Out of the Blue

You are officially old if you remember these PC parts. I did not need a guided tour through my PC parts closet to know I am officially old. I still do have a current optical drive though, albeit a pretty modern USB powered external model.

Old Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Science

Media

Creature Features

View : : :
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Getting better
Apr 1, 2024, 19:22
Ant

Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 19:22
Apr 1, 2024, 19:22
 Ant

Blue wrote on Apr 1, 2024, 19:11:
Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2024, 17:26:
Please see Blue for your prize. I'm sure it will be amazing.
It's a puncher to take notches out of 5-1/4" floppies so you use the backs of single-sided disks.

Also, a copy of the latest version of QEMMM and a registration code for PKZip.
Rad. I loved those! Does it have Blue's names on them too?

Apr 1, 2024, 19:11
Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 19:11
Apr 1, 2024, 19:11

Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2024, 17:26:
It's a puncher to take notches out of 5-1/4" floppies so you use the backs of single-sided disks.

Also, a copy of the latest version of QEMMM and a registration code for PKZip.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Apr 1, 2024, 17:26
Prez

Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 17:26
Apr 1, 2024, 17:26
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 1, 2024, 17:17
Ant

Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 17:17
Apr 1, 2024, 17:17
 Ant

sauron wrote on Apr 1, 2024, 10:37:
Ant wrote on Mar 31, 2024, 16:06:
I'm still using my PS/2 keyboard, mouse, OmniCube KVM from Y2K, VGA, DVI, analog 3.5mm audio, optical drives, etc. I'm sick of upgrading so often too. I'm glad I don't game much as I used to!

http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/toys.html for my past and current toys.

OK, I just read Ant's list and he wins the Old Skool discussion hands down. Well played good sir!
Woohoo!

Apr 1, 2024, 13:16
Prez

Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 13:16
Apr 1, 2024, 13:16
 Prez

Probably. Never mind the doddering old drooling cripple in the corner. 🙂
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 1, 2024, 12:08
Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 12:08
Apr 1, 2024, 12:08

Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2024, 11:35:
Am I crazy or did you get that backwards? I seem to remember putting tape over the notch to make a read-only floppy writeable.

I can't be sure because I am having a bad day and my brain is like scrambled eggs.
It happens to the best of us!
Maybe you're thinking of the cassette tape's notch, which was punched to make it read-only, and you'd apply tape to it to cover it and make it R-W?

Apr 1, 2024, 11:35
Prez

Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 11:35
Apr 1, 2024, 11:35
 Prez

Am I crazy or did you get that backwards? I seem to remember putting tape over the notch to make a read-only floppy writeable.

I can't be sure because I am having a bad day and my brain is like scrambled eggs.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Apr 1, 2024, 11:00
Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 11:00
Apr 1, 2024, 11:00

I remember putting tape over the floppy disk notch to make it read-only. An Xacto knife cut to notch the opposite side of the disk to make it double-sided and save some money was a good trick too. I don't miss the dot-matrix tractor-feed printer though!

Still use a 1Gb dedicated NIC from IBM in my "server" PC as it was demonstrably better at handling high-throughput traffic like large file transfers (backup drives and multi-GB). Those on-board NICs never quite cut it, and the dedicated card was what, $20 at the PC show?

Apr 1, 2024, 10:37
Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 10:37
Apr 1, 2024, 10:37

Ant wrote on Mar 31, 2024, 16:06:
I'm still using my PS/2 keyboard, mouse, OmniCube KVM from Y2K, VGA, DVI, analog 3.5mm audio, optical drives, etc. I'm sick of upgrading so often too. I'm glad I don't game much as I used to!

OK, I just read Ant's list and he wins the Old Skool discussion hands down. Well played good sir!
Kittens!

Apr 1, 2024, 10:35
Re: OotB: Getting better Apr 1, 2024, 10:35
Apr 1, 2024, 10:35

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 31, 2024, 04:25:
FrostyRei wrote on Mar 31, 2024, 01:14:
You can be in your 20s and remember these things…

You can but then you would remember them as being established, staid technologies.

For example, no one in their 20s is going to remember putting tape over the hole in on a floppy disk to make it rewritable. They're not going to remember how the MPC standard revolutionized PCs for the whole world and that an upgrade from a first gen CD-ROM drive to a 6X CD-ROM drive was a huge upgrade. They're not going to have lived through the tinny, whiny and distorted sounds of a PC speaker and then had their mind blown by installing an Ad-Lib, Sound Blaster, or Roland EMU card. They won't know what it was like to be there for the transition from 2D games to 3D games and why you would scrimp and save to drop in a Diamond Monster card with its funny passthrough cable.

They may know of the technologies, but they will have none of the actual experience of why all those things mattered in the moment. It's like the jump from token ring to Ethernet. That was such a massive sea change and you wouldn't have to sell a kidney to IBM if you wanted a LAN at home. Not that Ethernet was inexpensive by any means, it was just a Hell of lot less expensive than token ring was to deploy. They'll never know the joy of dragging that 386 out of the closet, slapping this funny new OS called Linux on it, getting it running, and suddenly you're no longer reliant on sneakernet to move data. Now you could just say "FTP in to my box and grab the data." Or how you could have multiple friends all do it at the same time with a mux box and some clever RJ11 wiring. Plans for which you could find easily with easy step-by-step directions.

I remember the Model T and Model A from an objective understanding of them but I never knew them because they were so far beyond my time. I wasn't there for the transition from horse to automobile and all the teething problems that came with it. Like buying gas in a can down at the hardware store because gas stations didn't exist yet, or learning how to patch a tube tire on the fly on some heavily rutted out road in the middle of BFE, Nebraska.

Pfft, here in Mordor we Undead Necromancers still remember buying Computer and Video Games magazine in the 1980's and typing in the games by hand on our Sharp MZ-80K...

We also still have *rummages in cupboard* an old Voodoo2 PCI AND a Voodoo5 AGP card! They made Independence War look like the Dog's back in the Bad Old Days.

Everything would have been great if it weren't for those meddling hobbits... Cthulhu
Kittens!

Mar 31, 2024, 16:06
Ant

Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 31, 2024, 16:06
Mar 31, 2024, 16:06
 Ant

Mar 31, 2024, 11:15
Prez

Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 31, 2024, 11:15
Mar 31, 2024, 11:15
 Prez

Oh yeah? Well, I sailed on Noah's ark. Man those animals stank after all that time...

EDIT: I just started playing 'Bulwark', the city builder that was just released. The lone dev's rather wholesome answer to reviews and general good attitude convinced me to try it out. It's definitely not your average builder, and I like that. It's got a chill, experimental, and otherworldly feel that I am really enjoying. For what it's worth, one of the first messages you get is that it requires a controller, a controller is recommended , which isn't the greatest first impression, but I have been playing it with m+kb so far with minimal trouble. Granted I have only been playing for about an hour, but so far it has been very pleasant. I understand that there is naval combat but I haven't seen it yet. I'd say twitch gamers and clicks-per-second maestros need not apply, but otherwise if it sounds like it's for you and you aren't put off by the EA aspect you should try it out.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2024, 12:10.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 31, 2024, 10:44
PHJF

Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 31, 2024, 10:44
Mar 31, 2024, 10:44
 PHJF

I mean I still use a sound card, let alone "knowing what a sound card is"...
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Mar 31, 2024, 10:07
Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 31, 2024, 10:07
Mar 31, 2024, 10:07

A_Thein wrote on Mar 31, 2024, 08:26:
Well crap I feel positively ancient. No ISA card, no old actual floppy floppy disk or DAT or even an iomega. Figures though, my first computer was an 8086

oh yeah, old shit. I like the fact they feature a NIC that doesnt even need a terminator. Never mind an ISA interface. I remember times a maths coprocessor was a separate plug in chip upgrade. Isa card for IO as your morherboard had a din keyboard and that was it. Jumpers for everything, bus, multiplier *if you had a dx chip. scsi cards for scanners. serial mice, parallel printers. cga monitors as an upgrade to mono. thermal printers (although i was still using thermal zebra label printers a few years ago to be fair).

Plus there were times that you needed to break resistors on the motherboard to accept another 256kb memory stick on a a mac plus(great machines paired with an se30 for a server).

Winchester drives you only ever formatted once when new or you fooked it forever. I worked in a car assembly plant where the pride and joy was a robotic 8 tape loader, you queued you access and booked time on the "server". The only thing bigger was the backup power room that had hundreds of lead acid cells.

I cut my teeth on 6800 8 bit cpus, these drove air extraction and filtration systems in some complex machinery housing (power starion stuff). They were soon overtaken by PLCs. We prototyped pROM too with uv erasable test CPUs. Old days indeed, times we used to use self overwriting code to fit in memory.

times really have moved on and all my university knowledge is mostly useless, all except the mathematics which hasnt changed My masters level had me writing and drawing on an oscilloscope using a microprocessor, something kids do with small basic these days - back then it was almost blind machine code. Drawing a flower and scrolling letters with 1k storage.

More modern times had you creating and writing your own mouse driver (in borland C) so you could get 638k conventional memory for seamless dos game loading.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mar 31, 2024, 08:26
Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 31, 2024, 08:26
Mar 31, 2024, 08:26

Well crap I feel positively ancient. No ISA card, no old actual floppy floppy disk or DAT or even an iomega. Figures though, my first computer was an 8086
Written laws are like spiders' webs; they will catch, it is true, the weak and poor, but would be torn in pieces by the rich and powerful.

Mar 31, 2024, 06:52
Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 31, 2024, 06:52
Mar 31, 2024, 06:52

WaltSee wrote on Mar 30, 2024, 15:54:
Ethernet hasn't gone by the wayside at all--if anything, it's more a part of a basic system today than it was during the times when you had to buy the cards to plug into ISA slots--for peer-to-peer networking at home...;) All that's changed is that with chip manufacturing nodes going the direction of The Incredible Shrinking Man, the tech is simply integrated into the motherboard today. But the tech isn't going into an "old parts" drawer anytime soon.

Did you actually read it or just look at the pictures? He didn't say ethernet was old, it's the ethernet card that's old as most mobos come with the socket onboard now (like you said, he also says in the article). But the article is generally nonsense anyway. With multi-GPU only ending 5 years ago, remembering that wouldn't make you old. And I've got two 2.5GB ethernet cards boxed up behind me waiting for me to install as my mobo only has 1GB ethernet on it, and there's therefore a slight bottleneck with my 1GB internet connection (it's actually 1.1GB as my ISP allows a 10% increase over spec to allow for contention).

Mar 31, 2024, 04:25
Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 31, 2024, 04:25
Mar 31, 2024, 04:25

FrostyRei wrote on Mar 31, 2024, 01:14:

You can but then you would remember them as being established, staid technologies.

For example, no one in their 20s is going to remember putting tape over the hole in on a floppy disk to make it rewritable. They're not going to remember how the MPC standard revolutionized PCs for the whole world and that an upgrade from a first gen CD-ROM drive to a 6X CD-ROM drive was a huge upgrade. They're not going to have lived through the tinny, whiny and distorted sounds of a PC speaker and then had their mind blown by installing an Ad-Lib, Sound Blaster, or Roland EMU card. They won't know what it was like to be there for the transition from 2D games to 3D games and why you would scrimp and save to drop in a Diamond Monster card with its funny passthrough cable.

They may know of the technologies, but they will have none of the actual experience of why all those things mattered in the moment. It's like the jump from token ring to Ethernet. That was such a massive sea change and you wouldn't have to sell a kidney to IBM if you wanted a LAN at home. Not that Ethernet was inexpensive by any means, it was just a Hell of lot less expensive than token ring was to deploy. They'll never know the joy of dragging that 386 out of the closet, slapping this funny new OS called Linux on it, getting it running, and suddenly you're no longer reliant on sneakernet to move data. Now you could just say "FTP in to my box and grab the data." Or how you could have multiple friends all do it at the same time with a mux box and some clever RJ11 wiring. Plans for which you could find easily with easy step-by-step directions.

I remember the Model T and Model A from an objective understanding of them but I never knew them because they were so far beyond my time. I wasn't there for the transition from horse to automobile and all the teething problems that came with it. Like buying gas in a can down at the hardware store because gas stations didn't exist yet, or learning how to patch a tube tire on the fly on some heavily rutted out road in the middle of BFE, Nebraska.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mar 31, 2024, 01:14
Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 31, 2024, 01:14
Mar 31, 2024, 01:14

Mar 30, 2024, 22:11
Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 30, 2024, 22:11
Mar 30, 2024, 22:11

Prez wrote on Mar 30, 2024, 21:00:
I played my first computer game in computer class in '85 on a cassette drive. We programmed it ourselves as part of our final grade. It was on a Commodore 64 if I remember right.

You had local storage? Lucky!
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mar 30, 2024, 21:00
Prez

Re: OotB: Getting better Mar 30, 2024, 21:00
Mar 30, 2024, 21:00
 Prez

I played my first computer game in computer class in '85 on a cassette drive. We programmed it ourselves as part of our final grade. It was on a Commodore 64 if I remember right.
- Mahatma Gandhi
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older