Out of the Blue

Happy National Pet Day! And yes, I don't currently have a pet, and no, this is not ideal, but I have not given up on finding a proper critter pal. One thing that makes this state of affairs easier to tolerate is the incredible array of birds that populate the pond we overlook. This has been by far the best year for bird watching here. In addition to at least two pairs of nesting swans (we've only ever had one), the usual assortment of mallard ducks and Canada geese, and the great blue heron that's king of the pond, we've also had a huge influx of crows. This also holds the promise of possibly befriending one of them, which is apparently a thing. I don't know if I have the patience to actually cultivate any of them, but it would certainly be an amazing accomplishment if I could manage it. In the meantime, it's a load of fun to watch their antics.

Obituary: OJ Simpson Dead at 76 After Cancer Battle.
Obituary:
Pioneering Hawaiian-born sumo champion Akebono dies aged 54.

Pet Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories
Thanks Max.

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Creature Features

View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Pet topic
Apr 11, 2024, 23:31
Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 23:31
Apr 11, 2024, 23:31

I really liked Hardy as Bane. He made that movie for me.

Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce? Members of the League of Shadows!
- Bane
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 11, 2024, 22:57
Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 22:57
Apr 11, 2024, 22:57

After the ridiculous O.J.'s scot-free double murders (no prison) and his too late death, the torch is carried now by Oscar Pistorius (did too little prison time).

Apr 11, 2024, 18:58
Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 18:58
Apr 11, 2024, 18:58

Terrance the octopus
Once a two-spot octopus lays her eggs, she typically won't live much longer.
They are taking care of more than 20 tiny octopus babies, ... few are likely to survive. Sad
"Only one or two of these would be expected to live into adulthood in an aquarium setting under perfect conditions, But that's a lot of octopuses for one family to take care of." Thinking2
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Apr 11, 2024, 17:21
NKD
Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 17:21
Apr 11, 2024, 17:21
NKD

Kxmode wrote on Apr 11, 2024, 15:02:
Heroes reboot? No. Finish the series, Tim! Season 4 ended on an unresolved cliffhanger.

He already did a sequel series that also flopped.
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Apr 11, 2024, 17:00
Jim
Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 17:00
Apr 11, 2024, 17:00
Jim

Eh, season 1 of heroes was good. then the show fell off a cliff.

Apr 11, 2024, 15:09
Prez

Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 15:09
Apr 11, 2024, 15:09
 Prez

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 11, 2024, 14:30:
In honor of National Pet day, I present:

"Lessons in dog math from my dog"

1. If I leave the house for more than 15 minutes, I have been gone forever. She knows, she counted.

2. If ten pets are given to another dog, a hundred pets must be given to my dog. Apparently there are a finite amount of pets in my hand and she must keep the lead in having more pets than any dog that is living, has lived, or will ever live. She knows, she counted.

3. She receives an Oravet after finishing breakfast. If I have fed her dinner, forgotten, and feed her again, another Oravet must be provided because that third cup is obviously breakfast from the future. She knows, she counted.

4. When we wake up in the morning, she gets two hours of free run time in the yard. If inclement weather or other circumstances cut short that two hour window, it doesn't count and she's entitled to an extra two hour free run in addition to the one she gets in the afternoon. She knows, she counted.

5. If I am eating biltong, give her a small piece, and she swallows it without chewing, that doesn't count as a treat. Therefore, she is entitled to another piece. There is no limit on how many consecutive times this can happen. She knows, she counted.

6. When we go hike the five mile trail, if we take the shortcut back because Dad's back or knee is acting up, that hike was just a warm up and doesn't count as the actual hike. Therefore, we must do it again because there may be sniffs she failed to find. She knows, she counted.

7. Seeing a dog on the TV is absolutely grounds for going completely apeshit because that one dog is actually equal to a million dogs that are going to leap right out of that TV and kill everyone within a 100 mile radius. She knows, she counted.

8. Although Dad has only been asleep for four hours, she's been asleep for 8 and that is equivalent to Dad sleeping for a week. So Dad must be woken up or clearly he's in a coma. She knows, she counted.

9. When we are visiting Grandma and Grandpa, saying goodbye to Grandpa less than four, distinct times is the equivalent of not saying goodbye at all. She knows, she counted.

10. She has two rawhide rolls. One she chews on in the morning and one she chews on in the evening. There can be no less than two rawhides or the world is going to come to an end. If there is only one rawhide roll, that actually means there are no rawhide rolls and the package must be fetched and dropped in to Dad's lap to restore balance. She knows, she counted.

Haha bravo!!!

I'll throw in a cat one or two since you have dogs pretty well-covered.

-If a cat thinks that you don't want them to do something they might not do it. If a cat knows that you don't want them to do it, they are doing it. Probably staring right at you as they do. It helps if you narrate them in your own head. They are saying "yeah I did it. Whatcha going to do about it bitch?"

-if you pay attention, the amount that a cat walks in your path, between your legs, etc, is directly proportional to how close to a dangerous obstacle like the top of the stairs or a railing you are. Unintentional? I'm not so sure...

- If a dog rolls over to show you his or her belly, that dog respects you. You are legally required to pet said belly. If a cat rolls onto their back to show you their belly, well... they might be showing you that they respect you. Or they are betting on the fact that you believe that the laws for belly pets are the same for cats and dogs, baiting you into petting their belly so that they can scratch the ever-loving shit out of you.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 11, 2024, 15:02
Kxmode

Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 15:02
Apr 11, 2024, 15:02
 Kxmode

Heroes reboot? No. Finish the series, Tim! Season 4 ended on an unresolved cliffhanger.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Apr 11, 2024, 14:30
Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 14:30
Apr 11, 2024, 14:30

In honor of National Pet day, I present:

"Lessons in dog math from my dog"

1. If I leave the house for more than 15 minutes, I have been gone forever. She knows, she counted.

2. If ten pets are given to another dog, a hundred pets must be given to my dog. Apparently there are a finite amount of pets in my hand and she must keep the lead in having more pets than any dog that is living, has lived, or will ever live. She knows, she counted.

3. She receives an Oravet after finishing breakfast. If I have fed her dinner, forgotten, and feed her again, another Oravet must be provided because that third cup is obviously breakfast from the future. She knows, she counted.

4. When we wake up in the morning, she gets two hours of free run time in the yard. If inclement weather or other circumstances cut short that two hour window, it doesn't count and she's entitled to an extra two hour free run in addition to the one she gets in the afternoon. She knows, she counted.

5. If I am eating biltong, give her a small piece, and she swallows it without chewing, that doesn't count as a treat. Therefore, she is entitled to another piece. There is no limit on how many consecutive times this can happen. She knows, she counted.

6. When we go hike the five mile trail, if we take the shortcut back because Dad's back or knee is acting up, that hike was just a warm up and doesn't count as the actual hike. Therefore, we must do it again because there may be sniffs she failed to find. She knows, she counted.

7. Seeing a dog on the TV is absolutely grounds for going completely apeshit because that one dog is actually equal to a million dogs that are going to leap right out of that TV and kill everyone within a 100 mile radius. She knows, she counted.

8. Although Dad has only been asleep for four hours, she's been asleep for 8 and that is equivalent to Dad sleeping for a week. So Dad must be woken up or clearly he's in a coma. She knows, she counted.

9. When we are visiting Grandma and Grandpa, saying goodbye to Grandpa less than four, distinct times is the equivalent of not saying goodbye at all. She knows, she counted.

10. She has two rawhide rolls. One she chews on in the morning and one she chews on in the evening. There can be no less than two rawhides or the world is going to come to an end. If there is only one rawhide roll, that actually means there are no rawhide rolls and the package must be fetched and dropped in to Dad's lap to restore balance. She knows, she counted.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 11, 2024, 13:35
Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 13:35
Apr 11, 2024, 13:35

Almost an hour of Norm Macdonald telling us how he feels about OJ.
SNL Weekend Update. https://youtu.be/aut3QkIJQOc?si=F76ncBUBbbDoSKAZ
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Apr 11, 2024, 12:55
Prez

Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 12:55
Apr 11, 2024, 12:55
 Prez

Jim wrote on Apr 11, 2024, 12:41:
Well, that is some good news. Finally the end of the "glove did not fit" bullshit

You are wrong. The 'Chewbacca defense', which directly spawned from that, will be remembered for all time. It is up there with Schrodinger's Cat and Occam's Razor.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 11, 2024, 12:41
Jim
Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 12:41
Apr 11, 2024, 12:41
Jim

Well, that is some good news. Finally the end of the "glove did not fit" bullshit

Apr 11, 2024, 12:20
Prez

Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 12:20
Apr 11, 2024, 12:20
 Prez

Trying to remember who OJ Simpson was. I mean, he had such a quiet, simple, and boring existence that I barely remember who he was.

That was sarcasm in case anyone was wondering. I mean everyone knows that he was Nordberg in the 'Naked Gun' films.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 11, 2024, 12:07
Re: OotB: Pet topic Apr 11, 2024, 12:07
Apr 11, 2024, 12:07

Let's cue up all the cartoons of OJ facing Saint Peter at the pearly gates....
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older