Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates

CD PROJEKT looks back at 2023 in a discussion of the Polish developer/publisher's latest financial reporting. As always, these are "strong." Word is: "Consolidated sales revenues topped 1 230 million PLN, with a net profit of 481 million PLN. This represents an improvement by 29% and 39% respectively, compared to the reference period. 2023 was the second best year in the entire history of the CD PROJEKT Group. The Group’s net profitability in 2023 was 39%." The latest sales figures for Cyberpunk 2077 and Phantom Liberty reveal the sci-fi-shooter and its expansion have earned a cumulative total of PLN 3 billion since 2020. At the current exchange rate for the Polish zloty this totals to a bit over USD 750 million ($751,767,000 to be precise). Looking ahead, word is over 400 people are working in the next game in The Witcher series while its new Boston studio gears up for Project Orion, the new Cyberpunk game. Here's word:
The Studio’s new Boston-based team, founded by persons responsible for the success of Phantom Liberty, began operating in late 2023. This team will be tasked with development of Project Orion – another large game set in the Cyberpunk universe, currently in the conceptual phase.

The achieved earnings bolster the financial resources of the CD PROJEKT Group. Despite having invested nearly 273 million PLN on development of new projects and paying out nearly 100 million PLN in a dividend, by the end of 2023 the value of the Group’s financial reserves – cash, bank deposits and T-bonds – grew to over 1.3 billion PLN. Secure financial status enables us to focus on development work. Polaris – the first instalment of the new Witcher trilogy – is currently the furthest along in development, with over 400 people involved in the project.
View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates
Mar 30, 2024, 12:18
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 30, 2024, 12:18
Mar 30, 2024, 12:18

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 29, 2024, 11:30:
At launch, CP2077 left a really bad taste in my mouth. Falling through world, characters stuck in T poses, seeing the same six characters in a line walking down the street, cars that would spawn not on top of streets but halfway through them, missions that couldn't be finished because the triggers broke, and so on. I own PL so have all the patches and, for me, it's now an OK game. Not entirely a fan of the revamped skill system but that is personal preference.

Whatever CDPR's next CyberPunk game is, I will be highly cautious of and wait for a while before picking it up based upon my experience with CP2077. Although I own all three Witcher games and their DLCs, I haven't really played them because fantasy isn't my thing. I did get about 60% of the way through the third one before abandoning it due to boredom. So take that as you will.

Identical issues for me too. I needed to wait for the first few patches to get a proper road that didnt have trees upside down through them. It was a known nvidia issue at release I believe. Anyway, after a month is was playable enough and there were basic mods around to make the traffic a little less wooden. Fast forward to phantom liberty and it is a different game to launch. Much better and polished. I still dont regret playing at launch but it was a rocky start.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Re: On Witcher 4 & Project Orion
Mar 30, 2024, 03:42
Re: On Witcher 4 & Project Orion Mar 30, 2024, 03:42
Mar 30, 2024, 03:42

I tried right after the release of Phantom Liberty and two days ago to play this game and the blatant disregard for people who do not use QWERTY keyboard just made me quit the game. For fuck's sake, I got stuck on the *phone* screen after I left the bar in the introduction of the game because the keys I rebinding and the prompts shown on screen were not the same. I will not play this game on a gamepad on computer and I will certainly not dive into .ini files to fix their mess. I'm just done with Cyberpunk

Mar 29, 2024, 19:39
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 19:39
Mar 29, 2024, 19:39

Aside from aesthetic/FX bugs I had 1 or 2 bugged side quests I couldn't get around on my PC. Aside from that ran decent on my AMD/nVidia system. No where near the reports of the console version. Granted they dropped the ball trying to get this thing to run on last gen, that was a dumb, money grabbing move if I ever saw one. However I do put SOME (not all) blame on the consumer for being poorly informed. After you watched that trailer how you thought my 8yr old (at that time) console hardware is going to run that just fine baffles me. If you knew about just the basics of h/w red flags should have been raised with their claims vs what you saw.

All that said, the total rework of systems and bug fixing plus amazing expansion really solidified it as a top 25 CRPG of all time game. The music, writing, acting, characters, art direction are top notch and have been from day 1. That's how they were able to patch it into a good game into a great game. The bones were solid. Why, for example the same will never happen with Starfield. The foundation is just as bad as the house it's under. There's no solid jumping off point unlike what 2077 had. You can't patch a fundamentally bad game into a good game. Maybe mediocre at best.

In the end looking forward to CP2, I have NO doubt they learned their lesson. As they showed with the expansion, as it was in pretty good shape and polished nicely. They, mostly, got the community to forgive them after years of effort on their part. They know they used up their get out of jail card. They can't afford another fuckup, rushed product like that and they know it.

Mar 29, 2024, 13:43
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 13:43
Mar 29, 2024, 13:43

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 29, 2024, 12:39:
What system did you play it on? I played it on PC with a basically top of the line system and I had very little issues the entire game. I could have easily been that 1 in 100 system setup that doesn't have issues though.

PC...but with an AMD GPU.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mar 29, 2024, 13:25
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 13:25
Mar 29, 2024, 13:25

Pepe wrote on Mar 29, 2024, 09:07:
They could do exclusivity for their own games but that might end up killing their studio due to lack of sales, it has not done much good for EGS to try and get marketshare and as a company you sustain reputation damage because of it.

The exact opposite is true. It has done wonders for EGS.

Let's face it and put personal opinions aside (just to get it out of the way real quick: yes, yes, yes, Epic are assholes and wankers and they do not deserve to even exist blah blah blah, happy now? Wink ) ... anyway, GOG has been around for more than a decade longer than EGS.
They have had a 10+ years head start to build a customer base and you can not say that they have not tried. GOG has worked VERY hard to get more customers. They have had promos, freebies, sales, events, they came up with their GOG 2.0 unified client initiative, they had GOG Connect where you could transfer select Steam games to GOG, yada, yada, yada.

But the end result is that in a "normal" year they are making approximately $40 - $45 million of revenue. The "whopping" $58 million in 2023 was an exception because of Phantom Liberty's launch year. Without Phantom Liberty, they would be in their normal range near $40 million.

The EGS, straight out of the gate, hit $680 million of revenue in 2019, of which $251 million were from 3rd party sales. Epic's 3rd party sales alone were between 5x and 6x higher than GOG's total revenue (i.e. including CD Projekt's own products) in a "normal" year. And Epic also started with a fraction of the catalogue. GOG already had thousands of products back then. Epic started with low triple digits at best.

EGS:
- 2019 = $680 million ($251 million 3rd party)
- 2020 = $700+ million ($265 million 3rd party)
- 2021 = $840 million ($300+ million 3rd party)
- 2022 = $820 million ($355 million 3rd party)
- 2023 = $950 million ($310 million 3rd party)

This success is only possible because Epic is doing exclusivity for their own games and because of the 3rd party exclusives. They have obviously dialed down a bit on their exclusives spending recently and as we can see it immediately had the effect of a decrease of 3rd party revenue.
If Epic would put Fortnite (and other 1st party titles) on Steam then their 1st party revenue would probably collapse by 80% over night. That is simply the truth.

Honestly, GOG are kind of stupid to not at least have timed exclusives of their own (CD Projekt's) games on GOG. Yes, it would probably lead to more piracy because of the DRM-free approach and yes it would cause mass heart attacks among the Steam elitists but it would most likely still work wonders for their bottom line because CD Projekt are usually good at marketing and they should be able to mitigate the initial outrage if they tell people some warm fuzzy stories like how it's going to enable them to make better games or some sob story like that...
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Mar 29, 2024, 12:39
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 12:39
Mar 29, 2024, 12:39

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 29, 2024, 11:30:
At launch, CP2077 left a really bad taste in my mouth. Falling through world, characters stuck in T poses, seeing the same six characters in a line walking down the street, cars that would spawn not on top of streets but halfway through them, missions that couldn't be finished because the triggers broke, and so on.

What system did you play it on? I played it on PC with a basically top of the line system and I had very little issues the entire game. I could have easily been that 1 in 100 system setup that doesn't have issues though.

Mar 29, 2024, 11:35
Prez

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 11:35
Mar 29, 2024, 11:35
 Prez

Whatever CDPR's next CyberPunk game is, I will be highly cautious of and wait for a while before picking it up based upon my experience with CP2077.

That's me too. I used to think it possible that a company could resist becoming the megalomaniacal greed machine that many companies become once they get big enough. I won't say that Cyberpunk 2077 singlehandedly changed my mind, but it was definitely the final nail in the coffin.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 29, 2024, 11:30
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 11:30
Mar 29, 2024, 11:30

At launch, CP2077 left a really bad taste in my mouth. Falling through world, characters stuck in T poses, seeing the same six characters in a line walking down the street, cars that would spawn not on top of streets but halfway through them, missions that couldn't be finished because the triggers broke, and so on. I own PL so have all the patches and, for me, it's now an OK game. Not entirely a fan of the revamped skill system but that is personal preference.

Whatever CDPR's next CyberPunk game is, I will be highly cautious of and wait for a while before picking it up based upon my experience with CP2077. Although I own all three Witcher games and their DLCs, I haven't really played them because fantasy isn't my thing. I did get about 60% of the way through the third one before abandoning it due to boredom. So take that as you will.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mar 29, 2024, 11:20
Prez

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 11:20
Mar 29, 2024, 11:20
 Prez

That's a good point. You're completely right. EGS does seemingly do sales better. Really, that is much bigger of a selling point than a developer share, which I do respect, but isn't going to make a difference. The price the users see is the same either way, sales periods notwithstanding.

To be honest, even if EGS achieved feature parity with Steam, and even with freebies every which way, and better sales events than Steam, EGS ostensibly will very likely continue to be a bit player. They have continued on with exclusivity for years; has it moved the needle any? I don't think that it has.

Remember when Facebook ruled the roost? They had obliterated Myspace, became the place for kids to share images and videos... everyone cool was using Facebook. Now FB is used by disillusioned soccer moms who want to share a picture of their kids' school play that no one wants to see. Kids hardly use it anymore. I think TikTok is where it's at now, but I am one of those boring old people, so...

What I am getting at is that the one way I feel that EGS can overtake Steam is if eventually Steam becomes viewed as what all the clueless old PC snobs who played Quake when it first came out use. Anyone cool uses EGS. Honestly, I don't see that happening, as the two situations aren't the same, but a lot of things that I don't see happening end up happening. Unless the way the stores are perceived changes the fight seems to be over though. EGS has carved out a niche in which to exist, but it's not a competitor to Steam.

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2024, 11:57.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 29, 2024, 09:53
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 09:53
Mar 29, 2024, 09:53

Scutty wrote on Mar 29, 2024, 09:16:
This might be off topic but can someone explain why CD Projekt keeps trying to keep the hype train rolling on the stinker of a game that is CP2077? I mean, you don't see negative press on the game and journalists still write about it like it was a second coming. I know it was criticized for a poor launch but even after they "fixed" the game, it was still an unimaginative mess. I read the glowing reviews of the expansion but I just cannot imagine that it made that much of a difference. I don't know but it seems like CD Projekt doubled-down on the promotion instead of building a better game. Oh and if I'm totally off and just don't "get it", let me know that too....I am getting to be ornery in my old age.
No shade....but because your opinion is in the minority and doesn't reflect the majority? At launch the game was full of bugs, and for consoles was a non-starter. I only had one or two game breaking bugs....and quite a few aesthetic or minor bugs.....and though it was still a decent experience. Only after a couple of patches, it largely lived up to its potential and recieved the postive attention it deserved. Just because one rando on the internet thinks it sucks doesn't reflect the opinion of the vast majority. If that were true, everyone would know that Nier Automata was a trash game because that's my personal opinion. LOL

Mar 29, 2024, 09:42
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 09:42
Mar 29, 2024, 09:42

This might be off topic but can someone explain why CD Projekt keeps trying to keep the hype train rolling on the stinker of a game that is CP2077?
I mean, you don't see negative press on the game and journalists still write about it like it was a second coming. I know it was criticized for a poor launch but even after they "fixed" the game, it was still an unimaginative mess.
I read the glowing reviews of the expansion but I just cannot imagine that it made that much of a difference.
I don't know but it seems like CD Projekt doubled-down on the promotion instead of building a better game.
Oh and if I'm totally off and just don't "get it", let me know that too....I am getting to be ornery in my old age.

The buzz around here seems to be quite positive these days. Maybe not TW3 positive, but people that played it recently seem to dig it.

Mar 29, 2024, 09:40
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 09:40
Mar 29, 2024, 09:40

This might be off topic but can someone explain why CD Projekt keeps trying to keep the hype train rolling on the stinker of a game that is CP2077?
I mean, you don't see negative press on the game and journalists still write about it like it was a second coming. I know it was criticized for a poor launch but even after they "fixed" the game, it was still an unimaginative mess.
I read the glowing reviews of the expansion but I just cannot imagine that it made that much of a difference.
I don't know but it seems like CD Projekt doubled-down on the promotion instead of building a better game.
Oh and if I'm totally off and just don't "get it", let me know that too....I am getting to be ornery in my old age.

I think it's a good game despite it's faults, the PC version was decently playable after the first couple patches. I'm currently busy with a new playtrough to check out the DLC and try to get a better ending. The main story might not be the most inspired, but there are some good side missions to partially make up for that.

They did change a lot of the mechanics so still trying to figure that out.

Still not all games are for everyone and if this one is not for you that's fine, there are tons of highly acclaimed games I have no interest in playing (souls ike for example)

Mar 29, 2024, 09:16
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 09:16
Mar 29, 2024, 09:16

Mar 29, 2024, 09:07
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 09:07
Mar 29, 2024, 09:07

RogueSix wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 23:37:
Pepe wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 22:47:
Their "no DRM" is not helping them get the big games, I'm fairly sure that a lot of the games on steam and even EGS sell like crap and the bulk of the revenue comes from all the AAA games, not the reskinned shovelware.

Weeelll, BG3 was plenty big I would say Wink , as were some of the other titles that were quoted in their report (see post below).

And while 10% of PL sales is not that much, it also depends on the platform, this % can be bigger if you only take into account PC versions, GOG does not sell PS and Xbox versions of games AFAIK.

Good point, bro. Let's do the PC-only math. According to the report, 66% of PL sold on PC so we got 3.33333333... million copies sold on PC. GOG got 460K copies of the action. That makes it ~13.8% of sales on GOG and 86.2% on other PC platforms (almost exclusively Steam probably). Still pretty close to 10%/90% Wink .

There are not that many new AAA games there, I respect what GOG's original mission was and also it's more current goals, but that does not change the fact that they wont get games like COD, ass. creed, or anything that uses DRM.

They could do exclusivity for their own games but that might end up killing their studio due to lack of sales, it has not done much good for EGS to try and get marketshare and as a company you sustain reputation damage because of it.

Mar 29, 2024, 06:06
El Pit

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 06:06
Mar 29, 2024, 06:06
 El Pit

A native GOG app for the Steam deck could help GOG. But I understand that Steam does not want to support a competitior, of course. I can run GOG games on the Steam deck but unfortunately without the native support like automatically using customized controls for each non-Steam game.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Mar 29, 2024, 01:06
Jim
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 29, 2024, 01:06
Mar 29, 2024, 01:06
Jim

Prez wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 23:36:
So really, the only actual competitive advantage that EGS offers over everyone else is the developer share. Which is no small thing if you happen to care about such a thing, but that isn't a major selling point for most people.
EGS gives a 5% credit back per sale, doubled during sales events, additionally those events can have hefty discounts on new titles. The sales felt like the steam sales used to feel

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 2024, 02:00.

Mar 28, 2024, 23:37
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 28, 2024, 23:37
Mar 28, 2024, 23:37

Pepe wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 22:47:
Their "no DRM" is not helping them get the big games, I'm fairly sure that a lot of the games on steam and even EGS sell like crap and the bulk of the revenue comes from all the AAA games, not the reskinned shovelware.

Weeelll, BG3 was plenty big I would say Wink , as were some of the other titles that were quoted in their report (see post below).

And while 10% of PL sales is not that much, it also depends on the platform, this % can be bigger if you only take into account PC versions, GOG does not sell PS and Xbox versions of games AFAIK.

Good point, bro. Let's do the PC-only math. According to the report, 66% of PL sold on PC so we got 3.33333333... million copies sold on PC. GOG got 460K copies of the action. That makes it ~13.8% of sales on GOG and 86.2% on other PC platforms (almost exclusively Steam probably). Still pretty close to 10%/90% Wink .

Mar 28, 2024, 23:36
Prez

Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 28, 2024, 23:36
Mar 28, 2024, 23:36
 Prez

I'm leaning towards thinking that the next series of games might have Ciri as the protagonist. I'd really like that myself.

Oh, and to add a side note: I don't care if GOG only has 1% or less than other platforms. They give 100% DRM free games and that makes them vastly superior to Epic Games in my book. On that point in particular they are even superior to Steam. So really, the only actual competitive advantage that EGS offers over everyone else is the developer share. Which is no small thing if you happen to care about such a thing, but that isn't a major selling point for most people. The bottom line is that Steam really doesn't have any competition at all in the eyes of the market at large. I wish they did but that really seems to be the long and short of it.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2024, 23:46.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 28, 2024, 22:47
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 28, 2024, 22:47
Mar 28, 2024, 22:47

RogueSix wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 21:37:
RogueSix wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 20:44:
This means that probably even more than 90% of each Phantom Liberty copy was sold outside of GOG in spite of CD Projekt advertising their in-house platform rather aggressively at every turn (I believe I have more freebies on GOG than on Epic by now).

^ Quoting myself to add this from the CD Projekt's Board Management Report:

Preorders of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty launched on GOG.COM on 11 June 2023.

One week following the expansion’s release date (26 September 2023) we announced that 10% of the three
million copies of Phantom Liberty sold until that point had been purchased on GOG.COM. Throughout all of
2023 GOG.COM accounted for over 460 thousand of the total sales of CD PROJEKT RED’s newest release
(over 5 million units).

Looks like I'm not that bad at guessing . That does, in fact, confirm that over 90% of PL's copies sold on other platforms.

Also, regarding the list of notable releases on GOG, there is this info in the report:

In 2023 the GOG.COM catalogue grew by over a thousand new titles, including Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Baldur’s
Gate III, Days Gone, Uncharted, Fallout 4, Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty,
Pharaoh: A New Era, Wartales, System Shock, Age of Wonders 4, Warhammer: Dawn of War, Jagged Alliance
3 and Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew.

So, if we factor in that PL alone sold 460K copies and the fact that there are 9,000 products total on GOG with plenty of sales events every corner, yada, yada, yada, this really puts into perspective what a small and negligible gig they really are and maybe, just maybe, it helps people understand a little better why Epic is doing exclusives to promote their store.

Mar 28, 2024, 21:37
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Sales and The Witcher 4 and Project Orion Updates Mar 28, 2024, 21:37
Mar 28, 2024, 21:37

RogueSix wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 20:44:
This means that probably even more than 90% of each Phantom Liberty copy was sold outside of GOG in spite of CD Projekt advertising their in-house platform rather aggressively at every turn (I believe I have more freebies on GOG than on Epic by now).

^ Quoting myself to add this from the CD Projekt's Board Management Report:

Preorders of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty launched on GOG.COM on 11 June 2023.

One week following the expansion’s release date (26 September 2023) we announced that 10% of the three
million copies of Phantom Liberty sold until that point had been purchased on GOG.COM. Throughout all of
2023 GOG.COM accounted for over 460 thousand of the total sales of CD PROJEKT RED’s newest release
(over 5 million units).

Looks like I'm not that bad at guessing . That does, in fact, confirm that over 90% of PL's copies sold on other platforms.

Also, regarding the list of notable releases on GOG, there is this info in the report:

In 2023 the GOG.COM catalogue grew by over a thousand new titles, including Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Baldur’s
Gate III, Days Gone, Uncharted, Fallout 4, Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty,
Pharaoh: A New Era, Wartales, System Shock, Age of Wonders 4, Warhammer: Dawn of War, Jagged Alliance
3 and Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew.

So, if we factor in that PL alone sold 460K copies and the fact that there are 9,000 products total on GOG with plenty of sales events every corner, yada, yada, yada, this really puts into perspective what a small and negligible gig they really are and maybe, just maybe, it helps people understand a little better why Epic is doing exclusives to promote their store.
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older