1 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Business & Finance
Apr 22, 2024, 14:08
Re: Business & Finance Apr 22, 2024, 14:08
Apr 22, 2024, 14:08

While that's really groovy and all, I'm still waiting for the day that these LEED style buildings are actually affordable for the masses and not just monolithic corporations with virtually unlimited funds.

"The 1200 metre-squared building was built on Rare’s campus in Twycross, Leicestershire and has been certified LEED Gold sustainable building status....The building runs entirely on electricity, some of which is offset by 750 seuqe [sic] metres of solar panels located in a nearby field."

So, why not put the solar panels on the roof instead of wasting all that other land on which food could be grown? That isn't green at all.

"Its external cladding timber is New Zealand Acoya. While this had to be flown over, which naturally isn’t too eco-friendly, Microsoft notes that this particular wood will last for 60 years without the need for any varnish or other sealer."

There are external sealers which are wholly green. You know what the vikings used, and plenty of woodworkers and carpenters still use today? It's called - unsurprisingly - the Viking treatment. I use it myself on exterior wood. A 50/50 mix or raw linseed oil and pine tar - and holy poop does it ever smell good too! It'll make wood last decades, centuries with regular treatment. And it's all organic. Guess they should have done some more research first.

This sort of shit is more greenwashing to me than anything else.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."
1 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older