Nightingale Early Access

Early Access to Nightingale is now underway, offering the chance to play the survival/crafting game while Inflexion Games works on finishing up development. The Windows game is available through the Epic Games Store or Steam with a 10% launch discount, and it's also on GeForce NOW. Here's the Official Early Access Launch Trailer to set the mood with glimpses of what to expect. This post discusses the launch, while this one outlines what to expect when playing during server maintenance. Here's the pitch on the game:
Nightingale is a PVE open-world survival crafting game played solo or cooperatively with friends. Build, craft, fight and explore as you venture through mystical portals into a variety of amazing and fantastical realms.

You are stranded beyond our world, cut off by the collapse of the arcane portal network. This catastrophe has left you fighting to survive in a labyrinth of beautiful and dangerous Fae realms.

Your goal: become a skilled Realmwalker, and navigate the web of transdimensional portals. Only then can you discover your way to the magical city of Nightingale, the last known bastion of humanity.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Nightingale Early Access
Feb 21, 2024, 21:43
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 21:43
Feb 21, 2024, 21:43

nvrmnd

This comment was edited on Feb 25, 2024, 15:47.

Feb 21, 2024, 21:15
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 21:15
Feb 21, 2024, 21:15

Jim wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 10:41:
Just saying, survival games are not reality. Sure, you don't have a problem in an area you are familiar with. But your experience cannot be accepted as a general rule.

Which is the original point I made. Survival games aren't anything like reality. They are exponentially worse than reality because the devs are clueless.

Again, you are making assumptions. A good, well practiced set of survival skills is applicable literally anywhere. I've done desert, arboreal, tundra, and rainforest areas with the same set of skills. You're really talking out of your ass here as it is very clear that you are guessing at an experience you have never had.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 21, 2024, 12:52
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 12:52
Feb 21, 2024, 12:52

I see potential, but very mixed reviews.

Looks like they're shooting for a much more complex Valheim, which is my jam.

And yeah, forcing an Internet connection for single player? Hopefully they'll add an offline mode.

Wishlisted but will wait and see,
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Feb 21, 2024, 11:42
El Pit

Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 11:42
Feb 21, 2024, 11:42
 El Pit

Jim wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 10:41:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 09:52:
You are adorable with your assumptions. The most modern tool* I take is a knife made with quality steel.
Just saying, survival games are not reality. Sure, you don't have a problem in an area you are familiar with. But your experience cannot be accepted as a general rule.

Yeah, all those great adventures in the past and the young ones just won't believe them...

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Feb 21, 2024, 10:41
Jim
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 10:41
Feb 21, 2024, 10:41
Jim

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 09:52:
You are adorable with your assumptions. The most modern tool* I take is a knife made with quality steel.

Feb 21, 2024, 10:28
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 10:28
Feb 21, 2024, 10:28

I wouldn't recommend buying this game right now unless your primary reason is to support the dev. It has many issues that seem like it will take a good year or so to iron them out. But it definitely has potential to be a great game

Feb 21, 2024, 09:52
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 09:52
Feb 21, 2024, 09:52

Jim wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 08:38:
this style camping, with modern tools, has nothing to do with survival. I used to watch those survival shows and some people due to damp wood, etc, were never able to make fire after 10 days. Others struggled to find food and sometimes what they found had to be washed because of monkey poop and it still made them sick. every day would be a struggle to get ANYTHING to eat.

You are adorable with your assumptions. The most modern tool* I take is a knife made with quality steel. The difference between what I do and your example of "I watched TV shows that are totally not cut and edited for drama and market appeal" is night and day. Are there adverse conditions? Hell yeah, but that's what makes it fun! Though not a lot of monkeys that are living in the wild here in North America. Case in point, around 4 months ago I mentioned having just returned from a trip to the Appalachians to see my sister. We cheated a bit because we both brought our takedown recurves and accompanying arrows but we built our own shelter, made our own beds, hunted, trapped, and caught our own food and sourced our own water. That water was made potable by boiling in vessels we made from clay found next to a creek bed and fired in a stone kiln-type structure we built. Fire was started with a hand drill (Two pieces of wood, not a tool). All in all, I would say that out of that entire seven day period, we spent maybe a day and a half doing real, actual work. The rest of the time was spent enjoying nature, talking, kicking back and enjoying life.

In the past, I have engaged in primitive survival on multiple occasions which is much harder but it still isn't the constant grind you find in games. Knapping is kind of a grind but even that is only a couple of hours until you have usable tools that will last you for a long time if you take care of them. Twining is also tedious but still not the same level of grind. So your actual work might then be three days and that's pausing to setup snares, traps, and sourcing food. I certainly wasn't collecting 50 sticks and 30 rocks to make a functional knife or build a fire, that is for damn sure.

*The asterisk is that I always have a well appointed aid kit that I and at least one another person is well versed in how to use. Anything from a scrape up to a penetration wound is covered. Yay for TCCC training, I guess.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Feb 21, 2024, 08:38
Jim
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 08:38
Feb 21, 2024, 08:38
Jim

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 00:24:
As someone who has enjoyed going survival camping for many, many years, and led almost a dozen trips with others, you aren't struggling most of the time. You're not really struggling 50% of the time. Much of the time is spent kicking back and enjoying nature while also enjoying the fruits of your labor.
this style camping, with modern tools, has nothing to do with survival. I used to watch those survival shows and some people due to damp wood, etc, were never able to make fire after 10 days. Others struggled to find food and sometimes what they found had to be washed because of monkey poop and it still made them sick. every day would be a struggle to get ANYTHING to eat.

Feb 21, 2024, 08:11
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 08:11
Feb 21, 2024, 08:11

Another awesome addition to the Steam ignore list. So beautiful. It's really one of a kind.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Feb 21, 2024, 08:02
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 08:02
Feb 21, 2024, 08:02

Teddy wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 00:04:
smackdaddy wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 23:17:
I don’t get why people are pissed it’s online only. Don’t you have fast enough internet by now? Also it is designed to be played with people. The game doesn’t mention a single player component. If you want a single player game, buy a single player game.

Then you're not paying attention. It is in fact listed as SINGLE PLAYER on steam AND on Epic Game Store.

It is list on steam as a single player/online multiplayer game. A few words into the games games description is “venture forth alone or with friends”. Unless those friends are local coop it has to have some kind of server requirement.

Feb 21, 2024, 07:10
Prez

Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 07:10
Feb 21, 2024, 07:10
 Prez

I don't understand why people think that my internet is the only problem with this stupidity because it isn't. Don't tell me to buy a singleplayer game. It has a singleplayer mode, therefore it is a singleplayer game.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 21, 2024, 04:16
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 04:16
Feb 21, 2024, 04:16

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 00:24:
I'd love a survival game that was grindless and had actual survival mechanics in it.

Well there has to be "some" grind. But I get where you're coming from. The closest I've played is Icarus, it's not an easy game, but you only have to drink a couple of times a day and eat maybe once a day (depending on the type of food). Since it's on a foreign world you need oxygen to survive but that is relatively easy to mine and plentiful.

Feb 21, 2024, 00:40
El Pit

Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 00:40
Feb 21, 2024, 00:40
 El Pit

Teddy wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 00:27:
El Pit wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 00:23:
The modern way to disown the buyer: online only single-player gaming. This must not be supported.
Also: no Steam discussions, only pointers to off-Steam places to report bugs and so on. Another red flag. And online-only games are also often bad news for modders.

Sorry, Nightingale team, but this makes me not support you. Offline single-player gaming is not negotiable (never go down the Diablo IV route - NEVER) and allowing discussions on Steam would make you look more self-confident and show trust in your product.

What do you mean no Steam discussions? There are over 1000 posts in the general discussions section of the game on Steam right now.

You are right about there being a "general discussions" thread. Sorry, I did not make it clearer - there are not the usual bugs sub-forums. This is all hosted off-Steam so that you cannot see if other people got your bugs and what their solutions to the problems are which is... not good. Not allowing this is no good sign IMO because it hides the amount and graveness of bugs.
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Feb 21, 2024, 00:27
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 00:27
Feb 21, 2024, 00:27

El Pit wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 00:23:
The modern way to disown the buyer: online only single-player gaming. This must not be supported.
Also: no Steam discussions, only pointers to off-Steam places to report bugs and so on. Another red flag. And online-only games are also often bad news for modders.

Sorry, Nightingale team, but this makes me not support you. Offline single-player gaming is not negotiable (never go down the Diablo IV route - NEVER) and allowing discussions on Steam would make you look more self-confident and show trust in your product.

What do you mean no Steam discussions? There are over 1000 posts in the general discussions section of the game on Steam right now.

Feb 21, 2024, 00:24
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 00:24
Feb 21, 2024, 00:24

Darks wrote on Feb 21, 2024, 00:06:
...devs seem to think that playing a survival game means struggle all the time playing it.

I think devs would be better served by going to a week long survival camping school taught by a professional. As someone who has enjoyed going survival camping for many, many years, and led almost a dozen trips with others, you aren't struggling most of the time. You're not really struggling 50% of the time. Much of the time is spent kicking back and enjoying nature while also enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Devs seem to equate grind with survival because they don't have the experience to understand that a life away from modern conveniences and everything being five minutes away isn't nearly as harsh as they imagine it to be.

I'd love a survival game that was grindless and had actual survival mechanics in it.

Feb 21, 2024, 00:23
El Pit

Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 00:23
Feb 21, 2024, 00:23
 El Pit

Feb 21, 2024, 00:06
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 00:06
Feb 21, 2024, 00:06

Cutter wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 23:04:
Looks interesting but reviews are saying it's more like alpha than beta atm. Even if it wasn't, online only for a PVE crafting game? Hard pass.

To be fair, it does have Coop. but this game has to many harsh survival elements in it.

Played the beta like 6 months ago. The thing that really kills this game for me and a few of my friends was the oh, by the way, your tired go back and rest. Yeah, screw that shit, it became a big annoyance really fast.

I don't mind some elements of survival, but devs seem to think that playing a survival game means struggle all the time playing it.

I play games to enjoy them, but when a game becomes a lot of work, then its dead and I move on.

And to add the icing on the cake, the devs flat out refuse to allow anyone to host their own dedicated servers. That to us was a big Red Flag.
Author of the Neverwinter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.
Now integrated into Steams NWN: Enhanced Edition

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Feb 21, 2024, 00:04
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 21, 2024, 00:04
Feb 21, 2024, 00:04

I don’t get why people are pissed it’s online only. Don’t you have fast enough internet by now? Also it is designed to be played with people. The game doesn’t mention a single player component. If you want a single player game, buy a single player game.

Then you're not paying attention. It is in fact listed as SINGLE PLAYER on steam AND on Epic Game Store.

Feb 20, 2024, 23:45
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 20, 2024, 23:45
Feb 20, 2024, 23:45

Way to read the first sentence of their own description of the game. But it's not just solo players upset at their restrictive server requirements... People in other areas of the world, away from where their back-end service is located, have a terrible ping regardless of the quality of their connection. It's common for a survival/crafting game to offer official servers -- it is not common for that to be the only option.

Feb 20, 2024, 23:17
Re: Nightingale Early Access Feb 20, 2024, 23:17
Feb 20, 2024, 23:17

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older