Apr 25, 2024, 07:16

Re: Engagement Ring
Apr 24, 2024, 12:32
Re: Engagement Ring Apr 24, 2024, 12:32
Apr 24, 2024, 12:32

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 24, 2024, 09:51:
Next up: Diablo, the TV show.

Or how to get people to play Diablo IV.

Blizzard. Stealing your ideas, since 1995.

(Truthfully, the D4 theme and storyline would make a great movie if done well, but that is neither here nor there.)

Finished the D4 campaign recently. What a lark! Made up my mind I would stick with the main campaign during the current season and finish it, finally, after leaving the game several times from sheer frustration. Great game now, for certain, but it surely wasn't the day it shipped as dummy here paid $100 bucks for the whole thing and was never tempted at all by the cosmetics--so I'd certainly buy the base campaign if I had it to do over. No question that I'd buy it again, though. The ending was epic, I thought. One of the best I've ever experienced in a computer game, if not the very best and the most satisfying.

The dark, adult themes of the game and presentation storyline appealed to me, as the game isn't going to please younger players still locked in the throes of "raging hormonal tides," or bubblegum adolescence...;) The counterpoint to D4 is, of course, BG3, a game which I also liked enormously, but BG3 is an entirely different RPG. (Neither game, for me, is an ARPG. Oh, how we love our acronyms--but you gotta' say that sometimes they do come in handy, nonetheless...;))

The only way to play the game is as a single-player RPG, imo. Play the main quest line and when you need to level up to progress further in the main storyline, work side quests and/or strike out for new territories (thus earning more side quests, etc), before coming back and mopping up your main opponents (which is the way all decent RPGs are made in my experience.)

Pay lots of attention to your equipment--I spent large heaps of time in blacksmith shops, upgrading and comparing gear items and weapons and did it ever pay off! Rare indeed is the storebought piece of gear that is better than what you win from your crushed opponents. I saw maybe 1 or at most 2 cases where something in a store appeared superior to that found in the wild. Legendary gear is well worth having and upgrading, of course--makes a huge difference in the efficacy of your demon-slaying self. I played through as a Rogue--purely a blast.

Minor spoiler that actually gives very little away: There's a special ring given up to you in the game by a defeated and slain NPC which mystically adds ~600 points of attack power, but you won't notice that until you experiment with replacing/removing that ring--I didn't see that with any other Legendary jewelry items. There is nothing (that I saw) that would lead the player to that conclusion about this particular ring! Nothing. You have to be paying attention to your stats while you are in a blacksmith's shop to even notice the huge addition to your attack power that donning the ring gives you, and how much you lose when you remove the ring. Thought it might be a bug at first, but as the power of the ring remains undiminished through all seasons and bug fixes, this must be deliberate on Blizzard's part. Items that cost more, or that are rated much higher in power, are not always better/stronger, and sometimes the differences are profound...;)

The only "spoiler" I will leave...when/if you stumble across a piece of Legendary gear with the specialized description of "Blood Drops," it's an item power you definitely want in your arsenal...;) It can often allow you to obliterate huge numbers of enemies in a most satisfying and effective manner. 'kay, 'nuff said!
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Apr 24, 2024, 10:32
El Pit

Re: Engagement Ring Apr 24, 2024, 10:32
Apr 24, 2024, 10:32
 El Pit

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 24, 2024, 09:51:

Shooting Diablo will be much more expensive. It is one thing to use a real desert as a background for a Wasteland tv show but nobody would like to shoot inside the Mount Vesuvius crater for scenes taking place in hell in Diablo. So, Diablo will be much more cgi heavy than Fallout for the later part of the series. And either these cgi effects will suck or they will be expensive.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Apr 24, 2024, 09:51
Re: Engagement Ring Apr 24, 2024, 09:51
Apr 24, 2024, 09:51

Apr 24, 2024, 09:33
Re: Engagement Ring Apr 24, 2024, 09:33
Apr 24, 2024, 09:33

The game is a lot of fun. I've been playing it daily for awhile now, and a lot of the comments I've been seeing are from people who just tried it and are enjoying it. The game has come SO far since it launched, and is a good time now.
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Apr 24, 2024, 02:57
Re: Engagement Ring Apr 24, 2024, 02:57
Apr 24, 2024, 02:57

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 23, 2024, 23:12:
soundeffects wrote on Apr 23, 2024, 19:44:
Fallout TV show attracted them, you mean

How many do you think will come back?

The game is pretty good. Plenty of content, absolutely no need to purchase MTX, a reasonable community. I played from launch (a disaster) and quit for a few years. I paused again last year as I had run out of things to do. I might play again for a while.

It isnt grindy unless you want the best of the best. For free it is no contest and excellent way to spend a few hours.

The event weeks can bring out some fun times (fasnacht is usually good fun, meat week not so much)
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Apr 24, 2024, 01:56
Re: Engagement Ring Apr 24, 2024, 01:56
Apr 24, 2024, 01:56

If you have Amazon Prime, you also got it free.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety

Apr 23, 2024, 23:12
Re: Engagement Ring Apr 23, 2024, 23:12
Apr 23, 2024, 23:12

How many do you think will come back?

Apr 23, 2024, 19:44
Re: Engagement Ring Apr 23, 2024, 19:44
Apr 23, 2024, 19:44