HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap

A formerly Twitter tweet from Arrowhead Studios addresses the ongoing capacity issues for HELLDIVERS 2, as the third-person shooter continues to struggle with its own success. This issue is highlighted on SteamDB, where it shows the game's all-time concurrent user peak as 357,418. That is as of moments before this was written, so it may well be higher by the time you read this. But it apparently will not go past 450k players anytime soon, as this x/tweet explains that servers are being capped at 450,000 concurrent users to preserve stability). VGC notes that this dwarfs the total of 300,359 that's the combined(!) peak CCU count of every other PlayStation game on Steam added together. Here's the latest from the team on efforts at keeping up with demand:
Despite our best efforts to increase server capacity to accommodate all of you who want to dive for Freedom, we are experiencing capacity issues. We are once more working without delay to improve the issue and we hope to have a fix in place as soon as possible. Thank you.
View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap
Feb 21, 2024, 19:37
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 21, 2024, 19:37
Feb 21, 2024, 19:37

Prez wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 14:54:
4D-Boxing wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 12:29:
Prez wrote on Feb 18, 2024, 15:44:
Online games have queues sometimes, that's not new.

It is a fact of life - that used to be isolated to MMO's and multiplayer-only games like Overwatch. I'm sorry - I will not accept that "this is just how it has to be". That's demonstrably false. There's no non-corporate, non-monetization reason whatsoever for there not to be dedicated servers that I will accept. If people are okay with that, that is perfectly fine. You do you. Just don't pretend that those of us who refuse to put up with this shit are crazy, because we have played and are still playing co-op and multiplayer games that don't require us to be allowed to play the games we paid for. It's frustrating, because this game looks like it is a lot of fun. I want to be clear; I am not putting down anyone who decides that this isn't a factor for them. That's their choice to make.

Well said! I've yet to see the advantages of the current approaches vs what we had in the early Quake/UT days. Never had to wait, plus griefers, bigots and cheaters were dealt with before the round/game was over. No friends list just join the server with people worth gaming with playing or do a round of clan servers to test your skills etc.

We're definitely losing this battle though. It sucks that I have to actively hope that as many live service games fail spectacularly as possible because that makes me sound like an asshole and that I don't care about my fellow gamers who do enjoy the games. I do care about them; that is why I'm praying your favorite game that you're currently enjoying fails and end up losing the company boatloads of money. I call it tough love lol.

And to everyone saying there's just no way this could be done except online only, I can point to over 4 decades and thousands of games that have been just as good or better without the live service bullshit you think is so necessary. Co-op doesn't require online-only live service garbage that can only be done through their server; that you have been tricked into thinking that it does is kind of sad but it doesn't change for me. Sorry, not buying it, and you can't sell it to me no matter how you pitch it. Just enjoy your game and don't pay any attention to the grumpy guys in the corner. ๐Ÿ™‚
I thought this was a gaming site and not a salt mine?

Feb 19, 2024, 14:54
Prez

Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 19, 2024, 14:54
Feb 19, 2024, 14:54
 Prez

4D-Boxing wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 12:29:

It is a fact of life - that used to be isolated to MMO's and multiplayer-only games like Overwatch. I'm sorry - I will not accept that "this is just how it has to be". That's demonstrably false. There's no non-corporate, non-monetization reason whatsoever for there not to be dedicated servers that I will accept. If people are okay with that, that is perfectly fine. You do you. Just don't pretend that those of us who refuse to put up with this shit are crazy, because we have played and are still playing co-op and multiplayer games that don't require us to be allowed to play the games we paid for. It's frustrating, because this game looks like it is a lot of fun. I want to be clear; I am not putting down anyone who decides that this isn't a factor for them. That's their choice to make.

Well said! I've yet to see the advantages of the current approaches vs what we had in the early Quake/UT days. Never had to wait, plus griefers, bigots and cheaters were dealt with before the round/game was over. No friends list just join the server with people worth gaming with playing or do a round of clan servers to test your skills etc.

We're definitely losing this battle though. It sucks that I have to actively hope that as many live service games fail spectacularly as possible because that makes me sound like an asshole and that I don't care about my fellow gamers who do enjoy the games. I do care about them; that is why I'm praying your favorite game that you're currently enjoying fails and end up losing the company boatloads of money. I call it tough love lol.

And to everyone saying there's just no way this could be done except online only, I can point to over 4 decades and thousands of games that have been just as good or better without the live service bullshit you think is so necessary. Co-op doesn't require online-only live service garbage that can only be done through their server; that you have been tricked into thinking that it does is kind of sad but it doesn't change for me. Sorry, not buying it, and you can't sell it to me no matter how you pitch it. Just enjoy your game and don't pay any attention to the grumpy guys in the corner. ๐Ÿ™‚
โ€œThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.โ€
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 19, 2024, 13:22
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 19, 2024, 13:22
Feb 19, 2024, 13:22

Skuggasveinn wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 10:19:
I've been playing this with buddies and it's a total blast.
WE are having so much fun, and co-op is the only way to play this game.
Playing solo would be like playing Left 4 Dead solo, and the L4D comparison is spot on.
It's like Starship Troopers, meets Terminators riding Star Wars AT-STs with extractions not seen since L4D.

So even if they would add in a solo-only mode that would not be connected to some master server, I would wait until I can play online, the fun factor is that much higher.
That being said, of course, it sucks that it was hard to get into the servers this week, but it's not like true veteran studios of mmo's didn't mess that up in the past also.
And people who think ramping up server capacity by a couple of hundred thousand CCU is something you do in an afternoon, don't understand the first thing about computer infrastructure.

IMO there is nothing like L4D out there. Nothing. I mean some of the games come close, but the real fun of L4D is the director/versus mode. When you know that the special/infected are directed by human minds, that's the juice that gets the blood really pumping. I've played a lot of coop shooters, and while they may be fun, I've yet to experience the pure adrenaline rush of L4D Versus mode.

Feb 19, 2024, 12:29
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 19, 2024, 12:29
Feb 19, 2024, 12:29

Feb 19, 2024, 10:19
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 19, 2024, 10:19
Feb 19, 2024, 10:19

I've been playing this with buddies and it's a total blast.
WE are having so much fun, and co-op is the only way to play this game.
Playing solo would be like playing Left 4 Dead solo, and the L4D comparison is spot on.
It's like Starship Troopers, meets Terminators riding Star Wars AT-STs with extractions not seen since L4D.

So even if they would add in a solo-only mode that would not be connected to some master server, I would wait until I can play online, the fun factor is that much higher.
That being said, of course, it sucks that it was hard to get into the servers this week, but it's not like true veteran studios of mmo's didn't mess that up in the past also.
And people who think ramping up server capacity by a couple of hundred thousand CCU is something you do in an afternoon, don't understand the first thing about computer infrastructure.

Feb 19, 2024, 09:21
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 19, 2024, 09:21
Feb 19, 2024, 09:21

The old adage of wait six months to buy gets another scalp under its belt...;) Do I listen to my own advice? Hardly. I bought BG3 the day it debuted for EA, thought I'd have 6-9 months at most to wait--should have waited three years to buy! I wouldn't buy online-only, no single-player game, anyway, so I hesitate to comment beyond the obvious on this game.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Feb 19, 2024, 07:42
Jim
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 19, 2024, 07:42
Feb 19, 2024, 07:42
Jim

Everything is simple when other people have to do it.

Feb 19, 2024, 06:38
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 19, 2024, 06:38
Feb 19, 2024, 06:38

So some game exec in charge here forgot to review the server capacity vs marketings target sales before launch. Just one more AAA shitification of product.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Feb 19, 2024, 05:20
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 19, 2024, 05:20
Feb 19, 2024, 05:20

Prez wrote on Feb 18, 2024, 14:33:
So they are saying that if you are player 450001 you will not be allowed to play the game you bought. Does anyone else see how insane that is? Or am I just nuts?

Welcome to Error 37.

Feb 18, 2024, 21:29
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 21:29
Feb 18, 2024, 21:29

It's a temporary fix until they can expand the servers. It's either this or be plagued with "unable to connect to game lobby" error messages when you try to use the matchmaking option in the game.

Feb 18, 2024, 20:27
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 20:27
Feb 18, 2024, 20:27

Quboid wrote on Feb 18, 2024, 17:45:
thestryker wrote on Feb 18, 2024, 16:00:
The problem Arrowhead has is their current choice is between people not being able to get in or people randomly not getting rewards. While it's frustrating I think they made the right choice, and honestly I haven't been trying to play this weekend because of it. I do think it's a giant red flag for anyone looking to buy the game until it has been resolved.

As was said before the Galactic War requires a master server keeping track of mission progress so host it yourself is absolutely not an option. I suppose they could do an offline, but then you'd never get anything for your runs so kinda blows up the point behind that one too.

Doing runs should be fun regardless of the wider context, no? I understand that a private server wouldn't tie in to the wider conflict, but it should be an option and it should be fun in isolation.
Oh absolutely, but with everything synced together it simply isn't possible with the current design of the game. As with every coop game though I'd be super happy if they just did a Diablo 2 style online and offline characters making them separate. At that point you can cater to folks who don't want to play as part of the bigger picture and/or those without online access.

Jim wrote on Feb 18, 2024, 18:14:
When you compare to palworld it becomes apparent how much more robust the server setup was for that game. helldivers must have gone with a different solution that does not scale very well. and yeah, "they should have known...." blah blah blah, meanwhile the rootkit people are all doom and gloom on the game so the success is despite all that....
Not even remotely comparable, because palworld is all P2P/dedicated servers. Helldivers 2 has a master server which handles everything regarding the characters, mission progress, rewards and manages the Galactic War.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2024, 02:10.

Feb 18, 2024, 18:14
Jim
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 18:14
Feb 18, 2024, 18:14
Jim

When you compare to palworld it becomes apparent how much more robust the server setup was for that game. helldivers must have gone with a different solution that does not scale very well. and yeah, "they should have known...." blah blah blah, meanwhile the rootkit people are all doom and gloom on the game so the success is despite all that....

Feb 18, 2024, 17:45
Quboid

Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 17:45
Feb 18, 2024, 17:45
 Quboid

thestryker wrote on Feb 18, 2024, 16:00:
The problem Arrowhead has is their current choice is between people not being able to get in or people randomly not getting rewards. While it's frustrating I think they made the right choice, and honestly I haven't been trying to play this weekend because of it. I do think it's a giant red flag for anyone looking to buy the game until it has been resolved.

As was said before the Galactic War requires a master server keeping track of mission progress so host it yourself is absolutely not an option. I suppose they could do an offline, but then you'd never get anything for your runs so kinda blows up the point behind that one too.

Doing runs should be fun regardless of the wider context, no? I understand that a private server wouldn't tie in to the wider conflict, but it should be an option and it should be fun in isolation.

I understand their problem here, after all it's not that different to what all centralised games have. It's just not usually as public and it should be handled a bit better but being a surprise hit has got them scrambling. Also I'm sure they have an eye on the CCU numbers in a month and beyond when it calms down a bit. If they can expand the servers for a short while at a reasonable cost then great, but if I was them I'd be wary of investing in infrastructure for 500K+ players if that would result in costs that would take months to be worthwhile. Just this year we've seen Lethal Company, Palworld, and Enshrouded each lose around half their CCU or more and that's absolutely not to say they are dead games or failures, far from it. That's just the way of things.

Feb 18, 2024, 16:39
Prez

Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 16:39
Feb 18, 2024, 16:39
 Prez

I will defer to your knowledge Jacobvandy because you are a player of the game and I am not. I only have what I have researched about the game online.

Anyway, ultimately I hope you are having a good time with it. At the end of the day I will never begrudge my fellow gamers for enjoying games.
โ€œThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.โ€
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 18, 2024, 16:00
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 16:00
Feb 18, 2024, 16:00

Feb 18, 2024, 15:49
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 15:49
Feb 18, 2024, 15:49

It is a fact of life - that used to be isolated to MMO's and multiplayer-only games like Overwatch. I'm sorry - I will not accept that "this is just how it has to be". That's demonstrably false. There's no non-corporate, non-monetization reason whatsoever for there not to be dedicated servers that I will accept. If people are okay with that, that is perfectly fine. You do you. Just don't pretend that those of us who refuse to put up with this shit are crazy, because we have played and are still playing co-op and multiplayer games that don't require us to be allowed to play our games. It's frustrating, because this game looks like it is a lot of fun.

I was going to add this to my other post, but... This is an online game, not just your average session-based co-op shooter. There is a requirement for a master server to be able to handle everyone's activity because the main hook of Helldivers is how the global playerbase simultaneously participates in an on-going, constantly-evolving virtual conflict. They have something like seasons where for a set duration of real time (weeks or months), player participation in battles throughout different locations on the galaxy map affects the territory struggle against the enemy factions on two different fronts (first game had three). You either liberate the galaxy to win, or your home planet is captured and you lose, which affects the reward at the end of each cycle. They make tweaks to subsequent campaigns depending on the results of the previous, meaning it can become easier or harder depending on how well everyone's doing.

Feb 18, 2024, 15:44
Prez

Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 15:44
Feb 18, 2024, 15:44
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 18, 2024, 15:34
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 15:34
Feb 18, 2024, 15:34

Prez wrote on Feb 18, 2024, 14:57:
Not being given permission to play a coop game by the company you bought the game from seems like a hard negative to simply ignore. But maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy and I just don't get the 'new' way of doing things.

Online games have to have queues sometimes, that's not new. They just don't have a proper system in place for it because they were caught by surprise. The first Helldivers was a very niche game, to put it kindly, which is probably why Sony allowed the sequel to launch simultaneously for PC. They wouldn't be having this issue if it was PlayStation exclusive (the console is accounting for 1/3 or less of that 450k capacity).

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2024, 15:47.

Feb 18, 2024, 15:01
Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 15:01
Feb 18, 2024, 15:01

Well, they vastly underprepared and underestimated how many people would buy it, and seem to be struggling to have any way to make up for it, so I dunno... Sounds rough. Either some people don't get to play, or everyone gets a really shitty experience.

That being said, even during prime hours (like right now) I haven't had to try more than a few minutes to get in on PC, but I know many people aren't having any luck.

Feb 18, 2024, 14:57
Prez

Re: HELLDIVERS 2 Hits New Peak; Adds CCU Cap Feb 18, 2024, 14:57
Feb 18, 2024, 14:57
 Prez

Not being given permission to play a coop game by the company you bought the game from seems like a hard negative to simply ignore. But maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy and I just don't get the 'new' way of doing things.
- Mahatma Gandhi
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older