10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Saturday Tech Bits
Feb 12, 2024, 07:32
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 12, 2024, 07:32
Feb 12, 2024, 07:32

The Flying Penguin wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 13:14:
It's just a tool, and this tech has actually been around a decade, just required a LOT more computing power than the average individual had access to back then.

Doesn't change my mind about the 'AI' hype bubble.

It wasn't until the "Attention is all you need" paper by Google in 2018 that the LLM ball started rolling with the transformer architecture. Most AI code that is decade old, that isn't highly optimized for a domain specific problem, has been discarded and LLM's are used to replace them.

Feb 11, 2024, 13:14
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2024, 13:14
Feb 11, 2024, 13:14

My only experience with generative 'AI' is that I have found bing's copilot (online, I won't have that running as an app on any hardware) useful when I need a custom Powershell script in a hurry. I have never really learned Powershell, but I can hack it easily enough. I used to just Google for an example, and then hack it for my needs, but copilot usually gives me some clean, well documented code that I can implement quickly. Assuming, of course, I clearly explain what I want. That's the rub.

For this kind of thing it's very useful.

It's just a tool, and this tech has actually been around a decade, just required a LOT more computing power than the average individual had access to back then.

Doesn't change my mind about the 'AI' hype bubble.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Feb 11, 2024, 06:27
Prez

Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2024, 06:27
Feb 11, 2024, 06:27
 Prez

I am very cynical, so the idea of having 'faith' in anything is at best a dubious one to me.

I don't believe that people ever "lost faith" in technology. Instead, if you ask me, a large number of them have become aware that, as with anything, if someone wants something, and someone else has something, an unscrupulous rich entity will invariably step in, take control of it, monetize it, and effectively ruin it.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 11, 2024, 01:44
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2024, 01:44
Feb 11, 2024, 01:44

I live in EU where we have at least minimal (tiny) privacy rights so we have luckily been spared from being graced with Microsoft's next level spyware but it is only a matter of time. When they release that garbage here as well, there better be a way to completely remove the copilot fucker via a parachute-less ejection seat!

I'm actually surprised that O&O seems to be working according to a previous post. I would have bet money on M$ pulling a Cortana 2.0 with their copilot shit (as a reminder, Cortana was not removable from Win 10 initially w/o totally breaking any and all search functionality within the OS).
Threadcrapper Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2024, 18:45
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 10, 2024, 18:45
Feb 10, 2024, 18:45

And I'm making bank with Large Language Models (aka, AI [sic]), using them daily for everything from in home organization, music selection, hobbies, DIY repair and almost everything else I can imagine. And of course using them for work. I'm hitting OpenAI's ChatGPT usage cap almost daily, not including the hundreds of dollars I spend monthly via API.

If any tech ever perfectly embodied the notion of "a solution in search of a problem", large language models nearly perfectly embody the opposite. A solution that solves every problem.

Your mileage may vary, apparently.

Feb 10, 2024, 16:20
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 10, 2024, 16:20
Feb 10, 2024, 16:20

I'm not impressed with AI at this point, as it seems like a customized search engine with a needlessly complex UI and front end. I've taken Co-pilot off of my Win11 taskbar since I saw the first iterations in the Insider's test group, and have had no problem with doing so. I see no utility in it. To me, AI seems like a simple marketing gimmick and a possible feast and guaranteed employment for copyright lawyers...;) Not interested.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Re: Nine gates of hell = copilot
Feb 10, 2024, 15:51
Re: Nine gates of hell = copilot Feb 10, 2024, 15:51
Feb 10, 2024, 15:51

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 15:25:
Yeah, would also like a guide that let's you uninstall co-pilot completely. Except M$ saw that coming and made it integrated into the OS where removing Co-pilot would brake something important.
O&O ShutUp10++ https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
under Windows CoPilot
has switches to "Disable the Windows Copilot"* and "Disable the Copilot button from the taskbar"**
Using its "Recommended Settings" it disables both.

Hasn't broken anything for me.

*The Windows Copilot is based on ChatGPT from OpenAl and is an extension to the Al in the Microsoft search engine Bing. In order for this Al to provide answers, further system information is transmitted in addition to the user queries. To prevent this, Copilot can be disabled.
This setting is a Windows policy. This means that it necessarily changes the setting and thus can no longer be changed via the usual way (e.g. system settings).
Please note: Changing this setting requires a system reboot.

**Removes the Copilot icon from the taskbar so that the search using Al (artificial intelligence) is no longer available. This setting can be used to disable this option.
Please note: Changing this setting requires a system reboot.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Nine gates of hell = copilot
Feb 10, 2024, 15:25
Nine gates of hell = copilot Feb 10, 2024, 15:25
Feb 10, 2024, 15:25

Yeah, would also like a guide that let's you uninstall co-pilot completely. Except M$ saw that coming and made it integrated into the OS where removing Co-pilot would break something important.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2024, 17:16.

Feb 10, 2024, 13:57
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 10, 2024, 13:57
Feb 10, 2024, 13:57

"Windows 11 is getting smart Copilot actions and animations; here is how to enable them."

Where is the "disable/I don't want more M$ crap" guide? (no, I'm not going to Linux either)

Feb 10, 2024, 13:24
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 10, 2024, 13:24
Feb 10, 2024, 13:24

You can't lose something in which you never had faith.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older