Out of the Blue

Thanks for the copious feedback on the Flash ad dealie, it has been very interesting reading, and for all those that have expressed such strong encouragement and support for what we are doing, consider yourselves doubly-thanked, as that is what makes all this worthwhile. The latest on the ad, btw, is that it's back in the "shop" to see if it can be made to stop showing repeatedly during the same visit to the site.

More on advertising stuff... in the discussions about all this brouhaha, one of the concepts that's frequently suggested is to get the site "sponsored," which inspired the brainstorm that adding a text link to sponsor a days worth of news as a logical way to get rolling with that. I put a sample of such a link in today's date-bar for the folks at BAWLS... I've managed to wrangle a couple of free cases of the stuff over time, so we can even consider this one "paid" for.

If you are interested in sponsoring a days worth of news, contact me. This is meant for corporate-type sponsors, we appreciate the offers of support from readers, but individuals should resist any temptation to do this for charity (unless you're filthy rich, in which case just go nuts), this should be for those with products or services to offer. Anyway, if you do so, you won't get BAWLS-style pimpage (that has never had anything to do with advertising, just my own affection for their product), but it's pretty obvious from reader feedback on the ads issue that there are enough folks out there that will appreciate the support you would be providing us with to make this or some variation on it a very desirable position.

Link of the Day: Our Lady of Toast, Mother of Toasters. Thanks EvilToast (who else?).
Story of the Day: Child's name offered to highest bidder (CNN). Thanks Jonathan Ruff. I hope this kid ends up named Anusol Schroeder.
Bonus Story: Dog Fends Off Alligator, Protects Elderly Woman in Fort Myers. Thanks theAntiELVIS. And the dog's name is Blue! =]
Follow-up: Bronze Age 'iceman' killed by arrow (CNN). He was fragged! Thanks [MP] Wolverine [MP].
Media of the Day: APOD 2001 July 26 - Madagascar Totality. Thanks brother19.

View : : :
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: contraction traction... or something...
Jul 29, 2001, 09:42
Re: contraction traction... or something... Jul 29, 2001, 09:42
Jul 29, 2001, 09:42

Thanks for pointing that out Bagpuss... after looking around the web for "free" messageboard hosts, I've come to the conclusion that Chatbear is probably the best "free" host out there, but, like all "free" things, you need to make some money, and you have ad banners etc. You also don't have the sort of features I need like the ability to totally change the layout of the board and the site, upload new site content, and all that. The person I host the board for is very particular about this sort of stuff - I spend upwards of 15 hours a week sorting this things out on the site and the board.

I like Chatbear for a "power-user" messageboard. It doesn't mess about with cute graphics, personal messaging systems, and all the stuff that "we" don't need, but Chatbear seems to be designed very much for a Blue's news "threaded comment" system, which isn't what the board I run is for at all - it's a lot of large posts, cute graphics, avatars, and stuff like that. I can't say it's my cup of tea, but hey, who am I to complain - I just run it

I think Bagpuss has a perfect right to advertise his service - after all, you couldn't bitch about it if he hadn't created the boards in the first place

Who the hell is Bagpuss?
Jul 29, 2001, 05:25
anon@63.178
Who the hell is Bagpuss? Jul 29, 2001, 05:25
Jul 29, 2001, 05:25
anon@63.178

Bagpuss is being annoying as hell with her/his constant "advertising" about Chatbear.

Once is enuff, but 3 times is going overboard. I wish Bagpuss shut the hell up.

Sheesh

Jul 28, 2001, 15:50
Re: contraction traction... or something... Jul 28, 2001, 15:50
Jul 28, 2001, 15:50

Hehe, he said he was spending a fortune on messageboard hosting, and now that he wasn't, it wasn't very reliable.

Seemed like a good time to point out my service.

- Bagpuss
http://www.chatbear.com/
Get your own free messageboard today (just like this one!)

Jul 28, 2001, 03:31
Re: contraction traction... or something... Jul 28, 2001, 03:31
Jul 28, 2001, 03:31

Bagpuss

Be quiet! No more advertising from you!

Support it grassroots or let it die.
Jul 27, 2001, 20:30
anon@4.35
Support it grassroots or let it die. Jul 27, 2001, 20:30
Jul 27, 2001, 20:30
anon@4.35

Grassroots = donations. How many unique hits do you get a day, Blue? If 10% of those people each donated $5, could you run with fewer ads? Do some math. Then ask the readers to support you.

But DON'T (and I say this metaphorically, as I know he already has and will continue to) sell out to corporate America. I'm dreading the day when high school athletes will be getting Nike symbols tattoo'd on their forearms under contract.

Wait.....maybe that's already happened.

So, how long before corporations own everybody? Not long, I think. If you can't keep a site clean from corporate interests, let it go away quietly.

The integrity argument is bogus
Jul 27, 2001, 19:19
The integrity argument is bogus Jul 27, 2001, 19:19
Jul 27, 2001, 19:19

What are these guys going to do - start saying how great crappy games are in the OOTB or FOTL sections?

"Daikatana is the greatest game I've ever played!"

That would happen about twice before we'd stop listening. I think Blue, loon, and Frans are a bit smarter than that.

Besides, about the only time you see an endorsement is Saturday mornings when loony goes on about those awful console games he plays - and no one takes that seriously.

It just isn't an argument. That kind of content is rare on the site, it's always plainly personal opinion. And getting slick with it would fool us for about 60 seconds - so it ain't gonna happen.

As the game industry has grown the amount of commercial news on the site has increased - plain evolutionary stuff. Corporate sponsorship and more advertising are the next evolutionary step.

It's like deathmatch - if you stand still you die. Like my previous post said, the main concern is that the amount of amateur news will diminish. That would hurt the site.

-tAE-

Let's talk power
Jul 27, 2001, 19:03
Let's talk power Jul 27, 2001, 19:03
Jul 27, 2001, 19:03

Go for the corporate sponsorship-thing. The developers and publishers have been getting a free ride here for years. Let's face it, there is a BIG difference between Blue's News and a mainstream news site. Blue's is about an industry, and as such is essentially providing advertising (of a sort) in many of its items. And if an item about a pro shop or game isn't advertising, it's providing a mass communication channel from the biz to the consumer.

Free.

Now having said that, we need to look at all the non-pro items the site runs. If sponsorship endangers this coverage, that's bad. Because the flip-side is the site provides that same "advertising" and communication channel for the amateurs. That's a great service provided to the community, and that's half the reason to read the site.

I say let the corporate types subsidize the amateur items this way - that's good. Just as long as the balance is kept.

-tAE-

Re: Ads & all the hullabaloo
Jul 27, 2001, 18:52
Re: Ads & all the hullabaloo Jul 27, 2001, 18:52
Jul 27, 2001, 18:52

People are finding it difficult to get $3 per THOUSAND ad banner views at the moment - never mind one.

- Bagpuss

Re: Ads & all the hullabaloo
Jul 27, 2001, 18:40
anon@166.102
Re: Ads & all the hullabaloo Jul 27, 2001, 18:40
Jul 27, 2001, 18:40
anon@166.102

Blue,

Just out of curiosity, you ARE charging advertisers for the bandwidth their ads take up right? It seems to me it's time the advertisers start paying their fair share of internet use. With the ability to only pay for advertising that succeeds makes them no better than you average e-mail spammer.

While in the formative stages advertising was inexpensive in an effort to prove it a viable sales method so people could sell advertising. Well fella's, advertising works on the internet, it's proven, and it's time to start charging for it. Something in the neighborhood of $3 (US) per 1"x4" banner push is appropriate.

Hear that advertisers? Time to pay up or go waste your time on all those crap game sites no one ever reads, if you want to advertise on THIS premium site, you pay for it, BITCH!

Well, hope it helps, thanks for the great work with the news up till now guys. To think it's been more than a quarter, er half of a decade, er, or whatever your new slogan is

Jul 27, 2001, 16:53
Re: contraction traction... or something... Jul 27, 2001, 16:53
Jul 27, 2001, 16:53

If you want messageboard hosting... http://www.chatbear.com/.

Just like Blue's.

- Bagpuss

Re: Logo Sponsorships
Jul 27, 2001, 16:24
Re: Logo Sponsorships Jul 27, 2001, 16:24
Jul 27, 2001, 16:24

Well, you don't necessarily have to lose his wonderful artistic talents... talk to him about profit sharing (and the creative control issues involved). It is very likely that Walter fully understands the economic situation that Blue's is going through, given that Walter has been doing Web design / advertising for such a long time.

I can't imagine how a publisher or game company wouldn't like to have him do the logo either... (with their approval on the final work) make it a stipulation perhaps (if they want to advertise using that method, Walter gets first option on doing the logo); if no companies are willing to go along with that, keep the system as is (that is, the logo not being sponsored).

And you could even alternate, one week do a sponsor, the next week don't; so that you can still do Quake1 logos (and other such).

Obviously though, if you're getting into corporate approval of the ad - well, that can be a major pain (Walter does an ad, the company doesn't like it, Walter has wasted time, etc.). But if it helps to keep the site running...
This comment was edited on Jul 27, 16:27.

Re: Logo advertising
Jul 27, 2001, 16:13
Re: Logo advertising Jul 27, 2001, 16:13
Jul 27, 2001, 16:13

"Given the massive number of readers visiting Blue's News, one would think there would be many logo options to choose from regarding offers from publishers or game companies that might want to publicize their game via the logo; so quality of logo (and the fun faction involved in the logo) wouldn't have to inherently suffer."

That should be 'fun factor involved'.

One of these days I'll learn to log in everytime I post.

Logo Sponsorships
Jul 27, 2001, 16:06
Logo Sponsorships Jul 27, 2001, 16:06
Jul 27, 2001, 16:06

There is one problem with logo sponsorships, and that's of course that all of the logos to date have been purely from Walter Costinak. He has complete carte blanche over these, and that freedom is not something I'd like to lose.

If there's interest from companies, we might do it. But we'll see.

Also a quick question to Blue (or Loony or Frans)...some of the t-shirt sales profits go to benefit this site, correct?

Yep.

-jason

Re: Weekly sponsoring
Jul 27, 2001, 16:05
indiv

Re: Weekly sponsoring Jul 27, 2001, 16:05
Jul 27, 2001, 16:05
 indiv

I think you should add a little blurb somewhere in the news about the current sponsor's products, as suggested by someone earlier. As it is now, I think it's really in too small of a space to make it enticing to future sponsors. A blurb in the actual news, like above OOTB, will be just like radio endorsements where they interrupt the program briefly to read an advertisement from their sponsor.

Hey, I don't even mind if the current sponsor gets more coverage in the news, if it's a gaming sponsor. Just as long as other news (such as competitors) do not get any less coverage.

Jul 27, 2001, 15:55
anon@65.89
Re: contraction traction... or something... Jul 27, 2001, 15:55
Jul 27, 2001, 15:55
anon@65.89

This whole ad thing has pissed me off to the point where I'm boycotting this website. It's all about the money isn't it. People should now support the little guys that aren't trying to make a buck off the internet. Get a real job and save us the trouble of seeing these obnoxious ads.

You can't run a website the quality of this one without making it your job, which means you have to earn income to pay the bills.
Until you actually have a job and understand what real life is about, STFU .

Jul 27, 2001, 15:28
nin

Re: contraction traction... or something... Jul 27, 2001, 15:28
Jul 27, 2001, 15:28
 nin

>>> It's all about the money isn't it.

Yes, it is...Blue and the crew have bills to pay.

>>>Get a real job and save us the trouble of seeing these obnoxious ads.

If you're on this site, then you can see Blue's job. This site is updated more than a few times a day. In addition, the message boards are moderated. These are not things that manage themselves.

I don't like ads either, but if it means the site going away, I'll more than put up with them. I think #21 has a GREAT idea in logo ads.

Also a quick question to Blue (or Loony or Frans)...some of the t-shirt sales profits go to benefit this site, correct? I haven't placed an order yet, but if that was the case, I'd be a lot more inclined to.

Ad I can't get rid of
Jul 27, 2001, 15:05
anon@24.40
Ad I can't get rid of Jul 27, 2001, 15:05
Jul 27, 2001, 15:05
anon@24.40

I have a big flash box in my upper left corner, just started like a day ago. I know I have flash, but nothing appears in the box, just the little icon in the upper left corner. It blocks out like the first 2 news stories. I could send a screen if you guys need it.

Re: Logo advertising
Jul 27, 2001, 14:59
anon@209.226
Re: Logo advertising Jul 27, 2001, 14:59
Jul 27, 2001, 14:59
anon@209.226

The logo sponsorship idea is a good one and fits in well with the concept of keeping gamers informed of current events in the industry. The obvious respect Blue's News has for the thoughts and opinions of it's readership somewhat restores my faith in humanity. Keep up the good work, we appreciate it.

Ads other than ads
Jul 27, 2001, 14:53
Ads other than ads Jul 27, 2001, 14:53
Jul 27, 2001, 14:53

A tie in with Egghead, EB, beyond.com, Amazon or some other store that sells games. Next to the "post a comment" link on every story, add a link to order or preorder whatever game the story is focused upon.

You could even do this with the pop culture references, make the quote a link to the DVD at a store.

My e. coli cures cancer!
Playing with yeast to help you live longer!
My e. coli cures cancer!

Al teh cranage thast fitt too poste!
Jul 27, 2001, 14:48
Al teh cranage thast fitt too poste! Jul 27, 2001, 14:48
Jul 27, 2001, 14:48

*lol* Just noticed this ;).

Nice one, Blue!

Fully automatic backups with Ocster Backup Pro 3
http://www.ocster.com
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older