22, 2024, 14:52

May 22, 2024, 14:48
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 14:48
May 22, 2024, 14:48

May 22, 2024, 13:48
Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 13:48
May 22, 2024, 13:48

-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
May 22, 2024, 13:25
Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 22, 2024, 13:25
May 22, 2024, 13:25

Helldivers 2 is pretty good - made some friends there too - a fun game can do that. Makes me wonder about the haters' motives.

May 22, 2024, 12:54
Kxmode

Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 12:54
May 22, 2024, 12:54
 Kxmode

"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

May 22, 2024, 12:43
Prez

Re: Arrowhead Studios Gets New CEO May 22, 2024, 12:43
May 22, 2024, 12:43
 Prez

If you pass his official departure message through the Corporate Bullshit Decoder (patent pending), he's actually saying "I would have remained working here if Sony could have kept their greedy noses out of my business while I was trying to make the best game that I could. But suits are going to suit"
- Mahatma Gandhi
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older