Ken Levine Shares Judas Details

A Judas Video Interview from IGN features a sit-down with Ken Levine to chat about Judas, betraying details about the single-player FPS in the works at Ghost Games, a studio comprising the BioShock creator and other former Irrational Games developers. Conducted by IGN's Ryan McCaffrey and Geoff Keighley, the interview discusses how the storytelling in the new game uses "narrative LEGOs" for a replayable single-player experience: "This constant push and pull is at the heart of Judas's player-driven narrative, and it means that no two playthroughs are ever likely to be the same. That's the 'narrative LEGOs' in action, and what we talk a lot about in the course of the interview. Enjoy!" A separate video from Geoff has additional thoughts on the game from The Game Awards host. Here's more:
Renowned designer Ken Levine invited IGN's Ryan McCaffrey and The Game Awards creator Geoff Keighley to Ghost Story Games in Boston, where we spent six hours playing a recent build of his new narrative-driven single-player first-person shooter Judas, followed by a lengthy conversation with the award-winning game designer to discuss the long wait since BioShock Infinite, bringing the "narrative LEGOs" concept to life in Judas, what the game is all about, and much more. You can watch the entire interview in the video above, but before you do, we figured you might want to know a little bit about Judas first. So we'll share the basics, without spoiling anything: Judas is a first-person narrative-driven shooter that, from a moment-to-moment gameplay perspective, will feel familiar to BioShock fans. You have a gun in your right hand and various organic powers on your left hand.
View : : :
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details
Mar 27, 2024, 17:21
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 17:21
Mar 27, 2024, 17:21

PHJF wrote on Mar 27, 2024, 13:18:
If infinite did one thing right it was Elizabeth. She was a great character ( by game standards) and rather than needing babysat by the player would just give you ammo and shit occasionally.

Elizabeth was fantastic. She actually felt helpful and really raised that game.
Personally, I mostly loved it. Mostly. The beginning was fantastic, and starting with you hooking some dude's face was pretty intense.
The end started to suffer. I just remember having a ton of MechaWashingtons in the same room, sponging ammo I didn't have. Not much fun. Just those enemies, but yeah, ammo sponges if I recall (it's been like a decade, so I may not recall accurately.)

Mar 27, 2024, 13:32
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 13:32
Mar 27, 2024, 13:32

Played and finished all the Bioshock games. Levine and his people know how to create cool plots based on philosophical topics and interesting characters. However the biggest problem for me with the Bioshock games was that they were always console ports and suffered from consolitis ie console prioritizing design decisions to the detriment of PC players. So I'm mostly skeptical of the technical aspects of Judas.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2024, 01:56.

Mar 27, 2024, 13:18
PHJF

Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 13:18
Mar 27, 2024, 13:18
 PHJF

If infinite did one thing right it was Elizabeth. She was a great character ( by game standards) and rather than needing babysat by the player would just give you ammo and shit occasionally.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Mar 27, 2024, 12:45
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 12:45
Mar 27, 2024, 12:45

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 27, 2024, 05:40:
I am one of the few people who didn't like the Bioshock games. In fact I hated them, with a passion. I hated everything about them, the art direction (cartoony in a personally aesthetically displeasing way) the gunplay, the weapons, the enemies, the systems in place, checkpoint saving (ugh) etc. etc.

That is not to say that I think they were bad games (actually I am just being polite, yes I do) just that they were not games for me. Bioshock is one of the few games which I started up and couldn't make it further than the first level, it felt like a bad console FPS port through and through.

I know, I know BEST STORY EVAH! Yeah I get it, but if these underlying systems bug me enough so that I can't even get deep enough into the game to experience the story, then I feel that's not good game design. This looks like pretty much exactly like Bioshock, so I will most probably be giving this a pass too.

Disclaimer: I loved System Shock, and especially System Shock 2.

I really liked the first two BioShocks. I rarely replay games but I even replayed the remasters of both BioShocks and still loved them when I did. I was able to look past the mid consolitis because of the unique atmosphere, setting, story, characters and all that good shit.

BioShock Infinite, however, was a complete piece of shit to me. The consolitis became completely unbearable in that game, the setting was implausible, lame and boring, the characters sucked, the respawn mechanic sucked, everything about the game SUCKED a FOOTBALL though a tiny garden hose and then some.
I can not think of a single game that I ever had to force myself to finish as hard as this piece of trash and I wanted to finish it so I could say that I gave it its fair chance. I did. And I hated it.

I'm not really interested in Levine's game. Once again sounds pretentious as hell and I'm never a fan of roguelike or roguelite elements in a game. Just no. It's usually just a time-wasting game-y mechanic. That said, I will keep a casual eye on it and if the reviews are unanimously positive then I might be willing to splurge a tenner on the GOTY one fine day.

It's going to be pretty difficult to "read" the reviews though because a lot of people will simply pretend to like it because it's a Levine game and they think it makes them look smart or intellectual if they pretend to like a Levine game and then there will be the BioShock Infinite fanbois who will pretend to like it simply because it is similar. It will require a rather in-depth look to find out what "normal" people really like or dislike about the game...
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Mar 27, 2024, 11:39
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 11:39
Mar 27, 2024, 11:39

I liked all of the Bioshock games and felt they all had something to offer in their own way and had interesting stories to tell. I always saved the Little Sisters. Couldn't fathom harming a child for my own gain. Didn't care that it was a game, doing so goes against the grain of my psychological makeup and breaks one of my rules. I made similar choices when playing Frostpunk too.

I'll keep an eye on this game as it continues to develop. Might be interesting, might not be.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mar 27, 2024, 10:35
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 10:35
Mar 27, 2024, 10:35

Blue wrote on Mar 27, 2024, 09:34:
I wouldn't know about the first game... as soon as I hit the moral quandary of whether to save children or murder them to enhance my character, I was out.

Loved BioShock Infinite, though.
I had absolutely No idea what was happening on my first playthrough.
I chose to free the first one and ended up freeing all the girls, I remember pausing the first time for a moment before doing it, I mean it’s just a video game - normally we kill and destroy everything in many of them.
Spoilered, if you don’t know about its multiple endings.
The ending I got was the “good” one and it was extremely sentimental and sweet, almost pure syrup.
Totally worth it. One of my favorite games.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Mar 27, 2024, 09:50
Prez

Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 09:50
Mar 27, 2024, 09:50
 Prez

I played the updated version of Bioshock about a year ago (after I had played infinite) and it still held up quite well for me. The atmosphere is still fantastic. Nothing beats the ominous dread of System Shock, but it's still a very good game.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 27, 2024, 09:34
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 09:34
Mar 27, 2024, 09:34

I am one of the few people who didn't like the Bioshock games. In fact I hated them, with a passion. I hated everything about them, the art direction (cartoony in a personally aesthetically displeasing way) the gunplay, the weapons, the enemies, the systems in place, checkpoint saving (ugh) etc. etc.
I wouldn't know about the first game... as soon as I hit the moral quandary of whether to save children or murder them to enhance my character, I was out.

Loved BioShock Infinite, though.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Mar 27, 2024, 09:28
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 09:28
Mar 27, 2024, 09:28

That is not to say that I think they were bad games (actually I am just being polite, yes I do) just that they were not games for me. Bioshock is one of the few games which I started up and couldn't make it further than the first level, it felt like a bad console FPS port through and through.

I know, I know BEST STORY EVAH! Yeah I get it, but if these underlying systems bug me enough so that I can't even get deep enough into the game to experience the story, then I feel that's not good game design. This looks like pretty much exactly like Bioshock, so I will most probably be giving this a pass too.

Back when the game was new and even a year or so afterward you'd have been crucified and run off the internet for saying that. I'm not sure people feel as positive about Bioshock anymore though, especially after Infinite. I don't hear the insane adulation I used to for it. I like Bioshock personally, though I wish they had not had Shock in the title as I feel it shouldn't be associated with the System Shock games which are far superior.
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Mar 27, 2024, 07:17
El Pit

Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 07:17
Mar 27, 2024, 07:17
 El Pit

Only traitors share details... The Judas problem in action.
I am looking forward to this. I love first person perspective games and liked and finished all 3 Bioshock games, so this should absolutely be "my cup of tea." I just hope they deliver a finished game and not an unoptimized mess as so many other developers have in the last few years.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Mar 27, 2024, 05:40
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 05:40
Mar 27, 2024, 05:40

Mar 27, 2024, 02:35
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 27, 2024, 02:35
Mar 27, 2024, 02:35

Betraying details, eh? Ouch! Love it.

Mar 26, 2024, 21:43
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 26, 2024, 21:43
Mar 26, 2024, 21:43

Ken's been working on this for many years. I wonder how the rise of LLMs and "AI" affects this development (if at all) since it would seem to dovetail with what he's trying to do here.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Mar 26, 2024, 21:32
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 26, 2024, 21:32
Mar 26, 2024, 21:32

I'm all for more games from one of my favorite game devs

Mar 26, 2024, 21:29
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 26, 2024, 21:29
Mar 26, 2024, 21:29

Prez wrote on Mar 26, 2024, 21:05:
I added a pretty important fact in an edit to my last post, but to reiterate what I wanted to add is that Keighley is the face of the awards show, so he personifies what I hate about the awards show and the games industry at large.

I appreciate that.

Mar 26, 2024, 21:05
Prez

Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 26, 2024, 21:05
Mar 26, 2024, 21:05
 Prez

I added a pretty important fact in an edit to my last post, but to reiterate what I wanted to add is that Keighley is the face of the awards show, so he personifies what I hate about the awards show and the games industry at large.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 26, 2024, 20:59
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 26, 2024, 20:59
Mar 26, 2024, 20:59

Prez wrote on Mar 26, 2024, 20:53:
I'm assuming you know that the awards show is managed by him, which is the only capacity in which he is relevant to gaming as far as I know. Apologies if you didn't. It's the bed he chose to make for himself more than him as a person. He is trying to straddle the line between serving corporate interests and giving the developers the recognition that they deserve. I don't know if anyone could necessarily do a better job, but he is nowhere near maintaining a balance. It's heavily corporate-slanted. Watching even the few clips of this past awards show will show how poorly he has managed that balance. You need to pay the bills, but it is painful how corporate the awards show is.

I have seen a bit of that imbalance, but I don’t know if I have a problem with him as a person. But anyway, cheers for the info…

Mar 26, 2024, 20:53
Prez

Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 26, 2024, 20:53
Mar 26, 2024, 20:53
 Prez

I'm assuming you know that the awards show is managed by him, which is the only capacity in which he is relevant to gaming as far as I know. Apologies if you didn't. It's the bed he chose to make for himself more than him as a person. He is trying to straddle the line between serving corporate interests and giving the developers the recognition that they deserve. I don't know if anyone could necessarily do a better job, but he is nowhere near maintaining a balance. It's heavily corporate-slanted. Watching even just a few clips of this past awards show will show how poorly he has managed that balance. You need to pay the bills, but it is painful how corporate the awards show is. With him being the self-appointed face of the game awards, it makes me cringe.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 26, 2024, 20:38
Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 26, 2024, 20:38
Mar 26, 2024, 20:38

Prez wrote on Mar 26, 2024, 20:34:
I cringe at even the mention of Geoff Keighley, so I am a little put off by even his tangential involvement, but I still am excited to hear from Ken Levine again.

What’s wrong with Keighley?

Mar 26, 2024, 20:34
Prez

Re: Ken Levine Shares Judas Details Mar 26, 2024, 20:34
Mar 26, 2024, 20:34
 Prez

I cringe at even the mention of Geoff Keighley, so I am a little put off by even his tangential involvement, but I still am excited to hear from Ken Levine again.
- Mahatma Gandhi
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older