24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Issues & Activism
Apr 6, 2024, 13:03
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 13:03
Apr 6, 2024, 13:03

yonder wrote on Apr 6, 2024, 07:24:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 5, 2024, 15:11:
I tried to read the article, but blah, blah, blah is all I could make out. There were no examples of what the issue were, just people bitching about perceived issues that are not identified in any way, crunch time, and men.

Literally the second paragraph: "Initially, developers noticed a reference to the number 88, and flagged the issue to their bosses assuming it was an innocent mistake. But in the ensuing weeks, others found more problematic signs and in-universe labels, such as references to a racist meme, the number 18, and the Hagal rune."

They're *TERRIBLE* examples with *NO* context. But they absolutely list examples.

We can immediately rejects the numbers as standing on their own. They can be used in conjuction with overtly racist symbols/references as additional evidence, sure, but you have to have those first.

The 'racist meme' is something that I hear virtually all meme-aware people say.

The examples are less examples and more allegations IMO anyways. If you want to see a real-world example of overt racism you need to look no further, than the 1985 movie "Back to the future"

There is a scene in which Christifer Loyd is wearing an all-white jump suit, obviously to show his love and support for the KKKlan, He tells Michle J Fox "your going to see some serious shit when this baby hits 88 MPH" and what happens when the car hits 88mph? It explodes into a bright hagal rune and the car is surrounded by lighting representing the SS, two fiery tire tracks are all that remain, connected by a spinning license plate forming a perfect letter H! Next two illegal immigrants show up, probably after spending all day doing shoplifting at the mall, and they proceed to do gun violence, and terrorism. when one of them go's to shoot Michel J Fox, the gun jams, and he yells "Shieeeeee" Obviously to acknowledge the Tyrone meme.

Serious shit, someone wearing a klan outfit, 88, the hagal rune, SS imagery, the letter H, minority's yelling SHIIIEEEEE while doing crime, this clearly is a racist movie.

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2024, 13:15.

Apr 6, 2024, 11:01
Prez

Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 11:01
Apr 6, 2024, 11:01
 Prez

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2024, 08:32:
Shteve wrote on Apr 6, 2024, 07:57:
I was a COBOL developer many years ago, and the level 88 variable was how a Boolean was defined. I never realised I was actually a closet Nazi.

This level of black/ white thinking really needs to go. Look at what's happening in Gaza. If you don't agree with Israel killing civilians, you're a Hamas supporter. If you decry the horrendous events carried out by Hamas in October, you're happy for Palestinian civilians to be killed. How about thinking both things are terrible?

Context matters, and given that there's no context here I don't know why anyone is debating one way or the other.

That's where you are incorrect. There is a whole lot of context there. If you boil down a situation to "killing is bad", you're of course not wrong, but you are ignoring the larger context of why, devoid of any personal biases, identifying the 'bad' guy and the 'good' guy is basically impossible at this point.

I just would rather that we didn't rehash this again, for the thousandth time, when it is basically impossible to say anything, from any perspective, that hasn't already been said a thousand times. At some point you have to recognize that you are just spinning your wheels.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 6, 2024, 10:53
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 10:53
Apr 6, 2024, 10:53

F*ckin Nazi cockroaches, they just keep coming out of the woodwork to scrawl their pathetic symbols in public and expect to everyone esle not to puke and find them totally disgusting and toxic.

As if the Esoteric insignia of the Schutzstaffel meant anything else.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Apr 6, 2024, 08:32
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 08:32
Apr 6, 2024, 08:32

Shteve wrote on Apr 6, 2024, 07:57:
I was a COBOL developer many years ago, and the level 88 variable was how a Boolean was defined. I never realised I was actually a closet Nazi.

This level of black/ white thinking really needs to go. Look at what's happening in Gaza. If you don't agree with Israel killing civilians, you're a Hamas supporter. If you decry the horrendous events carried out by Hamas in October, you're happy for Palestinian civilians to be killed. How about thinking both things are terrible?

Context matters, and given that there's no context here I don't know why anyone is debating one way or the other.

Apr 6, 2024, 07:57
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 07:57
Apr 6, 2024, 07:57

Apr 6, 2024, 07:24
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 07:24
Apr 6, 2024, 07:24

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Apr 5, 2024, 15:11:
I tried to read the article, but blah, blah, blah is all I could make out. There were no examples of what the issue were, just people bitching about perceived issues that are not identified in any way, crunch time, and men.

Literally the second paragraph: "Initially, developers noticed a reference to the number 88, and flagged the issue to their bosses assuming it was an innocent mistake. But in the ensuing weeks, others found more problematic signs and in-universe labels, such as references to a racist meme, the number 18, and the Hagal rune."

They're *TERRIBLE* examples with *NO* context. But they absolutely list examples.

We can immediately rejects the numbers as standing on their own. They can be used in conjuction with overtly racist symbols/references as additional evidence, sure, but you have to have those first.

The 'racist meme' is something that I hear virtually all meme-aware people say. Elongating vowels in words is associated with exaggeration, hyperbole, histrionics, and youth. Not specific to any singular race. Unless it's a person in blackface saying it during a minstrel show... I will ABSOLUTELY require a ton of context to be provided before I accept it as specifically a racist meme. And, let's be blunt, so much of American culture is rooted in minority culture. To the point where "cancel culture" is a term that has technically been appropriated by white people, like so much other stuff. If it *IS* anything, it's sincere mimicing, not a racist meme.

K, let's look at the Hagal rune. A six-pointed star is found in MANY cultures and religions. In fact, I'm pretty sure we can ALL think of a very specific six-pointed star that most Nazis would consider undesirable. So we can reject that. Yes, it's the letter H. ... so? The letter H exists. Again, one should require context, not simple existence, to consider this racist.

How many other numbers and letters and symbols are in the game? Thousands. Probably tens of thousands. And four of them are listed as Nazi. This is the BEST that they could do?

... this reminds me of when white nationalists tried to appropriate Pepe the Frog, the "okay" hand gesture, and Moon Man (for the younglings, he was a character from McDonald's commercials back in ancient times). We could reject their usage, or we could empower racists by allowing them to determine what we can and can't say.

There *IS* a line, of course. Using non-nazi swatstikas should absolutely be 100% okay. Just don't, y'know, use the very specific one that Nazis created for themselves. Cuz that's ACTUALLY a Nazi symbol.

And speaking of... it's *INCREDIBLY* easy to create something that inadvertently looks like a swatstika. Four lines at a 90 degree angle with 90 degree angles at the other end? It's natural symmetry.

Architects and designers absolutely should be told "bro... that's a friggin swatstika, maybe don't" but we also shouldn't 100% presume intent when, every now and then, something ends up looking like a swatstika. There's a whole subreddit about accidental swatstikas (that aren't exactly all accidental...)

Same for the salute. Show me a still without context and I'll USUALLY presume it's just someone outstretching their arm in an unfortunate method of stretching. Show me a VIDEO, or show me a dozen similar salutes, and then we can talk.

Context. Always. Matters.

Apr 6, 2024, 07:09
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 07:09
Apr 6, 2024, 07:09

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 5, 2024, 14:11:
I agree that context and nuance are extremely important and they often get readily and swiftly overlooked in the quest to be "the most correct" in the pursuit of the purest virtue signaling possible. Life doesn't work that way. Life, and by extension people, their situations, their societies, their civilization, their beliefs, and so on, is messy, dirty, confusing, mixed, and unclear. Context and nuance help to make clear what we perceive. Or, clearer than it was at first glance. Then we can make better informed choices and decisions.

But the ideological warriors don't want you to grasp that and apply it. They want to scream the loudest about "you're either with us or against us" and expeditiously shun anyone who doesn't immediately make a split second decision "for the cause". Both liberals and conservatives alike play this game.

One of the biggest red flags that I see far too commonly is "such-n-such should never be tolerated, context doesn't matter"
There are a *LOT* of things that I despise, and that I often personally reject across-the-board... but that's *FOR ME.* If someone claims that such-n-such is actually not inappropriate, I'll listen to the reason (providing they don't have a track record of being full of crap of course).

"I disagree with you, and I am curious why your stance is what it is" should *NOT* be interpreted as an aggressive challenge. But far too often it is. Cuz humans love tribalism.

Far too much of this article is full of nebulous generalities and ambiguous accusations that people are trained to knee-jerk respond to. "Toxic" and "bullying" are used to casually that they no longer have meaning. Much like "terrorist" after 9/11. EVERYONE is toxic for EVERY reason. And it diminishes the effect of severe toxicity. When everyone is toxic, no one is toxic.

Also... "multiple people recalled an incident during True Colors development where Square Enix told multiple developers it didn’t want Life Is Strange to be thought of as the “gay game.”"

Um... a bit late for that. LiS definitely already has that reputation. In a very positive way.

It SHOULDN'T. But it DOES. And it's BECAUSE of the allergy of triple-A studios to the very existence of non-hetero characters. Maybe if the corporate suits would stop "we don't want the game to be considered gay" then non-hetero people could be more viewed as, y'know, just people. And then the game WOULDN'T be viewed as "the gay game."

Self-fulfilling prophecy much?

This comment was edited on Apr 6, 2024, 07:26.

Apr 6, 2024, 01:41
Prez

Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 01:41
Apr 6, 2024, 01:41
 Prez

The gravity and awesome responsibility of being the leader of any nation is way beyond the level of what I would ever want. I wouldn't want it if you told me I could have a trillion dollars if I took the job. That's not even considering the stress of playing the political game well enough to even have a chance at being successful. I'd rather have MY nuts in a vice than deal with that nonsense.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 6, 2024, 00:44
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 00:44
Apr 6, 2024, 00:44

Prez wrote on Apr 6, 2024, 00:00:
Hmm... I guessing that you have given this some forethought. 🙂

Some but this is all mostly just stuff I have observed over the course of my life. Truth be told, I do not want power for the sake of power itself. It is not something that interests me. What I want is to unfuck this country so that your average American has a better life and "better" includes more enjoyable. We were not meant to be born, be barely educated, and then work until we are physically, emotionally, or psychologically broken just so we can wither and die. Life is for living. Working is just a means to that end.

I already know what I would do if I won the lottery. I would disappear. Go completely dark and off-grid. Pay in cash for all things, and in small denominations, so as to not leave a trail. Oh, and I would adopt another dog.

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 6, 2024, 00:26
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 00:26
Apr 6, 2024, 00:26

Are we going to have to destroy every keyboard in existence because they contain a key with both an '8' and an asterisk now?

Some of this stuff sounds like they're just grasping at straws to make controversy.

Not excusing any of the other stuff, but some of this 'symbolism' is like, core elements of the language.

Apr 6, 2024, 00:00
Prez

Re: Issues & Activism Apr 6, 2024, 00:00
Apr 6, 2024, 00:00
 Prez

Hmm... I guessing that you have given this some forethought. 🙂

Imagining what you would do if elected president is probably neck and neck with imagining what you would do if you won the lottery for many people. I have never been into the president thing. And I have known what I would do if I won the lottery since I moved in with my sister - I'd give it all to her.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 5, 2024, 23:46
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 5, 2024, 23:46
Apr 5, 2024, 23:46

InsolentCow wrote on Apr 5, 2024, 23:16:
Bop, why can't you run for president?

I'd vote for you.

Number1

While I thank you for the vote of confidence, I'll tell you why. I am grumpy motherfucker who, if elected President, would immediately make myself emperor for life solely so that I could perform the following:

Set an upper age limit for both Houses and the Supreme Court.
Enact hard term limits.
Make it illegal for any corporation, either directly or by proxy, to "donate" (read "bribe") to any person, party, or campaign.
Rescind corporations having the same rights as people.
Make any donations by private persons public information including name and amount.
Legalize all drugs and appropriately tax them (not punishingly so but make them a money generator).
Implement single payer, universal healthcare INCLUDING GODDAMNED MENTAL HEALTHCARE.
Remove the ability for foreign entities to own property within the borders of the US, either directly or by proxy.
Raise the Federal minimum wage to $25/hr with sliding scale for CoL adjustments as needed.
Make all education up to and including a PhD free.
Make it federal law that every individual working gets at least a month off of paid vacation time.
Make paid paternity leave for both men and women a federal requirement for up to a year
Election day would be a paid, required day off for every person over the age of 18
Make polling locations be available 24 hours a day and no more than 10 miles from any population center greater than a thousand people
Repeal Reagan's disastrous tax cuts for the wealthy
Make environmental laws much, much tougher and protective
Make FCC, SEC, and FTC fines be no less than 40% of a corporations gross
CEOs will be held criminally liable for the malfeasance of their corporations including jail time. Assets will be stripped as necessary to recoup the cost of fixing the damage their corporations caused.
End the counterproductive, costly, and useless "War on Drugs"
Make English the national language and provide free language courses so that those whom are not native speakers can get up to speed quickly
Remove "qualified immunity" from all levels of law enforcement and make them subject to the same criminal and civil laws as everyone else.
Require all law enforcement employees to carry malpractice insurance and, in the event of a guilty verdict, require that insurance be paid out within 30 days.
Cut military spending in half and reinvest that money in to infrastructure within the US itself.
Make ISPs common carriers and break the monopolies of Charter, Cox, Comcast, and others. They can sell you access but the lines must be traversable by any company selling bandwidth.
Rewrite the tax code so that taxes are proportional to income with zero loopholes for hiding money offshore. Make over $10 million a year? Enjoy your 90% tax rate. This includes stock options, certificates, or other assets of monetary value.

That's just the short list.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Apr 5, 2024, 23:38
Prez

Re: Issues & Activism Apr 5, 2024, 23:38
Apr 5, 2024, 23:38
 Prez

InsolentCow wrote on Apr 5, 2024, 23:16:

I'd vote for you.

Number1

If I had to guess I would imagine that he would rather have his testicles in a vice for 4 years. Just a guess though...
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 5, 2024, 23:16
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 5, 2024, 23:16
Apr 5, 2024, 23:16

I'd vote for you.

Number1
"For petes sake, have you ever read an article before one of your inane hot takes."
~RedEye9

Apr 5, 2024, 19:13
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 5, 2024, 19:13
Apr 5, 2024, 19:13

I wonder if IGN is using this article as a test for some AI written articles. I mean, I read as much as I could but it way too long and didn't get to any points (I read, first paragraph, skimmed over the middle and last paragraph).

Apr 5, 2024, 17:36
NKD
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 5, 2024, 17:36
Apr 5, 2024, 17:36
NKD

What kind of fucked up version control were they using that it wasn't immediately obvious who added all those things?
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Apr 5, 2024, 15:22
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 5, 2024, 15:22
Apr 5, 2024, 15:22

my brain hurts
Shenmue fans are the worst.

Apr 5, 2024, 15:11
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 5, 2024, 15:11
Apr 5, 2024, 15:11

Apr 5, 2024, 14:21
Prez

Re: Issues & Activism Apr 5, 2024, 14:21
Apr 5, 2024, 14:21
 Prez

Staunch liberals think I'm a mouthbreathing ammosexual for wanting to defend the rights set forth in the Constitution and staunch conservatives think I'm a spineless pussy because I think all people matter, not just white, Christian, heterosexual people.

I think this sentence wins the award for "how to make the most people hate you in the fewest words." Good show! I'll give you a gold star this time because apparently you weren't happy with the dick pic.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 5, 2024, 14:11
Re: Issues & Activism Apr 5, 2024, 14:11
Apr 5, 2024, 14:11

Prez wrote on Apr 5, 2024, 13:28:
This is why I like your style. A far-right conservative will read your post and declare "See?! Even a bleeding-heart liberal admits that no toxicity exists whatsoever. PWNED!" An uncompromising extreme leftist will read it and say "that Trump-loving, bible-thumping, gun-toting whackjob says that you should be allowed all of the dirty jokes, catcalls, and repeated sexual advances you want! SEIZE HIM!"

It helps to pay attention to context and nuance. It really does. When you look at everything black and white, you never have a full grasp on the situation. In other words, you're not correct, no matter how much Sean Hannity or the Verge say that you are.

I do my best to take a pragmatic, balanced approach to things like this which boil down to "he said, she said" situations. I am decidedly not part of the "automatically believe" camp but I am also not part of the "In all the things that never happened, this never happened the most" camp, either. I prefer data and evidence. I also decidedly do not filter my view of the world through politics. No one tribe/side/faction/whatever is either exclusively right or wrong. For example, I am decidedly pro-Second Amendment and I also thoroughly believe in the inalienable human rights of all people, including LGBTQ+ folks, people of color, and the poor. Staunch liberals think I'm a mouthbreathing ammosexual for wanting to defend the rights set forth in the Constitution and staunch conservatives think I'm a spineless pussy because I think all people matter, not just white, Christian, heterosexual people.

I agree that context and nuance are extremely important and they often get readily and swiftly overlooked in the quest to be "the most correct" in the pursuit of the purest virtue signaling possible. Life doesn't work that way. Life, and by extension people, their situations, their societies, their civilization, their beliefs, and so on, is messy, dirty, confusing, mixed, and unclear. Context and nuance help to make clear what we perceive. Or, clearer than it was at first glance. Then we can make better informed choices and decisions.

But the ideological warriors don't want you to grasp that and apply it. They want to scream the loudest about "you're either with us or against us" and expeditiously shun anyone who doesn't immediately make a split second decision "for the cause". Both liberals and conservatives alike play this game.

But that's all part of the grand game of social engineering going on and probably a topic for another time/thread/place.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older