Out of the Blue

Wow am I ever captivated by Masters of the Air, the Apple TV+ series about the allied air campaign in Europe during World War II. I grew up fascinated by aircraft and read a lot about World War II aerial combat, though this was more about the war in the Pacific since my other fascination was aircraft carriers. There are so many external details about how things played out in the ETO that make for drama. But it is oh-so terribly tragic. Seeing recreations of the bravery and dedication to each other of these airmen showed is staggering, especially knowing they suffered such a overwhelming casualties. This is hard to watch, but it's impossible to turn away.

Round-up
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media
Thanks RedEye9.

Creature Features

Follow-up

View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: OotB: Mastery
Feb 11, 2024, 14:07
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 11, 2024, 14:07
Feb 11, 2024, 14:07

Prez wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 09:11:
11 best prog rock tracks to test your hi-fi system

Don't have a hifi system to test; just wanted to express how happy I am that Dream Theater and Coheed and Cambria got shout-outs in an article on Bluesnews.

Are you stoked about Portnoy returning? I was one of the people that was perfectly happy with Mangini, but I'm excited to see what Portnoy can do with them after more than a decade away.

Feb 10, 2024, 14:55
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 10, 2024, 14:55
Feb 10, 2024, 14:55

The Flying Penguin wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 11:59:
As it so happens, I recently read "Thunder Below!", about the exploits of the USS Barb, written by it's captain. It's amazing that he kept such detailed log entries, coupled with the unofficial (and illegal) diary, kept by one of the crew, that he also referenced in the book. Yes, there is so much there that could be the basis for a mini series, if done properly.

That is a solid book. If you are in to US naval history, you may also like Six Frigates by Ian Toll. It covers the backstory of the founding of the US Navy, the first heavy frigates ever successfully built in the world, and the absolute political shitshow that went on behind the scenes during the construction of the ships and the creation of the Navy. I was not at all surprised to learn that a political group calling themselves Republicans (not affiliated with the political party of the same name today) were just as stupid, short sighted, and obstructionist as the modern Republican party.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 10, 2024, 11:59
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 10, 2024, 11:59
Feb 10, 2024, 11:59

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 14:10:
Since we are revisiting the "glory" of WW2, I would absolutely love to see a limited series based on the exploits of the USS Barb (SS-220). That sub was legendary in its own day, not after the fact. It is also the only sub in US history to blow up a train AND bridge without the use of a missile.

As it so happens, I recently read "Thunder Below!", about the exploits of the USS Barb, written by it's captain. It's amazing that he kept such detailed log entries, coupled with the unofficial (and illegal) diary, kept by one of the crew, that he also referenced in the book. Yes, there is so much there that could be the basis for a mini series, if done properly.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Re: Augmented-cotton bandage kills bacteria without using antibiotics.
Feb 10, 2024, 11:28
Re: Augmented-cotton bandage kills bacteria without using antibiotics. Feb 10, 2024, 11:28
Feb 10, 2024, 11:28

MeanJim wrote on Feb 10, 2024, 03:12:
1. For medical use you want Manuka honey, not just any "honey" from the grocery store will do.

Medihoney works very well and can be purchased from Amazon, among other places, deprecating the need for a specific type of honey that most places don't carry. However, while Manuka works, it is not the only honey type with the same properties. There's a reason I selected the link I did.

B. Bleach and fire also kill bacteria. Flamethrower

Do you carry bleach in your first aid kit? I don't.

3. Don't get medical advice from the internet, especially gaming forums. Talk to your doctor first.

Good advice but the link I posted goes to the NIH...which is where your doctor (in the US) also sources some of their information.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Feb 10, 2024, 09:11
Prez

Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 10, 2024, 09:11
Feb 10, 2024, 09:11
 Prez

11 best prog rock tracks to test your hi-fi system

Don't have a hifi system to test; just wanted to express how happy I am that Dream Theater and Coheed and Cambria got shout-outs in an article on Bluesnews.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 10, 2024, 03:12
Re: Augmented-cotton bandage kills bacteria without using antibiotics. Feb 10, 2024, 03:12
Feb 10, 2024, 03:12

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 13:30:
Honey also works great as an antibiotic when a light coating is put on the wound facing side of a bandage. It's cheap and easy to source.
1. For medical use you want Manuka honey, not just any "honey" from the grocery store will do.
B. Bleach and fire also kill bacteria. Flamethrower
3. Don't get medical advice from the internet, especially gaming forums. Talk to your doctor first.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety

Feb 10, 2024, 01:04
Re: Augmented-cotton bandage kills bacteria without using antibiotics. Feb 10, 2024, 01:04
Feb 10, 2024, 01:04

jdreyer wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 21:38:
Honey also works great as an antibiotic when a light coating is put on the wound facing side of a bandage. It's cheap and easy to source.
The trick is getting real honey.

Fair but almost every location, even my BFE sticksville, has a farmer's market somewhere close where you can buy locally produced raw honey. Most of the mom and pop places aren't adulterating their honey. And unless someone has an allergy to bee pollen, raw honey is perfectly safe to consume and use medicinally.

Feb 9, 2024, 21:38
Re: Augmented-cotton bandage kills bacteria without using antibiotics. Feb 9, 2024, 21:38
Feb 9, 2024, 21:38

The trick is getting real honey.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Feb 9, 2024, 18:12
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 9, 2024, 18:12
Feb 9, 2024, 18:12

Robert Lawson wrote on Feb 9, 2024, 18:05:
Hey Blue, I also have a fascination for WW2's aerial war as my father flew bomber missions over Germany in B-25s and B-17s.
Wow! Well, I guess I already expressed this above, but hats off to your dad. It's hard to imagine the courage that took.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Feb 9, 2024, 18:05
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 9, 2024, 18:05
Feb 9, 2024, 18:05

Hey Blue, I also have a fascination for WW2's aerial war as my father flew bomber missions over Germany in B-25s and B-17s.

Feb 9, 2024, 17:58
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 9, 2024, 17:58
Feb 9, 2024, 17:58

My dad served in the south Pacific during WW2 as a radio operator on a Mitchell bomber. He got stationed in New Guinea which was brutal in terms of day to day living ie; malaria and yellow fever which he contracted (he said he never felt himself physically thereafter) , the heat, food, clean water etc. He eventually went on leave to Australia and relayed the story of a date he had in which they were driving over the Sydney Harbour Bridge when a blackout was ordered as word came down of a possible enemy sub was in the harbour. So traffic stopped and he was "stuck" spending an evening with a lovely Aussie lass in a darkened city in a car. No sub was spotted. "God bless the Aussies" he always said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Feb 9, 2024, 16:24
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 9, 2024, 16:24
Feb 9, 2024, 16:24

test HIFI? Led Zep communication breakdown. Pink Floyd Sorrow. Foo Fighters End over End.

Thise tracks regularly rest our HIFI
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Feb 9, 2024, 14:22
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 9, 2024, 14:22
Feb 9, 2024, 14:22

Foundation cast ‘sent home’ from filming as Apple TV+ production is suddenly ‘postponed.’
Oh man, if Foundation gets canceled now, I'll be livid. It's one of my favorite shows ever. There's been some damn good sci-fi over the years, but this one is on another level - the scope is just mind-boggling. If you're a sci-fi fan and haven't seen this yet, I highly recommend it.

Feb 9, 2024, 14:10
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 9, 2024, 14:10
Feb 9, 2024, 14:10

Since we are revisiting the "glory" of WW2, I would absolutely love to see a limited series based on the exploits of the USS Barb (SS-220). That sub was legendary in its own day, not after the fact. It is also the only sub in US history to blow up a train AND bridge without the use of a missile.

Feb 9, 2024, 13:34
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 9, 2024, 13:34
Feb 9, 2024, 13:34

Yep, I love all the Spielberg/Hanks produced WWII stuff. Some minor Hollywood bullshittery with facts, but mostly accurate. The Pacific is finally getting some attention as well, due to this show. And I don't know if people know this, but the Clint Eastwood directed Flags of our Father and Letters from Iwo Jim are also Spielberg productions and fantastic movies based on historical accounts from WWII.

Rewatching The Pacific with my wife, who had not seen it. (I'm a WWII history nut, she's not so much.) It's actually toned down from reality in some places. The men who went to Australia called it "The great Debauch" and Bob Leckie - who wrote one of the books the show is based on - slept with a bunch of women, not just one. And the one from the show is made up. In reality, his month long love affair was an AFFAIR with a married woman. (Although he did not know that at first.)
And John Basilone, by all accounts, took that bunker on Iwo Jima by himself. In the show they show it as a group effort, but in reality he threw grenades to distract the Japanese, then tossed in the charge, then killed everyone who ran out of the bunker, got his men up and stationed by the airfield, then ran back to the beach and single handedly led a tank through the obstructions to the airfield, and was then killed running back around the airfield to his men. I guess the writers felt it was too unbelievable and toned down his heroics.

I have to keep my mouth shut with Masters of the Air. I've read the books, so I know who lives and who dies and how and I'm trying not to ruin it for my wife. But I am with Dick Winters on this. Better to have been on the ground in charge of your own destiny that sitting in the plane, hoping you don't die before you even get to jump out. Most of the guys on those B17s had zero chance, and it's not like the pilots could move the plane much on a bombing run, so you're just sitting there taking it. Ugh.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2024, 13:47.

Feb 9, 2024, 13:32
Re: OotB: Mastery Feb 9, 2024, 13:32
Feb 9, 2024, 13:32

I want to give all my money to the Alaska Raptor Center. All of their "The Alaska Raptor Center's top 10 post of 202#" 2020, 21, 22 and 23 on youtube are an uplifting watch.
The 2 year old youtube "VFX Artists React to DUNE Bad & Great CGi" comparing the 80's version with the new one is worth a watch. You can clearly see that it's not Patrick Stewart in one part of the shield animation training.lol
I remember an ad for a Volkswagen Rabbit (early 80's). It made a big deal about having a Blue Led for the low fuel light. those were the days
"I expect death to be nothingness and by removing from me all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism." Isaac Asimov

Augmented-cotton bandage kills bacteria without using antibiotics.
Feb 9, 2024, 13:30
Augmented-cotton bandage kills bacteria without using antibiotics. Feb 9, 2024, 13:30
Feb 9, 2024, 13:30

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older