Out of the Blue

Well Masters of Air concluded, and it was even better than I'd been willing to hope. The Pacific was fine, but I felt it suffered from a diminished narrative compared to Band of Brothers. The new series rediscovered this balance in my opinion. It focused on a central cast while still managing to touch on major aspects of the war tangential to those characters, such as the underground resistance, the story of the Tuskegee Airmen, being a POW, and the holocaust. Quite an uplifting and also tragic story of bravery in the face of impossible situations.

Aired Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science
Thanks Max.

Media
Thanks VideoSift.

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: On the air
Mar 19, 2024, 21:45
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 19, 2024, 21:45
Mar 19, 2024, 21:45

Jonjonz wrote on Mar 19, 2024, 07:57:
The Germans started kicking the world, and the Greatest Generation kicked back. Que worlds smallest violin.

The best depiction of daylight bombing raids ever, showing just what facing off with a deadly monster really looks like.

The Germans were kicking countries with no qualified trained armies. They didn't kick England, Russia or the US. What Germany needed were long range bombers. They were never really close to winning anything

Mar 19, 2024, 12:35
El Pit

Re: OotB: On the air Mar 19, 2024, 12:35
Mar 19, 2024, 12:35
 El Pit

I am [url=]https://screenrant.com/band-of-brothers-the-pacific-masters-of-the-air-ranked-worst-best/[/url] on the ranking of the BoB shows - with the exception of Masters of Air which I have not watched yet.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Mar 19, 2024, 10:02
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 19, 2024, 10:02
Mar 19, 2024, 10:02

Another good read Daylight Precision Bombing: Dangerous Doctrine of the Eighth Air Force
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Mar 19, 2024, 08:09
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 19, 2024, 08:09
Mar 19, 2024, 08:09

Midnight wrote on Mar 19, 2024, 03:43:
I felt Masters of the Air was a disappointment. It lacked the nuance of BoB and The Pacific, seemed to go out of its way to justify the indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, and felt very pro-American and pro-war in general.

Whereas The Pacific did an excellent job of showing the humanity and inhumanity found in both sides of the conflict (including the inhumanity of the Americans and the humanity of the Japanese), MotA painted the Americans as basically noble and brave, and the Germans as basically monstrous. Even our brief glimpse of German civilians suffering after a night-raid (by the RAF, not the USAF), quickly turned into an almost zombie-film like horror show as they took their anger out on captured American aircrew.
But German civilians did attack a captured American Air crew.
The Rüsselsheim massacre is well documented. The wiki reads like both zombies and monsters were involved, they "attacked the unarmed crew members with rocks, hammers, sticks, and shovels, killing six of them."
After the airmen collapsed from the beatings, the air raid warden lined them up in the curb and shot six in the head, but ran out of ammunition, leaving two of the airmen alive. The mob then put the airmen on a cart and took them to a cemetery. Those who moaned were further beaten..
Eleven residents of Rüsselsheim were arrested and put on trial, ...in late July 1945. The trial lasted 6 days.
7 were found guilty and sentenced to death. Two other defendants ... were each sentenced to 15 years in prison with hard labor, while the last was sentenced to 25 years in prison with hard labor. However, a husband and a brother-in-law appealed that the only offenses the two women committed against the pilots was screaming, their death sentences were commuted to 30 years in prison with hard labor.
One person was acquitted by the commission.

I recommend you read the wiki, because I left out a lot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%BCsselsheim_massacre

Edit
British and American authorities found that at least 2,462 Allied airmen were known to have been lynched or abused by civilians in their occupation zones, of which 1,015 were killed. This figure is a low estimate, as it does not include those lynched in former eastern territories of Germany or the Soviet and French occupation zones.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2024, 08:42.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Mar 19, 2024, 07:57
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 19, 2024, 07:57
Mar 19, 2024, 07:57

The Germans started kicking the world, and the Greatest Generation kicked back. Que worlds smallest violin.

The best depiction of daylight bombing raids ever, showing just what facing off with a deadly monster really looks like.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Mar 19, 2024, 03:43
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 19, 2024, 03:43
Mar 19, 2024, 03:43

I felt Masters of the Air was a disappointment. It lacked the nuance of BoB and The Pacific, seemed to go out of its way to justify the indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, and felt very pro-American and pro-war in general.

Whereas The Pacific did an excellent job of showing the humanity and inhumanity found in both sides of the conflict (including the inhumanity of the Americans and the humanity of the Japanese), MotA painted the Americans as basically noble and brave, and the Germans as basically monstrous. Even our brief glimpse of German civilians suffering after a night-raid (by the RAF, not the USAF), quickly turned into an almost zombie-film like horror show as they took their anger out on captured American aircrew.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Mar 19, 2024, 01:28
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 19, 2024, 01:28
Mar 19, 2024, 01:28

I also recommend SAS: Rogue Heroes. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10405370/

And I also loved this series --- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1194698/ --- documentary. Sure, uses cheap 3D effects, but I just pretend it's using a 2000-era flight simulator engine.

Mar 18, 2024, 19:25
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 18, 2024, 19:25
Mar 18, 2024, 19:25

I need to sit down and watch Masters of the Air next week.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Mar 18, 2024, 17:42
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 18, 2024, 17:42
Mar 18, 2024, 17:42

El Pit wrote on Mar 18, 2024, 14:21:
Band of Brothers is an amazing series. The Pacific was great, too, but definitely a step down from BoB. Friends of mine who loved those series told me that Masters of Air is by far not as great as BoB and TP, though. I have yet to watch the series and hope it will see a disc release.

I don't dispute your opinion but wonder how it was a step down? I thought The Pacific it was a step up... realism and acting and a wider range of conflicts and characters

Mar 18, 2024, 17:39
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 18, 2024, 17:39
Mar 18, 2024, 17:39

Band of Brothers looked like a cheap production compared with the Pacific. Both were good but I never felt like I was in the forest during the Battle of the Bulge and I always felt like I was in the Pacific.

Mar 18, 2024, 17:24
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 18, 2024, 17:24
Mar 18, 2024, 17:24

Over the weekend I watched The Zone of Interest (Rudolf Höss and family, living next to Auschwitz) and the first two episodes of Manhunt on Apple TV about the 12-Day chase for Lincoln's killer - truly good tv
Watched BoB for the first time last month and am wrapping up MotA now. Pacific is in the queue.
I think I'll be done with war for a while after that.

Mar 18, 2024, 17:02
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 18, 2024, 17:02
Mar 18, 2024, 17:02

Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2024, 16:05:
Fucking people and their magic "pills"....

"The drugs (Ozempic) can cost up to $16,000 a year (depending on the one prescribed), an out-of-pocket cost few people can bear."

Or you could just eat right and exercise but that's clearly too much effort for most. And Ozempic isn't just a good thing. It can have a lot of serious negative side effects. There is no magic pill.

Some people do eat right and exercise, and it doesn't matter.
Some people are too busy to exercise, which is a real thing that perhaps soap selling bartenders haven't experienced.

My old boss went from over 500 lbs to 300. He may be under that now, but he's 6'4. It's fairly incredible. The guy works 100 hours weeks. He just accepted that he wouldn't live into his 60s. Now? Now he probably will. He went from very obese to probably just borderline.

It was certainly better than a stomach staple would have been

Mar 18, 2024, 16:05
Re: OotB: On the air Mar 18, 2024, 16:05
Mar 18, 2024, 16:05

Fucking people and their magic "pills"....

"The drugs (Ozempic) can cost up to $16,000 a year (depending on the one prescribed), an out-of-pocket cost few people can bear."

Or you could just eat right and exercise but that's clearly too much effort for most. And Ozempic isn't just a good thing. It can have a lot of serious negative side effects. There is no magic pill.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Mar 18, 2024, 14:21
El Pit

Re: OotB: On the air Mar 18, 2024, 14:21
Mar 18, 2024, 14:21
 El Pit

Band of Brothers is an amazing series. The Pacific was great, too, but definitely a step down from BoB. Friends of mine who loved those series told me that Masters of Air is by far not as great as BoB and TP, though. I have yet to watch the series and hope it will see a disc release.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older