GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year?

GameWatcher translates details from Krafton's financial reporting on plans for Subnautica 2, the upcoming submerged action sequel from Unknown Worlds. A report last year said this should be expected in 2025, but this latest update says the game will launch this year with co-op support as one of those games as a service that everyone loves so much:
Subnautica 2 is being developed with Unreal Engine 5, adopting a Game as a Service model. Players will explore an "oceanic world in stunning stylized graphics.".

The report indicates that the game will feature a single-player mode, or players can team up with friends for a 4-player co-op session to "uncover the mysteries on an entirely new alien planet."

Subnautica 2 is scheduled for release in 2024. Currently, details are scarce, with no screenshots or gameplay footage available yet.
View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year?
Feb 8, 2024, 11:31
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 11:31
Feb 8, 2024, 11:31

Oh for the love of god... Here we go again. I really liked Subnautica too.
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Feb 8, 2024, 11:45
El Pit

Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 11:45
Feb 8, 2024, 11:45
 El Pit

Ideas like this one need to be GaaSed and then buried somewhere deep in the Mojave desert - this is the way the Las Vegas mob taught us to deal with stupid ideas.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Feb 8, 2024, 12:10
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 12:10
Feb 8, 2024, 12:10

Who want to bet the single-player mode will need constant online connection?? expecting "cannot connect server" even for single play?
“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Feb 8, 2024, 12:11
Shock

Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 12:11
Feb 8, 2024, 12:11
 Shock

In October 2021, the studio was acquired by South Korean video game developer Krafton.

Welp, there's your problem

Feb 8, 2024, 12:45
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 12:45
Feb 8, 2024, 12:45

This really confused me for a second, since I was sure that Subnautica already had a sequel... but I guess since they didn't have a "2" in the title, they just went with that for this one, instead of going with "3" since it's the third game or actually just using a sub-title again.

Feb 8, 2024, 13:02
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 13:02
Feb 8, 2024, 13:02

Hah I am curious how they wanna GaaSify a game like this. It will be pretty funny to see.

This will be great...
Feb 8, 2024, 14:24
This will be great... Feb 8, 2024, 14:24
Feb 8, 2024, 14:24

The first game spent about three years in early access, gathering feedback and being improved. Below Zero spent about two years in early access. This one is (supposedly) less than a year away, GaaS monetized, and no one's seen as much as a screenshot? If that's not a sign of guaranteed quality, I don't know what is.

At least it's a good reminder to give Subnautica a replay.

Re: This will be great...
Feb 8, 2024, 14:48
Prez

Re: This will be great... Feb 8, 2024, 14:48
Feb 8, 2024, 14:48
 Prez

Hey I hate live service games as much as anyone possibly could, but I at least give them credit for being upfront about it.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 8, 2024, 15:00
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 15:00
Feb 8, 2024, 15:00

MacLeod wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 12:45:
This really confused me for a second, since I was sure that Subnautica already had a sequel... but I guess since they didn't have a "2" in the title, they just went with that for this one, instead of going with "3" since it's the third game or actually just using a sub-title again.

Below Zero is more of a expansion turned into a full game. That I lost interest in after 30 hours or so.

Feb 8, 2024, 15:08
mch
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 15:08
Feb 8, 2024, 15:08
mch

Some updated info from Unknown Worlds here.

In reference to “Games-as-a-Service,” we simply plan to continually update the game for many years to come, just like the previous two Subnautica games. Think our Early Access update model, expanded. No season passes. No battle passes. No subscription.

Feb 8, 2024, 15:10
mch
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 15:10
Feb 8, 2024, 15:10
mch

FloorPie wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 15:00:

Below Zero is more of a expansion turned into a full game. That I lost interest in after 30 hours or so.

I really had to force myself through that one. I think the isolation of the first Subnautica is what drew me to it, and BZ's addition of other characters you communicate with (correct me if I'm wrong) sort of spoiled that for me. The world also felt a bit smaller and more restricted.

It wasn't terrible, but I much preferred the original.

Feb 8, 2024, 15:30
El Pit

Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 15:30
Feb 8, 2024, 15:30
 El Pit

mch wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 15:08:

In reference to “Games-as-a-Service,” we simply plan to continually update the game for many years to come, just like the previous two Subnautica games. Think our Early Access update model, expanded. No season passes. No battle passes. No subscription.

Missing the most important information: Can single-player be played offline? This is the info I am interested in, not the "Hey, let us use smoke and mirrors and close the thread for comments" stuff they just pulled off.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)
Founder, president, and only member of the official "Grumpy Old Gamers Club". Please do not apply.

Feb 8, 2024, 16:34
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 16:34
Feb 8, 2024, 16:34

Oh fudge that poop! GaaS = heck no. And stylized graphics? Stylized graphics are fine for some games like WoW. In Subnautica it only works if it's realistic. The first time a Leviathan comes at you out of the dark, one of those Spider Crab guys teleports you out of your mini-sub and attacks you are anus clenching moments because of the realism involved in the depiction. Let's hope this is all seriously wrong.

Thumbsdown
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Feb 8, 2024, 16:41
Prez

Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 16:41
Feb 8, 2024, 16:41
 Prez

mch wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 15:08:

I mean how could anyone complain about that right? Except if that was all that matters, then why make it 'live service' at all? Some of us aren't that easily placated. They aren't going to get a pass just by trying to be cute - frequent patches and ongoing support doesn't require it be a live service despite whatever shit they are shoveling.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 8, 2024, 17:06
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 17:06
Feb 8, 2024, 17:06

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 13:02:
Hah I am curious how they wanna GaaSify a game like this. It will be pretty funny to see.

Quite easy. You can only dive to a depth of 1000 meters with the base game. You need to buy the 'Dive Deeper' DLC to be able to dive beyond 1000 meters and the 'Dive Even Deeper' DLC to dive beyond 2000m and finally the 'Mariana DLC' to be able to dive all the way to the deepest depths of the ocean.

And if you want to be able to pick up anything of value at depth then you need to also buy the 'Grab shit at depth' DLC and the 'Floodlight DLC' to be able to even see shit. You also need the 'Exotic Fishies' DLC if you want to see more than just blackness at depth.

Dude... I would monetize the shit out of this game if it was GaaS. So many possibilities for milking, it's not even funny. You could have hundreds of DLCs for fishies alone and every level of depth could require its own DLCs to unlock the next depth level. And we haven't even started on DLCs for submarine mods, tuning, skins, tools, weapons/harpoons or anything of that kind.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Feb 8, 2024, 19:00
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 8, 2024, 19:00
Feb 8, 2024, 19:00

mch wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 15:10:
FloorPie wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 15:00:

I really had to force myself through that one. I think the isolation of the first Subnautica is what drew me to it, and BZ's addition of other characters you communicate with (correct me if I'm wrong) sort of spoiled that for me. The world also felt a bit smaller and more restricted.

It wasn't terrible, but I much preferred the original.

Yeah the smaller world was not helping. They forced you into the caves early on which got annoying and with air plants every where it was easy (but at least not too annoying). I built one big base near the starting zone and that was it.

Many didnt like the story and the main character that you play as self narrating the story as she/you go along. I could see the complaints but it didn't bother me much. The overall story just was odd and didn't work. You could tell they had re-wrote the story a couple of times (orig writer was fired IIRC).

I lasted maybe 10 hours before I started spawning in resources and any crafting plans I couldn't find in the world. Farming stuff just didn't appeal at all. Later on I just couldn't be motivated to finish the storyline even with looking up some locations and cheating items in.

Feb 9, 2024, 09:32
Re: GaaS Subnautica 2 This Year? Feb 9, 2024, 09:32
Feb 9, 2024, 09:32

To be honest, Subnautica was really the poster child for Early Access GaaS done correctly. Get player feedback, iterate and improve, polish, and release. If they carry that model forward into post release content then that would qualify as GaaS without being fucking bullshit.

I'm optimistic.
Ancient
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer