47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Re: Engagement Ring
Feb 9, 2024, 19:06
Prez

Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 19:06
Feb 9, 2024, 19:06
 Prez

For the life of me I will never understand why writers think that this is big news about a single player game. It's not a live service, and it has an end. It was released 5 months ago. I can't think of one single player game that I was playing 5 months straight after release. My favorite game of all time, XCOM 2, had me playing about 2 straight months before I took a break from it.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 9, 2024, 20:06
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 20:06
Feb 9, 2024, 20:06

Pssst
Don't tell WannaLogAlready.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Feb 9, 2024, 20:28
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 20:28
Feb 9, 2024, 20:28

Prez wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 19:06:
For the life of me I will never understand why writers think that this is big news about a single player game. It's not a live service, and it has an end. It was released 5 months ago. I can't think of one single player game that I was playing 5 months straight after release. My favorite game of all time, XCOM 2, had me playing about 2 straight months before I took a break from it.

In some cases this may be true, but the article puts it into better context. Starfield has 9,000 concurrent players at the writing of the article, while Skyrim which is more than 10 years old, has 25,000 concurrent players. Fallout 4 is averaging 15,000 concurrent players. It's not just that it has an end, so do those other games yet years and years after their release dates, they are eclipsing Starfield in player counts. Plain and simple, compared to almost any other Bethesda game, Starfield is a failure. Not financially, I'm sure, but then it sold largely based on the love for previous Bethesda games, not on its own merits.

Feb 9, 2024, 20:41
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 20:41
Feb 9, 2024, 20:41

Teddy wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 20:28:

In some cases this may be true, but the article puts it into better context. Starfield has 9,000 concurrent players at the writing of the article, while Skyrim which is more than 10 years old, has 25,000 concurrent players. Fallout 4 is averaging 15,000 concurrent players. It's not just that it has an end, so do those other games yet years and years after their release dates, they are eclipsing Starfield in player counts. Plain and simple, compared to almost any other Bethesda game, Starfield is a failure. Not financially, I'm sure, but then it sold largely based on the love for previous Bethesda games, not on its own merits.
Both Skyrim and Fallout also have released their official mod tools, and thus really aren't comparable. Now, while Starfield has modding already taking place, they are not to the degree of Skyrim or Fallout.

That being said, I enjoyed the game from start to finish and I am holding off until the DLC comes out to continue playing, and, anecdotally, the friends I have that also own it are doing the same....

Feb 9, 2024, 20:49
Prez

Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 20:49
Feb 9, 2024, 20:49
 Prez

That is true (not the part of Starfield being a failure) To be sure, Skyrim was better received and is arguably a better game. But as has been mentioned, this isn't contextually accurate either. Skyrim had lost 90% of it's players after 5 months following release. I don't think Starfield is going to have the legs that Skyrim has, but let's be honest, most games don't.

It is just another annoying example of taking cherry picked snapshots of data without proper context and having that be your article. I hate lazy writing.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Morning Patches
Feb 9, 2024, 22:09
Re: Morning Patches Feb 9, 2024, 22:09
Feb 9, 2024, 22:09

Yea it just seems like people are just eager to point out how much of a 'failure' Starfield is. As has been mentioned, mods keep games alive. Starfield isn't the sandbox that their previous games were, so it's more of a one-and-done deal. In a year those Starfield numbers will bounce up, no doubt. God I feel dirty defending Starfield.

Feb 9, 2024, 22:11
Jivaro

Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 22:11
Feb 9, 2024, 22:11
 Jivaro

many developers would love to have that kind of "failure"

When the mod tools are properly released there will be a spike again.....time will tell if it lasts at all.

Feb 9, 2024, 22:22
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 22:22
Feb 9, 2024, 22:22

Prez wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 20:49:

Skyrim had lost 90% of it's players after 5 months following release.

Except that is not actually true. Having looked it up, 287k peak at release Nov 7 2011, 48k April 9 2012. Starfield on the other hand released with a peak of 330k and dropped to a current peak of 17k, 5 months later for equal comparisons. Again, comparing Bethesda games against one another, Starfield is a failure. People can throw out as many anecdotal "Me and my friend's loved it and are waiting on DLC or mods" all they want. The numbers make it clear that it simply was not as popular a game, despite high initial sales.

Feb 9, 2024, 22:31
Prez

Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 22:31
Feb 9, 2024, 22:31
 Prez

Those aren't the same numbers I found. I searched steam stats history for Skyrim. It has been rereleased a couple of times so that is one reason there might be a discrepancy.

Regardless, you calling Starfield a failure repeatedly tells me that you're not really showing a reasonable objective take. I don't have a dog in this fight, and seeing as how you aren't exactly objective yourself there's really no point in continuing to discuss it. My original point, that the article was misleading and lazy, still stands.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 9, 2024, 22:55
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 22:55
Feb 9, 2024, 22:55

Teddy wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 22:22:
Prez wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 20:49:

Skyrim had lost 90% of it's players after 5 months following release.

Except that is not actually true. Having looked it up, 287k peak at release Nov 7 2011, 48k April 9 2012. Starfield on the other hand released with a peak of 330k and dropped to a current peak of 17k, 5 months later for equal comparisons. Again, comparing Bethesda games against one another, Starfield is a failure. People can throw out as many anecdotal "Me and my friend's loved it and are waiting on DLC or mods" all they want. The numbers make it clear that it simply was not as popular a game, despite high initial sales.
My anecdotal evidence is no different than yours...you're using a metric that doesn't tell the entire story and willfully ignoring the very stark differences in your original comparison.

Feb 9, 2024, 22:59
Re: Morning Patches Feb 9, 2024, 22:59
Feb 9, 2024, 22:59

Teddy wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 22:22:
Having looked it up, 287k peak at release Nov 7 2011, 48k April 9 2012. Starfield on the other hand released with a peak of 330k and dropped to a current peak of 17k, 5 months later for equal comparisons. Again, comparing Bethesda games against one another, Starfield is a failure. People can throw out as many anecdotal "Me and my friend's loved it and are waiting on DLC or mods" all they want. The numbers make it clear that it simply was not as popular a game, despite high initial sales.

I looked up the numbers and those seem accurate. Skyrim is more popular than Starfield. But to label Starfield as a failure is strange. Like Jivaro said, many devs would love to have that kind of 'failure'. I don't think any single player game will ever have the legs that Skyrim has, so if you're looking to beat that... well, good luck. In the long run, Starfield will likely make Beth more money than Skyrim ever did, though. And that's all that matters to them.

Feb 9, 2024, 23:10
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 9, 2024, 23:10
Feb 9, 2024, 23:10

Playing the same short story over and over isn't fun. Who knew?

Feb 9, 2024, 23:12
Prez

Re: Morning Patches Feb 9, 2024, 23:12
Feb 9, 2024, 23:12
 Prez

I apologize for incorrect representation of the numbers. I apparently didn't get them right. It remains exceedingly silly to compare them to the numbers that Skyrim is posting or has posted however. Most any game is going to come up short - Skyrim was a one-of-a-kind success. But again, my purpose was really to just apologize for my error. There's a way to write a fair and balanced article comparing and contrasting stats at different time periods taking into account further context such as mod tools and the like. This article failed spectacularly in doing that.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2024, 23:26.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 10, 2024, 05:24
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 05:24
Feb 10, 2024, 05:24

Both Skyrim (The Elder Scrolls) and Fallout 4 (Fallout) where sequels (both the fourth?) to very successful IPs.

Stanfield is a completely new IP (although similar in ways by using the same engine/format/design).

Not a good comparison imho.

Feb 10, 2024, 09:39
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 09:39
Feb 10, 2024, 09:39

Counter argument: I still have Skyrim SE installed and played it just yesterday....
And with some of the new mods, it's downright insanely glorious

And what would bring anyone back to Starfield? More boring planets with nothing to find on em aside from the same 21 POIs copy and pasted? Or redoing the 30 something interesting quests, vs 14 times as many in Skyrim SE ? Hah

Feb 10, 2024, 10:18
Prez

Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 10:18
Feb 10, 2024, 10:18
 Prez

I really liked Skyrim - played it for about a year off and on. A couple of hundred hours I would guess. But I don't really feel compelled to go back to it right now without a huge mod (several are on the way but it's not realistic to expect that any huge mod that was made for free will ever come out).

I'm excited to dive into Starfield. I like making up my own mind. I might even be spending even more time in it than I did in Skyrim when mods inevitably come out for it.

So there's a counter-counter point I guess?

Oh, and remember this conversation if you can. I would be tickled if in 2 years if all of the journalists are falling over each other fellating Starfield in their articles because "It's is an all new game" 😁. Not a prediction, but I have seen it so many times.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 10, 2024, 10:46
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 10:46
Feb 10, 2024, 10:46

Much ado about nothing. Bethesda already made at least a couple hundred million off of Starfield, and the player numbers will jump back up whenever they release a big patch, and/or the official mod tools.

I think every single person I know who has a PC or modern console bought the game....and all of them, including myself, bought it for near full price or more, with the deluxe versions or whatever. It sold, a lot. Even if everybody uninstalled and quit that shit today, Bethesda would probably still count it as a success.

I haven't played it in months, but I still have it installed, I was waiting for the mod scene to mature a bit. The game definitely has problems, but once again, I'm sure the modders will come to Bethesda's (or really the players' ) rescue.

Feb 10, 2024, 10:54
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 10:54
Feb 10, 2024, 10:54

Skyrim is one of the very few games that I have played more than many others. Without significant changes to Starfield, I cannot see myself doing the same thing. At the most basic level, the difference between the two is cohesion. Skyrim flows from one step to the next. Starfield is broken up and far too often. It's, essentially, three different games welded together without smooth transitions between them. The abruptness of them makes you mentally switch modes in a way that isn't comfortable or natural.

Which sucks for me because I was really looking forward to Starfield prior to launch. I had hoped for a Skyrim in space where I would be exploring planets, hulks, and discovering quests in the process of that exploration.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 10, 2024, 11:01
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 11:01
Feb 10, 2024, 11:01

Simple:

Bethesda had one job and was given a year more by MS to deliver, and they produced a poor game.

When even a so big and costly undertaking with many aspects to catch your interests is at best a mediocre entertainment for some and at worst an ugly boring rehashing fest for others, more demanding of minimum quality results for their money and time.

Worst rated Bethesda single player game, 62% Steam all time average, Metacritic user score 6.9.
If you read the reviews, so many "positives" are just an expression of hope for a future turn around or a borderline neutral.

Initially sold well based on Bethesda's reputation inertia.
That has taken a hit and that kind of hype won't happen for their next game.

I don't have great expectations for that anymore.

Feb 10, 2024, 11:40
Prez

Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 11:40
Feb 10, 2024, 11:40
 Prez

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 10:46:
Much ado about nothing. Bethesda already made at least a couple hundred million off of Starfield, and the player numbers will jump back up whenever they release a big patch, and/or the official mod tools.

I think every single person I know who has a PC or modern console bought the game....and all of them, including myself, bought it for near full price or more, with the deluxe versions or whatever. It sold, a lot. Even if everybody uninstalled and quit that shit today, Bethesda would probably still count it as a success.

I haven't played it in months, but I still have it installed, I was waiting for the mod scene to mature a bit. The game definitely has problems, but once again, I'm sure the modders will come to Bethesda's (or really the players' ) rescue.

That to me is what makes a game like this a success or failure. Financially, it is a rousing success by any metric. But that is only half of it. Many games were great but not financial successes. The other half is how compelled you are to play it a year, or 5, or maybe even 10 or more years later. I still play X-Com over 30 years later. Same with Baldurs Gate. Master of Orion. The original Jagged Alliance. Many, many more. Even the ones I don't play much any more, I still remember fondly. I am sure that if I am alive in 10 years, I will still be going back to Skyrim. I can't know if that will be the case with Starfield, but no one else does either. Right now, it can only be considered a commercial and critical success. (83 on metacritic with 90 reviews at the time of this writing)
- Mahatma Gandhi
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer