Out of the Blue

Even though the groundhogs predicted an early spring, it has only just now finally arrived in these parts, a couple of weeks late (predicting a late spring isn't even an option on Groundhog Day!). This came on so suddenly that when MrsBlue and I ran an errand yesterday, she walked out bundled in a parka. I knew what was coming, but she didn't. Imagine her shock when it was 74°F outside! Surprise!

Overdressed Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

Creature Features

Auction

Follow-up

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Got you covered
Apr 11, 2024, 12:15
Prez

Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 11, 2024, 12:15
Apr 11, 2024, 12:15
 Prez

I think that if I was a kid for the Daniel Craig era, that would be the definitive iteration of Bond for me.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 11, 2024, 11:07
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 11, 2024, 11:07
Apr 11, 2024, 11:07

As I understand it (I never read the novels either) Daniel Craig's portrayal more closely follows the books. Apparently Bond was a dark and troubled soul -- which personally, I thought played very well. Craig is my favorite Bond to date.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 11, 2024, 09:38
Prez

Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 11, 2024, 09:38
Apr 11, 2024, 09:38
 Prez

I'll be honest, I never read the literary Bond novels. I grew up watching Sean Connery and Roger Moore being the smooth, suave, cocksure, undercover womanizers that they were. And I kind of loved it. Because of that, I am having a hard time seeing a woman Bond feeling like Bond. I suppose that there could be a way to make a female equivalent but I don't think that would fly anymore. Hell, the Connery Bond really wouldn't fly anymore. Maybe it's just time to hang up the character as a product of his time and write new characters? I'd personally prefer that to changing the essence of a character to the point that he/she is Bond in name only.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 11, 2024, 04:51
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 11, 2024, 04:51
Apr 11, 2024, 04:51

Enahs wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 17:42:
You get the female bond. You keep the original bond intact. And you by pass for a generation of films the whole is it the same or different guy or a different time line question.

I mean, we have a female bond. She had a whole TV show, and a movie. Phryne Fisher rocks. Easily outdoes half the Bond actors, on a fraction of the budget. And drives a better car to boot!

Apr 11, 2024, 01:05
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 11, 2024, 01:05
Apr 11, 2024, 01:05

jdreyer wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 16:24:
@1Bad: I have been watching Shogun. It's excellent.

- I'm glad they went with Japanese actors with a fair bit of experience acting in Western shows (Sanada, Sawai, & Asano). Typical Japanese acting styles tend to be over expressive and stylized, and would have been inappropriate for a show where hidden motivations and subtlety are so important.

- They did an excellent job with keeping all of the Japanese speakers talking in Japanese with English subtitles. A lesser show might have had everyone speaking English to appease Western audiences.

- The super formal Japanese everyone speaks in is perfect both grammatically and tonally. Imagine olde English sprinkled with lots of doths and thees: you understand it even if nobody speaks like that any longer. And there's some great contrast between the overly polite speech, and the sometimes deceptive or alternate meanings that are implied.

- Sets and costumes are gorgeous and authentic. From the katana to the shoji doors to the $10,000 kimonos everything is comparable to what I've seen at historical sites and museums. In addition, the characters, especially the women, are wearing them perfectly as well. Look at Lady Toda's neckline: each layer of her kimono is both perfectly folded and evenly spaced. Perfect external presentation obscures her internal pain. Contrast with Blackthorne's often sloppy dress, highlighting the cultural differences. Watch the expressions of the maids in the background when he refuses to bathe. It's these little details that really create a believable world.

- While the story is a fictionalized account of true events, it captures the machinations occurring at the time. The show does an excellent job communicating the motivations of the various factions and how they ally or not with each other: Toranaga, the Christian lords, the Portuguese, Ishido, etc. And Yabushige personifies the plight of the lesser lords just trying to find a way to survive the storm: "Time to write another will."

ep. 8 was absolutely bonkers. political evil only a good man could've pulled off. game of thrones is pathetic in comparison.

Apr 10, 2024, 19:13
Enahs

Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 19:13
Apr 10, 2024, 19:13
 Enahs

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 19:05:
Acleacius wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 16:49:

A Female James Bond Was More Likely Before Sean Connery Than After Daniel Craig

It does not take much of a writer to see the obvious. James had an unknown to him daughter with one of the villain related women he slept with in the past. She thus has the instinct and drive and personality to be recruited, but struggles with the emotions of never having a father around but being asked to live upto the name. She is of course named Jane. Then throw in whatever over the top baddy you want. Shocked it wasn't done already.

You get the female bond. You keep the original bond intact. And you by pass for a generation of films the whole is it the same or different guy or a different time line question.

James Bond is a template/persona for the MI6 00 program - specifically 007. Whatever man is recruited to be the next 007 is James Bond. I'm sure one or even several of the other 00's are female with their permanent respective template - think Kate Archer in NOLF. James Bond is and always should be a man. As Fleming said, a blunt instrument, not a super spy. He's a goon underneath it all.

I get it and understand who "James Bond" is. But I am under the opinion that the majority of the people whom will pay in some form to see a James Bond movie has no clue, and it confuses them. And they are the ones that pay for it ultimately. So my method caters to them and the desire for a "female James Bond", again, without having to interfere with the James Bond character; thus after a few movies of "Jane Bond" if it succeeded, you could "reboot" back to "James".
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Apr 10, 2024, 19:05
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 19:05
Apr 10, 2024, 19:05

It does not take much of a writer to see the obvious. James had an unknown to him daughter with one of the villain related women he slept with in the past. She thus has the instinct and drive and personality to be recruited, but struggles with the emotions of never having a father around but being asked to live upto the name. She is of course named Jane. Then throw in whatever over the top baddy you want. Shocked it wasn't done already.

James Bond is a template/persona for the MI6 00 program - specifically 007. Whatever man is recruited to be the next 007 is James Bond. I'm sure one or even several of the other 00's are female with their permanent respective template - think Kate Archer in NOLF. James Bond is and always should be a man. As Fleming said, a blunt instrument, not a super spy. He's a goon underneath it all.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 10, 2024, 19:01
NKD
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 19:01
Apr 10, 2024, 19:01
NKD

If you can't trust a rodent with no concept of the scientific method for weather and climate studies, who CAN you trust?!
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Apr 10, 2024, 17:42
Enahs

Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 17:42
Apr 10, 2024, 17:42
 Enahs

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Apr 10, 2024, 16:54
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 16:54
Apr 10, 2024, 16:54

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 15:58:
Is 74F warm? Just asking...you know...for the rest of the planet.
It is when you are wearing a parka.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 10, 2024, 16:49
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 16:49
Apr 10, 2024, 16:49

Feels weird to be reading the page and logging in after so long, but giving up sharing has been weird.

Christopher Nolan Already Made His Bond Film, 14 Years Ago

And apparently a hard habit to break, derp.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Apr 10, 2024, 16:24
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 16:24
Apr 10, 2024, 16:24

@1Bad: I have been watching Shogun. It's excellent.

- I'm glad they went with Japanese actors with a fair bit of experience acting in Western shows (Sanada, Sawai, & Asano). Typical Japanese acting styles tend to be over expressive and stylized, and would have been inappropriate for a show where hidden motivations and subtlety are so important.

- They did an excellent job with keeping all of the Japanese speakers talking in Japanese with English subtitles. A lesser show might have had everyone speaking English to appease Western audiences.

- The super formal Japanese everyone speaks in is perfect both grammatically and tonally. Imagine olde English sprinkled with lots of doths and thees: you understand it even if nobody speaks like that any longer. And there's some great contrast between the overly polite speech, and the sometimes deceptive or alternate meanings that are implied.

- Sets and costumes are gorgeous and authentic. From the katana to the shoji doors to the $10,000 kimonos everything is comparable to what I've seen at historical sites and museums. In addition, the characters, especially the women, are wearing them perfectly as well. Look at Lady Toda's neckline: each layer of her kimono is both perfectly folded and evenly spaced. Perfect external presentation obscures her internal pain. Contrast with Blackthorne's often sloppy dress, highlighting the cultural differences. Watch the expressions of the maids in the background when he refuses to bathe. It's these little details that really create a believable world.

- While the story is a fictionalized account of true events, it captures the machinations occurring at the time. The show does an excellent job communicating the motivations of the various factions and how they ally or not with each other: Toranaga, the Christian lords, the Portuguese, Ishido, etc. And Yabushige personifies the plight of the lesser lords just trying to find a way to survive the storm: "Time to write another will."
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 10, 2024, 16:00
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 16:00
Apr 10, 2024, 16:00

This close, they always look like a landscape

Apr 10, 2024, 15:58
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 15:58
Apr 10, 2024, 15:58

Is 74F warm? Just asking...you know...for the rest of the planet.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 10, 2024, 15:25
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 15:25
Apr 10, 2024, 15:25

I've been to cat cafes where there's 10-20 cats present. Sometimes up for adoption. That seems fairly manageable in a cafe space. One hundred huskies in a cafe seems insane.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Apr 10, 2024, 15:24
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 10, 2024, 15:24
Apr 10, 2024, 15:24

fujiJuice wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 14:59:
I look forward to learning it again in a few years.
You can search the archives here for more dog stories! There are quite a lot of them.

Apr 10, 2024, 14:59
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 14:59
Apr 10, 2024, 14:59

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 13:40:
I draw the line at man's best friend that's been with us for 10,000 years or possibly more.

I recently rewatched the new Cosmos again and found the evolution of dogs (terrible quality video) section very interesting. Well it is all interesting. I always manage to forget some of the things I learn while watching so it makes repeat viewings like new. Anyway, I was very surprised to learn it has only taken 15-20,000 years to breed wolves into all the dog varieties we have. I would of guessed a lot more.

I look forward to learning it again in a few years.

Apr 10, 2024, 14:46
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 14:46
Apr 10, 2024, 14:46

I went to a Cat Cafe ('Neko Cafe') in Tokyo - you pay a small sum to enter, then buy coffee and snacks and get to play with the resident cats. Very fun.

The trend has also taken off in some parts of the US (eg NYC) - some of the places here have the cats available for adoption through the City.
Kittens!

Apr 10, 2024, 14:32
Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 14:32
Apr 10, 2024, 14:32

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 13:45:
Soylent Green....
Yes, fiction exists.
What’s not fiction is the fact that Koreans, like the majority of the people on Earth, eat some sort of meat.
Imagine telling your grandparents that they can no longer have one of the meals that they were raised on because someone in another country deemed it inappropriate.

https://time.com/6553409/south-korea-passes-dog-meat-trade-ban/
It will work as well as the 18th Amendment did in the U.S.

… estimate that nearly one million dogs are factory farmed and killed for human consumption in South Korea every year. Government statistics show that there are over 1,000 dog farms and about 1,600 restaurants selling dog meat dishes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat_consumption_in_South_Korea

Apr 10, 2024, 14:28
Prez

Re: OotB: Got you covered Apr 10, 2024, 14:28
Apr 10, 2024, 14:28
 Prez

Sorry about the self-important rambling. I wasn't kidding - absolutely nobody's fault here but I went into full blown panic attack mode. I got stoned, did my breathing exercises, and sat outside with my dogs for a bit watching them play. Works every time. I do apologize for the hijack though. I'm going to go lay down and I will be out til tomorrow most likely so you're free of me for a spell. 🙂
- Mahatma Gandhi
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older