Out of the Blue

Merriam-Webster says you can end a sentence with a preposition. The internet goes off (thanks RedEye9). Well, the internet has a hair-trigger. Merriam-Webster is correct, of course, there is no "rule" about this, just as many other so-called grammar rules are more like suggestions. But it's a good tip to avoid awkwardness. As I like to joke: Never end a sentence where a preposition is at.

Prepositional Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Story

Science

Media

Creature Features

View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Where it's at
Mar 3, 2024, 14:19
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 3, 2024, 14:19
Mar 3, 2024, 14:19

Okay that passenger landing the plane video was gripping. Those of us who know a little bit about airplanes like to fantasize we could do that, but man, it's not that easy. Especially when you have the life of your family in your hands and there's the dead body of the pilot trying to slump over the controls on approach. Excellent job by everyone involved.

I think I could land a small aircraft, like a piper cub, if I had to, even without help, but this thing is a twin engine turbo prop. That's a whole other bronco to ride. I was terrified when he had to switch radio frequencies.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Mar 2, 2024, 01:22
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 2, 2024, 01:22
Mar 2, 2024, 01:22

"A burrito of great heft is not something with which to fuck around." <---Sounds ominous and as if it is being spoken by a man deeply learned in the ways of the occult.

"A big ass burrito ain't somethin' to fuck around with." <---Guaranteed this guy is getting absolutely slaughtered by zombies in the first three minutes of any horror movie.

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mar 1, 2024, 23:21
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 23:21
Mar 1, 2024, 23:21

Prez wrote on Mar 1, 2024, 22:25:
Woman 1: "Who did you go to the movies with?"

Woman 2: "Don't end a sentence with a preposition."

Woman 1: "Who did you go to the movies with, bitch?"

hahaha XD

i get it, ending in preps sound awkward, but in some cases like this, the 'correct' grammar sounds just as awkward to me - 'with whom did you go to the movies?' and as a writer i'll always err towards the more natural sounding language - the fucked up version that every idiot uses.

Mar 1, 2024, 22:25
Prez

Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 22:25
Mar 1, 2024, 22:25
 Prez

Woman 1: "Who did you go to the movies with?"

Woman 2: "Don't end a sentence with a preposition."

Woman 1: "Who did you go to the movies with, bitch?"
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 1, 2024, 18:39
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 18:39
Mar 1, 2024, 18:39

No one fucking cares what Alzheimer's - or any other disease or condition - actually is, they just want a preventative treatment and/or cure. Might not be a disease? Great! So what the fuck is it and how do you stop it? How?! Hrm HOW?!

Oh yeah, and in case anyone is curious I did buy a jar of honey from Ukraine today because fuck Putin - and I needed honey.
Middlefinger

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2024, 19:54.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Mar 1, 2024, 18:10
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 18:10
Mar 1, 2024, 18:10

A simple research of descriptive versus prescriptive language will answer this rather simple argument.

Mar 1, 2024, 17:08
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 17:08
Mar 1, 2024, 17:08

The most important thing to remember is that all "language scholars" are nothing more than historians. They don't set any rules, they either record how language is used by cultures and people in practice, or they dream wondrous dreams of having some sort of control over how the 7.5 billion other humans communicate.
I should be coding.

Mar 1, 2024, 16:38
PHJF

Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 16:38
Mar 1, 2024, 16:38
 PHJF

I was discussing this very topic with somebody in the office this morning.

I am a rules guy and believe language should have rigid structure and rules: I want to learn them once and forget about it because to me language is just a means to an end. In the same vein, I believe everyone on the planet should adopt the same language: translation and miscommunication due to language barriers is a huge waste of resources.

He argued that language is NOT a set of rules: language is just a model of otherwise natural communication behaviors that are inherently subject to change and evolution. If somebody is using language "incorrectly" according to the current model of said language, it isn't the language that is incorrect but rather the model of the language.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Mar 1, 2024, 16:28
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 16:28
Mar 1, 2024, 16:28

when I was learning english, my english teacher said "Do not confuse American with English."

since I am neither I cannot truly relate. Plus he turned out to be a bit of a homophobe, which made for interesting lessons, he didnt know I was 'one of those pansies'.
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mar 1, 2024, 15:16
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 15:16
Mar 1, 2024, 15:16

Caught say of?
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Mar 1, 2024, 14:13
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 14:13
Mar 1, 2024, 14:13

Angry Joe and gang review Dune 2. They loved it and gave it a 10/10, but disliked Christoper Walken as emperor Shaddam IV.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Mar 1, 2024, 12:36
Re: OotB: Where it's at Mar 1, 2024, 12:36
Mar 1, 2024, 12:36

Pilot Debrief mentions another video where an American Airlines pilot slumps over during takeoff. The co-pilot took over and the plane landed safely.
In that AA video I learned that there is a separate steering wheel for the nose wheel that is only accessible to the pilot. After landing they removed the pilot and the copipilot taxied the jet to the gate, it was still faster than bringing out a stair truck and paramedics to the aircraft.
Filed under- Now We Know Why They Wear a Bedsheet
GOP candidate for Missouri governor outed as KKK member after cross burning photo emerges
Darrell McClanahan, the Ku Klux Klan wannabe doesn't deny the photo, but instead hand waves it away saying "that he was strictly an "honorary" KKK member — not a full member — and that the photo showed a "Christian Identity Cross lighting ceremony" instead of a full-fledged KKK cross burning ceremony."
Good luck little buddy, you'll be qualified as a master spin class instructor if you can pull that off.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older