Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Apr 12, 2024, 06:37
Prez

Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 12, 2024, 06:37
Apr 12, 2024, 06:37
 Prez

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 12, 2024, 00:20:
Imagine still being stuck with Windows for gaming in 2024? And don't say Linux, because that sh!t been crawling along for years. Where is the game streaming? What in hell happened to games-on-demand? Why hasn't the tech gone mainstream? They've got AI generating frames now; we shouldn't have to be tied to a specific device anymore. Jeeze

You're making the pretty obvious error in thinking that people only thinking of themselves make: That everyone's tastes, needs, and priorities will line up neatly with your own. You've been here quite a while so it can't be that you're too young to grasp that this myopic thinking is not very valuable. Also, "Imagine still being stuck with..." is how angsty teenage edgelords speak.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 12, 2024, 01:23
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 12, 2024, 01:23
Apr 12, 2024, 01:23

Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 12, 2024, 00:20:
Imagine still being stuck with Windows for gaming in 2024? And don't say Linux, because that sh!t been crawling along for years. Where is the game streaming? What in hell happened to games-on-demand? Why hasn't the tech gone mainstream? They've got AI generating frames now; we shouldn't have to be tied to a specific device anymore. Jeeze

The hottest gaming platform of 2023, and looking to continue well in to 2024, is Linux via the Steam Deck. But thank you for so beautifully proving the point I made in my second post.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 12, 2024, 00:20
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 12, 2024, 00:20
Apr 12, 2024, 00:20

Apr 11, 2024, 22:07
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 22:07
Apr 11, 2024, 22:07

One thing I want to caution about Virtualbox and other hypervisors:

You will get less performance out of a virtual machine than you will on bare metal since most people don't have their system's hardware and EFI configured to be a hypervisor host first and foremost. Hell, most desktop class boards lack a lot of the features that make that possible on workstation and server boards.

So use a VM to get a feel but realize that you're going to get much better performance on native hardware. Also, you may run in to the occasional odd glitch since you're virtualizing video, audio, and so on. It usually works but just wanted to leave an advisory that sometimes weird shit happens.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Apr 11, 2024, 21:22
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 21:22
Apr 11, 2024, 21:22

Sweet thanks all for the good info on Linux and the cool free sandbox app I've also been wanting to start checking out Linux since I foresee a time where I will want to jump ship from Windows. Appreciate the good info and a solid place to start playing around

Apr 11, 2024, 18:59
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 18:59
Apr 11, 2024, 18:59

You can always just create a little linux install inside a VirtualBox window on your Windows machine.

You don't even have to dedicate a ton of hard drive space. If you want to use linux, you just start up Virtualbox (or else VMWare, I suppose) and it opens a window in your windows desktop. You can install linux in that fairly easily.

If you want, you can even pass files back and forth linux and windows via a shared folder on your desktop.

However, you might need to reboot your computer and tell your bios to allow virtualization. You have to do that on most newer computers now.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Actually, Windows also has its own virtualization capability, but heck with Microsoft.

Apr 11, 2024, 15:31
Prez

Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 15:31
Apr 11, 2024, 15:31
 Prez

I'll try to be more realistic.

That's why I asked you. Despite what people might think, I do know how to use a search engine. But being able to recognize a straight shooter who clearly knows what the fuck they are talking about is way more valuable.

Thanks for the answer. I'm going to at least start learning about it.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 11, 2024, 14:58
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 14:58
Apr 11, 2024, 14:58

Prez wrote on Apr 11, 2024, 14:27:
Really quick:

What are the biggest downsides of switching to Linux? I imagine the number one reason that would pertain to me is that fewer games would run on it. Anything else?

You're going to get a million different answers to that. Windows fanbois are going to screech "MUH GAMEZ" while flinging shit because they just can't help themselves and are under the delusion that no one uses a computer for anything but gaming. Linux fanbois are going to tell you it is digital paradise on earth while conveniently forgetting that there are some paper cuts that happen along the way.

I'll try to be more realistic.

Since you are retired, I do not think you are locked in to proprietary bullshit like Adobe products or Office. Most games that do not require some sort of kernel level anti-cheat system run just fine under Proton on Linux. That's built right in to Steam and listed under "Compatibility" in Settings and is a simple toggle. Most mainstream distros, barring Fedora, support Nvidia graphics cards out of the box. If you have an AMD GPU, you are definitely covered without any additional work since mesa is the graphics library that fully supports AMD and Intel GPUs.

Sound, networking, and all that jazz work right out of the box.

Your browser, whatever that it may be, is probably native to the distro you choose. There are edge cases with browsers you have probably never heard of . Firefox, Chrome, Brave, Edge, Opera, Vivaldi, they're all there.

You won't be looking for software to download. It'll be in whatever software center is provided by the distro and there are tons.

There is going to be a learning curve. Much like there was when you first picked up Windows. Some distros make it much easier than others, which is why I recommended ZorinOS. It's Linux on Easy Mode. Elementary is another beginner friendly distro though it has more of a Mac look and feel to it. Both are based on Ubuntu, which unarguably has the most going for it for new users, so pretty much anything you might want to try will be available to you.

This is all pretty general but without knowing your specific use case and what specific software you use daily, that's the best generalized answer I can give.

I always use this example because it is my litmus test. My mother is very elderly. A couple of years back, I moved her off an Windows 7 install and onto Linux. Since then, I get zero support calls from her, and in that time she has learned how to easily migrate to whatever new distro catches her fancy, install things from both the GUI and the CLI, and do all sorts of stuff that people think is super scary and advanced. Her entire career was spent working with number, not in IT. A computer was just a tool for her. I figure if she can figure it out and keep going with it, anyone can.

Apr 11, 2024, 14:27
Prez

Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 14:27
Apr 11, 2024, 14:27
 Prez

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 11, 2024, 14:23:
Prez wrote on Apr 11, 2024, 13:47:
It is as inevitable as the sun rising that eventually the ads on Windows will become intrusive enough that I want a new OS. I probably should start learning how to use Linux now. Get a head start and all.

You should. Check out ZorinOS.

Really quick:

What are the biggest downsides of switching to Linux? I imagine the number one reason that would pertain to me is that fewer games would run on it. Anything else?
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 11, 2024, 14:23
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 14:23
Apr 11, 2024, 14:23

Prez wrote on Apr 11, 2024, 13:47:
It is as inevitable as the sun rising that eventually the ads on Windows will become intrusive enough that I want a new OS. I probably should start learning how to use Linux now. Get a head start and all.

You should. Check out ZorinOS.

Apr 11, 2024, 14:07
Prez

Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 14:07
Apr 11, 2024, 14:07
 Prez

I don't want to dismiss the concerns over AI as pure "chicken little-ing", but maybe tone down the hyperbole just a smidge? 15 years ago automation was "taking peoples' jobs". Unemployment more or less stayed steady overall throughout however. (EDIT : I should point out that there were spikes in unemployment due to the recession, but that had nothing to do with the reason people had been predicting) People were having fits over self-checkout lines in supermarkets. There were even automated french fry makers installed in select McDonald's. Right before the universe decided that I should retire, FedEx was installing a massive, automated facility in their hub in Memphis. While hiring continued unabated. It was due to go live in 2023 iirc. I haven't heard of any mass layoffs at FedEx.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 11, 2024, 14:01
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 14:01
Apr 11, 2024, 14:01

Jobs and Power. This gold rush to bring in our future AI overlords stinks worse then Oil companies destroying the planet for another barrel of crude.

Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

ALSO: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/

Apr 11, 2024, 13:47
Prez

Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 13:47
Apr 11, 2024, 13:47
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 11, 2024, 13:18
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 13:18
Apr 11, 2024, 13:18

Majmudar says the big GPU-makers’ secrecy has made this part of the project “way more fun for me.” Interestingly, Anthropic’s Claude Opus AI tools have been useful during this GPU designing stage. “I've been proposing my ideas for how each unit must work to Claude, and then somehow it will guide me toward the right implementation approaches which I can then go and confirm with open-source repos,” explained the engineer. However, he observed that “if I search some of the things publicly, nothing shows up which is a testament to how well hidden the implementation details are.”

So he's creating elementary processors by prompting giant CPU and GPU clusters that host LLM or whatever. I suppose that is intersting. And there's more 'knowledge' there than what's found on google? Hrmm

Apr 11, 2024, 12:33
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 12:33
Apr 11, 2024, 12:33

AI may eventually consume a quarter of America's power jobs by 2030.

Apr 11, 2024, 11:54
Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 11, 2024, 11:54
Apr 11, 2024, 11:54

"AI" almost as worthless as cryptocurrency. Almost.

/---\

No ads on my PC.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older