Out of the Blue

I doubt anyone can help me with this, but it's worth a shot. My Discord client crashes a lot. And by a lot, I mean constantly. Dozens of times a day, and sometimes five times in 30 seconds. My repeated troubleshooting efforts have gotten me nowhere. Following tips online I've deleted the app and manually removed its data a dozen times or more, turned off hardware acceleration, and run it as administrator. But it still just quits repeatedly. It does not give an error message and leaves no trace in the Event Viewer. Lots of users seem to have to deal with one-off issues, but I can't seem to find references to anyone else having a chronic problem like this. As I say, I'm not sure what I'm hoping for, but if anyone has a suggestion on how to troubleshoot an app misbehaving this badly, I'd sure appreciate hearing it.

Obituary: Joe Flaherty, 'SCTV' and 'Freaks and Geeks' Star, Dies at 82.

Discordant Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Creature Features

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Discordant
Apr 2, 2024, 16:15
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 16:15
Apr 2, 2024, 16:15

Blue wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 15:05:
For the record, here is my troubleshooting log:

Run as administrator. Crashed.
Delete all data and reinstalled. Crashed.
Turn off hardware acceleration in the app settings. Crashed.
Turn HDR off. Crashed.
Set input and output to my headset. Crashed.
Turned off hardware acceleration in the video playback settings. Crashed.
Installed 64-bit test build. So far so good.
Turned HDR back on. So far so good. (Reinstalling the app reset all its defaults.)

Interesting. I didn't realize Discord was still a 32-bit app. May go ahead and install the 64-bit test build myself to see if it's less of a resource hog.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Re: New tricks for old dogs.
Apr 2, 2024, 15:16
Prez

Re: New tricks for old dogs. Apr 2, 2024, 15:16
Apr 2, 2024, 15:16
 Prez

WannaLogAlready wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 14:29:
Cheat Engine:

-- Games that don't have a pause for you to go to the bathroom, attend a call, rock the baby ?
Edit, Settings, Hotkeys, select "Toggle the speedhack", write any key you want as a hotkey on the window to the right, "Ok".

Ingame, write a 0 in the Speedhack's litlle window, Apply, pause or unpause the game with the hotkey.

-- Tricks without any programming or coding.

How to "fly"/glide/super jump/multijump in games.
How to teleport, even through walls or ceiling in games.

If someone is interested, I'll post it.

Long shot here, but do you happen to have any available that would make the following games easy?

Dark Souls (any of them)
Elden Ring
Lies of P
Sekiro
Nioh

I don't mean easier. I mean extremely easy. I absolutely love the worlds and the atmosphere but I can't play them.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 2, 2024, 15:05
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 15:05
Apr 2, 2024, 15:05

For the record, here is my troubleshooting log:

Run as administrator. Crashed.
Delete all data and reinstalled. Crashed.
Turn off hardware acceleration in the app settings. Crashed.
Turn HDR off. Crashed.
Set input and output to my headset. Crashed.
Turned off hardware acceleration in the video playback settings. Crashed.
Installed 64-bit test build. So far so good.
Turned HDR back on. So far so good. (Reinstalling the app reset all its defaults.)
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Apr 2, 2024, 15:02
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 15:02
Apr 2, 2024, 15:02

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 13:04:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 12:50:
Yasogami99 • 2d ago
My discovery have concluded that 1440p is broken 1080p and lower works great! Being streamed or Streaming 1440p crashes discord. When the streamer full screens a video also crashes it.
Huh, I run it at 1440p and it hasn't crashed once.
You know that means absolutely nothing, right?. Unless you have the identical motherboard, BIOS, windows software version, gpu etc and are running the all the same software as Blue.
So Yasogami99 is Blue?

When troubleshooting, there are no bad ideas, and all I'm doing is reporting what I read on a Reddit thread and I even included the link.
Yup, just relaying my own personal experience. Why did you interpret my innocuous comment as an attack?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 2, 2024, 15:01
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 15:01
Apr 2, 2024, 15:01

Thank you to all who have helped. It's been a while since it's crashed, and I think it's done. Anything could still happen, but it used to crash so frequently, it's hard to imagine it isn't fixed.

It was RedEye9 alerting me to the existence of the test build that did the trick. I'm now running a 64-bit beta and all seems well. I thought I hunted for something like this already, but it was quite easy to find when I looked again.

I'll follow up tomorrow with longer-term results.

Thanks again!
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Apr 2, 2024, 14:36
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 14:36
Apr 2, 2024, 14:36

AMD x3d cpu? try lowering your memory 200 mhz or don't go over 6000 has no significant gains i'm hearing
4 sticks or ram? try two just for giggles

Apr 2, 2024, 14:30
Re: New tricks for old dogs. Apr 2, 2024, 14:30
Apr 2, 2024, 14:30

Apropos of nothing, I have always found Event Viewer to be one of the more worthless logging tools I've come across.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 2, 2024, 14:29
Re: New tricks for old dogs. Apr 2, 2024, 14:29
Apr 2, 2024, 14:29

Cheat Engine:

-- Games that don't have a pause for you to go to the bathroom, attend a call, rock the baby ?
Edit, Settings, Hotkeys, select "Toggle the speedhack", write any key you want as a hotkey on the window to the right, "Ok".

Ingame, write a 0 in the Speedhack's litlle window, Apply, pause or unpause the game with the hotkey.

-- Tricks without any programming or coding.

How to "fly"/glide/super jump/multijump in games.
How to teleport, even through walls or ceiling in games.

If someone is interested, I'll post it.

New tricks for old dogs.
Apr 2, 2024, 14:14
New tricks for old dogs. Apr 2, 2024, 14:14
Apr 2, 2024, 14:14

-- Portable and free Glovepie.exe:

Remaping non remappable games:
Appart from the usual linking of any or all game keys to unused keys or to mouse buttons or a mouse axis.
Also various keys (actions) to one key (make forward, left, right and backwards also always sprint in those directions).

You can "Swallow" keys so the game will read whatever you want instead of the real key:

Example: that game where if you touch escape it closes and goes to desktop ?
Use any key you choose at all, even those symbol ones.
If I want Y opening the inventory, paste this

Y = swallow(Escape)

Now the game gets an Y and opens the inventory instead of closing.

Fixed crazy EDCX keys for movement ?, not anymore !

--- Assign varous touches or text -even large- to a keys:

1 touch of firing jetpack dash (I assigned it to D) while flying in Outcast 2 results in various more or also sustained forward dashes if kept pressed.
Works for firing or dashings in games too :

Type("DD"),Type("DD"),Type("DD") = keyboard.D

-- Etc, so much more.

Apr 2, 2024, 14:02
Prez

Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 14:02
Apr 2, 2024, 14:02
 Prez

I hate using Discord. I'm an easy going guy so if you want me to game with you and you want me to use it, sure I will use it. But I *wish* it would crash on me - I don't like it.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 2, 2024, 13:47
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 13:47
Apr 2, 2024, 13:47

TFabris wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 13:24:
Weird idea, but, do you have any automation tools running which are designed to send or modify keystrokes or other commands to applications? Maybe discord isn't crashing, but rather, being closed down by some other process. You said that no error messages are appearing and there's nothing in the event viewer to indicate a crash. For example, on my systems, I would often have event-driven or timed scripts which would deliberately stop certain processes that I didn't want running because they interfered with other things. Maybe something like that is being overzealous. Maybe something as simple as an antivirus program detecting malicious activity, either as a false alarm or valid detection.

As mentioned elsewhere in the comments already: Windows has some developer-level features which are intended to trap crashes of applications, and write a crash/debug dump file. These fall under the general heading of "post-mortem debugging". If Discord is genuinely crashing, you should be able to configure Windows to trap that and then open the dump file in a debugger. The debugger can be daunting, but you don't need to actually diagnose the bug, just find enough info to point you in the right direction.
Years ago a Microsoft Windows Software Engineer wrote an article about troubleshooting his mother’s computer while he was visiting her over a long weekend. Now normally he would have just saved her data and reinstalled the OS, but his high school friends were razzing him about being a hoity toity “software engineer” and teased him about fixing it the easy way. So he thought he’d show them, after all he did have the know how, access to the latest tools and extensive on the job experience.
He spent most of the three day weekend going through all the logs and debugging files just to find the issues,
that could have been rectified in an afternoon by a format and reinstall.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Apr 2, 2024, 13:24
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 13:24
Apr 2, 2024, 13:24

Weird idea, but, do you have any automation tools running which are designed to send or modify keystrokes or other commands to applications? Maybe discord isn't crashing, but rather, being closed down by some other process. You said that no error messages are appearing and there's nothing in the event viewer to indicate a crash. For example, on my systems, I would often have event-driven or timed scripts which would deliberately stop certain processes that I didn't want running because they interfered with other things. Maybe something like that is being overzealous. Maybe something as simple as an antivirus program detecting malicious activity, either as a false alarm or valid detection.

As mentioned elsewhere in the comments already: Windows has some developer-level features which are intended to trap crashes of applications, and write a crash/debug dump file. These fall under the general heading of "post-mortem debugging". If Discord is genuinely crashing, you should be able to configure Windows to trap that and then open the dump file in a debugger. The debugger can be daunting, but you don't need to actually diagnose the bug, just find enough info to point you in the right direction.

Apr 2, 2024, 13:04
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 13:04
Apr 2, 2024, 13:04

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 12:50:
You know that means absolutely nothing, right?. Unless you have the identical motherboard, BIOS, windows software version, gpu etc and are running the all the same software as Blue.

When troubleshooting, there are no bad ideas, and all I'm doing is reporting what I read on a Reddit thread and I even included the link.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Apr 2, 2024, 12:56
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 12:56
Apr 2, 2024, 12:56

Not a fan of Discord, it's a very needlessly intrusive app, and is very resource hungry, for something I only use for comms. That's why I prefer to use my old Teamspeak server, but on clan nights my friends force me to use Discord.

Still, I've never seen or heard of a problem like yours so must be something specific to your install.

Some ideas to try:

As suggested below, I would use the Revo Uninstaller to completely purge the registry and DLLs after uninstalling Discord, and then reinstall it clean.

Disable the Discord overlay. I've had nothing but problems with it, and is very often the cause of these kind of problems: https://www.howtogeek.com/839887/how-to-turn-off-the-discord-overlay/

Discord tries to manage the Windows audio devices itself, and may be trying to use a device that has a bad driver that you're actually not using. Instead of having the input and output device set to default, try manually setting them to the devices you want to use.

Speaking of drivers, your audio device may have a misbehaving driver that Windows handles just fine, but is giving Discord fits. You might be using a Microsoft generic driver that Windows installed. I rarely bother updating audio drivers nowadays, but it's worth checking to see if the mobo manufacturer has an updated driver.

If you're using a USB headset instead of onboard audio, I've seen Discord sometimes have issues with these. Try using onboard audio with a regular analog headset for a while and see if the problem persists, if not, then you may need to find a better driver for the USB headset. Usually you just plug those things in and Windows installs a generic Microsoft driver that usually works well enough, but there might be a better manufacturer's driver.

Redeye: I too run at 1440p, no issues, and I used Discord Sunday night for a clan game.

Hope this helps.

----

Rest in Peace Joe Flaherty. SCTV was awesome. I should start rewatching those. The one that stands out in my memory was the episode when Russia was jamming their satellite and most of the show was bad Russian TV series like "Tobor's Tractor" which was the Russian version of "My Mother the Car".

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Apr 2, 2024, 12:50
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 12:50
Apr 2, 2024, 12:50

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 2, 2024, 12:44:
Blue, you're not the only one.
A post on Reddit says it's the current version of the app causing the issue and that the PTB (public test beta) fixes it.

Also in same reddit
Yasogami99 • 2d ago
My discovery have concluded that 1440p is broken 1080p and lower works great! Being streamed or Streaming 1440p crashes discord. When the streamer full screens a video also crashes it.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 2, 2024, 12:47
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 12:47

maybe a windows or firewall blocking it?
I love Fortnite..keeps thy little kids out of thy good games...

Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 12:47

It sounds like you've done what I would have so far. Best easy to try idea I have would be to run Windows Sandbox for an extremely clean environment, install it in there, and see if it works. If it does, that means it's *something* in your environment. You might get the equivalent test by running in Windows Safe Mode with Networking.

A little more work, but more geeky if you're in the mood for that (or if it works fine in the above cases) would be to try running it under (or attaching to it with) Windbg. It might catch whatever is dying and give you some sort of a clue.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/use-windows-debugger

Apr 2, 2024, 12:44
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 12:44
Apr 2, 2024, 12:44

Blue, you're not the only one.
A post on Reddit says it's the current version of the app causing the issue and that the PTB (public test beta) fixes it.

Also in same reddit
Yasogami99 • 2d ago
And there's the standard Reddit shotgunning approach of magic voodoo, so you might try turning off HDR.
Let us know what fixes it, Good luk.

Apr 2, 2024, 12:40
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 12:40
Apr 2, 2024, 12:40

Discord is failing on PC, yes? It works fine on your phone? I have a different problem, Discord never crashes, but I often close it manually since my machine will reboot if I have to many applications running simultaneously on Windows. Memtest didn't turn anything up, so I'm going to reinstall Windows and see if that works. Might be a solution for you too?

Before doing that though, did you try booting Windows in safe mode with networking and loading Discord there? I assume some kind of conflict with another program, so loading your applications one by one after Discord might identify the culprit.

Apr 2, 2024, 12:32
Re: OotB: Discordant Apr 2, 2024, 12:32
Apr 2, 2024, 12:32

once you have the discord installed, have you tried uninstalling with a software that removes everything including registry?
try this:
https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-uninstaller-free-download/

worth a shot
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older