16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Biz Buzz
Mar 2, 2024, 12:06
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 2, 2024, 12:06
Mar 2, 2024, 12:06

Bumpy wrote on Mar 1, 2024, 21:58:
Anyone that says they are just as productive at home as in a work office environment are lying to themselves.

Allow me to disagree. Heavily.

1) no more commute! That mean I can work longer hours without it feeling longer

2) an actual setup to work. My company, like most in major cities, has shifted to hoteling, meaning I am in a different desk every day. This means inevitably I don't have things I need all the time. No chance of a whiteboard having your project on it for days, let alone weeks

3) if you need to create a PowerPoint deck or Excel spreadsheet, an office is a terrible environment

4) nearly any F500 is multi office these days. I spend my mornings on calls with people in Europe, my afternoons with people in SF, and my midday on calls with both. When I'm in the office, I'm sitting at a desk talking to a screen, with people 3 feet to my right, left, front and back all doing the same. It's loud

5) even worse, with conference rooms so hard to book, often some of those people may even be on the same call as me

6) open laptops in a live meeting is rude. But on a virtual one, normal. So, I am reachable in meetings while at home. And, when the meeting shifts to a topic I'm not really a part of, I answer emails. And, if a meeting ends early, I'm free. In the office I'm running from conference room to conference room, meaning many meetings start late because someone was waiting for an elevator, and some days I check my email or messages once from 9 through 5.

7) I had my dishwasher repaired last week. It required me to be away from my desk for 10 minutes. In the before times, I'd have taken off of work.

What the office is great at is water cooler type discussions. The bumping into someone you've not seen in months and quickly mentioning something to them that they actually have an answer to. Or building a relationship (30 minutes in person is like 4 months in virtual time for a relationship.) Or helping more junior employees learn the culture and see a wider bit of the business than their role allows, or being visible to execs.

But, for me? I get nothing accomplished in the office

Mar 2, 2024, 11:50
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 2, 2024, 11:50
Mar 2, 2024, 11:50

WaltSee wrote on Mar 2, 2024, 10:09:
All these people laid off as Bidenomics continues to wreak inflationary havoc in the American economy, and the people who should consider themselves lucky to have a job today are up in arms because the boss insists that they show up for work! Perhaps a few years in the unemployment lines will give these folks some much-needed perspective.

Can you tell me specifically which Biden policies you perceived as causing the layoffs?

Or just explain to me specifically what the defining policies in Bidenomics are?

Again, with specifics. Because otherwise, it sounds as if you're using a meaningless buzzword

removed
Mar 2, 2024, 10:09
removed Mar 2, 2024, 10:09
Mar 2, 2024, 10:09

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Mar 2, 2024, 12:52. Reason: Political shitpost: episode infinity
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Mar 2, 2024, 08:57
Prez

Re: Biz Buzz Mar 2, 2024, 08:57
Mar 2, 2024, 08:57
 Prez

I was a maintenance man by trade so it was a moot point, but I still don't believe that the average person is more productive at home. I have seen too many people screwing off when they should be working for me to buy that.

That said, productivity might not improve, but employee happiness and fewer auto emissions definitely will, so it's still worth considering. It's just that I have had friends in supervisor and management positions that couldn't keep their people working at the office without constant oversight. To think that they would work harder at home just doesn't make sense.

I'm sure that most people think they are more productive, but that just doesn't seem likely to be the case. Human nature didn't just suddenly change while I was wasn't looking did it?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 2, 2024, 08:24
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 2, 2024, 08:24
Mar 2, 2024, 08:24

Anyone that says they are just as productive at home as in a work office environment are lying to themselves.
Plenty of studies have shown that productivity goes up, as does mental health, as wfh provides a better work-life balance. For most in tech who are not management level, having to go into an office is incredibly detrimental to productivity. These type of people typically have personalities that benefit from long periods of focus time, and the constant distractions and disruptions from an uncomfortable office environment have a huge negative impact on the ability for these personality types to get much of any work done. It's loud, it's bright, it's a huge pain to commute two hours every day draining your energy before you even get to your desk... To a software engineer, that is extremely taxing. But those who crave a lot of personal contact can never understand. Those types of people don't typically get into this type of career path either though.

Mar 1, 2024, 22:03
Prez

Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 22:03
Mar 1, 2024, 22:03
 Prez

I wouldn't quite go that far but suffice it to say that I have serious doubts about the claim. Everyone says that they are more productive at home but yeah, I am not buying it...
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 1, 2024, 21:58
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 21:58
Mar 1, 2024, 21:58

Mar 1, 2024, 21:26
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 21:26
Mar 1, 2024, 21:26

Xero wrote on Mar 1, 2024, 18:59:
Oh and to add to this hot topic. I'll say, no matter what you say, productivity isn't the same working at home vs an office. YOUR productivity may be the same or better, but the overall productivity company wise takes a dip. I can honestly say, I'm one of the best productivity wise in my department. There is only 1 other equal to me and the rest aren't even close. That said, I KNOW my productivity goes down working from home. The truth is in the numbers and it shows. I do a decent amount less from home than in the office. There are just too many ways to get distracted in comparison to the office.

It’s the total opposite for me. I get way more done when working from home because people like to talk to me in the office (about stuff unrelated to work). The last time I was there, one of my 4 managers dragged out a story about himself for over an hour and the whole time all I was thinking about was when he will stop. So yeah, I guess it depends on the job and the people

Mar 1, 2024, 18:59
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 18:59
Mar 1, 2024, 18:59

Oh and to add to this hot topic. I'll say, no matter what you say, productivity isn't the same working at home vs an office. YOUR productivity may be the same or better, but the overall productivity company wise takes a dip. I can honestly say, I'm one of the best productivity wise in my department. There is only 1 other equal to me and the rest aren't even close. That said, I KNOW my productivity goes down working from home. The truth is in the numbers and it shows. I do a decent amount less from home than in the office. There are just too many ways to get distracted in comparison to the office.

Mar 1, 2024, 18:55
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 18:55
Mar 1, 2024, 18:55

My job has a 2 days work from home being Monday and Friday, the other 3 in. You can still go to the office on those 2 days that they allow us to work from home and there are a few that still go in on Monday and Friday. They prefer the office as opposed to in-home distractions or even the lack of interaction of working at home.

I'll say, I honestly like a hybrid type. Working from home during covid was rather boring for me anyway. It's like, wake up, roll over to laptop, work. If I had no where to go that day, it would then be, finish work, get away from laptop, eat dinner, maybe shower (lol), play a game, go to sleep, rinse and repeat the next day. Not exactly eventful.

I like the balance of working from home on Monday where you avoid that, ugh, hate driving to work Monday right after the weekend traffic, and then the wild nuts leaving work Friday afternoon driving like aholes to get home early. Though I still enjoy being in the office Tues-Thurs. There is nothing like human interaction and that's coming from an introvert, lol.

Mar 1, 2024, 18:29
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 18:29
Mar 1, 2024, 18:29

RogueSix wrote on Mar 1, 2024, 16:43:
Then go get a different job (or no job) you cry babies where you can sit at home and jerk off all day. Sheesh. The fucking entitlement is un-fucking-real.

Is fapping on cam a viable career path for most though? I mean, if I can pull down even a high 5 figures doing that you can sign me up for that right now. How about circle jerk cams at the office as a way to supplement income?
Biker

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Mar 1, 2024, 18:26
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 18:26
Mar 1, 2024, 18:26

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 1, 2024, 15:03:
We've proven offices are irrelevant, disruptive, and damaging to the environment. When are billionaires going to chillax?

When they stop owning all that real estate those offices are in and on?
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Mar 1, 2024, 18:22
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 18:22
Mar 1, 2024, 18:22

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 1, 2024, 15:03:
We've proven offices are irrelevant, disruptive, and damaging to the environment. When are billionaires going to chillax?

I don't agree with this argument. There is a definite benefit of having people walking up to someone's office and discussing something on the whiteboard. The type of information and perspective exchange that happens in person is very different from the one that can happen online. It's especially brutal for new employees whose only interactions can be online.

The key here is flexibility. Setting up a rule is fine, as long as there is total flexibility in how the employees can come and go during the day or not come at all. Good managers can build such environments. Of course I am talking about positions where you can have flexibility in both time of day and working remotely.

Mar 1, 2024, 16:46
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 16:46
Mar 1, 2024, 16:46

Some overpayed useless executive probably walked through the empty offices and wondered why they are paying so much.

Instead of doing the right thing they ordered everyone back to the office.

The problem is the executives who can't see any other way of running their business.

Mar 1, 2024, 16:43
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 16:43
Mar 1, 2024, 16:43

Then go get a different job (or no job) you cry babies where you can sit at home and jerk off all day. Sheesh. The fucking entitlement is un-fucking-real.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Mar 1, 2024, 15:03
Re: Biz Buzz Mar 1, 2024, 15:03
Mar 1, 2024, 15:03

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older