Out of the Blue

Happy Lunar New Year, as today kicks off the year of the Dragon on the Chinese calendar. This evokes the Bruce Lee movie Enter the Dragon. That's appropriate, since the legendary martial artist was born under this sign, considered the most auspicious in the Chinese Zodiac. Specifically this is the year of the Wood Dragon, despite wood being, you know, inflammable. So happy year of the Dragon! Though I know for a few week's I'll still be writing year of the Rabbit on my checks.

Obituary: John Walker, Founder of Autodesk, Dies At 74. Thanks Slashdot via Ant.

Lunar Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Brunch Link

Story

Science

Media

Follow-up

View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag
Feb 10, 2024, 22:57
Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag Feb 10, 2024, 22:57
Feb 10, 2024, 22:57

some real capsaicin afficionados up in here. i like hot food - i can slurp tabasco straight nbd, but reapers and habaneros and such are like 10,000x hotter. fuckin maniacs.

Feb 10, 2024, 21:24
Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag Feb 10, 2024, 21:24
Feb 10, 2024, 21:24

It appears that a potential disaster has been diverted.
Taylor Swift’s private jet, labeled “The Football Era,” arrived from Tokyo’s Haneda Airport to Los Angeles’ LAX airport just after 3:30 p.m.

Giving her plenty of time to travel onward to Las Vegas where there is some type of top-notch dish.
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Feb 10, 2024, 21:12
Prez

Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag Feb 10, 2024, 21:12
Feb 10, 2024, 21:12
 Prez

Really impressed by how good the last Predator movie was. It had some groan-inducing dialogue here and there but honestly it was better than it had any right to be. The lead actress also has the most badass name in all of Hollywood too. 😁
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 10, 2024, 20:43
PHJF

Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag Feb 10, 2024, 20:43
Feb 10, 2024, 20:43
 PHJF

Buy an extremely hot sauce and add a little of it to less hot sauces. I have a little bottle of Da Bomb in my fridge that I add 1tsp - 1tbsp to other bottles of hot sauce.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Feb 10, 2024, 20:10
Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag Feb 10, 2024, 20:10
Feb 10, 2024, 20:10

Jim wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 16:22:
I like hot sauces and powders. I wish carolina reapers were affordable (ie: cheap) but nope. Habaneros are reasonable but for some reason they seem to lose their kick after a few weeks. So 5 lbs red pepper flakes. Vacuum and freeze them in 1 lb bags.

So why not just grow the Reapers? They're not a finicky crop in my experience. A healthy bush produces a bunch of them and they vacuum seal and freeze well. Or dehydrate them and/or powder them.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 10, 2024, 16:22
Jim
Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag Feb 10, 2024, 16:22
Feb 10, 2024, 16:22
Jim

I like hot sauces and powders. I wish carolina reapers were affordable (ie: cheap) but nope. Habaneros are reasonable but for some reason they seem to lose their kick after a few weeks. So 5 lbs red pepper flakes. Vacuum and freeze them in 1 lb bags.

Feb 10, 2024, 14:31
Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag Feb 10, 2024, 14:31
Feb 10, 2024, 14:31

Nice one, Centurion. Like it. Like it.
Nod
"While playing golf today I hit two good balls. I stepped on a rake." - Henny Youngman

Feb 10, 2024, 13:42
Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag Feb 10, 2024, 13:42
Feb 10, 2024, 13:42

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 12:44:
As long as Badlands is as good as Prey, I am down for another Predator movie. I rather enjoyed Trachtenberg's last outing in the franchise. The only Predator movie I do not like is AvP2.

I have to agree on AvP2. I have been going through my collection of various DVDs and Blu-ray discs to checkout the extras and listening to the commentaries. Something I haven't done for a great majority of them.

Just a few days ago I went through Predator. It had some quality on set interviews and behind the scenes features and the John McTiernan commentary was pretty good. My copy of Predator 2 only had photos and no commentary. Lame.

My favorites are still the John Carpenter and Kurt Russel commentaries on The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China. They give a lot of good information about the making of each and you can tell they are good friends.

Feb 10, 2024, 12:44
Re: OotB: Draggin' out the old gag Feb 10, 2024, 12:44
Feb 10, 2024, 12:44

As long as Badlands is as good as Prey, I am down for another Predator movie. I rather enjoyed Trachtenberg's last outing in the franchise. The only Predator movie I do not like is AvP2.

/---\

I love spicy food. We grew Carolina Reapers a few years back and enjoyed their addition to some dishes tremendously. However, what I do not enjoy is that some people equate heat with flavor. Heat is great but it is an addition to flavor, not the substitute for it. My mom likes to tell the story of my first interaction with Tabasco. I was a wee thing and had just transitioned from breast milk to solid food. My mom discovered that I loved scrambled eggs. So she made some for she and I. She put Tabasco on the eggs on one plate meant for her and none of the other, meant for me. Without thinking because she was busy, she accidentally swapped the plates because she received a phone call she had been waiting to get. She gets done with the call, turns around, and finds me just stuffing these Tabasco loaded eggs in to my mouth with my bare hands. Outside of a runny nose, she says I did not have a single issue. She tried serving me plain eggs at another time and I apparently just wasn't having it until she put Tabasco on them.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older