Capes Next Month (Revisited)

Daedalic Entertainment announces May 29th is the official release date for Capes, the turn-based superhero tactics game. If this gives you déjà vu, it's not a glitch in the matrix, it's because the news was accidentally posted here Monday before an embargo ended, so apologies to everyone for the screw-up. Preorders are now underway on the Epic Games Store and Steam for Windows and macOS and on the respective stores for PlayStation 4/5 and Switch (it will also launch on Xbox One/Series X|S). Developer Spitfire Interactive boasts veterans of Freedom Force and Teen Titans development, promising to build on the lessons learned from those comic book-inspired games. Here's a new Release Date Reveal Trailer and word:
Twenty years ago, the supervillains won. Since then, they’ve created a dystopian city where developing super powers is a crime. Nobody has managed to slow them down, until now.

Capes is a turn based superhero strategy game where you build a team of heroes and fight to take back the city.

Played across a series of campaign and patrol missions, choose to push forward with the story or take the time to explore the side missions and unlock more heroes, earn skill points and complete challenges, and learn more about your heroes lives.
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited)
Apr 18, 2024, 11:46
Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 18, 2024, 11:46
Apr 18, 2024, 11:46

Prez wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 11:35:
Midnight Suns' worst sin for an XCOM fan is that they worked on Midnight Suns instead of another XCOM. For me to enjoy it as much as I did despite it being a Marvel superhero game (sick to death), had a card system that I didn't much care for, and that we got that this instead of XCOM is testament to me that it was a good game. "Capes" on the other hand has me fangirling like mad. 🙂

Man, I would love a new XCOM game instead of more superhero junk.

But I would want XCOM to move forward in time a little bit to go on the offensive. Humanity has tracked where the Advent are coming from and we have reverse engineered their technology for FTL, sustainment for long voyages, and so on. We land on some barren moon way on the outer fringe of a solar system. We get to build a base to our liking and launch attacks against the Advent, slowly making progress towards either their home planet or core system. Naturally, they would counter-attack so there would be some defensive missions as well.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 18, 2024, 11:35
Prez

Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 18, 2024, 11:35
Apr 18, 2024, 11:35
 Prez

GinRummy wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 11:08:
I tried several times to get into Freedom Force (back in the day), but never managed to get more than a couple hours in before just losing interest. I might look into this. Unlike some others, I did enjoy Midnight Suns.

Midnight Suns' worst sin for an XCOM fan is that they worked on Midnight Suns instead of another XCOM. For me to enjoy it as much as I did despite it being a Marvel superhero game (sick to death), had a card system that I didn't much care for, and that we got that this instead of XCOM is testament to me that it was a good game. "Capes" on the other hand has me fangirling like mad. 🙂
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 18, 2024, 11:08
Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 18, 2024, 11:08
Apr 18, 2024, 11:08

I tried several times to get into Freedom Force (back in the day), but never managed to get more than a couple hours in before just losing interest. I might look into this. Unlike some others, I did enjoy Midnight Suns.

Apr 18, 2024, 09:16
Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 18, 2024, 09:16
Apr 18, 2024, 09:16

I played it for an hour or so and walked away pretty impressed . I was shocked how good it looked for such a small sized file.

Apr 18, 2024, 09:04
Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 18, 2024, 09:04
Apr 18, 2024, 09:04

Played the demo and found it to be crap just like Marvel's Midnight Suns. Such a boring gameplay concept to simply spawn wave after wave of enemies on the same ol' map... *yawn*. It reeks of artificial padding and game time bloat. I'd be more interested in clearing a map and then moving on to the next scenario to keep things fresh and interesting. Ideally, there'd also be a strong narrative thread to tie these scenarios together to keep you engaged and motivated to clear the maps.

From the demo, I did not get the impression that 'Capes' delivers on any of that. It seems to focus solely on the combat and on throwing ever harder (or more numerous) waves of enemies at you which is very boring (for me). Unfortunately, another hard pass.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Apr 18, 2024, 08:58
Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 18, 2024, 08:58
Apr 18, 2024, 08:58

jdreyer wrote on Apr 17, 2024, 21:06:
Blue, did you get blacklisted for violating the embargo?
An NDA prevents further conversation on this topic.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 2024, 12:32.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Apr 18, 2024, 08:43
Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 18, 2024, 08:43
Apr 18, 2024, 08:43

No, I didn't get blacklisted. The rep I dealt with was pretty understanding, especially since it was online for a while before the mistake was noticed.
Prez wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 04:27:
I can sort of see embargos on the game itself - a review needs playtime in advance so it can be ready at release (but I still find them stupid), but an embargo on a game announcement? Is that common? Because it sounds that much more stupid. I mean it really sounds dumb.
It's incredibly common. And yeah, it seems kind of dumb. In this case, there was also the offer of preview keys, so the embargo was clearly more about the previews than the news itself.

I'm not sure review embargoes are a great idea either, but as you say, at least the logic of having them is understandable.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Apr 18, 2024, 04:27
Prez

Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 18, 2024, 04:27
Apr 18, 2024, 04:27
 Prez

I can sort of see embargos on the game itself - a review needs playtime in advance so it can be ready at release (but I still find them stupid), but an embargo on a game announcement? Is that common? Because it sounds that much more stupid. I mean it really sounds dumb.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 18, 2024, 02:37
El Pit

Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 18, 2024, 02:37
Apr 18, 2024, 02:37
 El Pit

Blue was caught redhanded and got blacklisted.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Apr 17, 2024, 22:56
Jivaro

Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 17, 2024, 22:56
Apr 17, 2024, 22:56
 Jivaro

I am soooooo down for this...althought the audio sounds cheesy in that video.

Apr 17, 2024, 22:27
Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 17, 2024, 22:27
Apr 17, 2024, 22:27

Well I hope this is good and does well so we might some more superhero games. This is first supes game like Freedom Force since Freedom Force isn't it?
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 17, 2024, 21:06
Re: Capes Next Month (Revisited) Apr 17, 2024, 21:06
Apr 17, 2024, 21:06

If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older