24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Evening Interviews
Mar 2, 2024, 12:57
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 12:57
Mar 2, 2024, 12:57

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 10:10:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 1, 2024, 21:23:
I can see empathy oozing freely from the usual suspects.
Gee. Invest in people who create nothing, cause division, damage products, hurt the entire industry? I wonder why nobody gives a shit. If you're supporting the DEI hires, you're supporting the Hollywoodificiation of video games with less diversity, more religious-like preaching.
Sweetie,
What is the color of the sky on your planet? Anxious

"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Mar 2, 2024, 11:48
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 11:48

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 11:47:
Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 11:39:
I'd argue luck is the single biggest factor to traditional/financial success

I think it's a two things. Luck and opportunity and they both have to hit at the exact same time.

Yeah, but isn't them hitting at the same time also luck? Haha.

Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 11:48

RogueSix wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 11:40:
Leahi84 wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 09:42:
RogueSix wrote on Mar 1, 2024, 21:50:

Bro, I'm dripping. DRIPPING, I tellz ya!

Seriously though, someone knowingly decides to pick a job in a highly volatile industry. Then 'volatile' happens. Person snaps like "Waaaahhh look at me, I'm special, you have to keep ME employed waaaahhhh".

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you want job security, don't work in games. Anyone who has done a modicum of research before getting a gaming job should know this. This pretend surprise and drama is completely silly.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen and don't become a cook. Hate driving in traffic jams and rush hours? Cab driver may not be the ideal job for you. Can't stand to see blood? Paramedic might be a poor choice. Want a safe job? A job in the video games industry might be a stupid idea.

But that's what I was alluding to with my comment in yesterday's 'Out of the Blue' comments section that millennials (and Gen Z) are not just the richest but also the whiniest generation in history. This is a typical snowflake example. They make decisions for their life, and then, when known risks actually materialize for once, it is everyone else's fault (society, "the man", "the system"... everyone but them).
The very definition of entitlement and egomania. I chose a job in the gaming industry so I am entitled to my dream job.
Your lack of empathy is despicable. Why don't you go to the retirement home, fade away, and leave us all alone boomer. Also, what a joke you claiming that millennials are the richest in history. We're the first ones to be poorer than the previous.
You boomers screwed us all over. Disgusting.

First, I'm not a boomer (Gen X FTW, baby!) but thanks for confirming once again that "boomer" is used as a discriminating slur these days and that you younger folks want boomers to "fade away" (a.k.a croak already, fuckers!) . And you want to lecture me on empathy? Come again?
Anyway, there were people in denial over this (boomer being a discriminating or even racist insult/slur) on these very forums in a fairly recent discussion about "boomer shooters" because Valve made it an official game category. Posts like yours are proof once again that "boomer" is in fact used as a derogatory slur to insult a perceived older person for their "wrong" views. Including a death wish. That is so very nice of you. You are clearly the grandmaster of empathy and mutual respect!

Also , from the context of my post, it should have been perfectly clear that it is not me claiming that millennials are the richest in history (besides, that would be Gen Z because -without disruptive factors such as a world war- the wealth always propagates on to the latest gen) but I was literally referring to an article that was posted under the 'Out of the Blue' section. So, before you throw a tantrum maybe work on your reading comprehension . The article in question can be found here.

Finally, why would there be a lack of empathy? Someone gets a job in a highly volatile industry where job security has always been non-existent due to the very nature of the industry itself and then someone loses their job. Wow. So unexpected. Why does someone like that deserve empathy? They chose to work in this industry. They knew the risks (unless they are completely ignorant). If the risk materializes in an actual layoff, why are you not prepared for it? Go get a new job in the games industry if you are willing to perpetuate your risky job situation or switch jobs/industries. Simple.

Your headline missed a word from the article. Let me clarify:

"making affluent millennials the richest generation in history"

See that word? "Affluent?" As the CEO of nestle said last week when referring to his customer base, we're seeing a bifurcation of consumers. A small amount are affluent and have ridiculous money, the rest do not have any.

And that's heavily due to people that don't think very deeply about economic impact and just get outraged on message boards when people think things should change.

Mar 2, 2024, 11:47
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 11:47
Mar 2, 2024, 11:47

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 11:39:

I think it's a two things. Luck and opportunity and they both have to hit at the exact same time.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mar 2, 2024, 11:43
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 11:43
Mar 2, 2024, 11:43

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 10:10:
Gee. Invest in people who create nothing, cause division, damage products, hurt the entire industry? I wonder why nobody gives a shit.

If you're supporting the DEI hires, you're supporting the Hollywoodificiation of video games with less diversity, more religious-like preaching.

This article doesn't mention DEI hires. So are you positing that the layoffs were seeing were meaningfully caused by them, or are you so brainwashed that you bring your fringe political beliefs into any discussion without any first hand experience of whatever Facebook meme you're "learning" from?

Mar 2, 2024, 11:42
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 11:42
Mar 2, 2024, 11:42

Prez wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 11:01:
It is far right fanatics, not boomers lacking empathy. The far right are the first ones to sound tough and superior when something bad happens to someone else, but cry like anyone else when it happens to them. Let's apply the blame where it belongs please?

We should but those RWNJs are just mouth pieces for a deliberate progrom of generating, inciting, and continuing generational warfare. You don't blame the lesion, which is just a symptom, you blame the disease and work to cure that disease, no?
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Mar 2, 2024, 11:40
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 11:40
Mar 2, 2024, 11:40

Leahi84 wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 09:42:

Seriously though, someone knowingly decides to pick a job in a highly volatile industry. Then 'volatile' happens. Person snaps like "Waaaahhh look at me, I'm special, you have to keep ME employed waaaahhhh".

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you want job security, don't work in games. Anyone who has done a modicum of research before getting a gaming job should know this. This pretend surprise and drama is completely silly.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen and don't become a cook. Hate driving in traffic jams and rush hours? Cab driver may not be the ideal job for you. Can't stand to see blood? Paramedic might be a poor choice. Want a safe job? A job in the video games industry might be a stupid idea.

But that's what I was alluding to with my comment in yesterday's 'Out of the Blue' comments section that millennials (and Gen Z) are not just the richest but also the whiniest generation in history. This is a typical snowflake example. They make decisions for their life, and then, when known risks actually materialize for once, it is everyone else's fault (society, "the man", "the system"... everyone but them).
The very definition of entitlement and egomania. I chose a job in the gaming industry so I am entitled to my dream job.
Your lack of empathy is despicable. Why don't you go to the retirement home, fade away, and leave us all alone boomer. Also, what a joke you claiming that millennials are the richest in history. We're the first ones to be poorer than the previous.

First, I'm not a boomer (Gen X FTW, baby!) but thanks for confirming once again that "boomer" is used as a discriminating slur these days and that you younger folks want boomers to "fade away" (a.k.a croak already, fuckers!) . And you want to lecture me on empathy? Come again?
Anyway, there were people in denial over this (boomer being a discriminating or even racist insult/slur) on these very forums in a fairly recent discussion about "boomer shooters" because Valve made it an official game category. Posts like yours are proof once again that "boomer" is in fact used as a derogatory slur to insult a perceived older person for their "wrong" views. Including a death wish. That is so very nice of you. You are clearly the grandmaster of empathy and mutual respect!

Also , from the context of my post, it should have been perfectly clear that it is not me claiming that millennials are the richest in history (besides, that would be Gen Z because -without disruptive factors such as a world war- the wealth always propagates on to the latest gen) but I was literally referring to an article that was posted under the 'Out of the Blue' section. So, before you throw a tantrum maybe work on your reading comprehension . The article in question can be found here.

Finally, why would there be a lack of empathy? Someone gets a job in a highly volatile industry where job security has always been non-existent due to the very nature of the industry itself and then someone loses their job. Wow. So unexpected. Why does someone like that deserve empathy? They chose to work in this industry. They knew the risks (unless they are completely ignorant). If the risk materializes in an actual layoff, why are you not prepared for it? Go get a new job in the games industry if you are willing to perpetuate your risky job situation or switch jobs/industries. Simple.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Mar 2, 2024, 11:39
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 11:39
Mar 2, 2024, 11:39

Jivaro wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 11:38:
I have always considered there to be a frightening amount of luck that can go into being a functional adult, let alone a financially secure functioning adult.

Mar 2, 2024, 11:38
Jivaro

Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 11:38
Mar 2, 2024, 11:38
 Jivaro

I have always considered there to be a frightening amount of luck that can go into being a functional adult, let alone a financially secure functioning adult.

Mar 2, 2024, 11:01
Prez

Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 11:01
Mar 2, 2024, 11:01
 Prez

It is far right fanatics, not boomers lacking empathy. The far right are the first ones to sound tough and superior when something bad happens to someone else, but cry like anyone else when it happens to them. Let's apply the blame where it belongs please?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 2, 2024, 10:58
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 10:58
Mar 2, 2024, 10:58

This thread never stood a chance.

Let's get down with the data, though. For example, the phrase "Life isn't fair, deal with it" denotes a particularly obtuse denial and ignorance of history. In the modern era, people who decided "life should be more fair" is why we don't work 7 days a week, 16 hours a day for company scrip. It's also why none of us had jobs at 8 years of age in coal mines, textile mills, or other industrial pursuits but were, instead, in tax payer funded schools being given an education. It's also why we have social safety nets here in the States with unemployment, social security, SNAP, and other programs. Which are, in my view, the very bare minimum when compared to other countries which do so much more.

There are also the facts that productivity has outstripped pay exponentially, the actual purchasing power of a dollar is at one of its lowest points in history, debt (necessary debt, not elective debt) to income ration is higher than almost at any time in modern history, costs have been on an upward trajectory with the rate of fixed costs also similarly rising (which kind of makes the descriptor of "fixed" more than a little dynamic), and the rate of pay has stagnated for about the last 50 years more or less.

This attitude of "Fuck you, I got mine" so prevalent and predictable from some people is incredibly short sighted to say the least. Because that will come around to bite them in the ass when the help they will need in the future will be entirely unavailable to them because the younger generations who typically provide that help will be unable to do so. There just won't be the resources available.

We really, really need to cool it with "Gen Z and Millennials are whiny, entitled, broke ass losers" and "everything is the fault of boomers". Generational warfare helps no one. Instead, what we need to be doing is uniting as a solid front against the 1% who are hoarding wealth to such an extreme that the Gilded Age and the robber barons seem like practice runs. This whole generational warfare we've got going on? Yeah, that was intentionally and deliberately fomented to divide people and keep them fighting with one another instead of focusing on the real problem. Because when people unite, shit gets done and the average worker is made better for it. That's why unions were created in the first place.

I mentioned in a previous thread that I am quite comfortable and the only reason I am able to be so is that I hit a particular window in history that made that possible. It was pure luck. Have I worked hard and diligently in my life? Hell yes I have. Are my younger counterparts working any less hard or diligently than I did? Hell no they are not! In fact, they are working much harder than I did at their age and coming away with less than what I did. That's intolerable and unacceptable to me. A person should be able to work a single, 40 hour job and afford rent, food, comprehensive and useful healthcare, utilities, clothing, a vehicle, the pleasures of life, AND be able to save. The fact that they cannot because a system designed to deliberately keep them poor and struggling is being loudly cheered for by the least educated among us should be reason enough to be pissed off.

And they are pissed off and I do not blame them one bit. They were lied to and misled their whole lives. "Go in to extreme debt for an education. Get a job. Work hard. You'll get ahead" is what they were told. So they did...and they aren't getting ahead. They are, in fact, sliding backwards. They have every right to decry how fucked up that situation is. Now that they have done so, I suggest educating, organizing, and unionizing. Form a union for every workplace.

Mar 2, 2024, 10:10
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 10:10
Mar 2, 2024, 10:10

Gee. Invest in people who create nothing, cause division, damage products, hurt the entire industry? I wonder why nobody gives a shit.

If you're supporting the DEI hires, you're supporting the Hollywoodificiation of video games with less diversity, more religious-like preaching.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Mar 2, 2024, 09:50
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 09:50
Mar 2, 2024, 09:50

Confucius say, "You no work--ee, you no eat-ee!" Wisdom of the ages. Basically, for most, life is a baffling enigma--inscrutable until you hit 30 or so--and then, gradually, enlightenment begins to dawn. After 40, it feels as though you have life by the tail, but somewhere close to 60 you begin to learn that life has you by the tail, instead. In school, through college, we learn all about how the world would/should function ideally, and after that we spend inordinate amounts of time experiencing the fact that often reality never went to school or college, and we waste vast amounts of time trying to reconcile reality with our classical educations. And then it's time to shuffle off this mortal coil!...;) Things are much easier to bear, however, if one's attitude is that the cup of life is always half full instead of half empty. That's my cup of tea, straight from the lexicon of Confucius! (Did you hear the Confucius lecture on, "What Happen when woman fly in airplane upside down?" That's a keeper! What a gem.)
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Mar 2, 2024, 09:42
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 09:42
Mar 2, 2024, 09:42

“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Mar 2, 2024, 08:58
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 08:58
Mar 2, 2024, 08:58

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 08:11:
Love to see all the old fogey boomers in here all like, "jUst WoRk hArdER! 🤪". Shut the fuck up.
The statement, "Lose your job, just get another one."
Ranks right up there with, "Need an abortion, just go out of state.."
Like I said, the lack of empathy spewed by some of the usual suspects around here never ceases to amaze.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Mar 2, 2024, 08:37
Prez

Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 08:37
Mar 2, 2024, 08:37
 Prez

One person said that, and he is known very well for his lack of logic and empathy. Not sure why you are angry and yelling at us old fogey boomers when we didn't say anything.

I can't read what Roguesix wrote because I have him ignored, so maybe it's 2, but regardless, perhaps some perspective might be in order nonetheless.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 2, 2024, 08:11
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 2, 2024, 08:11
Mar 2, 2024, 08:11

Love to see all the old fogey boomers in here all like, "jUst WoRk hArdER! 🤪". Shut the fuck up.

Mar 1, 2024, 21:57
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 1, 2024, 21:57
Mar 1, 2024, 21:57

"lEaRn tO cOdE!1!!111!"

Mar 1, 2024, 21:50
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 1, 2024, 21:50
Mar 1, 2024, 21:50

-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Mar 1, 2024, 21:23
Re: Evening Interviews Mar 1, 2024, 21:23
Mar 1, 2024, 21:23

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older