Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers?

This x-tweet from Pilestedt has news from the Arrowhead Studios creative director on changes expected to allow up to 800,000 simultaneous players in Helldivers 2. This seems to have worked, as a follow-up from a few hours ago indicates the developer feels it has finally overcome the capacity issues that have plagued the third-person shooter sequel since its launch:
I'm really happy and proud of the @arrowheadgs team for an amazing Achievement, the servers handled all @helldivers2 players this weekend without problem.

Now we have time to focus on improvements to the title and resume our original plan. Many exciting things upcoming!
View : : :
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Randoms
Feb 27, 2024, 00:44
Re: Randoms Feb 27, 2024, 00:44
Feb 27, 2024, 00:44

budrojr wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 22:36:
I have played thus far exclusively with randoms and have yet to run across a single instance where i was griefed. I think some people are greatly over exaggerating this issue. Assholes are always gonna asshole, and there is literally no incentive to griefing. They're not just hurting you, they're hurting their own xp and money by lowering the overall reward at the end of the mission. Why invest 20 to 30 mins into a game only to shoot yourself in the foot on the reward at the very end? If people don't want you on their team you've probably proven to not be ready to play at the level they play at, are dumb, an asshole, or they just want a slot open specifically for a friend. If you're having a bad time with certain people, just block them and move on to one of the other 5 million people currently playing the game. Bitching about your bad experiences (incorrectly, I observe) is not a good look.

Yeah, that's like expecting griefing to not exist in any multiplayer game ever. Griefing for the sake of griefing has existed forever since the start of multiplayer gaming and for those of us who have actually played the game on here, we seem to have experienced very little griefing in our random public games. It'd be like telling people not to ever play World of Warcraft, Everquest, Counter-Strike, Quake 1/2, TF2 or Unreal Tournament because people can and have found ways to grief others in those multiplayer games before.

I know that kick/griefing exists in Helldivers 2, but I'm pretty sure that it's a minority and rare outlier. As budrojr has mentioned, it makes absolutely NO sense why people would want to kick people at the end since it actually punishes everyone with less XP and/or resources. If it ever becomes a big issue, I'm sure that Arrowhead Studios will swoop in to make Kicking vote-based rather than host-based. They seem pretty quick about implementing much needed features (such as idle-kicking).

Randoms
Feb 26, 2024, 22:36
Randoms Feb 26, 2024, 22:36
Feb 26, 2024, 22:36

I have played thus far exclusively with randoms and have yet to run across a single instance where i was griefed. I think some people are greatly over exaggerating this issue. Assholes are always gonna asshole, and there is literally no incentive to griefing. They're not just hurting you, they're hurting their own xp and money by lowering the overall reward at the end of the mission. Why invest 20 to 30 mins into a game only to shoot yourself in the foot on the reward at the very end? If people don't want you on their team you've probably proven to not be ready to play at the level they play at, are dumb, an asshole, or they just want a slot open specifically for a friend. If you're having a bad time with certain people, just block them and move on to one of the other 5 million people currently playing the game. Bitching about your bad experiences (incorrectly, I observe) is not a good look.

Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers?
Feb 26, 2024, 21:37
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 21:37
Feb 26, 2024, 21:37

intermarer wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 03:35:
Jim wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 02:59:
intermarer wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 01:48:
I find it a bit annoying how much success this shit game has had. It's not a good game in any way. It's not well made, it's using a garbage engine, horrible optimization, buggy as hell, no end-game content to speak of, +++. The only thing it gets right is the Starship Troopers theme and partly the gunplay.
So you’re playing it and you don’t like it? Or is this just your opinion based on what you read?
37 hours in.
You played a bad game for 37 hours? 🤣

Feb 26, 2024, 21:35
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 21:35
Feb 26, 2024, 21:35

RogueSix wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 17:16:
Just trying to warn others to do their research before falling for the popularity hype. If you have coop buddies then the game can obviously be a lot of fun as long as you don't hit one of the bugs. But for randoms who rely on the matchmaking this game is obviously a cesspit by all accounts.

I'm only trying to educate and not deter. If anyone thinks the problems are surely exaggerated, well, go ahead and find out for yourself. I'm just putting the info out there that blindly purchasing into the hype could potentially end up in buyer's remorse if you play with randoms who kick you or kill you for the lulz.

I was just sharing my experience as someone who is a random and who got attracted to the game (or more precisely into doing research on the game) because of its popularity. I quickly found out that if you look below the popularity surface there are many glaring issues, especially for the poor sobs who rely on the public matchmaking.

I hate when games waste your time and one thing I always hated when I was a more avid MP gamer back in the day was the fact that, even with friends or clan buddies, it sometimes took many play sessions before you had a really good run. If I had to estimate then I would say that only about 1/10 game sessions was truly awesome, another 1 or 2 were pretty fun and the rest of 7 - 8 were between mediocre and crap because someone's cat was sick or their girlfriend needed attention or because two buddies got into a fight over nothing or because someone didn't even show up in the first place... or... or... or...

So, sorry but not sorry, a game where you can maybe finish 1/5 missions without kicking/disconnecting/PK'ing/griefing is not my cup of tea. It's a waste of my time. YMMV and that's cool. Just telling my story and how I arrived at the decision to give this game a hard pass. That's what discussion forums are for. Anyone can make of it whatever they want and they can follow your example and think I'm a dumbass or whatever. Don't care .
Completely and factually wrong to the point of being willfully disingenuous. You can't extrapolate from a few posts to the entire community. I exclusively play with randoms and very rarely run into toxicity. This is the very definition of making a mountain out of a molehill that you never even saw with your own eyes.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2024, 00:07.

Feb 26, 2024, 17:16
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 17:16
Feb 26, 2024, 17:16

Teddy wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 16:04:
RogueSix wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 13:15:

From less than five minutes of browsing the Steam forums:

- Kicking Issues #1
- Kicking Issues #2
- Kicking Issues #3
- Don't play if you have no friends
- Kicking Issues #4
- Kicking Issues #5
- Friendly Fire Griefing
- Randoms are just ***** weird
- Kicking Issues #6
- Kicking Issues #7
- The game is full of cheaters
- Is griefing the new trend?
- Kicking Issues #8
- Kicking Issues #9
- Kicking Issues #10

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. The game is obviously a complete cesspit in case you do not have friends and/or a coop group. It is a total nightmare for randoms (which I would be). Also, we haven't even started on the amount of posts with complaints about server/connection issues, crashes, gamebreaking bugs in the missions/progression area, balancing issues, yada, yada, yada...

Sincerely yours,

Donald J. T.

And here's the part where I point out there are >16,000 posts on that forum and you cited <0.1% of them.

That's why I said "tip of the iceberg". Just ask the captain of the Titanic (or the ghost of him) how relevant that tip is . There are hundreds more posts on how shitty the game is for RANDOMS.

Clearly it must be a problem EVERYONE is having. So again, you're overreacting and spewing nonsense based on something a tiny fraction of the community has experienced. Don't want to play the game? Then don't, but blatantly lying about things in the hopes of stopping anyone else who might have actually enjoyed the game from trying it? No, I'll go ahead and call you out on that every time you spew this kind of sensationalist garbage.

Just trying to warn others to do their research before falling for the popularity hype. If you have coop buddies then the game can obviously be a lot of fun as long as you don't hit one of the bugs. But for randoms who rely on the matchmaking this game is obviously a cesspit by all accounts.

I'm only trying to educate and not deter. If anyone thinks the problems are surely exaggerated, well, go ahead and find out for yourself. I'm just putting the info out there that blindly purchasing into the hype could potentially end up in buyer's remorse if you play with randoms who kick you or kill you for the lulz.

I was just sharing my experience as someone who is a random and who got attracted to the game (or more precisely into doing research on the game) because of its popularity. I quickly found out that if you look below the popularity surface there are many glaring issues, especially for the poor sobs who rely on the public matchmaking.

I hate when games waste your time and one thing I always hated when I was a more avid MP gamer back in the day was the fact that, even with friends or clan buddies, it sometimes took many play sessions before you had a really good run. If I had to estimate then I would say that only about 1/10 game sessions was truly awesome, another 1 or 2 were pretty fun and the rest of 7 - 8 were between mediocre and crap because someone's cat was sick or their girlfriend needed attention or because two buddies got into a fight over nothing or because someone didn't even show up in the first place... or... or... or...

So, sorry but not sorry, a game where you can maybe finish 1/5 missions without kicking/disconnecting/PK'ing/griefing is not my cup of tea. It's a waste of my time. YMMV and that's cool. Just telling my story and how I arrived at the decision to give this game a hard pass. That's what discussion forums are for. Anyone can make of it whatever they want and they can follow your example and think I'm a dumbass or whatever. Don't care .
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Feb 26, 2024, 17:04
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 17:04
Feb 26, 2024, 17:04

Teddy wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 16:04:

- Kicking Issues #1
- Kicking Issues #2
- Kicking Issues #3
- Kicking Issues #4
- Kicking Issues #5
- Friendly Fire Griefing
- Kicking Issues #6
- Kicking Issues #7
- Kicking Issues #8
- Kicking Issues #9
- Kicking Issues #10

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. The game is obviously a complete cesspit in case you do not have friends and/or a coop group. It is a total nightmare for randoms (which I would be). Also, we haven't even started on the amount of posts with complaints about server/connection issues, crashes, gamebreaking bugs in the missions/progression area, balancing issues, yada, yada, yada...

Sincerely yours,

Donald J. T.

And here's the part where I point out there are >16,000 posts on that forum and you cited <0.1% of them. Clearly it must be a problem EVERYONE is having. So again, you're overreacting and spewing nonsense based on something a tiny fraction of the community has experienced. Don't want to play the game? Then don't, but blatantly lying about things in the hopes of stopping anyone else who might have actually enjoyed the game from trying it? No, I'll go ahead and call you out on that every time you spew this kind of sensationalist garbage.

Yeah he clearly has no idea what he's talking about. And boiling down EVERYONE's experience to a few posts on the Steam forums (which is laughable itself given how much of a constantly misinformed cesspool the Steam forums usually are) is absolutely ridiculous.

I have 59 hours of Helldivers 2 so far, playing both with friends and pubbies and I have yet to experience a single case of anyone kicking me at the end of a match for Samples (which is the correct term). In fact, it makes absolutely NO sense why anyone would do this in the first place since Samples are party-wide shared when anyone picks them up. The only single time I've ever been kicked was on the ship prior to the match starting and I can attribute that to the host wanting a spot open for their friend (which they could have easily done if they made the session "Friends Only").

As for future content, there is actually a lot that the devs could add from Helldivers 1 (which they seem to be hinting at). They've already had a sneak peak video of the incoming Mech stratagem and there was a ton of weapons, packs and vehicles from HD1 that they could add. They also have an entirely new enemy faction from HD1 that they could add in a surprise big patch once players liberate more outer-rim planets (and there's even an easter egg mentioning that faction in one of the in-game ship broadcasts). Now that they've stabilized the servers, the CEO said that they can start working on the new content that they had in their plans from the beginning.

Feb 26, 2024, 16:04
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 16:04
Feb 26, 2024, 16:04

- Kicking Issues #1
- Kicking Issues #2
- Kicking Issues #3
- Kicking Issues #4
- Kicking Issues #5
- Friendly Fire Griefing
- Kicking Issues #6
- Kicking Issues #7
- Kicking Issues #8
- Kicking Issues #9
- Kicking Issues #10

Sincerely yours,

Donald J. T.

And here's the part where I point out there are >16,000 posts on that forum and you cited <0.1% of them. Clearly it must be a problem EVERYONE is having. So again, you're overreacting and spewing nonsense based on something a tiny fraction of the community has experienced. Don't want to play the game? Then don't, but blatantly lying about things in the hopes of stopping anyone else who might have actually enjoyed the game from trying it? No, I'll go ahead and call you out on that every time you spew this kind of sensationalist garbage.

Feb 26, 2024, 13:47
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 13:47
Feb 26, 2024, 13:47

While that is something that people could do to you especially at the end of the mission. "If the host crashes while you're on the ship, everyone gets booted back to their own ships. If they crash during the mission, the host migrates to someone else." Which is taken directly from an answer from the Randoms are just ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ weird thread. It seems people are killing others to take there samples because they do not know they are shared. One of the biggest gripes I have about the game is they don't really explain a whole lot of the mechanics the information for some of the stratagems is to vague the weapons descriptions on some of the guns are wrong. Its not anything that cant be fixed, I understand they had bigger fist to fry first but they really need to start fixing some of this stuff sooner rather than later. There is no endgame its just a hamster wheel, which is the same problem with Darktide but they did add in skill trees now and they have random rolls for guns at least, Helldivers doesn't even have that.

Feb 26, 2024, 13:15
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 13:15
Feb 26, 2024, 13:15

Teddy wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 12:13:
RogueSix wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 11:03:
I find it a bit annoying how much success this shit game has had. It's not a good game in any way. It's not well made, it's using a garbage engine, horrible optimization, buggy as hell, no end-game content to speak of, +++. The only thing it gets right is the Starship Troopers theme and partly the gunplay.

Right on, bro! Tell it like it is!

That said, the game piqued my interest because of its mega popularity, even though I'm usually not a multiplayer dudebro. A quick research via the Steam forums put a quick end to that interest. It is apparently the hot shit in this game right now to either kill or kick all team members right before the end of a mission so everyone loses the... umm... I forgot... whatever the fuck it is that you collect on a mission, let's call them shrooms. The end result is that every single mission is a huge waste of time. You can not get shit done because of the trolls and you lose your shrooms.

So, the recommendation by people on the forums is you either play with your friends or you do not play at all. I have no friends. I will not play this game at all.
I will not pay €30 to act as cannon fodder for trolls and to be cheated out of my yummy shrooms. The public experience with randos is supposed to be a nightmare of griefing right now. Exactly the main issue I have with all MP games and why I have not been interested in joining any MP game in many years. Apparently, shit never changes. Which is not too surprising because human nature never changes. Fuck. That. Shit.

Every single mission? Are you seriously delusional enough to think it happens on EVERY SINGLE MISSION? You think there are hundreds of thousands of people playing the game who are all getting screwed over every single mission and yet they keep playing? There are some assholes out there, sure, but by and large the game and its community are fine. This "Supposedly it's a nightmare of griefing!" is nonsense that you're spewing having never even played the game. Given that, your opinion is hardly even worth airing to anyone else, much less listening to.

Jesus, listen to yourself dude. Straight from the "I did my own research!" spiel to the "EVERYTHING IS HORRIBLE AND EVERYONE HATES IT!" garbage. Might as well call you Trump. "People are saying the griefing is everywhere! You can't get away from it. Lots of people are saying it! The bigliest of people! Tremendous griefing!" What people? Who is saying this? How many? There are at this moment, 200k people playing the game just on Steam alone. 450k peak last night. You saw what... 5 people complain about this? 10?

Yeah, yeah, you are probably one of those people who want innocent cute little bunnies like me to sign up just so I can be your personal cannon fodder but I'm not falling for it! The griefers are always the most vocal ones when it comes to denying any issues. I think you have just been exposed, dude. Butt-nekkid, too! Zzzzzziiiiiinnng.

Seriously, where there is smoke, there is fire. Just check the Monday news here on Blue's News for confirmation that I'm not making shit up.
As a random player with no friends, you can forget about this game because you will constantly get kicked or killed by trolls. Just like it has always been since the beginning of time of online gaming, unless the devs put safeguards in place, which Arrowhead have apparently not gotten around to yet (and maybe never will because they do not consider anything wrong with their game).

- Kicking Issues #1
- Kicking Issues #2
- Kicking Issues #3
- Kicking Issues #4
- Kicking Issues #5
- Friendly Fire Griefing
- Kicking Issues #6
- Kicking Issues #7
- Kicking Issues #8
- Kicking Issues #9
- Kicking Issues #10

Sincerely yours,

Donald J. T.

Feb 26, 2024, 12:13
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 12:13
Feb 26, 2024, 12:13

RogueSix wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 11:03:

That said, the game piqued my interest because of its mega popularity, even though I'm usually not a multiplayer dudebro. A quick research via the Steam forums put a quick end to that interest. It is apparently the hot shit in this game right now to either kill or kick all team members right before the end of a mission so everyone loses the... umm... I forgot... whatever the fuck it is that you collect on a mission, let's call them shrooms. The end result is that every single mission is a huge waste of time. You can not get shit done because of the trolls and you lose your shrooms.

So, the recommendation by people on the forums is you either play with your friends or you do not play at all. I have no friends. I will not play this game at all.
I will not pay €30 to act as cannon fodder for trolls and to be cheated out of my yummy shrooms. The public experience with randos is supposed to be a nightmare of griefing right now. Exactly the main issue I have with all MP games and why I have not been interested in joining any MP game in many years. Apparently, shit never changes. Which is not too surprising because human nature never changes. Fuck. That. Shit.

Every single mission? Are you seriously delusional enough to think it happens on EVERY SINGLE MISSION? You think there are hundreds of thousands of people playing the game who are all getting screwed over every single mission and yet they keep playing? There are some assholes out there, sure, but by and large the game and its community are fine. This "Supposedly it's a nightmare of griefing!" is nonsense that you're spewing having never even played the game. Given that, your opinion is hardly even worth airing to anyone else, much less listening to.

Jesus, listen to yourself dude. Straight from the "I did my own research!" spiel to the "EVERYTHING IS HORRIBLE AND EVERYONE HATES IT!" garbage. Might as well call you Trump. "People are saying the griefing is everywhere! You can't get away from it. Lots of people are saying it! The bigliest of people! Tremendous griefing!" What people? Who is saying this? How many? There are at this moment, 200k people playing the game just on Steam alone. 450k peak last night. You saw what... 5 people complain about this? 10?

Feb 26, 2024, 11:03
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 11:03
Feb 26, 2024, 11:03

Feb 26, 2024, 10:35
Brym

Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 10:35
Feb 26, 2024, 10:35
 Brym

Two things that I think Helldivers does really well are the particle effects when you shoot the baddies and the sound design. The particle effects make shooting the enemies really satisfying as you see pieces of them flying everywhere. The sound design gives all of the shooting and explosions a lot of oomph. And the music kicks in at the right moments to make everything feel epic.

I'm only about 5 hours in and while I don't necessarily see myself playing this for 100 hours or anything, I'm definitely going to get my money's worth out of it and I'm having an absolute blast so far. The community has also been surprisingly decent so far, especially for a game with friendly fire.

Feb 26, 2024, 10:31
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 10:31
Feb 26, 2024, 10:31

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 07:16:
The problem with games like these is they are well designed, but missing content. It's the same with Darktide. That's probably the best horde shooter to come out since L4D, and yet after about 20 hours with that game I have no desire to go back to it, despite how well it played. The limited number of missions made it tedious instead of fun and varied. At least in helldivers the maps for the missions are procedurally generated, so there is that I guess. But from what I've seen it might suffer from the same problem Darktide has. Lack of content in mission variety, enemies etc.
Once you've seen it all there is little desire to go back and play it. This is why I'm stoked for Space Marine 2, at least it's going to have a story line that will be worth going through, which I kind of miss in all of these games, and I hoped that Darktide would have. (It's storyline is about as vague as it could get)

Thats been my concern as well (on top of the other big ones with HD2). I haven't played Darktide in months, not even to try whatever was the last big patch that changed the class/skills system. I can't remember but I think I only got one class, the vet up to 27/28 out of 30 levels. Fun game but eh, there are other things to play.

Feb 26, 2024, 07:16
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 07:16
Feb 26, 2024, 07:16

The problem with games like these is they are well designed, but missing content. It's the same with Darktide. That's probably the best horde shooter to come out since L4D, and yet after about 20 hours with that game I have no desire to go back to it, despite how well it played. The limited number of missions made it tedious instead of fun and varied. At least in helldivers the maps for the missions are procedurally generated, so there is that I guess. But from what I've seen it might suffer from the same problem Darktide has. Lack of content in mission variety, enemies etc.
Once you've seen it all there is little desire to go back and play it. This is why I'm stoked for Space Marine 2, at least it's going to have a story line that will be worth going through, which I kind of miss in all of these games, and I hoped that Darktide would have. (It's storyline is about as vague as it could get)

Feb 26, 2024, 03:35
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 03:35
Feb 26, 2024, 03:35

Jim wrote on Feb 26, 2024, 02:59:
So you’re playing it and you don’t like it? Or is this just your opinion based on what you read?
37 hours in.

Feb 26, 2024, 02:59
Jim
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 02:59
Feb 26, 2024, 02:59
Jim

Feb 26, 2024, 01:48
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 01:48
Feb 26, 2024, 01:48

Feb 25, 2024, 22:20
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 25, 2024, 22:20
Feb 25, 2024, 22:20

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 25, 2024, 18:12:
It's a little crazy to me how much success these guys have had with Helldivers 2... I think I was one of a dozen people who played Magicka 1 and 2 combined, and I know they had a few thousand players for Helldivers 1, at any given time.

I'm sure the game is good, and it looks fun, but is this success and popularity coming off of some Streamer/Youtuber/Meme bump or something?

Picked it up after I heard the servers were opening up and honestly the games are 20-40 minute chunks, the progression is decent, you get the premium currency in the game, it's stupid goofy (raising Super Earth's flag is absurd) and most of all the gun combat is simply beautiful. Even your initial assault rifle feels meaty. For 40 bucks it's a steal and totally worth playing.

It isn't quite like Left 4 Dead 2 was, but it's close.

Feb 25, 2024, 21:07
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 25, 2024, 21:07
Feb 25, 2024, 21:07

Bludd wrote on Feb 25, 2024, 18:31:
It's a little crazy to me how much success these guys have had with Helldivers 2... I think I was one of a dozen people who played Magicka 1 and 2 combined, and I know they had a few thousand players for Helldivers 1, at any given time.

I'm sure the game is good, and it looks fun, but is this success and popularity coming off of some Streamer/Youtuber/Meme bump or something?
no i think its because its not 70 bux, its frantic, cinematic action you can play with you friends (and friendly fire for the memes), it doesnt take itself too seriously and its fun pure and simple

Didn't you know? Good games don't exist anymore. Everything popular is because of influencers now, apparently.

Feb 25, 2024, 21:05
Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 25, 2024, 21:05
Feb 25, 2024, 21:05

It's successful because it's just a genuinely fun game with good content that actually focuses on being a GAME instead of hollow platform for overpriced microtransactions, coughhaloinfinitecough. There are a lot of memes about it on social media, but that follows from the former, it's not the cause.

Even so called AAAA games like Skull & Bones are put to shame by it.
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older