Hellgate: Redemption Revealed

Lunacy Games announces a plans for Hellgate: Redemption (codename), a new game based on Hellgate: London, the action/RPG quite famously developed by Flagship Studios, a group of former Blizzard developers hoping to recapture the magic of the early Diablo games. The game need redemption because Flagship went bankrupt after it flopped and it went offline not long thereafter. But it returned in 2018 to Steam thanks to HanbitSoft and can still be played. Now it has a deal for the new game with Lunacy Games, co-founded by Flagship co-founder Bill Roper. The original game probably suffered from too much hype, which new game seems willing to lean into, starting with an unexpected victory lap:
Hellgate: London is an influential game that was ahead of its time in numerous ways. It pioneered the Looter Shooter genre, featuring randomly generated levels that demanded a proprietary 3D engine with real-time lighting support, and employed a business model that was unique at the time, now widely recognized as a Battle Pass. That era of gaming even required the formation of a second company to build and operate the online portion of Hellgate: London.

“By using Unreal Engine 5, cloud-based game servers, as many off-the-shelf solutions as possible, and great co-development partnerships, we’re putting every development dollar toward gameplay and innovation,” explains Roper. “We’re keeping core gameplay and lore elements of Hellgate: London in our current design, but our intent is to build an exciting new experience that takes advantage of the numerous advances the industry has seen over the past 17 years since the original game launched.”
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed
Mar 28, 2024, 23:26
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 23:26
Mar 28, 2024, 23:26

Really like and replay the original solo Hellgate (not its last monstrous iteration).
But using the amazing Revival Mod.

Great time finishing it again this last october.
KEEP INVENTORY AND STORAGE TO LESS OF HALF : GAME HAD STOPPED SAVING TILL REDUCED !!!

For me the 2 best upgraded weapons:
- Wicked area destruction: Firefox Launcher upgraded.
- Kill them and they don't know what hit them: Snipers with absurdly increased range.

- Played it in 1st person view as a FPS !
- Playing FPS: create hero tallest as he sees farther above obstacles !!!

-------------
-- OK Attrib Points, 4 Bytes, 999 and Skill Points, 4BY, 500 use Speed Hack 0.2 and search FAST (game changes addresses often)

-- Scrap/Rare Tech Component/Tech Component/Nanoshard, 4 Bytes, Inventory MRB split, max 5000, change click inventory panel, sell: MRB sell icon, not to human merchants.

-- Palladium (money), 4 Bytes, 9 999 999 MAX (=sold money lost) change vallue of all many addresses, exit inventory, enter

-- Materials and Components, 4 Bytes, repl all addresses found with new value, tried 2500 ok

-- Upped health to 12041 and tired of clicking (attrib 2344), accuracy 875 (critical damage 1840% left, 1999% right), strength 251, willpower 979 (power 1998), movement speed 107

-- Basic Shield Capacitors 300.
Large Shield Boosters 200, 4BY, 100, 200, 300 on sale, change value to 100 of all addresses found.

-- Advanced Health Injectors 188, Large Health Injectors, 4BY, 100, 200, 300 on sale, change value to 100 of all addresses found.

-- Too many etc.

Mar 28, 2024, 14:34
Prez

Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 14:34
Mar 28, 2024, 14:34
 Prez

I have hated every single sewer level in every single game I have played in my lifetime. In the 90's, you would have thought that it was a legal requirement that every FPS must contain a sewer level. They are just so visually dull and there's no way to make them look anything but. They are often mazes too, something else I despise. Throw in a procedural generation system in which seeing a sewer level that looks nearly identical to the one you played last mission in is commonplace, and... yeah, I can see why the sewers stick out in your mind.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 28, 2024, 13:19
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 13:19
Mar 28, 2024, 13:19

fujiJuice wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 12:34:
The sewers. For some reason that is all I remember. Maybe that was the tutorial area.

I recall it basically was. First map is the street, a short one that leads into the sewers. Rinse and repeat a few times. Street - Sewer - HUB - Street - Sewer - HUB - Street - P.Circus - Sewer - and so on and so on. It's been awhile. There were a few other places thrown in there from time to time.

Mar 28, 2024, 12:34
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 12:34
Mar 28, 2024, 12:34

Cram wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 11:53:
I found it bland, textures blurry and washed out. It was a bug infested mess and poorly optimized. Couldn't stand any of the same underground/sewer levels. City streets got extremely repetitive very quickly. There probably was a good game somewhere in there, I didn't stick around long enough to find it. I am thankful I didn't sign up for that lifetime thing at the time. I remember being tempted.

The sewers. For some reason that is all I remember. Maybe that was the tutorial area.

Mar 28, 2024, 11:53
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 11:53
Mar 28, 2024, 11:53

My experience with the game at launch mirrors others here with the negative opinions. I was pretty hyped for this, and nothing with this game lived up to that hype; maybe that's a me problem. I ate up everything Bill Roper was saying about the game up to launch; turned out he was not all that truthful and reliable about anything.

I found it bland, textures blurry and washed out. It was a bug infested mess and poorly optimized. Couldn't stand any of the same underground/sewer levels. City streets got extremely repetitive very quickly. There probably was a good game somewhere in there, I didn't stick around long enough to find it. I am thankful I didn't sign up for that lifetime thing at the time. I remember being tempted.

I wish this new game all the best, and that it hopefully doesn't repeat the dozens of mistakes the first one made.

My favorite part of this game turned out to be all the sh*tposting here on Blues back then. About the game and everything to do with Flagship. We all took the piss out of the game and company on what felt like a daily basis. It was pretty funny.

Mar 28, 2024, 10:57
Prez

Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 10:57
Mar 28, 2024, 10:57
 Prez

Jonjonz wrote on Mar 28, 2024, 07:08:
Hellgate London is 'the' poster child for really bad procedural generation. Here are the same mobs, the same textures, and the same assets, the only thing that is changed is the floorplan.

Careful; you came dangerously close to infringing on my copyrighted post. 🤪

Just kidding. I often post without reading all of the previous posts too. Synergistic coincidences will happen every now and then.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 28, 2024, 10:08
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 10:08
Mar 28, 2024, 10:08

Cutter wrote on Mar 27, 2024, 23:11:
The setting was fantastic

Really? Some place is overrun by demons. Wow. Such a creative setting Wink .

I remember playing some kind of demo or free trial way back in the day and it was generic and lame as fuck. I have no idea why anyone would constantly try to revive or "redeem" this piece of shit as the Steam reviews for newer versions are also mediocre at best but if Lunacy Games think they need to flush money down the toilet here then more power to them, I guess.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Mar 28, 2024, 10:00
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 10:00
Mar 28, 2024, 10:00

I really liked the original HG:L and I go back and play it every now and then. The various newer versions I skipped. I do think their comment about being a pioneer is a little off as it wasn't that much of a change other than the procedural generation.

The things I really liked about this game was the ability to "reset" a quest if you get into a situation where you cannot move forward. I really wish other games had this feature. The world itself was interesting with the metro system as a hub. The classes were also standard, but fun. I did find the Blademaster vs other classes POV confusing.

The things I didn't like about the game - the procedural generation. The randomness itself was fine but areas and textures repeated way too often. On many occasions I knew the relative layout of an area because it was being reused from an area I was just recently in. They needed far more randomness and far more assets to choose from.

Overall I'd like to see a remaster of the original with some QoL enhancements. A new game may be good too provided they don't try to jump on the MTX, online, resource grinding mindset of modern games. I'll remain hopefully optimistic until I see some gameplay.

Mar 28, 2024, 07:08
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 07:08
Mar 28, 2024, 07:08

Hellgate London is 'the' poster child for really bad procedural generation. Here are the same mobs, the same textures, and the same assets, the only thing that is changed is the floorplan.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Mar 28, 2024, 03:26
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 28, 2024, 03:26
Mar 28, 2024, 03:26

corefracture wrote on Mar 27, 2024, 14:11:
I actually kind of remember liking something about Hellgate. In the end it didn't pan out but I felt a bit of a spark there. Semi excited to see where this goes!

Same here, it's a shame the game died due to it being so poorly marketed and overhyped. It was marketed and sold as an MMO, when in fact it was an ARPG, and a pretty decent one at that, it's systems were innovative and fun. It had great potential, but in the end was brought down by greed. Cautiously optimistic about this one.

Mar 27, 2024, 23:11
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 23:11
Mar 27, 2024, 23:11

The setting was fantastic, the actual game and the GaaS business model...not so much. If they can do the former and not the latter it may be worth checking out. Warrants initial curiosity at any rate.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Mar 27, 2024, 18:35
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 18:35
Mar 27, 2024, 18:35

Going to keep my eye on this. I still play the modded single player overhaul of this game called Hellgate Revival. Its a lot of fun.
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Mar 27, 2024, 15:18
Prez

Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 15:18
Mar 27, 2024, 15:18
 Prez

I played the altered post-MMO version of this. I don't know if it was as bad when it was an MMO, but the procedural generation was terrible. I was going nuts with how despite procedural generation almost every level seemed nearly identical to the last. Probably the poster child for how not to do procedural generation.

The bones of a really interesting game were in there, but it wasn't hard to see why the first game flopped no matter how much I was pulling for them. I'd imagine they would want do a better job of building levels if they were going back to this universe.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 27, 2024, 14:56
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 14:56
Mar 27, 2024, 14:56

Played Hellgate at release and every other release over many years. Loved every minute of it. Except the steam version had a bad 1fps bug.

Mar 27, 2024, 14:50
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 14:50
Mar 27, 2024, 14:50

Cool this is making a comeback. There is a Unofficial server out there if anyone is interested in playing this game online still. Its now called Hellgate 2038. and they do make updates to the game.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Mar 27, 2024, 14:11
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 14:11
Mar 27, 2024, 14:11

I actually kind of remember liking something about Hellgate. In the end it didn't pan out but I felt a bit of a spark there. Semi excited to see where this goes!

Mar 27, 2024, 14:02
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 14:02
Mar 27, 2024, 14:02

Haha, wow. Forgot all about this. I also remember the hype for this. Primarily because of the former Blizzard employees that worked on Diablo. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. I don't remember playing it for that long or any fond memory of it, so I can't imagine it was ever that good back then, lol.

Still, pretty cool to revisit this and see if they can do it any justice nowadays.

Mar 27, 2024, 13:42
El Pit

Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 13:42
Mar 27, 2024, 13:42
 El Pit

I got Flagshipped back then but won't go back to this Lunacy!

Just kidding. I actually enjoyed Hellgate a bit back then despite its obvious problems. Maybe Lunacy Games can polish the game with U5 and correct at least some of its flaws? There definitely is a good looter shooter somewhere hidden in Hellgate.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Mar 27, 2024, 13:36
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 13:36
Mar 27, 2024, 13:36

Here we go again.
All aboard! We set sail soon!

Mar 27, 2024, 13:33
Re: Hellgate: Redemption Revealed Mar 27, 2024, 13:33
Mar 27, 2024, 13:33

I played this game for a while but it didn't grab me. I remember thinking the cinematics were nice.
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older