Out of the Blue

Luc Besson to Direct 'Dracula' With Christoph Waltz, Caleb Landry Jones. Most of the million Dracula movies, well, suck, but this seems promising. Christoph Waltz as Dracula is about as inspired a casting decision as I could imagine. This could be chance to join the vampire actor Mount Rushmore. Guess right now that would be Bela Lugosi and Max Schreck along with of two of the three between Gary Oldman, Christopher Lee, and Frank Langella.

Obituary: Ross Gelbspan, Who Exposed Roots of Climate Change Deniers, Dies at 84.

Bloodthirsty Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories
Thanks Max.

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

Creature Features
Thanks Kxmode.

View : : :
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OotB: Climate Deniers...
Feb 20, 2024, 09:23
Re: OotB: Climate Deniers... Feb 20, 2024, 09:23
Feb 20, 2024, 09:23

Beamer wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 13:19:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 13:04:
LOL, you said sources.
To his credit, I do think Walt reads. I think he solely reads sources that tell him what he wants to hear, but I think he does read.
Gives new meaning to the term “Garbage in, garbage out.”
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Re: OotB: Please don't suck
Feb 20, 2024, 00:55
Re: OotB: Please don't suck Feb 20, 2024, 00:55
Feb 20, 2024, 00:55

Put my 101 year old Dad in that category. His only major health issue is he has gall stones, so he's supposed to avoid fatty foods, but he loves hamburgers. So he figures if he rinses the burger patty in water, before cooking it, it will wash off the fat. RIGHT?

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2024, 10:25.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Re: Double links!
Feb 19, 2024, 19:57
Prez

Re: Double links! Feb 19, 2024, 19:57
Feb 19, 2024, 19:57
 Prez

Yeah that's who I am talking about. They're not the devil, or even bad people necessarily, just... Kind of batshit. They view everything through such a skewed lens that you wonder if they are living in the same world and seeing the same things you are.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 19, 2024, 19:54
Re: Double links! Feb 19, 2024, 19:54
Feb 19, 2024, 19:54

A relative of mine that appears to be normal up to the moment she opens her mouth, believes today that you can shield yourself from covid by chopping a fresh onion and placing it by the door of a shop.

Just an example, she was the same at 22, now 72, absolutely clueless about everything.
Has the typical supertitious/faithful (aka religious), ignorant but assertive mindset.

Feb 19, 2024, 16:57
Prez

Re: Double links! Feb 19, 2024, 16:57
Feb 19, 2024, 16:57
 Prez

The goofy morons on Fox News now or got their start on Fox News who think that they are editorializing (that I can't even call 'entertainers' because there's nothing entertaining about them) are just sad, deluded confidence men masquerading as smart people who "only want the truth". But the actual newscasters? I think that some of them genuinely believe that they are presenting 'fair and balanced' news reporting. Most of the time they aren't obviously, but I get the feeling that unlike the aforementioned morons like Tucker Carlson, Glen Beck, Sean Hannity and the other charlatans who have went on to make lucrative careers being as phony as the day is long, the people who give the news aren't trying to outright deceive; they've been duped and drank the Kool aid just as much as the far right nuts who will unironically cite Fox News as a source. I don't think that they are despicable like the aforementioned con men, just pathetic and completely warped in their thinking. Just my take. Despite knowing how wrong Fox News is on, well, basically everything (that isn't just a cut-and-paste from AP or Reuters), I don't exactly trust many of the more mainstream outlets either. I stopped watching news altogether a long time ago when it became apparent to me that no one reports the news; they manipulate you into feeling this way or that. What Fox News is blatant (and pathetic) about, other outlets are just more subtle in their manipulation. Ignorance may not be bliss as the saying goes, but it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to parse actual news from all of the manipulation and spin.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2024, 17:15.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Double links!
Feb 19, 2024, 16:16
Ant

Double links! Feb 19, 2024, 16:16
Feb 19, 2024, 16:16
 Ant

"NASA explains how it would alert the public of an apocalyptic asteroid strike."

Feb 19, 2024, 13:46
Re: OotB: Please don't suck Feb 19, 2024, 13:46
Feb 19, 2024, 13:46

Ohh Climate change is very real. 10 years ago I was in NORTHERN GERMANY and it was below freezing, snowing and cold as F. This year... its green, kinda rainy, and hoody weather. Nah man Climate change is super real, and we are reaching the point of no return to anything resembling normal as far as I'm concerned.

One image is enough to scare me
Rimmer: “Step up to Red Alert.”
Kryten: “Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.”

ALSO: https://www.stopkillinggames.com/

Feb 19, 2024, 13:19
Re: OotB: Climate Deniers... Feb 19, 2024, 13:19
Feb 19, 2024, 13:19

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 13:04:

LOL, you said sources.
We all remember when he linked a source that disproved what he was claiming.
Polar ice is getting bigger, not smaller. . unbelievable

To his credit, I do think Walt reads. I think he solely reads sources that tell him what he wants to hear, but I think he does read.

Which is more than most far right conservatives I find these days. Walt is old school. Most I encounter online are the new school that doesn't care about right or wrong so much as being a contrarian because they're angry and outraged over something.

This type usually just posts memes with few words, and never links to the articles the memes mention, because that would require reading, and reading often contradicts the meme. My favorite was when someone reposted a Turning Point meme that had two Guardian headlines, one saying "We need to be concerned about X" and another a year later saying "Trump is right that X isn't as big a deal as some are saying." The thing is, the first article said that X could grow to be 30%, and we should be concerned, the second article was citing Trump saying in a speech that X would never reach 80%. The articles didn't contradict each other. It was posted as if it was showing inconsistency, but they were perfectly consistent with each other.

And, at the same time, you shouldn't expect a news organization to be completely consistent with its opinions, anyway, as they're an organization of many people who will hold differing opinions, and because new information may develop between when those opinions are published that changes the opinions. For some reason, I feel conservatives are extra likely to think that an organization must be in lock-step, and that having your opinion adjust over time is a bad thing and you instead need to never learn anything, discredit anything that counters your existing understanding, and demonize people that know more or more current information than you.

Re: Ground Zero Parties will be the bomb
Feb 19, 2024, 13:06
Re: Ground Zero Parties will be the bomb Feb 19, 2024, 13:06
Feb 19, 2024, 13:06

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 12:54:
The Flying Penguin wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 12:42:
Having met many of the people who are preparing for, and embrace the idea of a 'new world order' after an apocalyptic event, I would welcome NASA's warning of an impending killer asteroid strike, so I could make damn sure I was squarely underneath it, when it hits. I'll splurge and be sipping some $20k Cognac.
Bring LOTs of ice, because the air at ground zero will reach temperatures hotter than the sun before the asteroid touches down.🤯

One thing is for sure, Moe's Bar isn't going to make it.

Feb 19, 2024, 13:04
Re: OotB: Climate Deniers... Feb 19, 2024, 13:04
Feb 19, 2024, 13:04

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 12:09:
Let's take a look at just the sources used to back up ole buddy boy Walt's claims:

1. First link? Fox News. An organization which can no longer legally lay claim to being an actual news organization but can only operate solely under the legal cover of "entertainment".

2. Second link? Heartland.org which is the Heartland Institute. A "source" with an extremely low credibility score. Link goes to the Media Bias Fact Check site. Examples of their, ahem, "reporting" shows a strong trend toward mostly false, false, inaccurate, or deliberately misleading behavior. They're also known for their propaganda pieces.

So am I going to take the word of two sources that are known to be actively disingenuous or am I going to take the word of an organization like NOAA who regularly publishes real world data (with graphs, charts, analysis and everything) that shows that not only are ocean temperatures rising, they're rising faster than most worst case scenarios predicted? Oh, that bit about ice cores? Yeah, what ole buddy boy Walt left out is that many of those "Nuh UH! The earth has warmed before" statements are almost exclusively based around the Holocine Optimum era. Which did show a slight rise in the earth's temperature, this is true. However, what is straight up misleading about those statements (and deliberately omitted) is that the rate of that increase was several magnitudes lower than what we've experienced in the last twenty years. What is also deliberately omitted to be misleading is that after the Holocine Optimum, temperatures immediately began trending downward before settling in to a predictable range with only minor fluctuations that took thousands of years to deviate within that range. Those fluctuations were both up and down. In our modern era, all we are seeing is an upward trend.

To say that climate change isn't a catastrophic crises we are facing in real time and isn't a direct result of human behavior is either a level of delusion that qualifies as a pathology or is a maliciously willful act of disinformation. Which of the two it is, the reader can decide for themselves.
LOL, you said sources.
We all remember when he linked a source that disproved what he was claiming.
Polar ice is getting bigger, not smaller. . unbelievable
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Ground Zero Parties will be the bomb
Feb 19, 2024, 12:54
Ground Zero Parties will be the bomb Feb 19, 2024, 12:54
Feb 19, 2024, 12:54

The Flying Penguin wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 12:42:
Having met many of the people who are preparing for, and embrace the idea of a 'new world order' after an apocalyptic event, I would welcome NASA's warning of an impending killer asteroid strike, so I could make damn sure I was squarely underneath it, when it hits. I'll splurge and be sipping some $20k Cognac.
Bring LOTs of ice, because the air at ground zero will reach temperatures hotter than the sun before the asteroid touches down.🤯

And be sure to read USGS.gov how do you prepare for the effects of an asteroid impact
One things for sure, I’m stocking up on ivermectin and hcq+. Wink

Feb 19, 2024, 12:42
Re: OotB: Please don't suck Feb 19, 2024, 12:42
Feb 19, 2024, 12:42

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Feb 19, 2024, 12:09
Re: OotB: Climate Deniers... Feb 19, 2024, 12:09
Feb 19, 2024, 12:09

Let's take a look at just the sources used to back up ole buddy boy Walt's claims:

1. First link? Fox News. An organization which can no longer legally lay claim to being an actual news organization but can only operate solely under the legal cover of "entertainment".

2. Second link? Heartland.org which is the Heartland Institute. A "source" with an extremely low credibility score. Link goes to the Media Bias Fact Check site. Examples of their, ahem, "reporting" shows a strong trend toward mostly false, false, inaccurate, or deliberately misleading behavior. They're also known for their propaganda pieces.

So am I going to take the word of two sources that are known to be actively disingenuous or am I going to take the word of an organization like NOAA who regularly publishes real world data (with graphs, charts, analysis and everything) that shows that not only are ocean temperatures rising, they're rising faster than most worst case scenarios predicted? Oh, that bit about ice cores? Yeah, what ole buddy boy Walt left out is that many of those "Nuh UH! The earth has warmed before" statements are almost exclusively based around the Holocine Optimum era. Which did show a slight rise in the earth's temperature, this is true. However, what is straight up misleading about those statements (and deliberately omitted) is that the rate of that increase was several magnitudes lower than what we've experienced in the last twenty years. What is also deliberately omitted to be misleading is that after the Holocine Optimum, temperatures immediately began trending downward before settling in to a predictable range with only minor fluctuations that took thousands of years to deviate within that range. Those fluctuations were both up and down. In our modern era, all we are seeing is an upward trend.

To say that climate change isn't a catastrophic crises we are facing in real time and isn't a direct result of human behavior is either a level of delusion that qualifies as a pathology or is a maliciously willful act of disinformation. Which of the two it is, the reader can decide for themselves.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 19, 2024, 10:52
Re: OotB: Climate Deniers... Feb 19, 2024, 10:52
Feb 19, 2024, 10:52

I can think of much nastier and more juvenile things to call someone so stupid and selfish that they deny climate change, so I really don't think the term is either of those things...

Feb 19, 2024, 10:46
Re: OotB: Please don't suck Feb 19, 2024, 10:46
Feb 19, 2024, 10:46

Ignored wrote on Feb 19, 2024, 10:33:
To view this user's posts click on the username.
https://xkcd.com/1732/
nuff said

Feb 19, 2024, 10:33
Re: OotB: Climate Deniers... Feb 19, 2024, 10:33
Feb 19, 2024, 10:33

(Welcome to Monday Morning--Blue hit one of my buttons today. Good Job, Blue...;))

...are those who continually deny that climate change, if and when it actually occurs, is anything that man can control or alter. The term "climate denier" is a nasty, juvenile little name/label that those who cannot do anything but ignorantly support climate change politically use to label people much more intelligent than themselves, I've found. What the real scientists say they cannot refute, so they call them a name--just like something grade-school children do! It's just like The Scarlet Letter, if you've read it and studied it in high school--which was standard fare when I was there.

BTW, there is no universal acceptance that man-made climate change exists! The changes in the climate we've seen in the fossil records, tree ring studies, and the Icelandic ice cores, occurred long before the first internal combustion engine ever existed, and the ice cores relate changes in climate that occurred before the first Homo Sapiens made a footprint in the sand, or the ice. The sun, of course, the great yellow orb in the sky, regulates the Earth's climate totally--the fluctuations we've seen in the record were and are caused only by fluctuations in the output of the sun. It's no wonder that the founder of the Weather Channel, an esteemed meteorologist debunked the notion of man-made climate change for years before he died. He is certainly not the only one, of course.

https://heartland.org/opinion/30000-scientists-sign-petition-on-global-warming/

Here's a link to the petition mentioned. Of course, the same people who coined the label "climate denier" will simply fib some more and tell you all of that is made up bunk. That's all they can do--they cannot argue the science--so they make up names and throw insults--just like children in grade-school. Suffice it to say that there is no "universal agreement" that voting for a political party and paying out a lot more in taxes and inflation will have any effect whatsoever on the Earth's climate! The very notion is ignorance personified. And it doesn't matter which politician tells you otherwise--he's either lying, or he's been duped by the pseudoscience he has come to believe, you may rest assured.

In fact, all the climate-change believers have done is take studies of changes in the world's climate out of science completely, and turned it into a mindless political doctrine. It reminds me of Hitler's Nazis trying to inject the Occult into "science" they could use in the persecution of certain groups of people Hitler wanted to wipe out. Dr. Joseph Mengele was his willing accomplice in these endeavors. I should not dignify this mad butcher by using the term "Dr.".

The cause of any climatic changes in the World for billions of years has been Sol, our sun. Interesting fact: the eruption of just one of the Super volcanoes that erupted in antiquity is estimated to have put out more C02 than all of Earth's industries, from the first internal combustion engine to the present day, combined! Just one, and there were several. In fact, the past 12,000 years of human history have occurred between ice ages! It seems that the more politicians don't know, the more they conjure and invent false fearmongering "facts" with which to scare votes and money out of the less experienced and less educated among us.

It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Feb 19, 2024, 04:55
Re: OotB: Please don't suck Feb 19, 2024, 04:55
Feb 19, 2024, 04:55

And my end times would not result in some sort of petty revenge purge. Ohh I would give a couple people a good yelling at that is for sure! Letting go of any pent up anger I might have had towards others. After that, like Prez says just find a spot, grab some comfort food or liquid and just wait. Nothing else to do after that.

Feb 19, 2024, 04:50
Re: OotB: Please don't suck Feb 19, 2024, 04:50
Feb 19, 2024, 04:50

Ugh I miss having a dog. Best times of my life were spent along side a furry friend.

But small apartment life and a general ban on house animals where I live put a stop to that. Nor would I want to have a dog in the tiny ass apartment built in 1960s germany. Be hell for them.

Just add it to my list of regrets having moved here. Before I had mobile home on 3 acres with grassland to heavy woods. It was perfect for multiple doggos.

Feb 19, 2024, 03:15
Re: OotB: Please don't suck Feb 19, 2024, 03:15
Feb 19, 2024, 03:15

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 18, 2024, 22:56:
I have one guiding principle I live by. Were she still a live, would my wife point me out in a crowd and exclaim with happiness and pride "That's my husband"? If not, I am doing something very wrong and need to take three steps back to make sure I live up to that principle.
Beautiful, repay pure honor with honor.
Two women in my life, both long gone, best people ever to me.

Feb 19, 2024, 02:35
Re: OotB: Please don't suck Feb 19, 2024, 02:35
Feb 19, 2024, 02:35

Prez wrote on Feb 18, 2024, 15:04:
NASA explains how it would alert the public of an apocalyptic asteroid strike

What would be the point? I would think that people would rather be blissfully unaware.

How many people would do things very differently if they knew the world was going to end? A very wise person once said:
"If you would change the way you are currently living because you found out the world was going to end, you were not living correctly in the first place."
I bet it would be nearly impossible to keep it a secret. People that know are going to tell friends, their friends are going to tell other friends and it's going to get out. Then there are amateur astronomers that will spot it too. Would it be better to let everyone know than have some know and some suspect based on something they heard? Either way, it'll be chaos.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older