Out of the Blue

If you watched the eclipse yesterday hopefully you had your eyewear all worked out and can still read these words. As for me, I am now sure my inattention to this was the way to go based on how mild the effect was here. I was told that we should be surprised how much of the sun would be blocked here even though we weren't in the direct line of totality, but at its peak it only seemed mildly overcast here, and I wouldn't have even guessed it was an eclipse if I'd known already. Footage from places in the path is cool, but it was nothing like that here.

Shadowy Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Images
Thanks A.C.M.

Media

View : : :
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: In the dark
Apr 10, 2024, 19:15
Prez

Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 10, 2024, 19:15
Apr 10, 2024, 19:15
 Prez

I've evolved a bit differently. I tolerate VERY little bullshit but the stuff that gets me angry or otherwise deeply emotional is extremely limited. I don't get upset very much anymore. I will usually simply recognize something is bullshit and simply not participate. No passion, no emotion. There have been things that have been exposed as things I do care deeply about, but hey - everyone get triggered by something. 😁
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 10, 2024, 13:43
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 10, 2024, 13:43
Apr 10, 2024, 13:43

Prez wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 11:51:
...If I sound old and grumpy to anyone, all I have to say is keep living and see if your tolerance for bullshit doesn't drastically drop as time goes on. It might not, but I'm thinking that more likely it will.
I think we are close in age, I turn 62 later this year. I would say my tolerance for bullshit has varied significantly over the years. There is stuff I no longer put up with, but other stuff I just ignore which previously would have gotten my back up. *shrug* And these days for the things which do get my back up, I just do my best to avoid them, which is much easier when you are retired.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 10, 2024, 11:51
Prez

Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 10, 2024, 11:51
Apr 10, 2024, 11:51
 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 10:45:
Prez wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 10:19:
For me that's airwave TV or YouTube with adblock.
Yeah... Since 2008 I've had Netflix for various periods of time five or six times, but it's been a while now. And I am a Prime member, so I have that. Otherwise I'm stuck in the early 2000s with DirecTV and a bunch of movie channels. So, there are a lot of streaming service exclusives I'm missing out on (I'm looking at you Apple and Disney), but even though I have been slightly tempted I haven't succumbed to their overtures, yet.

Netflix and Amazon were the last 2 things I cancelled. Prime about a month ago I guess. I held onto Prime the longest because it comes with the admittedly awesome benefit of free same-day shipping on a lot of products, but I don't make use of it enough and Thursday night football games aren't compelling enough for me to justify giving my money to obscenely rich self-absorbed cretins ruining basically everything. If I sound old and grumpy to anyone, all I have to say is keep living and see if your tolerance for bullshit doesn't drastically drop as time goes on. It might not, but I'm thinking that more likely it will.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 10, 2024, 10:45
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 10, 2024, 10:45
Apr 10, 2024, 10:45

Prez wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 10:19:
Yeah... Since 2008 I've had Netflix for various periods of time five or six times, but it's been a while now. And I am a Prime member, so I have that. Otherwise I'm stuck in the early 2000s with DirecTV and a bunch of movie channels. So, there are a lot of streaming service exclusives I'm missing out on (I'm looking at you Apple and Disney), but even though I have been slightly tempted I haven't succumbed to their overtures, yet.

Apr 10, 2024, 10:19
Prez

Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 10, 2024, 10:19
Apr 10, 2024, 10:19
 Prez

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 10, 2024, 08:57:
I'll keep it in mind should it ever become available on a service I have access to.

- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 10, 2024, 08:57
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 10, 2024, 08:57
Apr 10, 2024, 08:57

1badmf wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 23:25:
for BoP or anyone looking for the next great thing to watch, Shogun on hulu. my god it is just outrageously good; everything that game of thrones wishes it could've been in its filthiest, wettest dreams. the acting, particularly from the women, is phenomenal, layered, subtle, complex. it looks gorgeous, and hiroyuki sanada was a producer and went pretty overboard ensuring authenticity to history. JD i think would enjoy it much because it's full of riveting performances by japanese women.
A surprising description given the trailer on IMDB for it. I'll keep it in mind should it ever become available on a service I have access to.

Apr 10, 2024, 08:31
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 10, 2024, 08:31
Apr 10, 2024, 08:31

I watched the 2017 eclipse from the back deck - we were outside the band for totality but still had 80-85% coverage. It got a little darker, it was pretty cool.
2024 however, my house was dead-center in the totality zone, and it was INCREDIBLE how different the experience was. I have a new appreciation for how bright the sun really is! Until the last little bits were covered, it was still very light outside. Like 98% less light, no problem, but that last 2% really made the difference. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see this, it literally had to happen over my house, because intellectually I know it's a normal, though uncommon, astronomical event. 10/10, would recommend.

Apr 10, 2024, 02:32
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 10, 2024, 02:32
Apr 10, 2024, 02:32

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 20:54:
theglaze wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 16:17:
The women, mostly in their 70s, said that their age and gender made them particularly vulnerable to the effects of heatwaves linked to climate change.
lol

So why is this funny to you?

It's a fact that the elderly suffer in heatwaves far more than any other demographic except children (and they're both tied) and it is also a fact that women generally do not handle heatwaves as well as men. It is also a fact that the climate crisis is causing hotter days earlier in the year. I sent Blue a link in this morning (don't know when or if he will posit it) but last March was the hottest month on record...for the 10th month in a row.

So, again, care to explain how any of that is funny?

He's the type of guy that will say in one thread that there's no physical difference between men and women (what that "lol" implies,) and in another rant about how we'll never have gender equality because men are stronger than women and better suited for higher paying jobs.

Apr 10, 2024, 00:44
Prez

Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 10, 2024, 00:44
Apr 10, 2024, 00:44
 Prez

Didn't take it personally. I was just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt by assuming that he wasn't laughing at people being in distress because of the heat, but rather the contention. He rarely answers anyone so I thought I would chime in with a best guess answer to your question. 🙂
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 9, 2024, 23:49
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 23:49

1badmf wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 23:25:
for BoP or anyone looking for the next great thing to watch, Shogun on hulu. my god it is just outrageously good; everything that game of thrones wishes it could've been in its filthiest, wettest dreams. the acting, particularly from the women, is phenomenal, layered, subtle, complex. it looks gorgeous, and hiroyuki sanada was a producer and went pretty overboard ensuring authenticity to history. JD i think would enjoy it much because it's full of riveting performances by japanese women.

Thanks for the recommendation. It's gotten nothing but positive reviews from the people I know who have watched it.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 23:49

Prez wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 22:35:
If I had to guess I would assume that the 'lol' was specifically that the story mentioned that the heat waves caused by climate change caused the distress. As if a regular heat wave wouldn't. Again, just guessing though.

Maybe but here's the problem with that logic. Due to the climate crisis, many places are getting heatwaves that previously were mild enough to not be heatwaves at all or once in a hundred years events. There's also the problem that many countries not used to the rising temperatures just don't have the infrastructure for dealing with the heat and their construction methods never considered having to shed excess heat. Like Britain, for example. A lot of their homes are designed to keep heat in.

So, in a very real way, the heat from the climate crisis is causing a wave of problems never previously considered. Even though I live in Texas, if you told me twenty years ago that I would need a home that was able to shed twenty degrees of heat, even with air conditioning, for the weather in April, I would have told you that you were out of your goddamn mind. Yet just last week, my thermometer in my screened in, shaded front porch hit 89. IN APRIL!

Oh, yeah, it's supposed to be 88 next Monday.

So, again, I'm not seeing what's funny about it. This crotchety misanthrope shouldn't be the one that has to point out the change in data has real, fundamental import to human life.

To be clear, I am not addressing you specifically, Prez, just commenting on the fact that even if that were the logic, it's stupid, myopic, and flat out wrong.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Apr 9, 2024, 23:25
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 23:25
Apr 9, 2024, 23:25

Apr 9, 2024, 22:35
Prez

Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 22:35
Apr 9, 2024, 22:35
 Prez

If I had to guess I would assume that the 'lol' was specifically that the story mentioned that the heat waves caused by climate change caused the distress. As if a regular heat wave wouldn't. Again, just guessing though.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 9, 2024, 20:54
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 20:54
Apr 9, 2024, 20:54

theglaze wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 16:17:
The women, mostly in their 70s, said that their age and gender made them particularly vulnerable to the effects of heatwaves linked to climate change.
lol

So why is this funny to you?

It's a fact that the elderly suffer in heatwaves far more than any other demographic except children (and they're both tied) and it is also a fact that women generally do not handle heatwaves as well as men. It is also a fact that the climate crisis is causing hotter days earlier in the year. I sent Blue a link in this morning (don't know when or if he will posit it) but last March was the hottest month on record...for the 10th month in a row.

So, again, care to explain how any of that is funny?

Apr 9, 2024, 20:42
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 20:42
Apr 9, 2024, 20:42

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 16:23:
Interesting. Don't know how you missed that, definitely a classic and frequently brought up when classic movies are the topic of conversation.

It's pretty simple. I don't spend a lot of time in front of a TV. I am a reader so most of my free time, what little of it there is, I either read or I am outside doing stuff. Even growing up, most of my time was spent either reading or outside. Now I do love horror and sci-fi so when I watch something, it strongly hews towards that.

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 16:24:
Just be sure to watch the original with Humphrey Bogart first.

I'd rather hit myself in the balls with a sledgehammer than watch anything with Humphrey Bogart in it. I strongly dislike his "acting". I find him to be wooden and uninteresting. I loathed Casablanca and The African Queen, for example.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Apr 9, 2024, 20:02
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 9, 2024, 20:02
Apr 9, 2024, 20:02

Kagemusha and Seven Samurai are classic too, if you guys haven't seen them already.

With the caveat that Kagemusha will test anyone with a flicker of ADHD that was induced by years of heavy internet use. I was not able to sit through the first five minutes when I tried to rewatch it after 20 years!

Apr 9, 2024, 18:23
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 18:23
Apr 9, 2024, 18:23

So the kittens are two weeks old today and they finally came out of their box on their own for the first time! They're all wobbly and falling over but it's cute as hell. Their eyes opened - barely - two days ago and now they're focusing more and looking directly at me. Even in 2 weeks it seems like they've doubled in size. It's amazing how fast they grow. Or maybe it's incredible how long it takes for human babies to develop. It's amazing we've survived as a species given how slow we develop.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 9, 2024, 18:22
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 18:22
Apr 9, 2024, 18:22

Cutter wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 18:09:
Really? Wow. I just always assume that the major classic films have been seen by most people at some time or other. Tell me you've seen 1961's Judgement At Nuremberg with Spencer Tracy.
I know of it and have seen parts of it, but haven't seen all of it. I did enjoy The Reader though.

Apr 9, 2024, 18:09
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 18:09
Apr 9, 2024, 18:09

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 13:38:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 12:57:
Assuming you mean the 1957 one with Henry Fonda?

Yes, that version. Didn't even know the 1997 version existed until I just went and looked it up based on your comment.

Really? Wow. I just always assume that the major classic films have been seen by most people at some time or other. Tell me you've seen 1961's Judgement At Nuremberg with Spencer Tracy.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Apr 9, 2024, 17:57
Re: OotB: In the dark Apr 9, 2024, 17:57
Apr 9, 2024, 17:57

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 9, 2024, 17:42:
The person who won Saturday’s $1.3 billion Powerball jackpot has already came forward to claim the prize.
Either that person is a total idiot or a genius. There's a lot of planning that should be done before you claim something like that.
No planning required. Just collect your fortune then visit Ed Galbraith at Best Quality Vacuum.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older