47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Engagement Ring
Feb 14, 2024, 09:47
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 14, 2024, 09:47
Feb 14, 2024, 09:47

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 10:55:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 12:37:
Fundamental flaws with Starfield may never get fixed, but I do REALLY like the ship building aspect.

I'm of the opposite opinion but I am honestly glad you are enjoying it.

To me, the ship building reminds me of Snap-Tite models. You aren't building a ship, you are simply assembling ships from a fairly limited set of pre-built modules plus some disheartening restrictions even during the assembly. I wasn't looking for a Stormworks level of building or systems simulation but I did want more depth. A lot more depth. Why can't I have multiple power plants? Why can't I extrude points on the ship pieces to make the shapes I want? Then have the interior conform to those shapes appropriately? I had a lot of "why can't I" questions. On top of that, the lack of disconnected parts that sometimes clip inside of other parts not being highlighted was frustrating. I also absolutely hated how the camera worked in ship building. It was sluggish and snapped to fixed points frequently. Points I didn't want the camera to be at. Why is every piece essentially just a square or a rectangle? Where are the conformal curved surfaces or spherical shapes?

I just felt very frustrated with it and limited by it. If you're going to tell me I can build a ship, then let me actually build a ship, damn it!

Oh, the ship building isn't perfect, but I do believe there are already a couple of mods that let you do more of what you're looking for, ie. fewer limitations. The snapping/overlapping corners shit will probably never get fixed in this engine though.

Feb 13, 2024, 11:13
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 13, 2024, 11:13
Feb 13, 2024, 11:13

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Feb 12, 2024, 13:13:
GothicWizard wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 21:14:
Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 14:16:
Cyberpunk SUX0RS, blah, blah, blah... That's what they said

Mark my words, in two years' time Starfield is going to blow up... Fucking Todd already told you all to upgrade your shit.

2077 had a solid foundation of amazing writing, actors, characters, story, art direction and music. Most of its issues were technical, game mechanics. Very few people were complaining about the story, acting, atmosphere, music, art direction, GFX, animations, etc. With 2077 you could patch it into a great game as the foundations were solid. That isn't so with SF. SF is at its core a bad game, everything I stated as 2077 high points is, at best, mediocre in SF. You can't patch out the endless loading screens without redoing the entire engine. They are not going to re-write the characters and bring in the cast for a re-do. They are not going to patch in a whole new main story. You can not patch a bad game at its core into a great, or even good, game.

Like I said blah, blah blah.

a simple google search filtered with a date range of 2020 -2021 tells a very different story.

A lot of the criticism of Cyberpunk 2077 that isn't based on bugs or the console problems has pointed out that the plot, setting, and quests often feel incomplete or loosely stitched together

Cyberpunk 2077’s problems do not end with the technical and performance issues that CDPR is trying to patch out, nor do the game's problems end with the bad reputation it got after its original launch, which it may never be able to fully shake. Cyberpunk 2077’s problems lie at a fundamental level, which no amount of gameplay patches could fix.

Visually, the game is last-gen make no mistake, if you’re expecting to be blown away by the visuals, then I’m sorry to disappoint.

looking at the steam hardware survey in December 2020 we see the dual and quad core CPU's with GTX 1060 ruled the day, and CP2077 was poorly optimized.

Today six and eight core CPUs the the most common, and RTX 3060, and CP2077 has finely been optimized.

Loading screens, CP2077 has a loading screen when you fast travel, or enter a structure, where as Starfield has a loading screen when you enter a structure or fast travel...Same holds true for Skyrim and Fallout 4, not really understanding the issue, other then Starfield isn't No mans Sky.

From the first link;

"A lot of the criticism of Cyberpunk 2077 that isn't based on bugs or the console problems has pointed out that the plot, setting, and quests often feel incomplete or loosely stitched together. Combat and overall difficulty have also been criticized. These are issues that CDPR can address to some degree, either with patches or DLC. There's a lot more precedent for believing the company will fix the game, based on how titles like No Man's Sky, Final Fantasy XIV, Battlefront II, Destiny, and The Division 2 evolved after launch. One of the relatively new trends in gaming has been the emergence of titles that are not allowed to fail, and publishers willing to pour money into them until they've been rescued from the bottom of the bin."

I don't see how any of my core points disputed by this article. Where is it saying the writing, story acting, characters, music, etc is bad or massively disappointing by any significant group?

The second link aged like milk.

Third link some no name site I am not going to waste my time on, just shows me how bottom of the barrel you are scraping to be 'right'. Lastly you are confusing performance of visual fidelity vs visual fidelity itself. I suggest you grasp and understand the difference. They are two very different things.

My work is done here.

Feb 12, 2024, 13:13
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 12, 2024, 13:13
Feb 12, 2024, 13:13

GothicWizard wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 21:14:

Mark my words, in two years' time Starfield is going to blow up... Fucking Todd already told you all to upgrade your shit.

2077 had a solid foundation of amazing writing, actors, characters, story, art direction and music. Most of its issues were technical, game mechanics. Very few people were complaining about the story, acting, atmosphere, music, art direction, GFX, animations, etc. With 2077 you could patch it into a great game as the foundations were solid. That isn't so with SF. SF is at its core a bad game, everything I stated as 2077 high points is, at best, mediocre in SF. You can't patch out the endless loading screens without redoing the entire engine. They are not going to re-write the characters and bring in the cast for a re-do. They are not going to patch in a whole new main story. You can not patch a bad game at its core into a great, or even good, game.

Like I said blah, blah blah.

a simple google search filtered with a date range of 2020 -2021 tells a very different story.

A lot of the criticism of Cyberpunk 2077 that isn't based on bugs or the console problems has pointed out that the plot, setting, and quests often feel incomplete or loosely stitched together

Cyberpunk 2077’s problems do not end with the technical and performance issues that CDPR is trying to patch out, nor do the game's problems end with the bad reputation it got after its original launch, which it may never be able to fully shake. Cyberpunk 2077’s problems lie at a fundamental level, which no amount of gameplay patches could fix.

Visually, the game is last-gen make no mistake, if you’re expecting to be blown away by the visuals, then I’m sorry to disappoint.

looking at the steam hardware survey in December 2020 we see the dual and quad core CPU's with GTX 1060 ruled the day, and CP2077 was poorly optimized.

Today six and eight core CPUs the the most common, and RTX 3060, and CP2077 has finely been optimized.

Loading screens, CP2077 has a loading screen when you fast travel, or enter a structure, where as Starfield has a loading screen when you enter a structure or fast travel...Same holds true for Skyrim and Fallout 4, not really understanding the issue, other then Starfield isn't No mans Sky.

Feb 11, 2024, 21:14
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 21:14
Feb 11, 2024, 21:14

Feb 11, 2024, 14:16
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 14:16
Feb 11, 2024, 14:16

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2024, 19:51.

Feb 11, 2024, 13:27
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 13:27
Feb 11, 2024, 13:27

hehe-apparently 97% didn't. I played it for 10 minutes on xbox pass and gave it a pass. It felt dead from the start. I guess it doesn't get much better after the first ten minutes.

Feb 11, 2024, 13:06
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 13:06
Feb 11, 2024, 13:06

I didn't think so but wanted clarity.

I think it is fair to say that a person doesn't have an informed opinion unless they've got first hand knowledge of the subject.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 11, 2024, 12:43
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 12:43
Feb 11, 2024, 12:43

Nahh
Mentioned the subject of VR as an example of multiple opinions -positive or negative- given by people who never tried it (seriously or not a all) as if they had.
Or barely tried without knowing about IP adjustments, etc.

Didn't try Starfield ? ok to prudently theorize and have an interest, but opposing experiences when you don't really have any yet to judge by is kind of funny.

Like commenting a book or movie you didn't experience yet.
You may think that the subject matter or the authors, etc are for or aren't for you, but you don't really know, you may be surprised in unexpected ways.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2024, 13:02.

Feb 11, 2024, 12:12
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 12:12
Feb 11, 2024, 12:12

WannaLogAlready wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 11:30:
Obviously the really valid personal opinions are from those that already seriously tried it (like with VR, none of your preconceptions, please, did you play or not.).

Are you suggesting that the only valid personal opinions are solely from those who played it with a VR headset?
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Feb 11, 2024, 11:30
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 11:30
Feb 11, 2024, 11:30

So, as is natural, some liked Starfield -good for them-, some didn't.

Obviously the really valid personal opinions are from those that already seriously tried it (like with VR, none of your preconceptions, please, did you play or not.).

Anyway, a Bethesda game used to be a big deal and good contenders to game of the year.

I don't believe that anyone can say it is an excellent game or GOTY material, not even close.
Plentiful to do for many, or dwells in themes they always enjoy, sure.

Bethesda just did a poor job (the loading, the Fedex quests, copypasted locations, no maps,
the running with no faster travel, poor main quest, 3 or 4 main deserted cities that seem big but you explore like towns, space but no real space exploring, no aliens !, etc.).

Can anyone that played the game, negate these glaring badly done weaknesses ?

Feb 11, 2024, 10:55
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 10:55
Feb 11, 2024, 10:55

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 12:37:
Fundamental flaws with Starfield may never get fixed, but I do REALLY like the ship building aspect.

I'm of the opposite opinion but I am honestly glad you are enjoying it.

To me, the ship building reminds me of Snap-Tite models. You aren't building a ship, you are simply assembling ships from a fairly limited set of pre-built modules plus some disheartening restrictions even during the assembly. I wasn't looking for a Stormworks level of building or systems simulation but I did want more depth. A lot more depth. Why can't I have multiple power plants? Why can't I extrude points on the ship pieces to make the shapes I want? Then have the interior conform to those shapes appropriately? I had a lot of "why can't I" questions. On top of that, the lack of disconnected parts that sometimes clip inside of other parts not being highlighted was frustrating. I also absolutely hated how the camera worked in ship building. It was sluggish and snapped to fixed points frequently. Points I didn't want the camera to be at. Why is every piece essentially just a square or a rectangle? Where are the conformal curved surfaces or spherical shapes?

I just felt very frustrated with it and limited by it. If you're going to tell me I can build a ship, then let me actually build a ship, damn it!

Feb 11, 2024, 08:46
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 08:46
Feb 11, 2024, 08:46

Kastagir wrote on Feb 11, 2024, 01:34:
Glad to see some are enjoying the game and are happy to wait for BGS to make it enjoyable enough to justify their purchase. Personally, I won't give $0.01 to a studio that insists on using obsolete technology and justifies it with lies, incompetence and a boring product but that's just me. While it's true that Starfield likely made $200M+ let's not forget that Microsoft paid $6.5BN to purchase BGS and expectations were that Starfield would yield a much larger profit through XBox exclusives. Once the modding tools and DLC are released maybe they will. That's great for those MS corporate guys like Phil Spencer, et al. It doesn't fill me with hope or giddy expectation for the next Elder Scrolls since they'll still be using this same broken engine developed by the same incompetent people and represented by the same lying game director.
Whatever happened to the days of letting people enjoy what they want without veiling it behind a poor underhanded insult?

If you don't like what a game does, then that is your choice, but to blanket statement with subjective opinions as if they are objective facts just screams bandwagoning.

Feb 11, 2024, 01:34
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 11, 2024, 01:34
Feb 11, 2024, 01:34

Glad to see some are enjoying the game and are happy to wait for BGS to make it enjoyable enough to justify their purchase. Personally, I won't give $0.01 to a studio that insists on using obsolete technology and justifies it with lies, incompetence and a boring product but that's just me. While it's true that Starfield likely made $200M+ let's not forget that Microsoft paid $6.5BN to purchase BGS and expectations were that Starfield would yield a much larger profit through XBox exclusives. Once the modding tools and DLC are released maybe they will. That's great for those MS corporate guys like Phil Spencer, et al. It doesn't fill me with hope or giddy expectation for the next Elder Scrolls since they'll still be using this same broken engine developed by the same incompetent people and represented by the same lying game director.

Feb 10, 2024, 23:03
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 23:03
Feb 10, 2024, 23:03

GothicWizard wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 14:29:
Prez wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 19:06:
For the life of me I will never understand why writers think that this is big news about a single player game. It's not a live service, and it has an end. It was released 5 months ago. I can't think of one single player game that I was playing 5 months straight after release. My favorite game of all time, XCOM 2, had me playing about 2 straight months before I took a break from it.

Please explain to me why a 10 yr old SP game (Skyrim SE and FO4) has at least twice the number of players than this one by your logic.

Also BG3 is still over 110,000 players and just as old and SP.

*grabs popcorn*
BG3 also has a fairly robust modding scene.. it's also not just single player... it's also a completely different type of game...

Can you see where I am going with this? You're not debating in good faith and are using very vague comparisons to support your flimsy argument.

Feb 10, 2024, 20:13
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 20:13
Feb 10, 2024, 20:13

BG3 has been publicly available for years, its oldest mods are from 2020... Of course there has been more activity in that section of Nexus.

Feb 10, 2024, 19:41
Prez

Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 19:41
Feb 10, 2024, 19:41
 Prez

The point was never to get into a dick-measuring contest about which game is better. If you think you can determine that by a snapshot in time of a single data point with no other context you are thinking like a simpleton. My original point, as it has been from my very first post, is that the article is completely lacking in any value and likely deliberately misleading. After all, when it's cool to hate something, we gotta go all in. Gotta get those clicks - better keep the feeding frenzy going. Knock yourselves out with comparing games by current player counts as if that proves anything. It's a singular piece that when taken in context of many other datapoints could give you a better picture of trends and week-to-week engagement. Most people can't see past the nose on their face on issues that are infinitely more important than whose game is 'gooder', so I can't even pretend to be surprised. If you can't think more critically than "my game gooder than yours, you big dumb" then please, go right ahead. No skin off my nose.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2024, 19:52.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 10, 2024, 19:08
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 19:08
Feb 10, 2024, 19:08

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 17:47:
For the life of me I will never understand why writers think that this is big news about a single player game. It's not a live service, and it has an end. It was released 5 months ago. I can't think of one single player game that I was playing 5 months straight after release. My favorite game of all time, XCOM 2, had me playing about 2 straight months before I took a break from it.

Please explain to me why a 10 yr old SP game (Skyrim SE and FO4) has at least twice the number of players than this one by your logic.

*grabs popcorn*

BG3 has 160k right now, it's called a weekend Still insanely high numbers for a game of this type no matter what.
Skyrim SE = 30k
Starfield = 10k
CS2 = 7k
CS1 = 8k (lmao)

Funfact, I too am playing CS1 right now... still hoping CS2 will catch up but doesn't look like it, the last videos by content creators where disastercity for the developers. Half the simulation doesn't even WORK.

Full transparency; when I looked last a week ago, on a weekday it was ~115K for BG3 so I used that number knowing it would be at least that. Irrelevant what time of the week you want to take a snapshot of BG3 about as old, a SP game is at LEAST 11 times the players vs SF. That's my overall point, so I take issue with his logic. It's clearly none of the variables he brings up. It's the one he wants to avoid, it's just a bad fucking game that most everyone got tired of quick.

And to all the 'modders will save it' brigade, I suppose you missed the multiple articles of several big name BGS modders walking away from SF claiming it's fundamentally broken and not worth the effort. According to Nexus numbers as I type this while they each about about the same amount of mods (SF a bit more) BG3 has 3x the downloads. Shows which community is more active, interested.

Feb 10, 2024, 18:55
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 18:55
Feb 10, 2024, 18:55

Prez wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 15:52:
Ignored
Feb 10, 2024, 14:29
GothicWizard
To view this user's posts click on the username.

LOL I don't even remember why but if you made it on my ignore list you definitely belong there.

Because you are a thin skinned man child IIRC?

Feb 10, 2024, 17:47
Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 17:47
Feb 10, 2024, 17:47

*grabs popcorn*

BG3 has 160k right now, it's called a weekend Still insanely high numbers for a game of this type no matter what.
Skyrim SE = 30k
Starfield = 10k
CS2 = 7k
CS1 = 8k (lmao)

Funfact, I too am playing CS1 right now... still hoping CS2 will catch up but doesn't look like it, the last videos by content creators where disastercity for the developers. Half the simulation doesn't even WORK.

Feb 10, 2024, 16:52
Prez

Re: Engagement Ring Feb 10, 2024, 16:52
Feb 10, 2024, 16:52
 Prez

For what it's worth I am still holding out hope for City Skylines 2.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older