Out of the Blue

The Sci-Fi Space Classic Novel Finally Getting Adaptation Thanks To Dune Director (thanks RedEye9). I love Rendezvous with Rama. It revels in Arthur C. Clarke's ability to describe things with a scope and scale almost impossible to picture. I'm afraid that last point makes this a daunting task. But betting against Denis Villeneuve being able to succeed in adapting a sci-fi novel most thought to be impossible to film has already proven to be a fool's errand, so have at it Denis!

Obituary: 'American Idol' Star, Grammy Winner Mandisa Dead at 47.

Rendezvous Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science

Media

Creature Features

Follow-ups

View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Scope
Apr 21, 2024, 13:19
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 21, 2024, 13:19
Apr 21, 2024, 13:19

So looking forward to this, if done well. Hopefully he sticks to the book and resists 'Hollywoodizing' it.

And for the record, the sequel books do not exist in my universe.

BoP: I would love to see someone do Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, but I think a limited series would be better than a movie. No way you can do that book as a single movie, and I don't think it would play well as multiple movies.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Apr 21, 2024, 09:59
Prez

Re: OotB: Scope Apr 21, 2024, 09:59
Apr 21, 2024, 09:59
 Prez

And you are going to tell me, hand on heart, that you've never experienced that kind of stuff before? Or that only applies to maybe a dozen people on a website? Taken to a logical extension, if you did that with everyone who 1) says "kill yourself" 2) says often factually incorrect (or sometimes not necessarily incorrect but from a vastly different perspective than yours), I don't think that you would be able to do literally anything else online. You certainly would be missing out on the true purpose of the internet: watching cat videos and looking at internet memes! That is too frightening to even contemplate.

This is Bob.
Bob enjoys watching rich girls dance provocatively on TikTok.
Be like Bob.

😁😁😁
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 20, 2024, 23:20
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 20, 2024, 23:20
Apr 20, 2024, 23:20

Prez wrote on Apr 20, 2024, 11:54:
Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2024, 22:14:
Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2024, 19:49:
Prez wrote on Apr 19, 2024, 14:43:
At first, I didn't think anything of Cutter's comment. I mean I probably am not breaking new ground by saying that Cutter gets exceedingly angry about a lot of things. But... Fuck these people. I know that they are mere products of our incredibly self-absorbed, "nothing matters but my immediate gratification" society, but FUCK THEM. To have so little compassion for an innocent creature who wandered somewhere, probably looking for Mama... Let's just say I wouldn't have done anything (even if I could have, which is unlikely) to intervene had Mama showed up and did what mama bears do when she feels that you are threatening her children.

You know man. I really wish I just didn't give a shit about anything and could be a selfish asshole like most of the rest of humanity but unfortunately for me I do. My life would be so much easier if I was just another selfish sociopath. Hell, if I didn't have a moral compass I'd be a rich man right now. I would have made a fortune on Wall St. robbing the widows and orphans and creating my own right-wing talk show empire to bilk all the rubes in the sticks. I'm done with fucking humanity, that's why relocating to the boonies.

On that note, have you ever given any introspection to your political views, or selfless one who cares so much about the plight of others?

I always try to stay out of culture war squabbles. Failing that, I at least try to limit it to commenting to people whom I know are worth talking to (highly intelligent and reasonable, rational people). Further, I always wait until the post is off the current day and is less likely to garner lots of eyeballs. I'm not into grandstanding, scoring culture points, or the "gatcha!" moment where I can "pwn" someone.

So now that is out of the way, I really have to ask: why do you seem obsessed with certain posters? It's not hard to notice that it's always someone whom you strongly disagree with politically. I don't think that is particularly groundbreaking to say. It just seems beneath you - a bit petty for someone with clearly high intelligence and extensive experience.

You mean the guy that told me to swallow a shotgun?

I get annoyed by self assured ignorance and hypocrisy. When certain posters endlessly post things that are inaccurate, and that inaccuracy could be solved by clicking a link (or earlier this week, reading what Blue posted), it feels like it wastes all our time.

Apr 20, 2024, 11:54
Prez

Re: OotB: Scope Apr 20, 2024, 11:54
Apr 20, 2024, 11:54
 Prez

Beamer wrote on Apr 19, 2024, 22:14:
At first, I didn't think anything of Cutter's comment. I mean I probably am not breaking new ground by saying that Cutter gets exceedingly angry about a lot of things. But... Fuck these people. I know that they are mere products of our incredibly self-absorbed, "nothing matters but my immediate gratification" society, but FUCK THEM. To have so little compassion for an innocent creature who wandered somewhere, probably looking for Mama... Let's just say I wouldn't have done anything (even if I could have, which is unlikely) to intervene had Mama showed up and did what mama bears do when she feels that you are threatening her children.

You know man. I really wish I just didn't give a shit about anything and could be a selfish asshole like most of the rest of humanity but unfortunately for me I do. My life would be so much easier if I was just another selfish sociopath. Hell, if I didn't have a moral compass I'd be a rich man right now. I would have made a fortune on Wall St. robbing the widows and orphans and creating my own right-wing talk show empire to bilk all the rubes in the sticks. I'm done with fucking humanity, that's why relocating to the boonies.

On that note, have you ever given any introspection to your political views, or selfless one who cares so much about the plight of others?

I always try to stay out of culture war squabbles. Failing that, I at least try to limit it to commenting to people whom I know are worth talking to (highly intelligent and reasonable, rational people). Further, I always wait until the post is off the current day and is less likely to garner lots of eyeballs. I'm not into grandstanding, scoring culture points, or the "gatcha!" moment where I can "pwn" someone.

So now that is out of the way, I really have to ask: why do you seem obsessed with certain posters? It's not hard to notice that it's always someone whom you strongly disagree with politically. I don't think that is particularly groundbreaking to say. It just seems beneath you - a bit petty for someone with clearly high intelligence and extensive experience.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 20, 2024, 06:52
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 20, 2024, 06:52
Apr 20, 2024, 06:52

Asimov has his moments, but Rama is not one of them for me. I mean it held all the typical STOS just of enough alien to be weird but understandable tropes, but buried them in a long winded shaggy dog telling. The ill fated game version was to me, a realistic portrayal of the blandness of the book.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Apr 20, 2024, 03:24
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 20, 2024, 03:24
Apr 20, 2024, 03:24

Ahh man! That makes my day! A video adaptation of Rama! I’m so on board.

The book series doesn’t get goofy. But it goes… I guess you could say Meta by its end. It explains what Rama is and why Rama is. And is a reflection on how the writer feels if humanity is ready to start seeing the big picture in the universe or not.

By the end it’s not off the rails but it comes dangerously close.
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

ALSO: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/

Apr 19, 2024, 22:14
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 22:14
Apr 19, 2024, 22:14

Apr 19, 2024, 21:55
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 21:55
Apr 19, 2024, 21:55

Xil wrote on Apr 19, 2024, 14:31:
Before I die I would love love love to see a good adoption of the hyperion series.... I would even be happy with the first 2 books..... okay the first book then.... pleaaaase
I have difficulty believing it could be done "well". But I thought that about Dune and Villeneuve did better than I thought anyone could do. I don't think you could reasonably expect a movie to follow the book any more closely. So. maybe someone could do it. And as far as I am concerned books 3 & 4 are much better than 1 & 2. I've reread books 3 & 4 several times.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 19, 2024, 21:41
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 21:41
Apr 19, 2024, 21:41

fuckin rednecks. i hope one of them got a tick in a hard to reach place.

Apr 19, 2024, 21:39
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 21:39
Apr 19, 2024, 21:39

Before I die I would love love love to see a good adoption of the hyperion series.... I would even be happy with the first 2 books..... okay the first book then.... pleaaaase

latest news i can find says it's been green lit at WB with bradley cooper as producer as the first project of his new studio. of course that's still a loooong way off from seeing the light of day.

Apr 19, 2024, 19:49
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 19:49
Apr 19, 2024, 19:49

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 19, 2024, 18:48
PHJF

Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 18:48
Apr 19, 2024, 18:48
 PHJF

jdreyer wrote on Apr 19, 2024, 18:22:
No love for L. Ron Hubbard?

Pretty sure nobody here is forgetting about the Battlefield Earth movie... try as we might...
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Apr 19, 2024, 18:22
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 18:22
Apr 19, 2024, 18:22

No love for L. Ron Hubbard?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 19, 2024, 16:34
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 16:34
Apr 19, 2024, 16:34

Bent wrote on Apr 19, 2024, 15:35:
Making a movie out of Stranger in a Strange Land has been tried over and over. It still hasn't happened. I read it when I was young. I wonder what I'd think of it these days.

Starship Troopers did happen (sort of). I wonder what a film version of Friday would be like.

Puppet Masters and Predestination were based on stories of his.

A few old 1950s movies were based on some of his early stories. Project Moon Base, Destination Moon, and Brain Eaters were based on stories that he wrote when he was younger.

I honestly don't think you can make a movie out of Stranger in a Strange Land. It was a piece of its period.

Starship Troopers was awful when connected to the book. Disconnected it was simply OK. Predestination was decent but it was based on a short story so there was a lot of leeway there. None of The Puppet Masters have been sterling examples, either.

The '50s movies were all based on his earlier YA fiction so with simple plots and dialogue, they were easy to transition to movies of the time.

I'd much rather see one of the books from Heinlein's Days of Future Past series be made in to a movie but I highly doubt that would happen. Who would you even cast as Lazarus Long?
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 19, 2024, 15:44
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 15:44
Apr 19, 2024, 15:44

Prez wrote on Apr 19, 2024, 15:09:
Well that is why it would have to be a labor of love. They still do exist. Many artists, including myself when I was one, value being true to a property, an ideal, a standard of excellence, etc. far higher than catering to Joe Everyman in what they create. It's why every musician isn't a wannabe Top 40 pop star. That indeed makes it less likely to come to fruition because even idealistic artists need to eat, but I would rather something not exist than it be made into a watered down, mass-consumption product for mass-public ingestion.

The problem would be getting the C-suite boneheads to sign off and open up the purse strings. If something is not instantly a billion dollar sales guaranteed project, it is unlikely to get funding. Doing it on the cheap with that particular book would be nigh on impossible.

That's why I don't think it will ever happen as a movie.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Apr 19, 2024, 15:35
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 15:35
Apr 19, 2024, 15:35

I prefer Heinlein over Asimov.

Making a movie out of Stranger in a Strange Land has been tried over and over. It still hasn't happened. I read it when I was young. I wonder what I'd think of it these days.

Starship Troopers did happen (sort of). I wonder what a film version of Friday would be like.

Puppet Masters and Predestination were based on stories of his.

A few old 1950s movies were based on some of his early stories. Project Moon Base, Destination Moon, and Brain Eaters were based on stories that he wrote when he was younger.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2024, 15:48.

Apr 19, 2024, 15:09
Prez

Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 15:09
Apr 19, 2024, 15:09
 Prez

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 19, 2024, 14:56:

That's a tough ask. I love the first book the most out of the four but people have very short attention spans and almost no attention to detail. Getting them to sit through six different stories and getting them to tie them all together themselves is like asking for a rainbow colored unicorn that shits gold nuggets.

Well that is why it would have to be a labor of love. They still do exist. Many artists, including myself when I was one, value being true to a property, an ideal, a standard of excellence, etc. far higher than catering to Joe Everyman in what they create. It's why every musician isn't a wannabe Top 40 pop star. That indeed makes it less likely to come to fruition because even idealistic artists need to eat, but I would rather something not exist than it be made into a watered down, mass-consumption product for mass-public ingestion.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 19, 2024, 14:56
Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 14:56
Apr 19, 2024, 14:56

That's a tough ask. I love the first book the most out of the four but people have very short attention spans and almost no attention to detail. Getting them to sit through six different stories and getting them to tie them all together themselves is like asking for a rainbow colored unicorn that shits gold nuggets.

Apr 19, 2024, 14:48
Kxmode

Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 14:48
Apr 19, 2024, 14:48
 Kxmode

Remember: The Ramans do everything in threes.

One of my favorite sci-fi reads of all time. I enjoyed it so much that I took my worn copy and converted a considerable portion of the beginning into a screenplay for fun. I've also made revisions throughout the years.

The results https://readthrough.com/d/I6PR7Ce2YMB2GWhI6O77RXbTyHlcvz

I'm looking forward to seeing what Denis does and if his version (at least the beginning) is similar to mine or different.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 2024, 15:17.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Apr 19, 2024, 14:43
Prez

Re: OotB: Scope Apr 19, 2024, 14:43
Apr 19, 2024, 14:43
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older