8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Metaverse
May 14, 2024, 15:03
Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2024, 15:03
May 14, 2024, 15:03

Use Waterfox.
It automatically searches for bigger tits (.)(.)

From "about:telemetry":
Waterfox does not collect telemetry about your installation - any telemetry modules are disabled when the browser is built. What you do in your browser is only known by you.

May 14, 2024, 14:56
Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2024, 14:56
May 14, 2024, 14:56

RedEye9 wrote on May 14, 2024, 14:27:
RogueSix wrote on May 14, 2024, 12:42:
Waaaahhhh... Firefox is adding telemetry with no way to opt out.
Sames as it ever was, no need to cry.

How do I opt-in or opt-out of sending usage and performance data?

Firefox collects technical and usage data by default but you can turn this off at any time.

Click the menu button and select Settings.
Select the Privacy & Security panel.
Scroll down to the Firefox Data Collection and Use section.
Check or uncheck the box next to Allow Firefox to send technical and interaction data to Mozilla.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/telemetry-clientid

Nah, bro.

That is their normal "opt-out" telemetry which every sane person opts out of the moment they install Firefox, yes. The new search telemetry is not optional. It is only disabled in private mode.

EDIT: The real guide to disable this new telemetry is to open 'about:config', then search for...

browser.search.serpEventTelemetry.enabled
browser.search.serpEventTelemetryCategorization.enabled

... and change these entries from 'true' to 'false'. If it already is 'false' then note that the new telemetry introduced with version 126.0 is -so far- only for US desktop users. The rest of the globe and mobile users should be safe for now.

This comment was edited on May 14, 2024, 15:18.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

May 14, 2024, 14:27
Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2024, 14:27
May 14, 2024, 14:27

Sames as it ever was, no need to cry.

How do I opt-in or opt-out of sending usage and performance data?

Firefox collects technical and usage data by default but you can turn this off at any time.

Click the menu button and select Settings.
Select the Privacy & Security panel.
Scroll down to the Firefox Data Collection and Use section.
Check or uncheck the box next to Allow Firefox to send technical and interaction data to Mozilla.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/telemetry-clientid
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

May 14, 2024, 14:20
Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2024, 14:20
May 14, 2024, 14:20

Wait, they did actually make a way to opt out:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/share-data-mozilla-help-improve-firefox

Not that most users will ever see the release notes.

May 14, 2024, 14:19
Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2024, 14:19
May 14, 2024, 14:19

InsolentCow wrote on May 14, 2024, 13:19:
^ OK. Cool. So what if I search for "big tits"? Will that be in "food", "hobbies" or "real estate"?

That actually might fit under "career", "education", or "health".

Yep, those as well. Incredible! Who da thunk that "big tits" is such a universal, all encompassing topic?

May 14, 2024, 14:03
Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2024, 14:03
May 14, 2024, 14:03

That Firefox telemetry is seriously creepy, and absolutely unacceptable. People go to Firefox to get away from that sort of thing. Firefox's user base has already shrunk. This will make is worse.

Add this new creepiness to the fact that Firefox is now digging through the user's copy/paste buffer on their computer and digging out any URLs without most user's knowledge and consent. This is painting a very, very bad picture for Firefox lately.

There really needs to be a decent alternative now. I'm not a fan of the Chrome based browsers, either.

I guess that I could try DuckDuckGo's browser.

Phrack you, Firefox. This is simply not acceptable for a browser that is supposed to be the way to avoid this b.s.

May 14, 2024, 13:19
Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2024, 13:19
May 14, 2024, 13:19

^ OK. Cool. So what if I search for "big tits"? Will that be in "food", "hobbies" or "real estate"?

That actually might fit under "career", "education", or "health".
"For petes sake, have you ever read an article before one of your inane hot takes."
~RedEye9

May 14, 2024, 12:42
Re: Morning Metaverse May 14, 2024, 12:42
May 14, 2024, 12:42

Telemetry was added to create an aggregate count of searches by category to broadly inform search feature development. These categories are based on 20 high-level content types, such as "sports,” "business," and "travel". This data will not be associated with specific users and will be collected using OHTTP to remove IP addresses as potentially identifying metadata. No profiling will be performed, and no data will be shared with third parties.

^ OK, that doesn't sound so bad... the more detailed article also includes the info that no search data is being collected in private mode.

Let’s say you’re using Firefox to plan a trip to Spain and search for “Barcelona hotels.” Firefox infers that the search results fall under the category of “travel,” and it increments a counter to calculate the total number of searches happening at the country level.

Here’s the current list of categories we’re using: animals, arts, autos, business, career, education, fashion, finance, food, government, health, hobbies, home, inconclusive, news, real estate, society, sports, tech and travel.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older