Homeworld 3 Delayed Again

Blackbird Interactive xeets the news that Homeworld 3 has hit another snag in the space-time continuum, and is delayed again. Barely two months after announcing a March 8th release date comes news the sci-fi RTS sequel is now due on May 13th, with Early Access on May 10th. Here's the post, converted from image to text and from brutal all-caps to sentence case:
We hope you all have been enjoying your first-time going hands-on with Homeworld 3 during our public demo of war games.

Watching you share your experiences. Exchange and debate strategies, and give us constant feedback has been incredible. This was our first time seeing the game played at scale, which is always an equally thrilling and nerve-wracking moment.

We also recently gathered a dedicated group of players from outside our organizations to play through the full game. This resulted in additional insights and perspective that will be incorporated to make Homeworld 3 the best experience possible.

After careful analysis of feedback, we made the decision to delay the global launch of Homeworld 3 until May 13, with advanced access set for May 10, to ensure that we're making the final tweaks needed to deliver at the level of quality that we strive for and you deserve.

To say that you as a community of players have been waiting patiently for this next installment would be an understatement, and we are deeply appreciative of that. We will continue to keep you updated on our progress.

As always, you're welcome to send your feedback via social channels, the Homeworld Universe discord. And through our support page.

Thank you all for playing, and we'll talk again soon.
View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again
Feb 7, 2024, 19:14
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 7, 2024, 19:14
Feb 7, 2024, 19:14

Oh this suuuuuuucks!
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Feb 7, 2024, 23:49
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 7, 2024, 23:49
Feb 7, 2024, 23:49

Exactly the correct and responsible decision if this indeed delivers a polished and finished product at release. The experience that Homeworld 3 will offer will be all the more memorable if it is a full-featured and comprehensive product.

Feb 8, 2024, 00:42
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 00:42
Feb 8, 2024, 00:42

Farther away from Feb the better. This is already a stacked month.

Feb 8, 2024, 01:02
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 01:02
Feb 8, 2024, 01:02

I'm disappointed, but because it sounds like they are taking feedback from the demo and stuff and want to make more improvements then it's for the best. I want it to be as good as it can be upon release.
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Feb 8, 2024, 02:04
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 02:04
Feb 8, 2024, 02:04

Kastagir wrote on Feb 7, 2024, 23:49:
polished and finished product at release.

Hahahahhhahaha......Ahahahahhhahah.....Hahahhahahhaha......Hahhaah....

It's crunch time.

Feb 8, 2024, 03:39
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 03:39
Feb 8, 2024, 03:39

Translation: Wishlist numbers dropped massively so we have to counter-steer

Feb 8, 2024, 06:49
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 06:49
Feb 8, 2024, 06:49

Much preferable to the prevalent laziness of so many recent long awaited games that get released and are absolute sh*t shows of bugs and zero optimization (Looking at you Cities Skylines 2.)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Feb 8, 2024, 08:55
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 08:55
Feb 8, 2024, 08:55

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 03:39:
Yeah, okay. Everyone I've talked to rather liked the demo, it just needs some more polish. So I call BS on your comment.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2024, 09:09.
“For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”
― Richard P. Feynman

Feb 8, 2024, 10:25
Prez

Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 10:25
Feb 8, 2024, 10:25
 Prez

Dammit.

As far as the demo went, I am still revisiting it but I have mostly gotten used to the controls. I spent an enormous percentage of my time tweaking the controls to my liking, but I have real trouble with fully 3 dimensional control schemes, so I don't think that is a complaint. I doubt games are made with half-blind dimwitted cripples in mind. 🤪 I enjoyed the demo but there wasn't too much there. Good foundation though.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 8, 2024, 10:40
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 10:40
Feb 8, 2024, 10:40

Leahi84 wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 08:55:
Yeah, okay. Everyone I've talked to rather liked the demo, it just needs some more polish. So I call BS on your comment.
Steam forums, youtube and twitch disagree with your assement. Haven't seen anyone who thought "this is a great Homeworld sequel"
If anything, people call this a game made for phones and they got a point given the zoomed in awful UI.

Feb 8, 2024, 11:00
Prez

Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 11:00
Feb 8, 2024, 11:00
 Prez

You're both pointing to anecdotal evidence which, while valuable in some respects, makes it impossible for either of you to represent the actual truth. Neither of you can know the actual truth - opinions of your circle of friends and acquaintances or the opinions of a vocal minority largely conditioned to hate everything don't and cannot show a consensus on anything. You're going by the opinions that represent an extraordinarily tiny fraction of what 'consensus' would actually constitute compared to the opinions of your inner circle or the posted opinions on social media which is geared heavily towards negativity. Because your perceptions will only be reality if by total accident, I would refrain from doing anything more than giving your personal opinion, and it is certainly not worth arguing over, but I am sure I am just pissing in the wind here.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2024, 11:34.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 8, 2024, 12:36
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 12:36
Feb 8, 2024, 12:36

Leahi84 wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 08:55:

As @eRe4s3r already said, you might want to stick your head out of your personal bubble of "who you talked to" some time and you would realize that the demo has been met with widespread criticism. Your ability to ignore reality is also remarkable. Why do you think they delayed the game this short before the announced release date? Because the demo was received so well and because the game is in a perfect state? Come on, man. Let's dial down the fanboying just a tad little bit...
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Feb 8, 2024, 12:52
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 12:52
Feb 8, 2024, 12:52

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 11:00:
You're both pointing to anecdotal evidence which, while valuable in some respects, makes it impossible for either of you to represent the actual truth. Neither of you can know the actual truth - opinions of your circle of friends and acquaintances or the opinions of a vocal minority largely conditioned to hate everything don't and cannot show a consensus on anything. You're going by the opinions that represent an extraordinarily tiny fraction of what 'consensus' would actually constitute compared to the opinions of your inner circle or the posted opinions on social media which is geared heavily towards negativity. Because your perceptions will only be reality if by total accident, I would refrain from doing anything more than giving your personal opinion, and it is certainly not worth arguing over, but I am sure I am just pissing in the wind here.

I just want the game to be not just "ok" but great, and if that requires some feedback some people can't stand (or don't see truth or value in) then that is fine. Clearly BBI got the feedback they wanted from the demo as nobody had played the game prior to this. And if this results in a better game we all benefit.

And by the way, wishlists and pre-order are literally the only metric they have access to. Aside from game telemetry... so you are correct, it could also be massively dropped pre-orders <3

Feb 8, 2024, 12:59
Prez

Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 12:59
Feb 8, 2024, 12:59
 Prez

Oh I agree - I'd rather them parse through the feedback and make the right changes that will improve the game. That's a win for everyone. The trick is ignoring the pile-on nature of negativity, in knowing what feedback is good and what can be implemented, and not making changes based on only a vocal minority. The key to me is offering as much choice as you possibly can.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Feb 8, 2024, 17:16
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 17:16
Feb 8, 2024, 17:16

Prez wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 12:59:
Oh I agree - I'd rather them parse through the feedback and make the right changes that will improve the game. That's a win for everyone. The trick is ignoring the pile-on nature of negativity, in knowing what feedback is good and what can be implemented, and not making changes based on only a vocal minority. The key to me is offering as much choice as you possibly can.

Weird how people forget that the Homeworld games were not smash hits. They became popular after their sale run. People in general cannot handle a 3D game world for an RTS. I don't understand it but I've talked to a developer who was a big part of the Homeworld series and he confirmed that people just do not adjust to true 3D space. I've never had an issue with it but I'm in a minority...

That is why I'm pleasantly surprised that they are making a Homeworld 3 at all. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out that a lot of people like it...but it was always going to be a tough sell to the masses.

I don't have a significant issue with the controls at all. HW is not a twitch RTS where victory is measured by your KPI...not sure what people were expecting.

Feb 8, 2024, 19:59
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 8, 2024, 19:59
Feb 8, 2024, 19:59

I love the Homeworld games but I will raise my hand as one who finds navigating in their trickier 3d depth environment too confusing. I lose my bearings. Then an alert pops up and I get frazzled. Typically, I forget any attempt at strategy at that point and send all ships to the red markers.

I'm just not made for this type of game despite loving them.

Feb 9, 2024, 09:08
Re: Homeworld 3 Delayed Again Feb 9, 2024, 09:08
Feb 9, 2024, 09:08

Slashman wrote on Feb 8, 2024, 17:16:
People in general cannot handle a 3D game world for an RTS. I don't understand it but I've talked to a developer who was a big part of the Homeworld series and he confirmed that people just do not adjust to true 3D space. I've never had an issue with it but I'm in a minority...

I think this is important to highlight due to its veracity.

Homeworld stood out to me because it was a truly 360 degree sphere of interaction and I loved it. But, like Slashman, I am also in the minority. If you watch people long enough, you notice a pattern and it is not unique to humans. In fact, it is a pattern that is quite common in predatory species in environments that are familiar to them. Predators look forward and only occasionally do 180 degree sweeps from one side to the other. Less common is a backward glance unless something triggers that response. Even less common is looking up without stimulus. Rather, the focus is on a 180 degree half bubble in front with reliance on peripheral vision filling in the details above, below, left, and right. Unless you have stimulus, training, or are hypervigilant, the average person just doesn't actively consider themselves within a 360 degree sphere.

Getting someone to consider that and act accordingly required people to start thinking in ways that were uncomfortable and foreign to them. They're not used to that kind of spatial and informational processing which causes stress. They feel overloaded with the data since they're processing double the visual, auditory, and spatial information than they are used to processing, categorizing, and filing away.

It's so common that a phrase was invented to make people aware of this deficit. That phrase is "keep your head on a swivel". It was meant to teach people the concept of expanding their awareness to include potential threats from above, below, left, right, and behind them at all times.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer