HELLDIVERS 2 Sells ~1M

This post from Johan Pilestedt, creative director at Arrowhead Studios, gives a sales estimate for HELLDIVERS 2, the PC and PlayStation first-person shooter homage to Starship Troopers. Despite some issues that are still being worked through, word is the game has sold "around" a million units since its launch last Thursday (thanks Reddit). In a previous post, Johan addresses the suggestion that the game is pay to win:
I'm partial but we really applied ourselves to not make it p2w even though items are functionally different. The only item that's p2w is the revolver - which will win you any "cool gun" competition. Only (minor) problem is that it's not that good. 🤷
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M
Feb 11, 2024, 15:22
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 11, 2024, 15:22
Feb 11, 2024, 15:22

Has a rootkit anti cheat to protect their cash shop...

Feb 11, 2024, 20:36
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 11, 2024, 20:36
Feb 11, 2024, 20:36

Yakubs wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 15:22:
Has a rootkit anti cheat to protect their cash shop...

And it's an enormously fun game if that doesn't bother you. Like playing a real-time Starship troopers in co-op.

Feb 11, 2024, 20:49
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 11, 2024, 20:49
Feb 11, 2024, 20:49

[quote="Teddy"Feb 11, 2024, 20:36"20096

And it's an enormously fun game if that doesn't bother you.

A person is an idiot if it doesn't. So ~1 million idiots and counting.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 11, 2024, 21:03
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 11, 2024, 21:03
Feb 11, 2024, 21:03

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 20:49:

Or some people are just beyond letting that bother them.

But sure, just bush them all as idiots if that's how you view the world.

Feb 11, 2024, 21:27
Jim
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 11, 2024, 21:27
Feb 11, 2024, 21:27
Jim

so.... aside from rootkits being "scary" - how has one ever affected people? yeah, no doubt "computer slowdown" but they say that about everything so the phrase is meaningless.

I'll be picking this up when my queue is a little less full

Feb 11, 2024, 23:13
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 11, 2024, 23:13
Feb 11, 2024, 23:13

Jim wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 21:27:
so.... aside from rootkits being "scary" - how has one ever affected people? yeah, no doubt "computer slowdown" but they say that about everything so the phrase is meaningless.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Rootkits, by their very definition, are malware. There have been many, many rootkits over the years that have affected systems and people and the sum total damages from them trends well in to the billions of dollars. They are one of the most, if not THE most, invidious types of malware around. I'm going to drop a layman level explanation of rootkits for you:

A rootkit does exactly what it says on the tin. It grants the process total access to the root of the system (root on Linux or ring 0 on Windows). Because it is now an authoritative system process, it can do whatever it wants without restriction to that system...often without the average user ever knowing it is even there. Credential theft? Easy. Use that system as a node in a DDoS network? Easy. Cryptomining? Easy. Plus many other nefarious uses.

Undoubtedly someone is going to say "But it's from Sony/whatever company they are doing business with!" The problem though is all it takes is for one dedicated person to find an exploit for it and then craft a hijack for it. Now that person has access, and can sell that access, to whatever system has that particular rootkit version installed. They don't have to do any real additional work because the targets already completed 70% of the work for them.

There are people whom still compute like it's the early 2000s and they are idiots in my opinion. We face a plethora of APTs on a level never before seen in human history. We face a corporate landscape that is exploitive to the point that it would make robber barons of the 19th century green with envy while also simultaneously putting as little money as possible, and almost zero foresight in to, protecting the data and access they have to consumers. There's a reason the concept of zero trust is such a massive deal now. Not only can you not trust third parties, you really shouldn't even be trusting the devices on your own network.

There are people who are going to call me paranoid and that's OK. I have been paid well for many years to be as paranoid as possible without having a psychotic break with reality. But I can also say that in 24 years, I have never had a single breach or infection on any system for which I have direct authority and responsibility. I didn't get that track record by being complacent and saying "Oh this rootkit is fine because it is from Name Brand Company."
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Feb 11, 2024, 23:23
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 11, 2024, 23:23
Feb 11, 2024, 23:23

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 23:13:

Rootkits, by their very definition, are malware. There have been many, many rootkits over the years that have affected systems and people and the sum total damages from them trends well in to the billions of dollars. They are one of the most, if not THE most, invidious types of malware around. I'm going to drop a layman level explanation of rootkits for you:

A rootkit does exactly what it says on the tin. It grants the process total access to the root of the system (root on Linux or ring 0 on Windows). Because it is now an authoritative system process, it can do whatever it wants without restriction to that system...often without the average user ever knowing it is even there. Credential theft? Easy. Use that system as a node in a DDoS network? Easy. Cryptomining? Easy. Plus many other nefarious uses.

Undoubtedly someone is going to say "But it's from Sony/whatever company they are doing business with!" The problem though is all it takes is for one dedicated person to find an exploit for it and then craft a hijack for it. Now that person has access, and can sell that access, to whatever system has that particular rootkit version installed. They don't have to do any real additional work because the targets already completed 70% of the work for them.

There are people whom still compute like it's the early 2000s and they are idiots in my opinion. We face a plethora of APTs on a level never before seen in human history. We face a corporate landscape that is exploitive to the point that it would make robber barons of the 19th century green with envy while also simultaneously putting as little money as possible, and almost zero foresight in to, protecting the data and access they have to consumers. There's a reason the concept of zero trust is such a massive deal now. Not only can you not trust third parties, you really shouldn't even be trusting the devices on your own network.

There are people who are going to call me paranoid and that's OK. I have been paid well for many years to be as paranoid as possible without having a psychotic break with reality. But I can also say that in 24 years, I have never had a single breach or infection on any system for which I have direct authority and responsibility. I didn't get that track record by being complacent and saying "Oh this rootkit is fine because it is from Name Brand Company."

Yes, you're very well educated and also exceedingly condescending, which frankly is a terrible trait for people to have. I also haven't had any breaches or infections in over 20 years, but then I'm only responsible for my own system and nothing on there is anything anyone will care about. You're paid to be paranoid about the hardware you work with, I am not. I do not care if this puts my home computer at marginally higher risk of anything, and intimating that people are idiots for that is pretty shitty behavior. But at least you carefully worded it in a vague and ambiguous way so as not to directly violate the rules, right?

Feb 11, 2024, 23:40
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 11, 2024, 23:40
Feb 11, 2024, 23:40

keep preaching bop. i also take great pleasure in stamping out stupidity with great fury.

Feb 12, 2024, 00:02
Jim
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 00:02
Feb 12, 2024, 00:02
Jim

so in other words you gots nothing, so you are just going to go with theoretical scenarios. like someone is going to spend the time and effort it takes to develop a hack that can only target 1 million PCs that have this game installed. You know why apple computers don't have viruses? Because their market share is so small it isn't worth it.

Feb 12, 2024, 00:10
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 00:10
Feb 12, 2024, 00:10

Jim wrote on Feb 12, 2024, 00:02:

so in other words you gots nothing, so you are just going to go with theoretical scenarios. like someone is going to spend the time and effort it takes to develop a hack that can only target 1 million PCs that have this game installed. You know why apple computers don't have viruses? Because their market share is so small it isn't worth it.

compromised rootkits are real scenarios

Feb 12, 2024, 02:08
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 02:08
Feb 12, 2024, 02:08

"homage."

Put your hand in your pocket for the license, Sony.

Feb 12, 2024, 02:26
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 02:26
Feb 12, 2024, 02:26

Can someone explain to me why someone would intentionally put a rootkit into their game? Is it an anti cheat thing?

Feb 12, 2024, 04:07
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 04:07
Feb 12, 2024, 04:07

I’m truly feeling sorry for burrito guy. You write 5 paragraphs of diatribe and no joy. Any game played online in an mmo capacity has a particular “root kit” security to prevent cheating. I’ve been around decades personally so if you want to know more while enjoying this great game that in my opinion came out of left field, let’s meet in game.

Feb 12, 2024, 05:25
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 05:25
Feb 12, 2024, 05:25

Hellcinder wrote on Feb 12, 2024, 04:07:
Any game played online in an mmo capacity has a particular “root kit” security to prevent cheating.

Really?

As for the gameplay itself it looks like a pretty great game for friends to enjoy, I just want to know about longevity, I mean is it one of those games that keeps your attention for 5-10 hours and then you just don't feel like firing it up anymore or is it the real deal?

Feb 12, 2024, 06:50
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 06:50
Feb 12, 2024, 06:50

Sony BMG did this same shlte in 2005 with their XCP rootkit and it allowed viruses to evade detection by anti-virus programs news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4427606.stm

It's disingenous to say that rootkits have not "ever affected people"

Feb 12, 2024, 10:10
Prez

Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 10:10
Feb 12, 2024, 10:10
 Prez

Calling people idiots because they don't know about/don't care about rootkits is a bit harsh. I'm fairly sure that rootkits aren't scary to most people because they either have no idea what they are or have never experienced first-hand anything close to the worst case scenario because of them so they are viewed as a low or non-threat. They are the digital bogeyman to them.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 12, 2024, 10:31
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 10:31
Feb 12, 2024, 10:31

There are people whom still compute like it's the early 2000s and they are idiots in my opinion.
Amen
The internet world is not as it was decades ago.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Feb 12, 2024, 10:51
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 10:51
Feb 12, 2024, 10:51

Jim wrote on Feb 12, 2024, 00:02:

The three examples I gave you? They were not theoretical. Those are actual examples of real world rootkits. You were provided another example by a different poster of the problems that arose from the last time Sony decided to throw a rootkit out in the world.

As for Apple computers not having viruses? Now you're just showing your ignorance. Here's an article from Gizmodo, posted just three hours ago at the time of this writing, that debunks that. Oh, Apple has a page on their own site telling you how to protect your Mac from malware, too. It also covers the latest version of MacOS, too, which means it can not be simply dismissed and handwaved away with "But that's on older versions".

Not even my beloved Linux is safe from malware. POSIX based systems make it harder but not immune.

Feb 12, 2024, 11:11
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 11:11
Feb 12, 2024, 11:11

Prez wrote on Feb 12, 2024, 10:10:
Calling people idiots because they don't know about/don't care about rootkits is a bit harsh. I'm fairly sure that rootkits aren't scary to most people because they either have no idea what they are or have never experienced first-hand anything close to the worst case scenario because of them so they are viewed as a low or non-threat. They are the digital bogeyman to them.

It's more than that, Prez. My field has spent decades, and probably billions of dollars, at this point trying to get people to stop treating their computers and devices like toaster whores and educating them on the dangers they face. Everyone from tier one techs up to senior system architects have been sending the same messages and have personal, direct experience with the fallout from users that keep themselves intentionally and malignantly ignorant. We've made the message clear, we've made the message "fun" (for certain definitions of the word), we've made the message scary. We know it takes one machine, one, to plant the seed for a nightmare scenario to take root and flourish. One user's willful idiocy means headaches and fear for many other people. There's only so much myself and colleagues can do on the backend.

To put it another way, you tell someone "Don't touch the stove. It's hot and you'll burn yourself" and they keep touching the stove. Over and over and over again. They get burned, usually badly, every single time they do. At what point do you tell them "You're an idiot"?

Feb 12, 2024, 11:39
Re: Helldivers 2 Sells ~1M Feb 12, 2024, 11:39
Feb 12, 2024, 11:39

Kosumo wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 21:03:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 20:49:

Or some people are just beyond letting that bother them.

But sure, just bush them all as idiots if that's how you view the world.

Lol, this reminded me of a conversation I just had with a work buddy saying the LOTR movies are terrible and boring. I told him, well, 1 billion people can't be wrong, can they? He said, yes, that 1 billion stupid people. I guess he's the 1 correct person on this planet, lol.

That said, I'm surprised by the popularity of this game. Didn't think the original was ever that big of a hit.
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer