Out of the Blue

Today is the celebration of George Washington's birthday here in the US. The father of our country was born on February 22, 1732, but his birth is celebrated on the third Monday in February because, you know, Monday. Past efforts at transforming this holiday into Presidents' Day were not as successful as one would think, given the preponderance of Presidents' Day Sales now underway. In reality, other presidents like Abe Lincoln, Warren G. Harding, and El Presidente for Life of Blue's News are still technically not included for this occasion. I'll try and bear up.

Presidential Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

Creature Features

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

John Adams miniseries...
Feb 25, 2024, 15:28
Ant

John Adams miniseries... Feb 25, 2024, 15:28
Feb 25, 2024, 15:28
 Ant

My folks and I watched it during the long weekend. It was good!

Re: OotB: Presidental
Feb 21, 2024, 10:09
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 21, 2024, 10:09
Feb 21, 2024, 10:09

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 18:31:
Prez wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 16:31:
USA is LITERALLY in the stone age?

Grammar Nazi alert. That usage of literally (or LITERALLY) is completely incorrect. They didn't have paper checks much less banks or anything that resembled currency in the stone age. You are indicating a "proverbial' stone age, meaning the US is lagging greatly in something relative to other countries.

Ah! but also, yes! But if you lag behind Germany you are lagging behind so hard that you are out of lag competition imo. I mean I can pay my grocercies digitally and I get paid digitally, I pay taxes digitally and my rent goes away digitally. What would even be the usecase for paper money or checks? If you want to send me money out of normal activity reach I give you my email and you can paypal it or whatever. Ain't no reason to wave paper around ,p

You have to be in Germany to understand the level of sick burn this is. And its not too far off. Since my paper check from my US retirement fund required like a lawyer and a small stack of notarized papers just to process it with a bank here because paper checks are instantly suspect due to how stupidly easy it is to counterfeit them. And me having to paper file my dumb IRS taxation records every year... yeah. Being behind Germany in this aspect is a bit of an insult.
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

ALSO: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/

Feb 20, 2024, 18:31
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 18:31
Feb 20, 2024, 18:31

Prez wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 16:31:

Grammar Nazi alert. That usage of literally (or LITERALLY) is completely incorrect. They didn't have paper checks much less banks or anything that resembled currency in the stone age. You are indicating a "proverbial' stone age, meaning the US is lagging greatly in something relative to other countries.

Ah! but also, yes! But if you lag behind Germany you are lagging behind so hard that you are out of lag competition imo. I mean I can pay my grocercies digitally and I get paid digitally, I pay taxes digitally and my rent goes away digitally. What would even be the usecase for paper money or checks? If you want to send me money out of normal activity reach I give you my email and you can paypal it or whatever. Ain't no reason to wave paper around ,p

Feb 20, 2024, 16:31
Prez

Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 16:31
Feb 20, 2024, 16:31
 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 20, 2024, 15:17
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 15:17
Feb 20, 2024, 15:17

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 14:36:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 08:00:
And we are in a race against time with those other states.
Alabama recently jumped into the lead when their Supreme Court cited a popular work of fiction in a ruling deciding that embryos created through IVF would be protected under the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act, effectively classifying single-celled, fertilized eggs as children.

So if there's a fire in a fertility clinic, and you only have the time to grab a cooler with 10 fertilized eggs or a five year old child, you're supposed to take the eggs?
Neither, if the eggs/kid belong to the sc of alabama.
The Trolley Dilemma at work.
At ten to one it's a no brainer.🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚 xX👶Xx
Fiction is never wrong.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Feb 20, 2024, 14:58
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 14:58
Feb 20, 2024, 14:58

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 09:20:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 04:18:
Mate did you step out of a time machine and miss the current year by 60 ? Deposit with checks in 2024 ? YIKES

Many businesses still issue checks. When Mrs. Burrito used to run her accounting and bookkeeping service, it was not uncommon for her to deposit upwards of 20 checks a month for example.It was also not uncommon for her to issue checks on behalf of some of those same clients. I issued a check myself two months ago because I sure as Hell wasn't going to pay a 10% markup masquerading as a "convenience fee" for an EFT.

Up until September of last year, my employer was still issuing payroll checks to some people because they preferred that over direct deposit. There are also some instances where a cashier's check is a more secure transfer medium than an EFT.

Checks still have their uses in some cases and for some people's preferences.

So what you are saying is that the USA is LITERALLY in the stone age? When I get my money it's a transaction on my digital bank account. If someone tried to pay me in paper money I'd call the cops, as that is a sign of tax evasion.

Feb 20, 2024, 14:36
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 14:36
Feb 20, 2024, 14:36

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 08:00:
Alabama recently jumped into the lead when their Supreme Court cited a popular work of fiction in a ruling deciding that embryos created through IVF would be protected under the Wrongful Death of a Minor Act, effectively classifying single-celled, fertilized eggs as children.

So if there's a fire in a fertility clinic, and you only have the time to grab a cooler with 10 fertilized eggs or a five year old child, you're supposed to take the eggs?
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Feb 20, 2024, 11:03
PHJF

Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 11:03
Feb 20, 2024, 11:03
 PHJF

In the rare instance I get a check I deposit it with my phone.

My bank (credit union) is 6 hours away.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Feb 20, 2024, 10:50
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 10:50
Feb 20, 2024, 10:50

Gaming mice have more onboard computing power and memory than the first Apollo moon launch and include so many buttons you'll be making up things to assign to them, and if you're like me you'll soon forget all but the most used.
Not to mention lasers that are capable of polling rates over a million gigawatts, it's mind numbing.
But what settings should you change in windows mouse settings to get the most out of your HyperLight RGB Destroyer HGx702 rodent. inquiring minds and all that
https://www.pcguide.com/mouse/guide/gaming-mouse-setup/
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Feb 20, 2024, 09:20
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 09:20
Feb 20, 2024, 09:20

Mate did you step out of a time machine and miss the current year by 60 ? Deposit with checks in 2024 ? YIKES

Many businesses still issue checks. When Mrs. Burrito used to run her accounting and bookkeeping service, it was not uncommon for her to deposit upwards of 20 checks a month for example.It was also not uncommon for her to issue checks on behalf of some of those same clients. I issued a check myself two months ago because I sure as Hell wasn't going to pay a 10% markup masquerading as a "convenience fee" for an EFT.

Up until September of last year, my employer was still issuing payroll checks to some people because they preferred that over direct deposit. There are also some instances where a cashier's check is a more secure transfer medium than an EFT.

Checks still have their uses in some cases and for some people's preferences.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 20, 2024, 08:00
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 08:00
Feb 20, 2024, 08:00

1badmf wrote on Feb 20, 2024, 06:42:
you know you can make deposits by shoving checks into the ATM now. i don't even have to type in the amount - it can just read it and all i have to do is verify. surprised there are banks that still use the whoosh tube.
Welcome to America. Especially in places that are on the edge of the Earth, like Texas, Florida, Alabama or Arkansas.

There's talk of doing away with checks, but we'd replace them with clay tablets and an abacus.
We are actually going backwards in time and will soon be our own little Republic of Gilead.

Sidenote
Does anyone here know how many biologists or medical doctors are on the Alabama Supreme Court?

Feb 20, 2024, 06:42
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 06:42
Feb 20, 2024, 06:42

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 21:12:
1badmf wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 21:05:
foundation is some damn good scifi even if it's not very faithful to the book.
QFT

NPR interviews two Russians who are risking their lives and the lives of their loved ones in the hopes that their country can rid itself of Putin.

Putin's regime is 'running out of fuel,' a Russian opposition activist tells NPR Aleksei Miniailo is a Russian opposition activist based in Moscow who argues that Putin's grip on power is less steadfast than it seems.

How safe are other Kremlin critics held in Russia's prison system? NPR's Mary Louise Kelly speaks with Evgenia Kara-Murza, the wife of jailed opposition figure Vladimir Kara-Murza.

An acquaintance went to the bank today to make a deposit, forgetting that it’s Presidents’ Day. When she drove up to the drive-through the carrier was still in the sending unit because whoever worked Saturday did not secure the drive thru. so naturally she stuck her checks in it, hit the button, and it wooshed its way into the bank.
After sitting a couple more minutes waiting for the receipt to come back, she realized her error.

you know you can make deposits by shoving checks into the ATM now. i don't even have to type in the amount - it can just read it and all i have to do is verify. surprised there are banks that still use the whoosh tube.

Feb 20, 2024, 04:18
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 20, 2024, 04:18
Feb 20, 2024, 04:18

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 21:12:
QFT

NPR interviews two Russians who are risking their lives and the lives of their loved ones in the hopes that their country can rid itself of Putin.

Putin's regime is 'running out of fuel,' a Russian opposition activist tells NPR Aleksei Miniailo is a Russian opposition activist based in Moscow who argues that Putin's grip on power is less steadfast than it seems.

How safe are other Kremlin critics held in Russia's prison system? NPR's Mary Louise Kelly speaks with Evgenia Kara-Murza, the wife of jailed opposition figure Vladimir Kara-Murza.

An acquaintance went to the bank today to make a deposit, forgetting that it’s Presidents’ Day. When she drove up to the drive-through the carrier was still in the sending unit because whoever worked Saturday did not secure the drive thru. so naturally she stuck her checks in it, hit the button, and it wooshed its way into the bank.
After sitting a couple more minutes waiting for the receipt to come back, she realized her error.

Feb 19, 2024, 21:12
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 19, 2024, 21:12
Feb 19, 2024, 21:12

QFT

Feb 19, 2024, 21:05
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 19, 2024, 21:05
Feb 19, 2024, 21:05

Prez wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 17:38:
The blurb about Foundation getting a third season should make at least one person here happy - I distinctly remember a poster very worried about it possibly being cancelled when it was reported that the show was in limbo.

I want to say it might have been Forged Reality but I am probably wrong. Apologies if I am.

you werent talking about me, but it makes me happy. foundation is some damn good scifi even if it's not very faithful to the book.

Feb 19, 2024, 18:29
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 19, 2024, 18:29
Feb 19, 2024, 18:29

Whilst that was cool for those with the tailwind, how much longer did flights take for those flying against it?

"Some Babies Are Born With Twisted Insides" aka Trump Syndrome.

Here Blue, this should be your theme song as El Presidente....
The Presidents Of The United States - Little Blue Dune Buggy

"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 19, 2024, 17:38
Prez

Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 19, 2024, 17:38
Feb 19, 2024, 17:38
 Prez

The blurb about Foundation getting a third season should make at least one person here happy - I distinctly remember a poster very worried about it possibly being cancelled when it was reported that the show was in limbo.

I want to say it might have been Forged Reality but I am probably wrong. Apologies if I am.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 19, 2024, 16:47
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 19, 2024, 16:47
Feb 19, 2024, 16:47

My buddy who’s been a mechanic/gearhead for centuries had never seen one of these and neither had I.
Until today. Too cool.
https://ibb.co/zRh8Gcw
https://ibb.co/McdbSJV
https://ibb.co/k818MpD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_(motorcycle)
https://www.nimbusclub.com/nimbus-motorcycle-history/
Edit
Too funny, I googled the serial number and it popped up https://www.nimbus-shop.com/shop/1954-nimbus-reserved-859p.html

Feb 19, 2024, 14:46
Re: OotB: Presidental Feb 19, 2024, 14:46
Feb 19, 2024, 14:46

Comment one word to this guys😂

What could go wrong? 🤕
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

No subject
Feb 19, 2024, 13:33
No subject Feb 19, 2024, 13:33
Feb 19, 2024, 13:33

Typical Boeing, failed at getting a Sonic Boom while flying a plane at 800 miles per hour, knowing dang well its max speed is only 956 km/h. Yes, I know it was ground speed.🌬️
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older