MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video

Piranha Games presents a new GDC Demo Trailer from MechWarrior 5: Clans, the recently announced new standalone solo and co-op MechWarrior game. The new game promises a new approach to the series, and today's clip provides our first brief looks at gameplay. The game still doesn't have a release date, but the clip confirms it's still on track to arrive this year. Here's more:
MechWarrior 5: Clans follows its 2019 sandbox-style companion, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, as a completely new game in the MechWarrior universe, presenting an entirely different style of game design. Its linear-based design features classic Mech combat that has been streamlined for players on PC or console. Harness the power of a Mech of your choosing in single player or up to five-player cooperative play and jump into a lore-filled universe that challenges your skills as it unfolds a gripping and unforgettable story.

The series’ first Clan Invasion story in decades is contained in a tight campaign of narratively driven missions where all components are intricately designed, from dialogue to mission layouts to combat scenarios. MechWarrior 5: Clans’ traditionally designed campaign is entirely self contained, separate from MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries’ utilization of procedural elements to provide an experience that can be played for dozens of hours, and uniquely different from MechWarrior Online’s focus on competitive PvP multiplayer. The result delivers an engrossing story told through a varied series of stages with tense, climatic battles, standing as the first of its kind in narrative structure and cinematic progression in the MechWarrior series.
View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video
Apr 4, 2024, 10:57
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 4, 2024, 10:57
Apr 4, 2024, 10:57

Kxmode wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 23:13:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 20:43:
Still wishing for a Mechwarrior 2 remake...
With Microsoft owning both Activision (MW2) and FASA Interactive (MechWarrior IP), they have the resources and studios to fund a remake. So this game could be a make-or-break for that happening.

It would be amazing to see a remake of MW2 in Unreal Engine 5!
They'd ruin it, they don't know, or don't care to know what made the original games good-which is pretty evident by MW5's "campaign"

Apr 3, 2024, 16:43
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 16:43
Apr 3, 2024, 16:43

Initially Merc 5 was awful in terms of everything but the combat. Pirhana simply didn'y have the cash to make a AAA game that did justice to the IP of old. (MS didnt help by insisting it be a XBox exclusive)

But they made a few decent expansions, saved their pennies and now it looks like we'll get something that (hopefully) will live up to that Mechwarrior reboot teaser that we all drooled over so long ago.

The company should really be applauded for sticking with the IP and giving a niche fanbase something to chew on.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Apr 3, 2024, 14:27
Kxmode

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 14:27
Apr 3, 2024, 14:27
 Kxmode

1badmf wrote on Apr 3, 2024, 04:58:
wish they'd make this a hardcore sim with no HUD and no 3rd person view. kinda makes rendering the cockpit pointless.
I'm sure there will be a toggle between cockpit and third-person views to accommodate different play styles or situations where a player might preferred one over the other at any given moment.
"...and in stonks, Fizzy Squeezy Stocklebocks leaped over Droopy Whoopy Bondfluffs, hitting 300-gigglebits to their 150-snorebucks. Meanwhile, in Whimsyland's market, the pancakes reached parity with pogo sticks."

Apr 3, 2024, 11:02
Prez

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 11:02
Apr 3, 2024, 11:02
 Prez

Task wrote on Apr 3, 2024, 10:41:
It's too bad the Multiplayer MWO is god awful f2p antics trash. Nothing like the free multiplayer of old as an additional bonus to a singleplayer game. Someone should hack in a multiplayer component to this MW5 game. A modern MechWarrior could have been so much more.

I am positive that my son and I played it in co-op a few times, but you're likely speaking of a dedicated FFA or team deathmatch in MW5, which I have no clue or concern about myself.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 3, 2024, 10:41
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 10:41
Apr 3, 2024, 10:41

It's too bad the Multiplayer MWO is god awful f2p antics trash. Nothing like the free multiplayer of old as an additional bonus to a singleplayer game. Someone should hack in a multiplayer component to this MW5 game. A modern MechWarrior could have been so much more.

Apr 3, 2024, 10:19
Prez

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 10:19
Apr 3, 2024, 10:19
 Prez

They would preferably do both I think - make this a great game and maintain a thriving multiplayer community in MWO just so there's something for everyone. I don't find much to like in MWO myself but I'm glad that it's still going and at least one of the veterans thinks it's still the bee's knees. 🙂
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 3, 2024, 09:07
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 09:07
Apr 3, 2024, 09:07

I'd prefer they just focus on MWO, which is still rocking 10+ years after release.

Apr 3, 2024, 05:51
Prez

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 05:51
Apr 3, 2024, 05:51
 Prez

Overon wrote on Apr 3, 2024, 03:24:
Prez wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 13:40:
I'm on board. Generally Battletech purists are not too happy with MW5 from what I have seen, but I love it myself. Modern Warhammer games are much the same for me. I can very much appreciate that purists will be various levels of annoyed (I myself care deeply about franchises like Fallout and Witcher being faithful to established lore) so I guess I am lucky that I am not a diehard purist of these properties.
I look at this trailer and these guys don't look like Smoke Jaguar clanners to me. They just look like regular free birth inner spheroids. I always imagined they would look more exotic like in the Battletech art. Also Piranha Games is not the most talented studio much less a studio that has a track record of making good narrative games. In fact I have wished for over decade for someone else to get the Mechwarrior IP, someone who could do better with it than Piranha games has.

Far be it from me to chide someone else for being deeply knowledgeable about the lore - knowledgeable enough to know that a paint job looks wrong. I personally think that is kind of awesome. But I'm the guy who also complains when a Nazi army's officer uniform isn't exactly right in a movie or game so it would make sense that I don't see anything wrong with that. 😁

Personally I do feel a discernable difference in the quality of some of the missions, but it is in no way a deal breaker. I love big stompy fighting mechs. I have since I was young. I played the tabletop when I was a kid and into my teens but as you probably can tell I wasn't a diehard or anything. I never played Warhammer tabletop because I didn't have a 7 figure income. 🤪
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 3, 2024, 04:58
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 04:58
Apr 3, 2024, 04:58

wish they'd make this a hardcore sim with no HUD and no 3rd person view. kinda makes rendering the cockpit pointless.

Apr 3, 2024, 03:39
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 03:39
Apr 3, 2024, 03:39

Overon wrote on Apr 3, 2024, 03:24:

I look at this trailer and these guys don't look like Smoke Jaguar clanners to me. They just look like regular free birth inner spheroids. I always imagined they would look more exotic like in the Battletech art.

It all depends on what art you were looking at. The uniforms are on point for Clan Smoke Jaguar. Also, if you look carefully they all kind of look like they could be siblings. Which is also pretty lore accurate. They don't have the distinct Smoke Jaguar tattoos, but since they are probably supposed to be novice Mechwarriors, and the old dude is obviously a drill instructor this is also on point. Tattoos are status symbols that have to be earned. In MW2 you also started out as a novice who could barely pilot his mech, and was the laughing stock of his brood brothers. The drill instructor in the first mission had this laconic voiceover with just the right amount of humor and sarcasm. I like this trailer, for many unfamiliar with the lore, it will be their first introduction to clan society and the game shouldn't tell, it should gradually show and unveil.

EDIT:

There is a mission that was demoed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg47PDHA1vI

Apr 3, 2024, 03:27
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 03:27
Apr 3, 2024, 03:27

I'm getting great MW2 vibes here. This is supposed to be a single player focused standalone game, so I am expecting a proper campaign, at the very least. MW5: Mercs was a mish/mash of mostly tiny and terrible procedurally generated maps, on the 3-4 missions which were likewise procedurally generated, terribly boring and uninspired. It got old, really fast. I understand that some of the expansions added some more variety in the missions, but that most of the glaring faults of the original were never really fixed.

If this turns out to be the same way, I'm gonna be really, really sad. MW2 and MW2:Mercs set the bar really high, I hope they at least try and emulate what those games achieved.

Apr 3, 2024, 03:24
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 3, 2024, 03:24
Apr 3, 2024, 03:24

Prez wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 13:40:
I'm on board. Generally Battletech purists are not too happy with MW5 from what I have seen, but I love it myself. Modern Warhammer games are much the same for me. I can very much appreciate that purists will be various levels of annoyed (I myself care deeply about franchises like Fallout and Witcher being faithful to established lore) so I guess I am lucky that I am not a diehard purist of these properties.
I look at this trailer and these guys don't look like Smoke Jaguar clanners to me. They just look like regular free birth inner spheroids. I always imagined they would look more exotic like in the Battletech art. Also Piranha Games is not the most talented studio much less a studio that has a track record of making good narrative games. In fact I have wished for over decade for someone else to get the Mechwarrior IP, someone who could do better with it than Piranha games has.

Apr 2, 2024, 23:13
Kxmode

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 2, 2024, 23:13
Apr 2, 2024, 23:13
 Kxmode

Pr()ZaC wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 20:43:
With Microsoft owning both Activision (MW2) and FASA Interactive (MechWarrior IP), they have the resources and studios to fund a remake. So this game could be a make-or-break for that happening.

It would be amazing to see a remake of MW2 in Unreal Engine 5!
"...and in stonks, Fizzy Squeezy Stocklebocks leaped over Droopy Whoopy Bondfluffs, hitting 300-gigglebits to their 150-snorebucks. Meanwhile, in Whimsyland's market, the pancakes reached parity with pogo sticks."

Apr 2, 2024, 20:43
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 2, 2024, 20:43
Apr 2, 2024, 20:43

Apr 2, 2024, 18:59
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 2, 2024, 18:59
Apr 2, 2024, 18:59

Kxmode wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 18:34:
"Look at the bright side, kid. You get to keep all the money."
I remember that. Great cinematics in those games.

Apr 2, 2024, 18:34
Kxmode

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 2, 2024, 18:34
Apr 2, 2024, 18:34
 Kxmode

"Look at the bright side, kid. You get to keep all the money."

Apr 2, 2024, 15:35
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 2, 2024, 15:35
Apr 2, 2024, 15:35

I finished MW5 about 2 months ago finally after it was on sale. It played like MWO which was good but the AI and spawning was kind of boring. It really had this weird economy about build and loadouts that sort of made no tactics except stacking the mechs with the most armor and fire power to win every match. Once you got Elite pilots for certain mechs it was fun to watch a 9 laser hunchback absolutely melt everything with how they did their pilot skills.

From what I understand, if your pilot had SHIELD at level 13 it would reduce damage, if it had EVASION at level 13 it would deflect AI shots to not hit based on the in-game calculations so it made the game kind of fake easy/fake hard.

They had to do this or your player character who had 10's in everything would just get rolled by the 9 mechs it's going against because you couldn't possibly have enough armor to tank everything. Not sure if there was a better way because you can't exactly change Mechwarrior into armored core combat style.

Like all battletech games.. I'll probably play this one eventually.

Apr 2, 2024, 14:42
Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 2, 2024, 14:42
Apr 2, 2024, 14:42

The result delivers an engrossing story told through a varied series of stages with tense, climatic battles, standing as the first of its kind in narrative structure and cinematic progression in the MechWarrior series.

That's quite the big talk right there . Seeing is believing, babes. I might believe it when the user reviews are here and confirming that the campaign knocks it out of the park. Not a moment sooner.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Apr 2, 2024, 13:40
Prez

Re: MechWarrior 5: Clans Gameplay Video Apr 2, 2024, 13:40
Apr 2, 2024, 13:40
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older