Out of the Blue

It's completely unimportant, but I wanted to add one more note about the recently concluded Knicks/Pacers playoff series. I'm a native New Yorker, but I am just as disgusted as many in the rest of the country were at the shameless way ESPN was all-in on celebrating the Knicks and their fandom. I feel it should be a compliment if you can't figure out who a sports reporter favors in a game. But the way they kept rolling out Stephen A. Smith to scream about "his" team was embarrassing. A lot of people hate New York on principle, and I certainly don't blame fans of teams from smaller markets feeling resentful at this sort of blatant bias. Like I say, not important, but I wanted to rant about that a little.

Obituary: Passenger killed, 30 injured as Singapore Airlines flight hits severe turbulence. Thanks RedEye9.

Biased Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Media

Creature Features

Auction

Follow-up

View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Don't blame you
May 22, 2024, 11:22
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 22, 2024, 11:22
May 22, 2024, 11:22

RedEye9 wrote on May 21, 2024, 12:48:
Just when Boeing could see light at the end of the tunnel
a pilot drives a 777 straight into turbulence.

On a side note;
How much force can those wings take before they snap off.✈️💥🔥

This is why (as recommended but many ignore) I always leave my lap belt on, if loosely, once the belt light goes off. Turbulence is just a normal part of flying. Granted this one seemed pretty extreme to smash people's heads through the overhead and mangle drink carts.

Airliner wings are very strong, stronger than the humans inside. While not part of normal commercial flying, and certainly not specifically designed for it, all these planes are capable of extreme high performance climbs and turns, and have performed them during testing and certification, and emergencies.

In 1994 a FULLY LOADED DC-10 Fedex cargo plane, was flown in loops and inverted flight by the pilot to help the crew restrain a jump seater who attempted to murder the crew with a hammer, and crash the plane for the life insurance money for his family, after the company fired him. The plane exceed Mach a few times, and was so badly stressed that it deformed the structure, and tore some parts of the control surfaces off, and yet was safely landed by a severely injured pilot, blind in one eye with a concussion at that point, by himself, while the other two crewmen (also severely injured) restrained the assailant. Amazing the cargo didn't break loose - the cargo loaders were unsung heroes that day. Due to long term brain injuries, none of the pilots could ever fly again. It's One of the cringiest Mayday episodes I've ever watched, and the actual blood soaked clothes of the crew in press photos, look even worse than depicted in the documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiGQnaOXw5g

At the Dubai air show in 2021, Boeing flew a 777 nearly inverted, and you'll see the wings flex an amazing amount: https://youtu.be/2ugrybCppqU?si=f735Vr7tAVccBYA5&t=487

NASA's 'vomit comet' performs extreme maneuvers in order to simulate zero G, by flying parabolas. They, of course, do a lot of maintenance checks, considering the regular abuse.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2024, 14:28.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

May 22, 2024, 09:36
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 22, 2024, 09:36
May 22, 2024, 09:36

The Pacers-icks (sorry, typo!) media issues remind me of the Reggie Miller-Spike Lee "choke" incident back in the day. We're used to fancy-schmancy, big-city slickers crapping all over Indiana, we're fly-over country after all, plane-poo has to go someplace! If we can get a win every once in a while (looking at you, Tom Brady-era Patriots!) we'll take it, it distracts us from the rest of our land-locked, corn-growing, monoculture misery.

May 22, 2024, 07:12
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 22, 2024, 07:12
May 22, 2024, 07:12

Yeah, see the water companies in the UK, and now it appears also child-care provision. Foreign investors debt-loading companies and then increasing customer bills "due to requiring extra infrastructure investments" yet still making 20%+ profits. There was an electricity company the other day whose profits were up an extra few billion over the previous year, mainly driven by increased bills. Yet we're told the bills needed to go up due to increased supplier costs - so how come that ended up being profit rather than being used to pay for the supply?

May 22, 2024, 04:55
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 22, 2024, 04:55
May 22, 2024, 04:55

On a side note;

Plane wings are simultaneously strong and flexible. The old days of hard fixed wings are long gone in big passenger jets.

The Boeings I flew over the Atlantic Ocean with, its wings were bouncy on the ground and rose high up while in flight. Relative to my viewing position in the plane that is.

I will be hopping onto airbus planes for my vacation in a couple months. So I weirdly feel zero angst over any sort of problem that could happen. Finnair has a solid reputation!
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

ALSO: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/

May 22, 2024, 00:01
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 22, 2024, 00:01
May 22, 2024, 00:01

I didn't know there was such a thing as “clear-air turbulence” and it can't be detected.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

May 21, 2024, 23:15
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 23:15
May 21, 2024, 23:15

Go Celtics! 😁

May 21, 2024, 22:54
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 22:54
May 21, 2024, 22:54

Mr. Tact wrote on May 21, 2024, 17:15:
Kind of interesting on the Graceland auction. Someone is obviously lying through their teeth.

It's a scam for sure. Graceland alone brings in something like $10 million a year, and the Presley estate is worth $500 million or so. They wouldn't need a loan and even if they took one - for whatever inexplicable reason - they could pay it off with loose couch change from Graceland.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

May 21, 2024, 22:51
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 22:51
May 21, 2024, 22:51

Mr. Tact wrote on May 21, 2024, 17:08:
Yeah. I don't know what the count is on companies which have gone under essentially due to a leveraged buyout, but the number is significant. Even if you could find a way to make leveraged buyouts illegal, the damn sharks would find ways to extract the capital from the business anyway.

Bud Fox : I thought that you were gonna turn Bluestar around, not upside-down! You fucking used me.

Gordon Gekko : Well, you're walkin' around blind without a cane, pal. A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place.

Bud Fox : But why do you need to wreck this company?

Gordon Gekko : Because it's *wreckable*, all right? I took another look at it, and I changed my mind.

Bud Fox : If these people lose their jobs, they got nowhere to go! My father has worked there for 24 years! I gave him my word.

Gordon Gekko : It's all about bucks, kid. The rest is conversation... Hey, Buddy, you're still gonna be president, all right? And when the time comes, you're gonna parachute out, a rich man. With the money you're gonna make, your dad's never gonna have to work another day in his life.

Bud Fox : So tell me, Gordon: when does it all end, huh? How many yachts can you water-ski behind? How much is enough?

Gordon Gekko : It's not a question of enough, pal. It's a zero-sum game: somebody wins, somebody loses. Money itself isn't lost or made, it's simply, uh, transferred from one perception to another. Like magic.

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

May 21, 2024, 21:21
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 21:21
May 21, 2024, 21:21

Mr. Tact wrote on May 21, 2024, 17:15:
Kind of interesting on the Graceland auction. Someone is obviously lying through their teeth.
TikTok wants to know if the rights to Elvis music come with the house.
Wouldn't be appropriate for the Chinese to own it, besides those video shorts gotta have tunes.
I've never watched a joe rogan.
And seeing how he interviews a washed up actor/antivaxer who remember being in his mothers womb, it appears I won't be breaking that streak anytime soon.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

May 21, 2024, 18:35
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 18:35
May 21, 2024, 18:35

yonder wrote on May 21, 2024, 17:33:
Stephen A Smith has been embarrassing for decades.
It is kind of his trademark, isn't it?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 21, 2024, 17:33
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 17:33
May 21, 2024, 17:33

Stephen A Smith has been embarrassing for decades.

He's one of the main reasons I stopped watching ESPN

May 21, 2024, 17:15
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 17:15
May 21, 2024, 17:15

May 21, 2024, 17:08
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 17:08
May 21, 2024, 17:08

Beamer wrote on May 21, 2024, 15:32:
That article covers how the PE firm hurt Red Lobster by selling the real estate and then leasing it back to RL, but misses the heavy debt payments RL has due to the leveraged acquisition, and misses that the current parent company is a seafood distributor that has an excess of shrimp and not only forced the endless shrimp, but installed a CEO that got rid of the other two breaded shrimp vendors and forced RL to solely buy their shrimp at a higher price
Yeah. I don't know what the count is on companies which have gone under essentially due to a leveraged buyout, but the number is significant. Even if you could find a way to make leveraged buyouts illegal, the damn sharks would find ways to extract the capital from the business anyway.

May 21, 2024, 16:48
Jim
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 16:48
May 21, 2024, 16:48
Jim

>Red Lobster’s latest major shareholder, Thai Union, a Bangkok-based canned seafood company, saw the promotion as a way to sell off the mountains of shrimp it was catching and turned it into an everyday item

Good thing the sea will never run out of shrimp and other seafood. One day our kids will be paying for our gluttony

May 21, 2024, 15:32
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 15:32
May 21, 2024, 15:32

That article covers how the PE firm hurt Red Lobster by selling the real estate and then leasing it back to RL, but misses the heavy debt payments RL has due to the leveraged acquisition, and misses that the current parent company is a seafood distributor that has an excess of shrimp and not only forced the endless shrimp, but installed a CEO that got rid of the other two breaded shrimp vendors and forced RL to solely buy their shrimp at a higher price

May 21, 2024, 15:29
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 15:29
May 21, 2024, 15:29

Krapalicious wrote on May 21, 2024, 14:08:
As a Sacramento Kings fan, I can't stand the bias against smaller market teams in the national sports media. You almost never see any kind of coverage for teams other than Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, San Francisco, and New York.

I watched Stephen A. Smith for the past year or so, but stopped listening to him when I figured out that he only panders to the larger sports markets.

In fact, I don't really listen or watch any of the national sports media (ESPN and Fox Sports) because they seem to have this belief that you're not relevant if you are in a smaller market. I get the fact that larger markets generate most of the sports revenue, but the market isn't going to grow much beyond the larger cities unless you pay attention to the smaller markets.

GO TIMBERWOLVES!
"For petes sake, have you ever read an article before one of your inane hot takes."
~RedEye9

May 21, 2024, 15:19
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 15:19
May 21, 2024, 15:19

Passenger killed, 30 injured as Singapore Airlines flight hits severe turbulence.

If it helps anyone, that fatality was actually a heart attack, rather than an injury.

May 21, 2024, 14:08
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 14:08
May 21, 2024, 14:08

As a Sacramento Kings fan, I can't stand the bias against smaller market teams in the national sports media. You almost never see any kind of coverage for teams other than Los Angeles, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, San Francisco, and New York.

I watched Stephen A. Smith for the past year or so, but stopped listening to him when I figured out that he only panders to the larger sports markets.

In fact, I don't really listen or watch any of the national sports media (ESPN and Fox Sports) because they seem to have this belief that you're not relevant if you are in a smaller market. I get the fact that larger markets generate most of the sports revenue, but the market isn't going to grow much beyond the larger cities unless you pay attention to the smaller markets.

May 21, 2024, 13:14
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 13:14
May 21, 2024, 13:14

Dog plays piano
Kitty says hold my beer.
https://youtube.com/shorts/Fp4NycUGCkA?si

May 21, 2024, 12:59
Re: OotB: Don't blame you May 21, 2024, 12:59
May 21, 2024, 12:59

On a side note;
I've often contemplated that during rough flights - a danger of preferring the window seat.

This is the first time I've ever hear of a such a fatality. I don't think I'll ever say it's "only" turbulence ever again.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older