29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Apr 21, 2024, 07:05
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2024, 07:05
Apr 21, 2024, 07:05

Elon is totally worth every penny, just look what he's managed to do.
Tesla just cut prices by $2,000 in the US and China, slashed the price of its Full Self-Driving to $8,000 from $12,000 and says its referral program is ending.

Tesla shares have fallen 40.8% so far this year.

Pay the man.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Apr 18, 2024, 18:05
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 18:05
Apr 18, 2024, 18:05

I paid for my WinRAR years ago, I'm damn well going to keep using it, just for the lolz.

Apr 18, 2024, 16:12
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 16:12
Apr 18, 2024, 16:12

NKD wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 14:49:
The real answer is Spectate Swamp Desktop Search and its 10,000 lines of Visual Basic code
https://youtu.be/H5dCncMvhMw?si=KvvMs5gCIn64Rzh4
You, you , youyouyou
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Apr 18, 2024, 14:49
NKD
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 14:49
Apr 18, 2024, 14:49
NKD

The real answer is Spectate Swamp Desktop Search and its 10,000 lines of Visual Basic code
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Apr 18, 2024, 14:04
Prez

Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 14:04
Apr 18, 2024, 14:04
 Prez

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 13:11:
Prez wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 12:29:
Don't threaten me with a good time. I'll be happy to go to my room, sprawl out in bed with my dog, and read while "thinking about what I did".

I'm sending lots of money to you that you must dispense to everyone that you don't like as further punishment. I know this is harsh, but a lesson must be learned.

You are going to dispense all of the money like I asked, right? If I somehow find out that you kept it, there will be consequences. I might even be forced to use harsh language! I know you don't want that...

I'll put it in a basket in the driveway with a sign that says "take what you need". Let other people sort their own ethics out. A simple solution that meets the parameters of your requirement.

I'll absolutely disperse that money. I wouldn't keep it as it is not meant for me.

You're such a party pooper sometimes. 😁
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 18, 2024, 13:16
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 13:16
Apr 18, 2024, 13:16

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 12:48:
I take it that you are going through a brutal insomnia period.
You've blathered over a hundred words on something that was so easily solved a child could do it, but instead of typing ""fsearch" you trolled with "it does" and doubled down with google it. This thread would have been done if you had just typed the answer. I mean they're both the same number of button pushes on your keyboard.
Get some sleep.

I actually nailed down almost 8 hours of sleep last night. That's been a long time coming, to be honest.

The problem with your answer is that it is reductive. fsearch might not be the best choice for whatever a person is looking for. It could be search monkey or recoll or even a well written locate script with parameters.

The only way a person is going to know that is...research and finding information. Just like I said. I'm not particularly sorry that you think me not spoon feeding regurgitated information to someone that may not suit their needs is problematic for you.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 18, 2024, 13:11
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 13:11
Apr 18, 2024, 13:11

Prez wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 12:29:
Don't threaten me with a good time. I'll be happy to go to my room, sprawl out in bed with my dog, and read while "thinking about what I did".

I'm sending lots of money to you that you must dispense to everyone that you don't like as further punishment. I know this is harsh, but a lesson must be learned.

You are going to dispense all of the money like I asked, right? If I somehow find out that you kept it, there will be consequences. I might even be forced to use harsh language! I know you don't want that...

I'll put it in a basket in the driveway with a sign that says "take what you need". Let other people sort their own ethics out. A simple solution that meets the parameters of your requirement.

I'll absolutely disperse that money. I wouldn't keep it as it is not meant for me.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Apr 18, 2024, 12:48
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 12:48
Apr 18, 2024, 12:48

I take it that you are going through a brutal insomnia period.
You've blathered over a hundred words on something that was so easily solved a child could do it, but instead of typing ""fsearch" you trolled with "it does" and doubled down with google it. This thread would have been done if you had just typed the answer. I mean they're both the same number of button pushes on your keyboard.
Get some sleep.

Apr 18, 2024, 12:29
Prez

Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 12:29
Apr 18, 2024, 12:29
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 18, 2024, 11:38
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 11:38
Apr 18, 2024, 11:38

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 03:42:
Why though?

Why am I tired?

That's a long answer but I will be as succinct as possible. Imagine your career essentially boils down to the same five questions. The variegation of them is irrelevant. It's always the same five questions. You get so used to answering those five questions that you document the answers to them. Then you publish those answers in multiple places. Now somebody comes along and invents a tool that allows that information to be presented to someone with the barest minimum of effort on their part. Then many other people come along and make that tool even easier to use by linking that tool to the same information they have placed in a wide array of places in different formats and presentations.

But that someone ignores that tool, and those places, puts out no effort, and proceed to ask one, or more, of the same basic five questions. Now imagine there are several thousands of "someones" doing this over and over again. Day after day, week after week, year after year. If you can be chipper and perky and "helpful" (whatever that means at the given moment), more power to you.

I vehemently reject your notion that using a search engine to resolve this was a skills issue. I used DDG and typed "linux search everything". Three words. The answer was the first link provided.

I have a litmus test. Two, actually. One is an elderly lady (I won't give her age as that would be impolite) and a 9 year old boy. Both are non-technical people. If they can figure out how to source information on technical things, anyone can.

/---\

Prez wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 04:40:
No one is required to be helpful. I thought "it does" was a sufficient answer, and even saying that is informative. I do however think that calling people "intellectually lazy" for not doing an internet search or having their own search not yield the correct answer is unfair.

I don't think it is unfair at all. Knowing how to source information is a fundamental skill taught to children. I was using dictionaries and encyclopedias when I was a child to find information. I do not think it is unfair to expect grown adults to be able to source information on their own accord. Not doing so is the equivalent of "I have tried nothing and I am all out of ideas!"

BoP, go to your room and think about what you did.

Apr 18, 2024, 10:33
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 10:33
Apr 18, 2024, 10:33

EQ is the heart and soul of sound mixing (speaking as a former sound engineer). Give me a good, high end, parametric EQ and I can rock the world.

Now concerning PCs, granted, PCs often have poorly implemented EQs, but this app actually works like a professional EQ. I just needed to roll off everything below 400 Hz to make the headset usable, otherwise explosions sounded annoying. A simple high pass filter would have done the job, but my sound card doesn't support it.

I do agree that ALL audio processing effects on a PC should be turned off: boost, normalization, and the greatest evil inflicted on PC users, 'spatial audio'.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Apr 18, 2024, 10:21
Prez

Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 10:21
Apr 18, 2024, 10:21
 Prez

The Flying Penguin wrote on Apr 18, 2024, 10:07:
An interesting app mentioned in that '10 Essential Apps' article is Equalizer APO. It gives you a graphic equalizer for every single audio channel on your sound card.

I bought a new headset, which I love, but has WAY too much bass for gaming. Sadly my onboard audio, despite being a high end board, even with the manufacturer's audio utility, does not have an equalizer for the speaker output, only the digital output. Equalizer APO solved the problem.

An interesting/pathetic personal note: I hate using equalizers because I will only ever make whatever I am listening to sound worse. I had one time, many years ago, taken an interest in being a sound engineer after seeing one mixing tracks in a music studio. That fact made me abandon the idea.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 18, 2024, 10:07
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 10:07
Apr 18, 2024, 10:07

An interesting app mentioned in that '10 Essential Apps' article is Equalizer APO. It gives you a graphic equalizer for every single audio channel on your sound card.

I bought a new headset, which I love, but has WAY too much bass for gaming. Sadly my onboard audio, despite being a high end board, even with the manufacturer's audio utility, does not have an equalizer for the speaker output, only the digital output. Equalizer APO solved the problem.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Apr 18, 2024, 05:10
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 05:10
Apr 18, 2024, 05:10

No one is required to be helpful. I thought "it does" was a sufficient answer, and even saying that is informative. I do however think that calling people "intellectually lazy" for not doing an internet search or having their own search not yield the correct answer is unfair.

You are correct. There is also the C option.

Apr 18, 2024, 04:40
Prez

Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 04:40
Apr 18, 2024, 04:40
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 18, 2024, 03:42
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 18, 2024, 03:42
Apr 18, 2024, 03:42

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 17, 2024, 23:40:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2024, 22:43:
Still unwilling to break character of the "unhelpful "helper" in a linux forum" by recommending someone google it. impressive

Nope. Just tired of intellectually lazy people throwing shit without spending even the barest fraction of a second to find information of their own accord.

Why though? Just because someone didn't bother to do a google check before posting something on a random news post of really very little consequence, and instead relied on their "faulty" memory or knowledge doesn't necessarily make them intellectually lazy. It just makes them misinformed. So you have two choices

A: Be helpful and inform them.
B: End up looking like a condescending snob

Using google to doublecheck everything doesn't make you somehow intellectually smarter than other people. It just makes you inherently better at using Google instead of using your brain. You know what makes you inherently smarter than other people? Going to a library and actually learning about stuff, instead of relying on google cliff notes.

Apr 17, 2024, 23:40
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 17, 2024, 23:40
Apr 17, 2024, 23:40

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2024, 22:43:
Still unwilling to break character of the "unhelpful "helper" in a linux forum" by recommending someone google it. impressive

Nope. Just tired of intellectually lazy people throwing shit without spending even the barest fraction of a second to find information of their own accord.

Apr 17, 2024, 23:13
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 17, 2024, 23:13
Apr 17, 2024, 23:13

https://flathub.org/apps/io.github.cboxdoerfer.FSearch
A graphical file search application

FSearch helps you to find files and folders as easy and fast as possible. Just type a few letters and search results will appear almost instantly.

There are a lot of features which make searching as efficient and powerful as possible. Such as:

Ignore case (e.g. searching for "fsearch" will match "FSearch" as well)
Regular expressions
Wildcard support
Filter support (e.g. only search for audio files)
Exclude certain files and folders
Fast sort by name, path, size, modification time and extension

Note: Due to Flatpak's sandboxing, FSearch can't find every file on your system.
https://github.com/cboxdoerfer/fsearch/wiki/Flatpak-version-limitations

Apr 17, 2024, 22:43
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 17, 2024, 22:43
Apr 17, 2024, 22:43

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 17, 2024, 22:24:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2024, 18:49:
BoP, roleplaying in the role of the unhelpful "helper" in a linux forum that gives linux a bad name.

Eh, Linux will and does stand on its own merits.

As for helping, a simple search on DDG and literally clicking the first link will give a person the information they're looking for.
I'm guessing FSearch is the linux replacement for Voidtools "Everything." https://ubunlog.com/en/fsearch-fast-searches-ubuntu/

Apr 17, 2024, 22:24
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 17, 2024, 22:24
Apr 17, 2024, 22:24

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2024, 18:49:
BoP, roleplaying in the role of the unhelpful "helper" in a linux forum that gives linux a bad name.

Eh, Linux will and does stand on its own merits.

As for helping, a simple search on DDG and literally clicking the first link will give a person the information they're looking for.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older