On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions

A post on Steam, Capcom discusses the launch of Dragon's Dogma 2, addressing issues raised players about the action/RPG sequel. Word is crashes and bugs are being investigated and the option of restarting the game is being looked into. There is also a clarification that paid DLC items which have generated backlash can also be earned through gameplay. Finally, there's this on complaints about the game's framerate:
A large amount of CPU usage is allocated to each character and calculating the impact of their physical presence in various areas. In certain situations where numerous characters appear simultaneously, the CPU usage can be very high and may affect the frame rate. We are aware that in such situations, settings that reduce GPU load may currently have a limited effect; however, we are looking into ways to improve performance in the future.
View : : :
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions
Mar 26, 2024, 22:17
Kxmode

Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 26, 2024, 22:17
Mar 26, 2024, 22:17
 Kxmode

Jonjonz wrote on Mar 23, 2024, 06:52:
It like it's predecessor still lacks a proper PC style save game function, so hard pass here.

Or they just want to copy Elder Rings.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Mar 26, 2024, 22:16
Kxmode

Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 26, 2024, 22:16
Mar 26, 2024, 22:16
 Kxmode

Shock wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 17:06:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 13:53:
One of the positive reviews with over 5 hours played:

"I don't understand why there are so many negative reviews. Yes, graphics are not at the highest level, and there are some micro-transactions (but everything you can buy in an online shop can be freely acquired within the game). Yes, there are not so many significant changes to the original DD. But this game is still excellent: nice fights, an exciting story, many enemies, and a perfect character creator. With RTX3070 and i7-10800H (laptop), I have continuous 45-60 fps on ultra settings. I didn't encounter any bugs or visual glitches so far. 8/10. Thank you, Capcom!"

When the ratings are filtered to show reviews over 5 hours played, the score goes from a mostly negative 39% to a mostly positive 72%. That's a considerable increase.

Of course people who have played more are going to give better reviews. If I don't like a game, I'm not going to get to that 5 hour threshold.
It's not. There are still plenty of negative reviews for playtimes beyond 5 hours.

One review at 32 hours:

- The game's vocation system is criticized for its restrictions, limiting classes to a single weapon type and confusing armor system, resulting in a lack of diversity in character appearance and gameplay.
- The loot system is deemed unrewarding, with the best gear found in shops rather than through exploration, reducing the incentive to explore.
- Quest design is considered one of the game's weaknesses, with confusing, uninteresting, and poorly written quests, sometimes time-gated without clear indication, causing players to miss significant content.
- Exploration is seen as monotonous due to repetitive enemy encounters and lack of valuable discoveries outside combat, resulting in a dull experience that doesn't encourage exploration.
- The vocation unlock system is poorly designed, potentially delaying players' access to preferred classes until too late in the game.

Another at 60 hours:

- Advised to wait for game patches to resolve existing issues before purchasing.
- Not recommended for most potential players at the current state due to the mentioned performance problems.

At 44 hours:

- I cannot recommend the game for it's current price. Just wait until you can get it AT LEAST 50% off. By that time they might even optimise it and maybe add some new content (although I doubt it).

17 hours:

- incredible game brought low by absolutely terrible performance. capcom really dropped the ball on this one

18 hours:

- Game is fun and immersive, but at the time of writing this post, I would not recommend purchasing due to CPU bottle necking. The game chugs in towns and the pawns need to be fixed.

14 hours:

- Despite owning a high-end PC and appreciating the game's visual quality and exploration aspects, the player does not enjoy the combat, which is a significant part of the game experience.

-----

In other words, please don't assume players will automatically like the game once they reach the 5-hour threshold. Setting reviews to 5 hours helps filter out all the harrumph within the first few hours of gameplay.
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source

Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs
Mar 26, 2024, 15:45
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs Mar 26, 2024, 15:45
Mar 26, 2024, 15:45

I hate how publishers will simply ignore the PC performance problems prior to release, and then make hasty announcements to players they "we are aware of your concerns regarding performance and are looking into potential solutions." Your playtesters most certainly raised these concerns prior to release, and you released anyway, and now there's egg on your face as you try to solve performance problems you had prior knowledge of. It's ridiculous and I hate seeing this happen again and again and again.

Mar 23, 2024, 16:30
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 16:30
Mar 23, 2024, 16:30

This video says it all from Asmongold.

https://youtu.be/HOOMz1Ssjbg?si=xqj58IIkSp7i56ig

Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Mar 23, 2024, 14:15
Prez

Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 14:15
Mar 23, 2024, 14:15
 Prez

I have heard varying things about the fast travel, and not having played it means I'm not exactly sure who to take at their word. The thing is, ultimately, I like not having fast travel. Unless I am playing co-op, I rarely use fast travel except if I am in a hurry or if the mission is timed or some other time constraint. I am big on immersion, so unless something is egregiously slow or I've seen it too many times in a short period of time I watch every cut scene, even if it repeats with every action. A good example is in one of my favorite games of all time, XCOM2. There are tons of mods that revolve around saving players time. The ones that allow you to put everyone on overwatch at once or evac as a group are no-brainers (that really should have been included in the vanilla game), but I never download the cutscene skips or the ones that eliminate unnecessary but cool animations. Fast travel is just a way to maybe save me some time but take me completely out of the experience. If the traversal is boring to me that indicates a problem with your world and how you filled it with stuff to see and do in my view.

I love the way flight sims allow for time compression - you complete the journey in its entirety without having to actually wait the actual time it would take to fly from say, London to Berlin. A 'little bit faster' travel I guess?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 23, 2024, 13:23
PHJF

Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 13:23
Mar 23, 2024, 13:23
 PHJF

Fast travel is fairly generous compared to DD1: in DD1 you basically had to beat the game to unlock it. Now you get access to ferrystones and permanent portcrystals (waypoints) upon entering the main city, and they have added a (very inexpensive) taxi system between settlements.

Also on the subject of saving the game, the save system is far more generous this time around: you can save everywhere, and the game seems to autosave pretty regularly. I wish you could only save when resting because there's no Dark Souls-style risk anymore to adventuring, and night travel isn't remotely as dangerous as it was during the early game of DD1.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Mar 23, 2024, 12:53
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 12:53
Mar 23, 2024, 12:53

Darks wrote on Mar 23, 2024, 11:20:
Desalus wrote on Mar 23, 2024, 00:41:
Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 21:14:

Whatever Mr. Literal! should aIso spell it out for you next time?

You really need a reality check!

Is there something wrong with being factual and speaking accurately? I need a reality check because I'd prefer people not be spreading misinformation about a game I enjoy? Typically I don't care as much as I do about things like this, but when I saw so much bullshit information being spread today, I lost my patience.

Again, what I said is all fact! The MTX is there, people end up buying it so get bent out of shape all you want, but at the end of the day, its still in the store for people to buy. They may give you a hand out for one of those tokens, but they are going to make you grind the hell out of the game to get more.

How many people lose their patience and go and buy them when they are hard to get? Probably a lot. Don't defend this bullshit. You are part of the problem and why they put that shit in the games. And please dont even try to defend the one char bullshit! SMH!!!

Exactly. "Pay-for-Convenience" is the last step into the realm of free2play mobile gaming. Keep defending this "harmless" shit, and in a few years we'll have our new sword at the blacksmith take 8 hours to make unless you swipe your card.

But these are complex thoughts, and I don't want the ire of the masses, so I'm off again. In fact, I was never here. Ciao!

Mar 23, 2024, 11:44
Prez

Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 11:44
Mar 23, 2024, 11:44
 Prez

On the subject of microtransactions, if there was an equivalency between earning them in game or buying them, the vast majority of people wouldn't buy them. I have heard from many sources that game publishers have psychologists examining the best practices to ensure that enough people are compelled to opt to purchase them. I'm not terribly bothered by that, but I did want to make it clear that it isn't as innocent as you think.

On the subject of fast travel, I previously applauded them for the bold decision to greatly diminish its use. I mostly still stand by that, but offering a paid alternative is exploitative. It's not a crime against humanity or anything, but it isn't altruistic either.

The single character, however... wow that gets me.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 23, 2024, 11:32
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 11:32
Mar 23, 2024, 11:32

All the microtransactions are literally shit you have access to in game by playing with other player's pawns. And it's not like you don't get very much of it or you have to grind like crazy to get it, it's easy to get and in the background. I still dislike microtransactions in a single player* game, so screw Capcom. But nothing here is so bad you should avoid the game all together.

For those having framerate issues in cities on PC, there are two simple fixes:

1: Go to Nvidia Control Panel and set Shader Cache to infinite (I'm sure there's a way to do this on AMD hardware, but I'm unfamiliar).

2. When you launch the game, go to the task manager > details and set DD2.exe to high priority.

Until we get official fixes, these two simple things improve the framerate in cities for me by about 40%. Ryzen 3600, Gigabit 3060 12gb, 16 gigs DDR4..

Mar 23, 2024, 11:20
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 11:20
Mar 23, 2024, 11:20

Desalus wrote on Mar 23, 2024, 00:41:

Is there something wrong with being factual and speaking accurately? I need a reality check because I'd prefer people not be spreading misinformation about a game I enjoy? Typically I don't care as much as I do about things like this, but when I saw so much bullshit information being spread today, I lost my patience.

Again, what I said is all fact! The MTX is there, people end up buying it so get bent out of shape all you want, but at the end of the day, its still in the store for people to buy. They may give you a hand out for one of those tokens, but they are going to make you grind the hell out of the game to get more.

How many people lose their patience and go and buy them when they are hard to get? Probably a lot. Don't defend this bullshit. You are part of the problem and why they put that shit in the games. And please dont even try to defend the one char bullshit! SMH!!!

Mar 23, 2024, 06:52
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 06:52
Mar 23, 2024, 06:52

It like it's predecessor still lacks a proper PC style save game function, so hard pass here.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Mar 23, 2024, 02:49
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 02:49
Mar 23, 2024, 02:49

I'm having a great time so far. No temptation whatsoever to pay for any MTX (It's all attainable in-game without even trying), and framerate is good apart from a slight dip in densely populated cities - though I'm running it on a Ryzen 9 5900X with a RTX-4090, so I'd be gobsmacked if it *didn't* run okay.

Mar 23, 2024, 00:41
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 23, 2024, 00:41
Mar 23, 2024, 00:41

Mar 22, 2024, 21:14
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 22, 2024, 21:14
Mar 22, 2024, 21:14

Desalus wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 20:41:
Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 19:49:
Ok, so these must be my imagination right???

Buy Dragon's Dogma 2: Art of Metamorphosis - Character Editor 1.99$

OR this!!!

Buy Dragon's Dogma 2: Ambivalent Rift Incense - Change Pawn Inclinations 1.99$

And this!!

Buy Dragon's Dogma 2: Portcrystal - Warp Location Marker 1.99$

You can spin this any which way you want, but at the end of the day its still bullshit MTX shit they are trying to get people to pay for.

You said "they make you pay", which is incorrect. They don't make you pay for changing your character's appearance, they don't make you pay to change your pawn's inclination, and they don't make you pay for portcrystals (aka fast travel). Both of the former can be done in-game, for in-game currency, and the latter can be found in-game. Sure, it's bullshit MTX, but it's entirely optional for people who want to make their game easier. It's not detracting from my own experience if people want to pay for the MTX. There is absolutely no need to pay for it, just like many of Capcom's past games that have large amounts of MTX items.

Mar 22, 2024, 20:59
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 22, 2024, 20:59
Mar 22, 2024, 20:59

You can spin this any which way you want, but at the end of the day its still bullshit MTX shit they are trying to get people to pay for.

It's not spin to point out that you're reacting as if these features are 100% paywalled, when in fact those are optional shortcut/convenience MTX. It's a pretty big difference.

Mar 22, 2024, 20:41
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 22, 2024, 20:41
Mar 22, 2024, 20:41

OR this!!!

And this!!

You said "they make you pay", which is incorrect. They don't make you pay for changing your character's appearance, they don't make you pay to change your pawn's inclination, and they don't make you pay for portcrystals (aka fast travel). Both of the former can be done in-game, for in-game currency, and the latter can be found in-game. Sure, it's bullshit MTX, but it's entirely optional for people who want to make their game easier. It's not detracting from my own experience if people want to pay for the MTX. There is absolutely no need to pay for it, just like many of Capcom's past games that have large amounts of MTX items.

Mar 22, 2024, 19:49
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 22, 2024, 19:49
Mar 22, 2024, 19:49

Desalus wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 16:59:
Darks wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 16:14:
Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 16:05:
Wait, they make you pay to have more than one character?! That's obscene. I retract what I said in a previous thread. Fuck them.

Oh, and reviewers? Why are you okay with Capcom pulling this crap? Unacceptable.

No dude, they make you pay to make changes to that char, you are locked down to only one char period. Unless you turn off cloud saves, and del the local files. But don't ever reenable cloud saves it will over write that char.

That and paying to unlock fast travel for 3 dollars just blows my mind. What a shit show this game is and is becoming.

For fucks sake, there is so much misinformation about this game. What you said is mostly incorrect. The item to change your character's appearance is available one hour into the game for a small amount of in-game currency. There are different modes of fast travel but the one you are talking about are items that can also be found in game. All of the MTX is completely unnecessary.

The different professions can be switched into and out of and there is a new game plus system. It would be nice to have multiple saves, but just like the original game, it's possible to experience all the game has to offer on a single character.

You can probably get around the Steam Cloud overwriting the files by copying the second round of saves, re-enabling Steam Cloud, and overwriting the cloud files with your copied saved files.

OR this!!!

And this!!

Mar 22, 2024, 17:40
Prez

Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 22, 2024, 17:40
Mar 22, 2024, 17:40
 Prez

Desalus wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 16:59:
Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2024, 16:05:
Wait, they make you pay to have more than one character?! That's obscene. I retract what I said in a previous thread. Fuck them.

Oh, and reviewers? Why are you okay with Capcom pulling this crap? Unacceptable.

No dude, they make you pay to make changes to that char, you are locked down to only one char period. Unless you turn off cloud saves, and del the local files. But don't ever reenable cloud saves it will over write that char.

That and paying to unlock fast travel for 3 dollars just blows my mind. What a shit show this game is and is becoming.

For fucks sake, there is so much misinformation about this game. What you said is mostly incorrect. The item to change your character's appearance is available one hour into the game for a small amount of in-game currency. There are different modes of fast travel but the one you are talking about are items that can also be found in game. All of the MTX is completely unnecessary.

The different professions can be switched into and out of and there is a new game plus system. It would be nice to have multiple saves, but just like the original game, it's possible to experience all the game has to offer on a single character.

You can probably get around the Steam Cloud overwriting the files by copying the second round of saves, re-enabling Steam Cloud, and overwriting the cloud files with your copied saved files.

I thought it was complete bullshit when Ubisoft did it with The Division 2, and they allow you to have 3 characters. Say it's no big deal all you want - who the hell are they to tell me how many characters I can have in a game they want me to pay $70 for? That is absolutely unacceptable to me, and this game just changed from being on my wishlist to maybe buy it when it is at least 80% off if at all. I don't reward horrible business practices or try to rationalize their bullshit away by saying"it's not that bad" or relying on workarounds. Everyone can make their own decisions, and I just made mine. FUCK THEM.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 22, 2024, 17:36
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 22, 2024, 17:36
Mar 22, 2024, 17:36

I for one am enjoying the game and it appears to run smooth. FYI I'm running on a 4 year old i9 9900K with an RTX 4080. I want to play so bad that after reading a few reviews that came out before release I went ahead and ordered an AM5 7800X3d mobo combo. Then I get into the game and it seems to run fine on my 9900K though.

Mar 22, 2024, 17:23
Jim
Re: On Dragon's Dogma 2 Bugs, Frame Rate, and Microtransactions Mar 22, 2024, 17:23
Mar 22, 2024, 17:23
Jim

LOL you are not paying to unlock fast travel. you are paying for a fast travel point.
you put them wherever you want and fast travel to/from them.
you can find them in the game without paying anything.
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older